Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
One of my frequent customers (coffee cart) started a new job this week and she received a telling off for leaving the office to buy a coffee mid-morning. She's a mature woman who's had a lot of work experience and is nothing but professional. She's already worked overtime, trying to make a good impression and is excellent at what she does. So to pull her up on this is weird. It's written into her contract that she is entitled to a 15-minute break each morning and afternoon, so there shouldn't be any issue. Everyone at her new workplace stops at morning and afternoon tea and goes into the kitchen area, but she likes to spend that time making personal calls and getting some fresh air. So strange.

Reactions: 5
Useless meetings at 9.30am. After I logged off yesterday, someone scheduled a meeting for 9.30am today. I only got the invite when I logged in. It was a 30 minutes call.

I joined the call and it was 10 minutes of the other attendees fixing their audio issues. After 3 minutes of their “can you hear me” between the two of them, I said “I’ll drop off guys, let me know once you’ve sorted your issues and I’ll join again”. I could hear both of them but they couldn’t hear each other - I honestly don’t have time to sit around and watch people play with their headsets for 10 minutes (which is exactly how long it took for the two of them to sort it out).

20 minutes reiterating items we had already discussed offline twice.

What is the point, really?

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
When I get an email notifiction pop up, and it starts with just my name rather than a greeting, eg:

Jane,
Please could you...

Rather than

Hi Jane,
Please could you...

It just feels condescending to me. It has a very slight passive‐aggressive touch to it. Makes me anxious and not want to read it.

Reactions: 16
This sounds so petty when I write it down but my colleague just really pissed me off :ROFLMAO:

I put a teabag and sugar in my mug and put the kettle on to boil, but my phone rang so I ran back to my desk to quickly answer it whilst the kettle boiled.

In that time my colleague went in the kitchen, made herself a drink completely emptying the kettle and didn't even bother to re-fill it. My mug was literally on the side and there's only us 2 here so she knew I was making a drink! Considering the only milk in the fridge is my soya milk which I paid for, her drink is looking suspiciously milky too so she's pinched my milk as well! Cheeky cow :ROFLMAO:
This does my head in - is it that hard to refill and press the button again?!

Colleagues muttering to themselves loudly while I am trying to focus.

Just had a teams meeting where about 3 people didn't turn up, wasted quarter of an hour of the time for the rest of us who tuned in.
---
This does my head in - is it that hard to refill and press the button again?!
Some people are so selfish...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Colleagues (always men) that ask 'have you got 5 mins?' who then proceed to go on and on about something personal to them in work just to use you as a sounding board.

I stopped replying 'not really' as they would always just say 'it won't take long' and you'd get sucked in. Now, I don't reply at all.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’m about to lose my cool because of one coworker today.

1. We had a meeting scheduled for 10am and they moved it to 11am. Fine, no worries.
2. Then, they moved it again to 12pm. Ok.
3. 5 minutes before said meeting, they say they need to move it again to 3pm because they need to catch-up with someone else. Ok.
4. Now, 3pm rolls around and they just pinged me saying they’re running late from some external appointment and they might need to move this meeting again.

Complete lack of consideration for me time because I’m WFH today and I haven’t been able to sort my day properly or even go for a walk because of this.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
I love this thread. Been rrading it all day while in a worl grump.

We have a spread sheet that we use for contracts to keep track. Everyone writes the date day-mon-year. One colleague ALWAYS writes it day-number instead of mon- year and it makes it look awful. Like WHY!?

She also repeatedly emails me with the wrong name even though its on everywhere. Sends work my eay which i bounce back and then loudly claims that I am "difficult" in the office, other staff have reported back to me.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I love this thread. Been rrading it all day while in a worl grump.

We have a spread sheet that we use for contracts to keep track. Everyone writes the date day-mon-year. One colleague ALWAYS writes it day-number instead of mon- year and it makes it look awful. Like WHY!?

She also repeatedly emails me with the wrong name even though its on everywhere. Sends work my eay which i bounce back and then loudly claims that I am "difficult" in the office, other staff have reported back to me.
Can I ask, is this on share point or teams? Ive noticed that the formatting seems to change on a shared spreadsheet depending on who opens it & I know they cba going through it to mess it up 🤣

Can I ask, is this on share point or teams? Ive noticed that the formatting seems to change on a shared spreadsheet depending on who opens it & I know they cba going through it to mess it up 🤣
It's on teams! Only happens woth them out of 14+ that use it tho!

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Scheduling a Teams meeting, then sending an email rescheduling the meeting ten minutes after the meeting start time, leaving all the people who showed up hanging. This person has done this four times. I didn't bother responding to the reschedule invitation because they're just going to do it again. Oh, and I was required to complete a 100+ item spreadsheet to prepare.

Yep, and they start with “I know you’ve only just got in”. Then leave me alone!
This happens to me too and is particularly annoying as my official start time isn't actually until half an hour after I'm in - it's just that I like to be early. But give me time to get settled at desk and have a coffee ffs. The other one used to be when one of my managers would ring me after working hours but he doesn't seem to do that much anymore. My phone is my personal one and not a work one and I mentioned it to a colleague whom I reckon may have mentioned it to him and he's gotten the message.
---
I sometimes will go in an hour early or stay late if there is something urgent to be done. One morning I went in that extra hour early only to find out that the urgent thing was now not so urgent and there was an extension of time. My manager hadn't thought to tell me there was no need to come in so early after all and he knew I was coming in extra early to attend to it. I was annoyed at the disrespect for my time.

Back story yesterday
A colleague took cash payments and were not logged on the system - the money was accounted for just not logged
My manager calls me to his office to discuss it 🥴 I say oh X is there call him in and get it sorted
BUT OH NO THATS WAY TO EASY
I then get a meeting request for this morning at 8.15!!???In the email he states get a early night - I will need answers!! To which I've been added into! Why?? lord only knows

Bust my behind to get to work at 8am
The manager doesn't show up till 9.30am and says oh give me 10mins
I said erm sorry I'm late would be nice (I know I know 🥶 frosty) but I'm annoyed.

meeting doesn't take place till 10am and I'm sitting here like a lemon
He's not stern
He's pally pally with the guy
I say sorry looks like I'm not needed you both have it covered and leave
Ffs 🤬🤬🤬🙄🙄🙄 just pointless
Ok rant over
Thanks guys

• Wow
Reactions: 8
Breakout rooms in trainings!! Hate them lol. Absolute waste of time.
I hate this. I go on a course to learn something from someone who knows about the topic, not to discuss random shite with people who also need the training. Most of the time the group doesn't even discuss the right things but someone goes on a tangent about their specific issue/situation that's vaguely relevant to the topic. And everyone usually says a lot of dumb tit. Then after that someone has to report the discussion back to the whole group. I never volunteer for that as it's embarrassing.

Can you tell I really hate breakout groups 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I hate this. I go on a course to learn something from someone who knows about the topic, not to discuss random shite with people who also need the training. Most of the time the group doesn't even discuss the right things but someone goes on a tangent about their specific issue/situation that's vaguely relevant to the topic. And everyone usually says a lot of dumb tit. Then after that someone has to report the discussion back to the whole group. I never volunteer for that as it's embarrassing.

I literally laughed out loud when I read your post because it is spot on! Hilarious!

• Haha
Reactions: 6

there's always someone who has to awkwardly start the discussion, else you all sit there in silence. Ice usually broken by a 'can you all hear me okay'

I hate them too 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I’m on a training and the instructor is like “I will give you FOUR minutes beak only because we’re late”.

Like not 5, but FOUR. I can’t stop laughing because it is ridiculous. We’re late - whose fault is that lol. Yours buddy.

I just can’t right now.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
there's always someone who has to awkwardly start the discussion, else you all sit there in silence. Ice usually broken by a 'can you all hear me okay'

I hate them too 😂
Last time they tried to make us do that not one person in my group said a word. Then when we went back to the main meeting they asked who wanted to summarize the discussion. Again, crickets. They never tried that again.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
When I get an email notifiction pop up, and it starts with just my name rather than a greeting, eg:

Jane,
Please could you...

Rather than

Hi Jane,
Please could you...

It just feels condescending to me. It has a very slight passive‐aggressive touch to it. Makes me anxious and not want to read it.
I agree with this. I think it can sometimes be a culture thing. At my workplace, almost everyone starts emails with "Hi name", but we work with a third party and a lot of their staff start emails with just "Name". When I first started working with them I thought it was direct and a bit rude (some of their staff can be that way) but I think it's just what they're used to.

Mind you, I also work with someone who never starts emails with a greeting and never adds a sign off! She just launches straight into what she wants to say and that's it. So most of her emails are just one paragraph of text.

She's often involved in document approvals and will come back with suggested edits. The only problem is she never accepts anything other than someone taking all of her edits on board. So, even if you've got a really good reason not to make an edit that she's suggested, she just replies with a repeat of the edit she wants. Then, even worse, sometimes when you've made all her suggested edits and ask her for final approval she'll come back with more comments that she didn't raise the first time. I once had to escalate to someone senior and he just replied with: "these are now classed as approved, we've all had ample opportunity to comment and every relevant comment has been addressed". She didn't like it. 😂

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.