Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I honestly cannot believe this happened today:

1. My manager’s manager is visiting and asked me if I have children. I said “no” then my own manager (make) jumped in and said “someday you will”. Then I cut him off and said “that’s not the topic of this conversation”.

How dare he speak for me and assume all women want children? Or what if I was infertile or experiencing issues conceiving? I’m shocked.

2. I overheard him say to his manager about the counteroffer I mentioned earlier “just give people what they want to keep them happy” as if I hadn’t earned the promotion I should have gotten after 3 years of hard work. He’s in for a rude awakening when I tell them tomorrow I still don’t want their counter offer.

3. My manager organized a dinner at the last minute today for tomorrow and when I said it was short notice, he tried to play smart by saying “I talked about this dinner on numerous occasions”. I was about to combust, he never mentioned anything about no dinner to me and if it was planned in advance, how come he just booked the table today for tomorrow?

What a bunch of losers.
I can’t wait until you start your new job 🥰 please keep us updated!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I work in an office within a warehouse - therefore, no mobile phones are permitted. So on a Friday afternoons I have a little play on Solitaire on the computer. But for some reasons my colleagues all crowd round my computer like they’ve never seen solitaire before it’s “that 10 can go there” “put that 7 on that 8” “the ace card can go on the top” it’s so infuriating. I’ve played this game on the computer on and off since 1995 I don’t need your input thanks, I’m just doing something to count down the hours at the end of the week. It’s not the solitaire World Cup final

• Haha
Reactions: 27
Coworkers or management who talk about football when you’re not a fan, or you don’t follow their team, and you don’t play FIFA, actual 5-a-side, or fantasy football 😆 and it’s going to be a pain in backside when the 2022 World Cup starts end of this month 😩

Reactions: 3
My staff team request their leave electronically. Once submitted, I receive an email asking me to authorise or decline. For one staff member, this isn’t quite good enough, she has to text to tell me she’s requested leave and then email me to tell me she’s requested leave. Sometimes she will even follow it up with a voicemail. How annoying.
Also, on days when I work at the office, one of my colleagues just wants to talk and talk and talk to me and I just want to work. I did lose the plot and tell her I couldn’t talk to her anymore at one point.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Cxx
My staff team request their leave electronically. Once submitted, I receive an email asking me to authorise or decline. For one staff member, this isn’t quite good enough, she has to text to tell me she’s requested leave and then email me to tell me she’s requested leave. Sometimes she will even follow it up with a voicemail. How annoying.
Also, on days when I work at the office, one of my colleagues just wants to talk and talk and talk to me and I just want to work. I did lose the plot and tell her I couldn’t talk to her anymore at one point.
😂 this reminds me of a direct report I had who drove me up the wall, she would send me WhatsApp as if it were MSN, her messages would go:
“Hi WHFR”
“Are you there?”
And then if I answered it was another 20 messages…

She was SO intense!

just send me one message, that’s all I need!

Reactions: 5
Coworkers or management who talk about football when you’re not a fan, or you don’t follow their team, and you don’t play FIFA, actual 5-a-side, or fantasy football 😆 and it’s going to be a pain in backside when the 2022 World Cup starts end of this month 😩
I once worked with some golf bores.

OMG, yes, they were all really into it, and were good players apparently but 🥱💤😴 they used to take over every chance they got.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Update on my situation:

I was about to tell my management “no” to their counteroffer, when HR emailed me saying they want to speak to me this week for an “update” on the role I accepted. I still haven’t received the contract and it’s been 2 weeks since the offer. I’m honestly worried because this request for a call is odd. Why do we need a call at this particular point?

• Wow
Reactions: 6
My manager is a complete car crash.

We had a team outing yesterday and I left before everyone else. I walked into the office, greet my manager and other people in the team. I asked him “did you guys stay late last night” and he was like “I didn’t sleep well last night”. I said “Oh, I’m sorry to hear that”. Then his response was “you don’t sound very sincere” and returned to working on his emails.

The guy is completely insane. He didn’t get enough sleep, so what? My reaction wasn’t “sincere”? What was I supposed to do? She’d a tear?

What a tool.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Update on my situation:

I was about to tell my management “no” to their counteroffer, when HR emailed me saying they want to speak to me this week for an “update” on the role I accepted. I still haven’t received the contract and it’s been 2 weeks since the offer. I’m honestly worried because this request for a call is odd. Why do we need a call at this particular point?
Have you managed to speak to them yet?

Reactions: 3
I once worked with some golf bores.

OMG, yes, they were all really into it, and were good players apparently but 🥱💤😴 they used to take over every chance they got.

Same here.

Staff Christmas party raffle prizes every year were golf-related and nothing else.

Wouldn't mind but the Boss man was into golf but never made a big deal out of it.

It was the whole raft of middle managers taking up golf and swearing they loved it in order to fit in who imposed it on everyone else.

Organised "Golf Weekends" which were really piss ups away from the wife and kids and usually involved as little golf as possible by going to football matches, rugby matches, F1 races etc instead. Wankers every last one of them.

Reactions: 2
Have you managed to speak to them yet?
Yes, I spoke to HR. They just wanted to inform me of where they were at with the contract issuance etc. I should be ready to go when I get the contract.

Plot twist though: I had a 1-1 with my manager’s manager. I was told “please don’t say this to anyone, but my predecessor and I are still wondering to this day why you never applied to the team lead role. We both were rooting for you and if you had applied, you would have 100% gotten the role because that’s you we wanted. It’s a huge shame and waste you never got the TL role”.

The whole recruitment for this team lead role was done by his predecessor and this new guy came in towards the end. However, I have a hard time believing this because they told me I wasn’t going to get promoted this year and had me in the pipeline for this next year but yet they were rooting for me to get the TL role?! Promotion without TL role and TL role are at the same level, so what’s the difference? I was ready enough to be a TL but not ready enough to get a promotion without TL? This is odd.

Then my manager suddenly came up to me today and said: “I know I wasn’t the preferred choice for the TL role - I know they preferred the other guy”. I started laughing.

This thing is like a reality show at this point.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Update:

I signed the contract / written offer for the new role. My manager’s manager turned down the meeting invite I sent to discuss / turn down the counter offer. Time zone restrictions, supposedly.

I therefore went ahead and told my direct manager I’m moving forward with the new role. The discussion lasted 2 minutes because he was “busy”.

Not how I wanted to do it but it’s done now!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Update:

I signed the contract / written offer for the new role. My manager’s manager turned down the meeting invite I sent to discuss / turn down the counter offer. Time zone restrictions, supposedly.

I therefore went ahead and told my direct manager I’m moving forward with the new role. The discussion lasted 2 minutes because he was “busy”.

They are utter arseholes!
Congratulations! 🎊 I hope the new role makes you happier and you're appreciated by the new manager! ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Update:

Wooop! So happy for you - what a sack of dicks they've proven themselves to be, as if we didn't know that already! Wishing you all the best x

• Heart
Thank you everyone ❤ I really appreciate the kind words and support.

They knew I was going to turn them down and just didn’t want to hear it. They’re just vile and immature.

Afterwards, they asked me to train the newbie who was hired at the level I was supposed to be promoted to. They told him in front of me “we hope you’ll be as good as her one day”. Idiots. Yeah, because I was so good you gave the promotional role to someone else. They must be having a laugh.

I’m taking days off as my workload lessened. No training from me anytime soon. What a bunch of pricks.

Reactions: 15
Just caught up on all this and I know it seems weird as I don’t know you but I am over the moon for you TheGlossy! I bet in your new role you’ll go from strength to strength when you’re away from those misogynistic pricks. Even more so than you do already despite them.

PS don’t train the new hire - I would say it’s beyond your remit to do so and that surely someone higher than their level should do it…

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Just caught up on all this and I know it seems weird as I don’t know you but I am over the moon for you TheGlossy! I bet in your new role you’ll go from strength to strength when you’re away from those misogynistic pricks. Even more so than you do already despite them.

PS don’t train the new hire - I would say it’s beyond your remit to do so and that surely someone higher than their level should do it…
Absolutely agree on this.

Nod and smile and (wave 😉) keep focused on the fact that you are moving on and your career is what Is important.
Let them figure out the training for themselves without overtly saying very much at all.

CB4555BC-FEE3-46CC-A782-F6DF66C994FB.jpeg

• Heart
Thank you everyone ❤ I really appreciate the kind words and support.

They knew I was going to turn them down and just didn’t want to hear it. They’re just vile and immature.

Afterwards, they asked me to train the newbie who was hired at the level I was supposed to be promoted to. They told him in front of me “we hope you’ll be as good as her one day”. Idiots. Yeah, because I was so good you gave the promotional role to someone else. They must be having a laugh.

I’m taking days off as my workload lessened. No training from me anytime soon. What a bunch of pricks.
Congratulations. I remember saying to you a while back that you should wait until your last day and the new job is 100% in the bag then walk out, telling one or two choice characters to duck off. I did it in my first job after being bullied by a horror of a woman. I bloody LOVED it.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.