Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My manager -

I had my performance review yesterday. I thanked him for his leadership and highlighted the good things he’s done (he’s done a lot of bad stuff, a lot). I was quite complimentary of him even though it was my performance review.

Then he approached me today on Teams asking “now you can really tell me what you truly think of me as TL”. I said I’d already told him during my year end review yesterday and he was like “I don’t remember. It was your review not mine. I don’t recall you saying anything about me”.

I then just said “I extensively spoke about the great things you did as TL. The review was mine, sure, but it was a two way dialogue”.

Then he stopped the conversation.

He’s honestly looking to argue at every turn. I don’t know what comes over him half the time but he’s not right in the head. I was complimentary of him when I shouldn’t have because he’s the worst TL in history and he dares to say he can’t recall when I spoke positively about him.

I think he just wants me to put that as formal feedback on Workday but I won’t. There is no obligation for me to do so.

• Wow
Reactions: 4
We have a lady helping us out with a few things at the moment and she's absolutely lovely but is a Christmas fanatic and it's wearing a bit thin.

She wears these huge dangly Christmas earrings (seems to have quite the collection) and has put tinsel up everywhere in the office ... I couldn't open the meeting room door the other day because it was wrapped so tightly around the door handle. I asked her to please turn off the Christmas tape (as in, cassette tape - she brought a player and the tape in) off this morning because it's just too much and was starting to feel unprofessional.

• Wow
Reactions: 7
There’s a woman in my team that constantly talks about how much she drinks, it was quite amusing in a haha way when I started, but no one asks about it, she’ll just speak loudly about how she needs a drink or what she’s drank that week, but when you actually listen it’s like an entire litre of a spirit to herself a week. Idk if I should be more sympathetic but it’s bloody annoying

People that find simple tasks difficult. I am not doing their work for them anymore. :mad:

Reactions: 6
Management refused to give me a promotion after almost 3 years of hard work and they may be looking at hiring my replacement with the promotional title I never got. Also, my horrendous manager is getting promoted (after losing his entire team in 6 months).

This is a farce. I just did my handover - glad I’m out of here.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
People that find simple tasks difficult. I am not doing their work for them anymore. :mad:
Christ, I feel this one. It’s like work ethic doesn’t exist anymore and people think everything is beneath them when actually we all have to start somewhere 🤷🏻‍♀️

Reactions: 6
I got a text from someone before asking if I can go and check that they set the alarm at work because they think they may have forgotten to do it and only realised when they arrived back at home.

They've texted me, as I'm the closest to work. It's annoying because this happens nearly every weekend and everyone assumes I'll always drop whatever I'm doing to go and do it. I need to start saying "no".

I think people get lazy and take advantage of those who are always willing to go the extra mile ... especially at this time of year.

I genuinely love all of my workmates with the exception of one person, but the behaviour of some of them at the moment is grating. Every year around this time, people start wandering into the office at whatever time they feel like, and typically leave early ... meaning things slip, and others have to pick up the slack.

Just general helplessness and lack of common sense. We've got a new system which I'm predominately dealing with. It's got a few glitches, but nothing that can't be solved by fiddling with the settings.

But no, I've had a constant stream of the usual suspects saying stuff like "I can't see to the bottom of the page". I had the exact same problem on day 1. I thought "hmm, maybe if I put the zoom to 90%"....Bingo, fixed! Can't be doing with people with no nous about them.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Cough!! I know it's the winter and colds are common place but this Cough has been going on for nearly 2 months now. We've suggested Dr's, walk in centre, online doc, pharmacy etc and all we get is "oh no, I'll battle through it". You may not make it before you get murdered.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
say how ‘naughty’ they are for eating chocolates/ biscuits/cakes. I work in a GP practice and one of the nurses finished an 8 week gym challenge a few weeks ago where she lost 7kg and was on a strict diet.. we get sent lots of chocolates and cakes this time of year from patients and clients etc and the first thing she does when she comes in is ‘complain’ how much bad stuff there is as it’s a temptation to her and then proceeds to eat it.. she was eating cake at 8.30am last week on the sly when I walked in and saw her. I wouldn’t normally care but she keeps yapping on about how she shouldn’t be eating it etc.. just eat the goddamn cake and don’t cause a fuss!!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
say how ‘naughty’ they are for eating chocolates/ biscuits/cakes. I work in a GP practice and one of the nurses finished an 8 week gym challenge a few weeks ago where she lost 7kg and was on a strict diet.. we get sent lots of chocolates and cakes this time of year from patients and clients etc and the first thing she does when she comes in is ‘complain’ how much bad stuff there is as it’s a temptation to her and then proceeds to eat it.. she was eating cake at 8.30am last week on the sly when I walked in and saw her. I wouldn’t normally care but she keeps yapping on about how she shouldn’t be eating it etc.. just eat the goddamn cake and don’t cause a fuss!!
Sounds like a typical behaviour coming out of strict diet and not being able to control themselves. Will be back to old weight pretty soon I bet.

Reactions: 3
I hate to post this given this is a new role and I feel like I’m sounding like a chronic complainer at this point. However, I experienced some onboarding hiccups that could have been avoided with appropriate communication;”:

1. My new manager failed to inform me I needed to bring my laptop into work everyday. I moved internally and we didn’t use laptops in my previous role, just two desktop screens. I arrived on Monday and had to return home because I wasn’t informed they operated differently in this team and laptop was mandatory otherwise you can’t work.

2. No one requested my access to the floor I’m supposed to work on and I had to force the security team to grant me access after 3 days because people were sick and tired of playing door keepers. Access to the floor should have been requested by my team before I joined.

3. To top it all off, I was in the office this week and no one from my team showed up for various reasons so I was essentially on my own during my first week with no one to speak to in person.

• Wow
  • Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
I got a text from someone before asking if I can go and check that they set the alarm at work because they think they may have forgotten to do it and only realised when they arrived back at home.

They've texted me, as I'm the closest to work. It's annoying because this happens nearly every weekend and everyone assumes I'll always drop whatever I'm doing to go and do it. I need to start saying "no".

I think people get lazy and take advantage of those who are always willing to go the extra mile ... especially at this time of year.

I genuinely love all of my workmates with the exception of one person, but the behaviour of some of them at the moment is grating. Every year around this time, people start wandering into the office at whatever time they feel like, and typically leave early ... meaning things slip, and others have to pick up the slack.
Laziness really annoys me especially if it's under the guise of 'so sorry I forgot and now I don't have time' ...

Just general helplessness and lack of common sense. We've got a new system which I'm predominately dealing with. It's got a few glitches, but nothing that can't be solved by fiddling with the settings.

But no, I've had a constant stream of the usual suspects saying stuff like "I can't see to the bottom of the page". I had the exact same problem on day 1. I thought "hmm, maybe if I put the zoom to 90%"....Bingo, fixed! Can't be doing with people with no nous about them.
Agree on the common sense front. Constant stream of questions on things that have quite obvious answers if someone just decided to engage their brain beforehand.

Reactions: 5
I hate to post this given this is a new role and I feel like I’m sounding like a chronic complainer at this point. However, I experienced some onboarding hiccups that could have been avoided with appropriate communication;”:

1. My new manager failed to inform me I needed to bring my laptop into work everyday. I moved internally and we didn’t use laptops in my previous role, just two desktop screens. I arrived on Monday and had to return home because I wasn’t informed they operated differently in this team and laptop was mandatory otherwise you can’t work.

2. No one requested my access to the floor I’m supposed to work on and I had to force the security team to grant me access after 3 days because people were sick and tired of playing door keepers. Access to the floor should have been requested by my team before I joined.

3. To top it all off, I was in the office this week and no one from my team showed up for various reasons so I was essentially on my own during my first week with no one to speak to in person.
I'm annoyed for you ... solid induction procedures are a must-have in any organisation.

I've worked at places in the past where there have been little quirks such as this ... and nobody thinks to tell you; it's almost as if they get off on knowing something you don't.

It's probably not part of your role, but if you can jot down all the things that haven't been sorted for/explained to you, and advise your manager - with a view to there being a checklist ticked off before new starters come in - it will work in your favour. If you really like inducting people then you could also offer to do it in going forward?

I work in a small business with low turnover - certainly those who left a few months back to set up their own company haven't been replaced - but we have a number of freelancers and school experience types coming in and doing various things for us. Before they get their login details they have to read our policies and procedures manual and sign to say they've understood everything. And prior to that, I'm the one who ticks off all the boxes on the list - that they've received their alarm code and instructions, their network drive access has been set up, they have whatever permissions they need to access our client database, they've been their access fob ... all that sort of stuff.

Reactions: 9
Cough!! I know it's the winter and colds are common place but this Cough has been going on for nearly 2 months now. We've suggested Dr's, walk in centre, online doc, pharmacy etc and all we get is "oh no, I'll battle through it". You may not make it before you get murdered.
Oh gawd yes, murderous feelings rise for sure as the resident cougher splutters and barks at their desk in martyrdom.

My hairdresser commented recently that she has people coming in, saying 'don't worry it's not covid' as they cough and sneeze.
Well maybe not, but there are other things you can spread about too 🤢

I'm annoyed for you ... solid induction procedures are a must-have in any organisation.

I've worked at places in the past where there have been little quirks such as this ... and nobody thinks to tell you; it's almost as if they get off on knowing something you don't.

It's probably not part of your role, but if you can jot down all the things that haven't been sorted for/explained to you, and advise your manager - with a view to there being a checklist ticked off before new starters come in - it will work in your favour. If you really like inducting people then you could also offer to do it in going forward?

I work in a small business with low turnover - certainly those who left a few months back to set up their own company haven't been replaced - but we have a number of freelancers and school experience types coming in and doing various things for us. Before they get their login details they have to read our policies and procedures manual and sign to say they've understood everything. And prior to that, I'm the one who ticks off all the boxes on the list - that they've received their alarm code and instructions, their network drive access has been set up, they have whatever permissions they need to access our client database, they've been their access fob ... all that sort of stuff.
Agree. They should have an onboarding checklist.

On a different note - today was the first day one of my team members showed up at the office and she didn’t speak one word to me until I approached her around lunch time (except for a quick hi how are you when she got here). She’s supposed to be my buddy. I get she was busy but when you have a new joiner, you should make an effort. Ever since COVID hit, people see coming to the office as a tick a box exercise rather than a measure to collaborate.

• Sad
My God my manager is clinically insane.

He pinged me this morning after yesterdays drama saying “Hello”. When I responded a few minutes later saying “Hi so and so” he went offline and hasn’t responded since.

I don’t know if he just got disconnected or if he’s playing some type of game but he’s really starting to get on my last nerve.
Karma needs to come for him, he seems unhinged and nasty.

• Heart
Someone in our office keeps leaving the toilet unflushed after they've done #2s. This has been going on for the past fortnight, several times a day. Maybe it's more than one person? A plumber was called to make sure that everything was working as it should be (it was).

I honestly don't know who it could be as I know everyone very well - or at least I think I do ...

It's becoming a problem because not only is it a disgusting find for the next person who visits the toilet, but it stinks as they also close the window ... and the toilet is opposite the kitchen (there are doors on the toilet and kitchen but the kitchen door stays open all the time). It's got to the point now where we're all side-eyeing each other, trying to work out who it could be!

Last edited:
  • Sick
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.