Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sometimes I log into a meeting early and stay muted and camera off to confuse people. They come in eager to chat and just get a blank screen whilst I watch them šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ it makes my day better

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Got a PICNIC error with Fred Bloggs and his Teams account'. One day, somebody else will realise it's an acronym for Problem in Chair Not in Computer.
I like this! In the old days it used to be PEBCAK - Problem exists between chair and keyboard

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Sometimes I log into a meeting early and stay muted and camera off to confuse people. They come in eager to chat and just get a blank screen whilst I watch them šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ it makes my day better
Oohh I like it, introducing a sense of unease from the start to increase your power in the meeting. Not sure I have the nerves for this šŸ¤£

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Then, of course, there are the real life meetings.

If it's real life, turn up. Five minutes before the start, not 45 before when I'm hiding out back having a coffee and a vape after printing tit all bleeping day, then sorting tables and cleaning food off them because the staff are bloody animals and still expect to be entertained, made tea and generally welcomed. If you aren't scrubbing Nigel's lunchtime soup off the table with a paper towel and hefting 20 chairs around, kindly bugger off and leave me the duck alone sit in your car. Don't ghost the committee. Don't say yes and then evaporate. AND NEVER PUBLICLY MESSAGE 3 MINUTES AFTER THE MEETING STARTS TO SAY 'YOU HAVEN'T SENT ME THE LINK'.

If there are more than five items on the agenda after the housekeeping stuff, you are on a time limit. Ten minutes is your absolute maximum - imagine that the Governance Bod is mentally working out ways to quietly eviscerate you without leaving forensic evidence, particularly if you then take the opportunity to distribute a 9 page, poorly formatted, not stapled and riddled with typos 'report', most likely colour coded but printed in black and white with the page flip making every other one upside down with any staples you did manage to insert for the last two pages in the bottom right.

And other than in the most extreme circumstances and we're miraculously running under time by at least 37 minutes, Any Other Business is a purely rhetorical device. Do not interpret it as anything other than shorthand for 'We done, then? Great, see you next month'.

AND PUT YOUR DIRTY MUGS IN THE DISHWASHER AS YOU LEAVE.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I've just sent a draft email to someone to send individually to certain staff and asked them to add information from the below email.
5 minutes later I get a call to ask if they can copy the same email and where do they find the info. READ THE EMAIL AND YOU WILL SEE!!!!!

Reactions: 3
I've just sent a draft email to someone to send individually to certain staff and asked them to add information from the below email.
5 minutes later I get a call to ask if they can copy the same email and where do they find the info. READ THE EMAIL AND YOU WILL SEE!!!!!
I read somewhere people only read the first ten words of any written communication. Same with resumes.

Hassle me all day everyday to fix something that is entirely their problem.

Come over to my desk to ask one simple thing when they could just instant message me

Move around all day talking to different people and just hovering around like a fly

Add me to emails that are no relevance to me whatsoever

Iā€™ve had a tit day can you tell?!

Reactions: 4
There is a bit of a mean girl vibe in my office at the minute. The last few years a couple of new people have started and the atmosphere has changed a lot. You know when colleagues are gossipy and there's lots of hushed conversations that are obviously not work related, then they dissappear off together. Just reminds me of high school not how 40 something females should behave.
Not enjoying work lately and dread most days tbh.

• Sad
Reactions: 14
at the moment in my office, weā€™d all be talking amongst our selfs about our private life & our manager will always change the conversation so itā€™s all about her, her kids or husband. itā€™s so draining.

Reactions: 4
at the moment in my office, weā€™d all be talking amongst our selfs about our private life & our manager will always change the conversation so itā€™s all about her, her kids or husband. itā€™s so draining.
One of my colleagues is like this. We rarely get a chance to speak much on our team. But when we do, I or someone else might ask her how her weekend went, for example, and sheā€™ll launch into a monologue for a good 10 minutes about herself and her family.
Wonā€™t ask anyone about themselves or what theyā€™ve done. Never comments if anyone is wearing something new or has a new hairstyle, yet launches into another speech about her hair/weight loss when youā€™re polite enough to comment on anything sheā€™s had done.
Itā€™s an awful atmosphere generally.
Iā€™ve been there 2 years now, and I honestly think only one of my team knows anything at all about me - and thatā€™s only that Iā€™m married with 2 kids!
Honestly the strangest place Iā€™ve ever worked in.

Reactions: 5
I'm all out of patient, friendly, helpfulness today. I want to hide from stupid people, but they seem to be everywhere and, what's worse, have decided that I'm the only person that will help them.

One of my colleagues is like this. We rarely get a chance to speak much on our team. But when we do, I or someone else might ask her how her weekend went, for example, and sheā€™ll launch into a monologue for a good 10 minutes about herself and her family.
Wonā€™t ask anyone about themselves or what theyā€™ve done. Never comments if anyone is wearing something new or has a new hairstyle, yet launches into another speech about her hair/weight loss when youā€™re polite enough to comment on anything sheā€™s had done.
Itā€™s an awful atmosphere generally.
Iā€™ve been there 2 years now, and I honestly think only one of my team knows anything at all about me - and thatā€™s only that Iā€™m married with 2 kids!
Honestly the strangest place Iā€™ve ever worked in.
monologue is the best way to put itšŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

• Haha
My manager. I donā€™t know if itā€™s a passive aggressive thing or if Iā€™m reading too much into this but..every single time she writes my first name after other peopleā€™s first names, she makes sure to always write the first letter as a small letter/minuscule instead of using a capital letter. Yet, for everyone elseā€™s first name, she uses a capital letter as you should. Example:

ā€˜Hi Mary, Olivia, theglossyā€™.

She does it all the time. She never does it with anyoneā€™s first name but mine. Itā€™s really rude! If you can add a capital letter to everyoneā€™s first name, you can give me the same courtesy.
---
I also need to add:

Clingy coworkers who want to do everything together (breakfast together, coffee together, lunch together and afternoon tea together). They are so clingy that they do all of the above together every time weā€™re in the office.

If Iā€™m on a serious Zoom call with one of them, Person A randomly shows up on screen to say ā€˜Hiā€™. If Iā€™m in the office and Iā€™m off with one of team for a scheduled catch-up/meeting
in the cafeteria, Person A again literally follows us downstairs and randomly shows up pretending to be passing by to say ā€˜Hiā€™. A coworker walked to my desk the other day to ask me a work related question and Person A again walked up to us saying ā€˜I have FOMO, saw you guys talking, what are you guys talking about?ā€™. I literally said nothing and gave her the side eye.

Literally, no two coworkers can do anything or talk without this person showing up.

Last edited:
My manager. I donā€™t know if itā€™s a passive aggressive thing or if Iā€™m reading too much into this but..every single time she writes my first name after other peopleā€™s first names, she makes sure to always write the first letter as a small letter/minuscule instead of using a capital letter. Yet, for everyone elseā€™s first name, she uses a capital letter as you should. Example:

ā€˜Hi Mary, Olivia, theglossyā€™.

She does it all the time. She never does it with anyoneā€™s first name but mine. Itā€™s really rude! If you can add a capital letter to everyoneā€™s first name, you can give me the same courtesy.
---
I also need to add:

Clingy coworkers who want to do everything together (breakfast together, coffee together, lunch together and afternoon tea together). They are so clingy that they do all of the above together every time weā€™re in the office.

If Iā€™m on a serious Zoom call with one of them, Person A randomly shows up on screen to say ā€˜Hiā€™. If Iā€™m in the office and Iā€™m off with one of team for a scheduled catch-up/meeting
in the cafeteria, Person A again literally follows us downstairs and randomly shows up pretending to be passing by to say ā€˜Hiā€™. A coworker walked to my desk the other day to ask me a work related question and Person A again walked up to us saying ā€˜I have FOMO, saw you guys talking, what are you guys talking about?ā€™. I literally said nothing and gave her the side eye.

Literally, no two coworkers can do anything or talk without this person showing up.
Please, for your mental health, please find another job with another employer. You were in a toxic situation and you found another job in the same organisation which has also turned out to be toxic. This is clearly not a good place to work. Find another job and get the hell out of there. It is not worth the angst.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Messaging at 4.30pm on a Friday afternoon in the lead up to Bank Holiday to ask for a ā€œquick chatā€ā€¦.. Pisses me off. Iā€™ve now got a piece of urgent work hanging over me that need drafting for Tuesday (which means Iā€™ll most likely have to log on on Sunday at least draft something to ensure Iā€™m happy with it). Absolute wankers.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
@Shoequeen2, I had a boss who would grab mr to talk for an hour st ten to five every day. It made me miss my Tube, and drove me mad.

whs
So so annoying! Iā€™ve logged off and poured myself a Prosecco. It can wait until Tuesday. Especially when Iā€™m now doing the mopping up because something hasnā€™t thought something through properly šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø

Reactions: 1
Yesterday one of my work colleagues told us he cheated on his girlfriend with his ex and she found out, there was only a few of us left in the office and it all got a bit heart-to-heart, we could tell he was stressed so tried finding out what was going and thatā€™s what ended up being said.

Problem is heā€™s spent the last two months moaning to us about his girlfriend being insecure constantly (theyā€™re both only 20), and itā€™s now taking every bit of my will power to not shout at him that itā€™s his bloody fault as heā€™s given her good reason to be.

Reactions: 6
Please, for your mental health, please find another job with another employer. You were in a toxic situation and you found another job in the same organisation which has also turned out to be toxic. This is clearly not a good place to work. Find another job and get the hell out of there. It is not worth the angst.
Thank you. I already started looking but finding a suitable job takes time. Iā€™m still stuck in the role in the meantime.

I was on sick leave half this week and it was the only time I felt like myself again ever since she started her shenanigans towards me.

On another note, earlier this week, someone proactively approached me randomly asking if I was ā€˜OKā€™ because they overheard the conversation where she basically told an entire report I did was crap based on one sentence at the beginning. They said that they overheard her tone during the call and according to them, nothing justifies speaking to someone that way. They said it was really bad. I wasnā€™t aware anyone had paid attention at all.

She was in the office that day with tons of people around her. It didnā€™t go unnoticed.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.