Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There are a few jumped-up arrogant men in my office who seem to always be in competition with each other (nature of the industry really, but some companies are a lot better than others). One has just been allocated a temporary resource to help him sort some administrative stuff which has been neglected.

The lady in question turned up today and is just lovely - experienced, professional and smart. After saying, "Thanks for coming" to her, he said he likes to start each day with a glass of chilled water on his desk, and he'd show her where to get it from. What a head! If we worked in hospitality then sure, but we don't, so ... get your own water! He's never, ever had anyone to get him water before so this is a new habit he's created to make himself feel important. His new resource comes across as quite astute, so I'm hoping she stands her ground.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 11
People who only respond to the part of the email that suits me and ignores everything else.

I work in Finance and another team is doing something which is completely wrong from an accounting point of view. I contacted the manager as they are messing up my numbers. I've had so many calls and emails to her but she cherry picks what points to respond to. She said the controls team ok'ed this. I contacted the controls team and they said they didnt. So we all had a call and went through everything and we agreed before she does anything that would impact my numbers they would let me know and also stick to deadlines for making any changes. She also said she would fix everything but two months later its still a mess and then this week they are back to their old tricks by not sticking to deadlines and using the wrong numbers.

My manager and even his manager are involved in the last few weeks and I learned this week that it is also impacting another team. If I had made these mistakes I would be expected to correct them immeadiately and for it never to happen again. This has been escalated up really high and still nothing done. She is getting away with murder.

Reactions: 4
I was stewing over the annoying guy (who wants his temporary administrator to get his water) last night. He's just so 'extra' with everything he does.

He has plenty of time to go running at lunchtime and to do his sporting picks nearly every afternoon, yet can't get basic priorities right. A few of his team had to drop what they were doing yesterday to finish something off for him while he took off early for the long weekend - the fact that some of them may have also liked to leave a bit earlier wouldn't even have occurred to him.

Earlier in the day, one of his team members told him she was going home sick; his response was to insist that she go around each of the team members first to check that there wasn't anything they needed help with. It's just mind boggling - if you're sick, you're sick ... go home and take care of yourself. These 'adults' will just have to sort it out for themselves! This lady was clearly unwell, but given the way he's wired he probably thought she was skiving off.

I'm not part of his team thank goodness but I sit near him (and see him every morning and late afternoon even when I'm working at a client site, as I have to call into the office). When he's not there, his team is far happier. He's late 20s yet acts like a grumpy old man who tries to be everyone's mate at the same time as sticking the knife into their backs.

His wife has called into the office a few times to get money (he actually gives her money - she doesn't seem to have cards) and he talks down to her constantly and gives her lists of things to do ... he's just so, so strange.

Next week is my last one at this place. They've asked me a couple of times to stay on in different capacities and have even said I can name my rate which is very flattering but nooooooo thanks - I worry I'm becoming a product of this very toxic environment.

Reactions: 3
The new starters sending documents for checking without self checking first... please just read it, don’t ignore the red underlines and run a poxy spell check. Ahhhh

Reactions: 2
Nobody ever seems to accept planning for problems actually prevents an issue becoming an absolute clusterfuck a problem.

The principle of redundancy isn't get to rid of everything and everybody else so that it all hangs upon nothing ever going wrong with that one system or person - it's that you never, ever, allow a system to have a single point of failure in the first place.

What is it that makes this such a difficult concept to accept?

Reactions: 1
I brought up a couple of points to my manager this morning. It was related to a project, so nothing outside of boundaries. Her response was ‘this is above your pay grade. You don’t need to think about this’.

I’d never heard this sentence ‘this above your/my pay grade’ until I joined this company. I hear it all the time.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 9
I suggested a way of completing a particular daily task that would be quicker and more efficient.
Line manager agreed and said it was the way we’d do things going forward.
Next day they said they wouldn’t be doing it this way, as they didn’t have time to mess about.
Unless everyone does it the same way, the new process won’t work, so I e given up and we’re back to the slow, ancient way of doing it.
Didn’t need the place today, in all honesty!

Last edited:
I brought up a couple of points to my manager this morning. It was related to a project, so nothing outside of boundaries. Her response was ‘this is above your pay grade. You don’t need to think about this’.

I’d never heard this sentence ‘this above your/my pay grade’ until I joined this company. I hear it all the time.
Gosh that is so rude isn’t it

I heard someone say something along the lines of:
“…. Not that I have to explain myself to you”
To a person that they line manage
😂😂😂😂 WTF

• Haha
  • Wow
Gosh that is so rude isn’t it

I heard someone say something along the lines of:
“…. Not that I have to explain myself to you”
To a person that they line manage
😂😂😂😂 WTF
It’s rude and condescending. Not to mention that it was followed by a ‘you know, the team isn’t just your immediate team, but also the people above me and the other teams in our other locations’.

LOL. I’m experienced enough to understand that the team isn’t just my immediate team under this manager, but the entire function including teams in other locations.

I can’t wait to get away from this manager. I’m seriously questioning if they’ve truly managed people before because all she does is talk a whole lot of BS pretending to be an armchair woke work psychologist.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
It’s rude and condescending. Not to mention that it was followed by a ‘you know, the team isn’t just your immediate team, but also the people above me and the other teams in our other locations’.

LOL. I’m experienced enough to understand that the team isn’t just my immediate team under this manager, but the entire function including teams in other locations.

I can’t wait to get away from this manager. I’m seriously questioning if they’ve truly managed people before because all she does is talk a whole lot of BS pretending to be an armchair work psychologist.
Is this the same psycho woman manager from earlier in the thread?

Is this the same psycho woman manager from earlier in the thread?
Yep. Same one. At this point, why am I even surprised when she comes up with this type of stuff. I can’t have a conversation with her without her saying something condescending or rude or out of line.

Reactions: 1
I was looking forward to finishing up at this contract today but one of the staff members was involved in a car accident on the weekend and they've asked me to stay on until in her role she feels able to return to work. That's okay; I'm happy to help out as there is a genuine need.

Unfortunately that means I'm now sitting next to the office slob who seems to have a shoe floordrobe going on under his desk and more energy drink cans than I care to count. He goes out for lunch at midday on the dot and returns with either McDonald's, KFC or Burger King, which he proceeds to eat at his desk. I had drinks after work with friends and felt conscious about smelling like fried food!

Someone sent me a file today which I couldn't open; he kindly offered to come over and see what was happening and in taking control of my mouse left it all greasy :sick: ... he couldn't get the file to open either and when he was explaining what he thought the issue might be, he started coughing and some of 'it' went on my monitor and keyboard. God I sound like such a witch but is it too much for people to have a bit of pride in their appearance and behaviour?

Last edited:
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
I was looking forward to finishing up at this contract today but one of the staff members was involved in a car accident on the weekend and they've asked me to stay on until in her role she feels able to return to work. That's okay; I'm happy to help out as there is a genuine need.

Unfortunately that means I'm now sitting next to the office slob who seems to have a shoe floordrobe going on under his desk and more energy drink cans than I care to count. He goes out for lunch at midday on the dot and returns with either McDonald's, KFC or Burger King, which he proceeds to eat at his desk. I had drinks after work with friends and felt conscious about smelling like fried food!

Someone sent me a file today which I couldn't open; he kindly offered to come over and see what was happening and in taking control of my mouse left it all greasy :sick: ... he couldn't get the file to open either and when he was explaining what he thought the issue might be, he started coughing and some of 'it' went on my monitor and keyboard. God I sound like such a witch but is it too much for people to have a bit of pride in their appearance and behaviour?
Eww. Bet his chair is really 'bummy' too. :sick:

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I actually witnessed my useless colleague roll into a survival ball today. She was talking to someone and suddenly folded to the floor in a ball then whispered weakly that she needed to go home sick. She’s utterly toxic and a total sick note. She was off for nine months last year through various issues so presumably this is her gearing up for her next few months off. She always disappears during shifts as well - almost certainly to go and see her horses which are stabled nearby. They keep trying to sack her but because they’re so incompetent, they get it wrong, she lawyers up and gets to keep her job.

• Wow
We had someone who would go off sick in about April/May and then return about October time for 2-3 years running. Nice if you can be paid to sunbathe in your garden while the rest pick up your work! Only stopped when we had a new boss who has a HR background and oddly the summers off ended! Funny that

• Wow
Reactions: 6
in the pre woke no litigation days,we had one who went off with a migraine last Thursday in the month. Started rubbing his eyes, then his head, sighing…then went off. We all knew his wife got paid that day and they were going shopping.
It was also the day the monthly stats were due and we had to pick up his work. We complained to the boss who said he would fix it.
Next month he came round just as the drama was unfolding and sympathised with the skiver.
Poor chap, you get lots of headaches, such a shame, I notice it happens a lot, every month in fact. You might need these. A dropped a packet of tampax on his desk and walked off.
He never had another headache

• Haha
I was told by 1 of my many incompetent colleagues today (that due to the old last in, first out role), that I’m so lucky to be being made redundant this month before I can ‘start getting used to the perks of the job’ 🤔

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.