Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember an induction i did for an office job we had to tell 1 really interesting fact about ourselves i am not good at speaking in front of 15 people i dont know as i was 12th out of 15 and all these really interesting things my mouth decided to say "I once went Goat herding in the nmountains of Peru" I think my brain disowned my mouth and went home, it impressed 1 or 2 but for some reason a few didnt believe it
Was that a lie?

I genuinely don't know what I'd say to that, I don't have any really interesting facts about me and I dont think there's anything wrong with that. Anything I could say would be either inappropriate for work or illegal 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Was that a lie?

I genuinely don't know what I'd say to that, I don't have any really interesting facts about me and I dont think there's anything wrong with that. Anything I could say would be either inappropriate for work or illegal 😂
Just pick a headline off the front of Take A Break and brave it out

• Haha
Reactions: 15
When you know how to do certain aspects of the job and save everyone time and effort to get an early finish but your know it all trying to impress each other colleagues want to do everything in a very over involved time consuming way to achieve the same result . We recently have a new batch of 20 somethings in my work place who know everything and yet seem to spend all day phoning their parents about any and every little problem whether at work or personal life . I just don’t get it I know people in their 20s who are married with kids yet the ones I work with seem to need micro managed and babied all day it’s so draining . They also can’t do anything alone everything’s got to be arranged like they are at school and only booking training or meetings if they can go together .
this isn’t a dig at all 20 somethings it’s just these ones I work with seem so bloody immature to have the responsibility of making decisions about other peoples lives .
I worked with a thirty something year old man-baby who did that. Our jobs were the same, just in two different arms of the company. We acquired a new boss, he went around the houses with voluminous reports to impress her. I'm more a fan of bullet points and clarity.

At one time when we had some particularly unexciting quarterly return to do, he said to me, the bad news is I have it already done. As in, haha, beat you to it. I said I'm not sure who you're competing with but I am not in competition with anyone. 🙄

Just pick a headline off the front of Take A Break and brave it out
I ditched Mr Right to have a stranger's five kids
Mum left so stepdad made me his wife
I let my toyboy date other women
My bloke wooed another woman with our song
Fellas fake baby scan convinced me I'm pregnant
Bedroom disaster left my head hanging by a thread (Jesus that's some awful nearly headless Nick vibes)

Just a few picks i thought I'd share in case anyone else needs to prep for future ice breakers

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Was that a lie?

Yes it was a total lie. :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: 5
One of my colleagues writes ridiculously long emails and can ever just give a straightforward quick response. I think he thinks it makes him look clever, but it makes him look like a twit. He’s also a complete work dodger! I am sure my manager would love to get rid of him if he could.

We had to discuss minor issues we had in work once as part of a training day. I think it was some bollocks about ‘active listening’. I didn’t have any problems so made up that I felt my boss was stifling my creative and cultural true self by not allowing me to speak German whenever I wanted. I was really getting into it. By the end, everyone was like ‘the bastard! How dare he!’ :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I’m about to lose my cool because of one coworker today.

1. We had a meeting scheduled for 10am and they moved it to 11am. Fine, no worries.
2. Then, they moved it again to 12pm. Ok.
3. 5 minutes before said meeting, they say they need to move it again to 3pm because they need to catch-up with someone else. Ok.
4. Now, 3pm rolls around and they just pinged me saying they’re running late from some external appointment and they might need to move this meeting again.

Complete lack of consideration for me time because I’m WFH today and I haven’t been able to sort my day properly or even go for a walk because of this.
That's so annoying when someone moves around a meeting that often . Do you block out time over lunch to go for lunch - it would mean they wouldn't schedule a meeting over lunch and you can get your walk in. If I have something I want to do over lunch I block out an hour and set it to "out of office" so I know that time is mine.

Reactions: 1
When you know how to do certain aspects of the job and save everyone time and effort to get an early finish but your know it all trying to impress each other colleagues want to do everything in a very over involved time consuming way to achieve the same result . We recently have a new batch of 20 somethings in my work place who know everything and yet seem to spend all day phoning their parents about any and every little problem whether at work or personal life . I just don’t get it I know people in their 20s who are married with kids yet the ones I work with seem to need micro managed and babied all day it’s so draining . They also can’t do anything alone everything’s got to be arranged like they are at school and only booking training or meetings if they can go together .
this isn’t a dig at all 20 somethings it’s just these ones I work with seem so bloody immature to have the responsibility of making decisions about other peoples lives .
I work with someone like this in her 50s. She phones her elderly mum daily whenever something goes wrong.
---
One of my colleagues writes ridiculously long emails and can ever just give a straightforward quick response. I think he thinks it makes him look clever, but it makes him look like a twit. He’s also a complete work dodger! I am sure my manager would love to get rid of him if he could.
Long emails with no paragraphs 😩

Reactions: 2
A colleague who is quite literally incompetent spent 3hrs collating a list of staff in our team (there are about 50 people) to send them a save the date for an away day on teams. The sad thing is she rang me to basically name everyone because she is useless and half the names she put forward had left pre-covid. How is she still employed 🤬

Reactions: 4
Multiple people in the office having their volume turned all the way up on all their devices so it's a constant PING PING PING of emails, Whatsapp messages etc and I mean constantly 😅 So annoying

Reactions: 11
WFH people who announce on group Teams “I’m going on lunch break”.
We got told at the start of the pandemic we have to do this so that our team who where we are.

I literally couldn't care less whether someone is on lunch or not.

ETA the only people who like it are people who think they are technophobe when really they are lazy bastards you cba to check someone's status and the time

• Haha
I work with someone like this in her 50s. She phones her elderly mum daily whenever something goes wrong.
---

Long emails with no paragraphs 😩
I worked with a woman who spent hours on the phone every day with her mother and her fiance's mother where they micro-managed every single part of the fiance's life for him. The rest of us had to listen to interminable conversations about what he should be wearing or having for his lunch.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
I worked with a woman who spent hours on the phone every day with her mother and her fiance's mother where they micro-managed every single part of the fiance's life for him. The rest of us had to listen to interminable conversations about what he should be wearing or having for his lunch.
Oh yes, people who involve the office in personal stuff get on my nerves. Someone on my team has just got married this year, we got a whole year leading up to it of her bouncing up to us to show us potential colours, bridesmaid dresses, flowers, cake, on and on about deposits and how hard the guest list is to whittle down etc etc, complete and incessant updates as though we were all personally involved... It was bliss the week she was on honeymoon, nice and quiet in the office 😅 Then she came back and we got all the holiday pics, we had to crowd round her phone whilst she showed us, and all the gifts she got from her registry 🙄

Now she's looking for a new house and we are getting constant updates on their mortgage plans, possible providers, possible search areas, council tax bands etc

None of us give a tit but it's daily updates it is getting to be too much. I know more about her plans than my own life at this point. I have earbuds that I have started putting in when she starts up again, hoping she takes the hint.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Oh yes, people who involve the office in personal stuff get on my nerves. Someone on my team has just got married this year, we got a whole year leading up to it of her bouncing up to us to show us potential colours, bridesmaid dresses, flowers, cake, on and on about deposits and how hard the guest list is to whittle down etc etc, complete and incessant updates as though we were all personally involved... It was bliss the week she was on honeymoon, nice and quiet in the office 😅 Then she came back and we got all the holiday pics, we had to crowd round her phone whilst she showed us, and all the gifts she got from her registry 🙄

Now she's looking for a new house and we are getting constant updates on their mortgage plans, possible providers, possible search areas, council tax bands etc

None of us give a tit but it's daily updates it is getting to be too much. I know more about her plans than my own life at this point. I have earbuds that I have started putting in when she starts up again, hoping she takes the hint.
We worked with someone like this. Then she got pregnant. We all lived every minute of that pregnancy too. Hell.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 13
Not a colleague, but we have a visitor who comes and tells us her life story every morning. She doesn't read social cues very well - she'll stand front and centre at the cart ranting while queues form, and you can't interrupt her because she just talks over the top. A couple of our staff have had problems moving her on and her antics are costing our business (customers expect to be served quickly, and rightly so).

When she came along while I was on the other day, I did just talk over the top of her and asked the next person in line what they would like which prompted them to move forward; she still carried on talking but eventually got the message and wandered off. Another time I said to her - before she started talking (I got in first - ha!) that if she didn't want to buy anything (she never has) then I wouldn't have time to talk today because we're very busy ... at that, she grunted and wandered off.

The staff members who have complained about not being able to move her on have tried the same tactics as I have, but they haven't worked. I don't really know what else we can do to get rid of her though - you can't trespass someone for being annoying, and it's public property that we're on (Council-owned; we pay a monthly rental for the spot).

Reactions: 6
Not a colleague, but we have a visitor who comes and tells us her life story every morning. She doesn't read social cues very well - she'll stand front and centre at the cart ranting while queues form, and you can't interrupt her because she just talks over the top. A couple of our staff have had problems moving her on and her antics are costing our business (customers expect to be served quickly, and rightly so).

When she came along while I was on the other day, I did just talk over the top of her and asked the next person in line what they would like which prompted them to move forward; she still carried on talking but eventually got the message and wandered off. Another time I said to her - before she started talking (I got in first - ha!) that if she didn't want to buy anything (she never has) then I wouldn't have time to talk today because we're very busy ... at that, she grunted and wandered off.

The staff members who have complained about not being able to move her on have tried the same tactics as I have, but they haven't worked. I don't really know what else we can do to get rid of her though - you can't trespass someone for being annoying, and it's public property that we're on (Council-owned; we pay a monthly rental for the spot).

Yeah, I used to work in a civic centre building. Local government offices on the upper floors and spaces on the ground floor for self-help groups and community organisations to book for whatever they wanted.

I mostly worked doing filing and various odd jobs but would have to work on the information desk sometimes. The number of weirdos we got was unreal. Some days it was all calm and quiet but others were like a tag team. You'd just get rid of one nutter only for another to come in straight afterward. Most were annoying but harmless but there were a few we'd have to get back up as they could turn violent quite quickly.

One of the violent ones was a wizened old man. He would claim that we had stolen something of his and wanted it back. The 'something' was always an item of great value like jewelry, a musical instrument, artwork etc. None of which we would have any dealings with. He collared a colleague once and wanted her to give back his racehorse! If you didn't get him out the door before he had worked himself up into a rage then he'd start throwing stuff and dismantling the shelves and displays.

This was in the 1990s and pre-internet so I wouldn't fancy doing it now what with the amount of crazies fired up by the likes of Facebook and Twitter thinking our humdrum building is the headquarters of the New World Order or something.

• Wow
Reactions: 6
Yeah, I used to work in a civic centre building. Local government offices on the upper floors and spaces on the ground floor for self-help groups and community organisations to book for whatever they wanted.

I mostly worked doing filing and various odd jobs but would have to work on the information desk sometimes. The number of weirdos we got was unreal. Some days it was all calm and quiet but others were like a tag team. You'd just get rid of one nutter only for another to come in straight afterward. Most were annoying but harmless but there were a few we'd have to get back up as they could turn violent quite quickly.

One of the violent ones was a wizened old man. He would claim that we had stolen something of his and wanted it back. The 'something' was always an item of great value like jewelry, a musical instrument, artwork etc. None of which we would have any dealings with. He collared a colleague once and wanted her to give back his racehorse! If you didn't get him out the door before he had worked himself up into a rage then he'd start throwing stuff and dismantling the shelves and displays.

This was in the 1990s and pre-internet so I wouldn't fancy doing it now what with the amount of crazies fired up by the likes of Facebook and Twitter thinking our humdrum building is the headquarters of the New World Order or something.
Heck, that sounds awful!

I was hoping that I'd come into this thread today and see a range of handy tips for getting rid of our problematic customer visitor (she never buys anything)!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.