Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It seems I got lucky that I just have a chest infection that is still lingering. Someone went to the Christmas party with Covid and several staff all had Covid for Christmas. This was because they didnt want to miss a free night out.
The selfishness of some people never fails to surprise me! Hope you feel better soon.

Reactions: 5
A lesson in keeping your own leave records!
I track my annual leave to the T and check the system once a week. The fault does not lie with me but with my previous manager who gave me the wrong information on the carryover policy, not with me forgetting to take the days.

I asked my manager how many days were allowed to be carried into 2023 and he said 10. I had 6 when I asked, so I thought I was fine to carry those into 2023. That was in November when I asked.

I checked my carryover from 2022 today and saw I’d lost a day. I asked my new manager how many days were actually allowed to be carried into 2023 and they said it’s 5 not 10. SMH.

My previous manager is to blame for overstating the amount of days allowed. I believed what he said. How was I supposed to know he was wrong?

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I track my annual leave to the T and check the system once a week. The fault does not lie with me but with my previous manager who gave me the wrong information on the carryover policy, not with me forgetting to take the days.

I asked my manager how many days were allowed to be carried into 2023 and he said 10. I had 6 when I asked, so I thought I was fine to carry those into 2023. That was in November when I asked.

I checked my carryover from 2022 today and saw I’d lost a day. I asked my new manager how many days were actually allowed to be carried into 2023 and they said it’s 5 not 10. SMH.

My previous manager is to blame for overstating the amount of days allowed. I believed what he said. How was I supposed to know he was wrong?
That’s fair enough but surely you have some recourse if it’s not down to you? Our carryover policy is a bit wishy washy but needs to be used by end of March and that’s pretty much the only clarity there is over it.

That’s fair enough but surely you have some recourse if it’s not down to you? Our carryover policy is a bit wishy washy but needs to be used by end of March and that’s pretty much the only clarity there is over it.
My manager told me the day is gone even though they’re aware I was misinformed on more than one occasion by my previous management. No recourse apparently. They suggested to reach out to HR which I did, still waiting for their reply.

To think managers are your go to for HR questions. Moving forward, I’ll just use up all my entitlements.

Reactions: 3
My manager told me the day is gone even though they’re aware I was misinformed on more than one occasion by my previous management. No recourse apparently. They suggested to reach out to HR which I did, still waiting for their reply.

To think managers are your go to for HR questions. Moving forward, I’ll just use up all my entitlements.
Don't you have a policy outlining the carry overs allowed etc?

Reactions: 1
Don't you have a policy outlining the carry overs allowed etc?
We do, but the company had temporarily amended the policy due to COVID (for 2020/2021). Either way, if my manager gives me a piece of information, unless it seems completely unreasonable, I don’t always second-guess everything they say to double check with the employee handbook. I had asked someone else and they too thought it was 10 days.

The day is gone now, so I’m annoyed, but I’ll get over it.

Last edited:
We do, but the company had temporarily amended the policy due to COVID (for 2020/2021). Either way, if my manager gives me a piece of information, unless it seems completely unreasonable, I don’t always second-guess everything they say to double check with the employee handbook. I had asked someone else and they too thought it was 10 days.

The day is gone now, so I’m annoyed, but I’ll get over it.
I would always go and read the policy first rather than ask managers, I've been given incorrect information in the past so always best to go with what's written down for everyone to see!

Reactions: 9
When you pop out at lunchtime and ask if anyone wants anything to be polite and people want stuff 🙄🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 21

You are absolutely right, but the rule is read the company policy for yourself.

I learnt this the hard way, once the police misinformed me and I acted on that information.

I told my uncle what happened, and he said your fault, you can read can't you, you should have checked what they were telling you was correct,

My colleague who has managed for the last 7 years (yes you read that right) to avoid learning how to use our national database properly is now being performance managed after my boss finally admitted in a meeting that they couldn’t manage her (no tit) and it should have been nipped in the bud at the time it was beginning to show. She managed to just answer the most simple email queries only and openly admitted to cherry picking the easiest to deal with and I put in a formal complaint last year which was fobbed off with a comment of what I said was bang on but that’s just how she is!!
I’ve just got a promotion and they can see how much I’ve been covering her workload when I’m off in another team. Makes me so mad.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Colleagues who want you to help with something last minute, but seem to get annoyed when you ask for more details, before confirming if it's something you can help with.

This guy asked me for some help but was very vague. I don't want to say yes without discussing the request in more detail, but he's clearly annoyed and just wants me to say yes based on little information. Not gonna happen, mate.

To close the horrible manager saga from my previous job:

Today, I got my performance rating for 2022…In 2022, my dad died and I came back to work after a week to:
1. Absorbing some of previous manager’s work
2. working long hours due to excessive workload
3. staffed on extra projects with senior management no other peer in the team worked on
4. took part in a project overseas
5. Got a shout out from senior management and a couple of mini awards from people outside the team
6. Took part in interviewing new employees with management
7. Was the only member in the team present all year because half of them were sick and I covered for them at times.

Fast forward: My manager failed to mention the awards or the shout out from senior management in their evaluation and gave me the exact same rating as someone who was sick and absent for 7 months out of the one year they spent in the team!! This person had no training and no skills to do the job because they were absent during their whole tenure there and has now moved on. Yet, I went above and beyond and I’m getting the same rating as them?

The manager gave me the lowest “pass” rating (which is you do your job as expected but nothing above and beyond). How? When most of my work above from last year was nothing to do with my day to day responsibilities and my manager stated it was outside the remit of my role yet give me a rating that states you don’t go above & beyond.

The rating below that is essentially “low performing employee”.

Disgusting. I’ll be challenging this on Monday (without mentioning the other employee’s rating obviously).

My new manager who hired me on the basis that I came across as a high performer can now see the rating and conclude that I was an average employee in a junior role.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
My colleague can’t seem to think for himself. He has a more senior role to me (but we don’t work directly together apart from on one topic where for some reason I seem to manage him and direct him). He is my maternity cover while I’m away from February and I think my boss will lose the plot with him.

he seems to misunderstand things a lot and I’m not sure if that’s because he genuinely struggles to follow what people are saying or if he is simply not listening - I think it might be the latter. Then just now he said basically the same of someone external that we work with. I am struggling with him.

He is a really nice person but his laziness is really getting on my nerves recently.

I feel like a mother goose with a very annoying gosling right now. Baby should be a walk in the park when it comes 😂

Reactions: 1
I’ll have served a year in a few months, and I want to last until then, but I’m already looking for other jobs.
I’m just sick of management not even saying good morning to the plebs, just looking right through us at times; taking leave when they want, but making us jump through hoops to take ours; of work being piled on us until we’re at breaking point, but no thanks given for the times we all go above and beyond; and of going home with a splitting headache every day because I don’t lift my head up from my work, almost from the minute I arrive till the minute I leave.
Today I’m having a rare lunch break, but only because the screens are all down - they’re so old they’re almost sellotaped together.
The pay is chronically bad for what we do, so I’m honestly contemplating looking in a completely new, less stressful direction.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 6
Colleagues (especially non native English speakers) who are like “ your English is so good, don’t worry” simply because you were born different country.

Who told you I was worried about my English? It better good be since I started learning English at 2 and went to college in an English speak country where I’ve been living for 12+ years.

They think it’s a conpliment but it’s actually quite rude & patronizing especially from non natives who pretend to be locals.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
A friend was given a stern talking to by her new boss at her new workplace for taking a chair she had no right to.

Nobody told her that the chair you're given is dependent on your place in the pecking order - she didn't actually have a chair to begin with, so grabbed one from what she thought was a spare desk (it was empty, but that's because the person who sits there works between two offices and carries all their stuff - except for their chair - around with them).

What a stupid policy. Just give everyone a chair that's suited to their needs and be done with it!

• Wow
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.