Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My manager is such a car crash of a vile person:

1. I got an award today for an ad hoc project that I worked hard on for 2 months on top of my day to day. Then he said to me: “What did you do exactly to get this award?”. I explained then he said “Ok, you deserve it I guess”. He’s known about this project since I started since a stakeholder wanted me specifically yet he keeps dissing it all the time. He also said he should have been the one to get the award I got a few months ago for another project.

2. He reached out to me saying his manager asked me to conduct interviews for new hires because they need a woman for “diversity purposes” yet women in this ten are only at junior level and anyone with a corporate title is a male. Leadership is all males yet the want me to play cover girl when they took my promotion away from me (which would have given me a corporate title) and gave it to an external hire (male) instead. How about you implement diversity in your leadership? Me playing cover girl doesn’t sit well with me.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
My manager again:

I received a couple of awards in the last few months and he decided to hand over a portofolio of his to me after he got promoted to manager. Mind you, I’m one level below his pre manager level and he decided to hire someone external to replace him (yet I’m the one absorbing his ridiculous work without the promotion I was promised I would get).

Today he completely diminished the awards I got including the one I got yesterday. He said “do this piece of work on my portfolio well and people will finally notice you”.

I wanted to see “people have noticed me plenty- did you lot see my awards”. But I just ignored his comment.

What a piece of work he is.

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Emailing me to ask when I will be out of a spreadsheet or, worse, mass emails asking who is using it. (If it's ever me using it, I deliberately don't reply.) Just wait your turn

• Haha
Reactions: 6
We’re overworked and understaffed - same culprits off sick again.
The work could get done, regardless. But the person in charge of managing it just makes it so much more complicated than it needs to be. Everything has to be methodically planned out, when this is one of those occasions when you just have to roll up your sleeves and get stuck in, not waste hours planning out how to approach it.
I felt like screaming today; it’s so frustrating!

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I manage a team of 4. One person recently joined us to replace someone else. The woman is max 2 years older than me and today she referred to me as "love". One of my team members is an intern and she does it to her too. I am currently working my notice and have around 8 weeks left so I wont be saying anything but it is so annoying and unprofessional.
This takes me back to when we had an intern on a college placement many moons ago. She kept calling our manager Babez 😂 I wouldn't mind but he was the most dour man you'd ever meet. I still crack up over 10 years later at his facial expression 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 19
oh my god can some people learn what a deadline is??? I am going to whip out some disciplinaries at this rate

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Moan that they hate the job....but ar'nt actively looking for another.
Moan about pay but were well aware what the pay was when recruited.
Say that they dont get supported so when I.ask what support they want or need they shrug and say "just support from managers" So what support?
Just excuses to moan its draining

This takes me back to when we had an intern on a college placement many moons ago. She kept calling our manager Babez 😂 I wouldn't mind but he was the most dour man you'd ever meet. I still crack up over 10 years later at his facial expression 😂
I actually love that..makes me lol. i used to call the most dull and boring manager honeybunch haha it was so unprofessional but he was so not a honeybunch

Reactions: 10
Chair thieves.
It winds me up...I work part time but every bloody time I'm in work, Ive got to go hunting for my chair.

And I am calling it my chair, because of the headache I had trying to get it authorised and ordered.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
Chair thieves.
It winds me up...I work part time but every bloody time I'm in work, Ive got to go hunting for my chair.

And I am calling it my chair, because of the headache I had trying to get it authorised and ordered.
Put a sign on it when you are not in, that says do not move, do not use, this chair is set up specifically for my DSE needs. One of my colleagues got an ergonomic chair when she was pregnant, and the occupational health rep came and adjusted it and she had a sign stuck to the back saying "please do not adjust, this is set to specific settings for my back". The rest of my team respected that.

• Heart
Chair thieves.

Totally agree, all part of your DSE assessment.
I really hate hotdesks because time getting in morning is wasted adjusting chair, monitors messed around wires, and have to store my mouse and keyboard away so doesn’t get robbed. Our office manager said we could buy surplus ergonomic chairs after we moved office but they are nowhere to be seen as held in storage 😒

Put a sign on it when you are not in, that says do not move, do not use, this chair is set up specifically for my DSE needs. One of my colleagues got an ergonomic chair when she was pregnant, and the occupational health rep came and adjusted it and she had a sign stuck to the back saying "please do not adjust, this is set to specific settings for my back". The rest of my team respected that.
We're not allowed signs on the back of chairs 🙄😣
It's a normal chair but our office insisted on keeping some old ones without lumbar back support. I refused to use the older ones because I suffer chronic back pain, so I managed to authorise a new chair. Took months of chasing.

People who have an issue with their own chair should go about the same channels I did to authorise a new one...not go round swapping their crappy chair for someone's better one.

In fact, offices should just provide decent chairs to everyone and then it won't be an issue.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I had issues with broken and soiled chairs at my former workplace, so I took my own chair in - and put a label on saying it was personally owned by me. I got some very odd looks but didn't care!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
We need a sign on our chair backs saying “don’t fcuk with this chair!” 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 3
My old boss asked who wanted his fat bastard big old leather office chair when he left. He acted like it was the rolls royce of chairs. No one wanted it as it was bound to be really bummy. You know what I mean....

• Haha
My management is unbelievable.

I was told by my previous manager I’d be promoted this year. Then new management came along in June and when I mentioned the topic, they said they’d never heard of anything of the sort. I’ve been in the team 2.5 years and bended over backwards doing managerial tasks and getting dragged into every project that came along, only to have the promotion taken away from me and given to an external hire.

I got an offer for an internal role which will promote me into the same level as the one would have been promoted to in this team has they not taken it away from me illegitimately. I accepted the offer.

Yesterday, I announced my offer and intention to transfer to my manager and his manager. Then his manager told me to give him the green light to pull strings to get me promoted this year through an exceptional approval process but I needed to hear in mind I’d be promoted a year early lol (as if I’m not ready lol).

As they did not want to take no for an answer after 40 minutes, I said I’d need to think about it before they made any move of the sort.

Fast forward, today my direct manager tells me he and his manager already sent a request to get an exceptional promotion approved. I never agreed to anything and they went behind my back today.

During yesterday’s meeting, they said if I agree to let them get the approval, I need to give them my word I’ll accept the offer. I said no, I’m not giving you any green light right now. I’d need to think about it and they still went behind my back.

It’s on them now. My decision is made (it was clear they were never going to promote me and they on top of this removed the legitimacy of my promotion by saying I’d be promoted early due to this counter offer when I’ve been working my behind off for years).

I only told them I’d think about it because 40 minutes of back and forth on the call and they weren’t taking no for an answer.

Not to mention, my direct manager said to my face during that same meeting they’d now need to promote another employee in the team because they’re the only one left and they need to keep them around (even though their performance and attitude are subpar).

How vile and disgusting.

• Wow
My colleague is obsessed with the gym and trying to lose weight so she always talks about what she’s eaten and what a ‘pig’ she is because she’s had a carvery or something. I’m bigger than she is so I sometimes wonder if it’s a bit of a dig but I find it triggering. Wish she would just stop cos it makes me feel uncomfortable.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 14
My colleague is obsessed with the gym and trying to lose weight so she always talks about what she’s eaten and what a ‘pig’ she is because she’s had a carvery or something. I’m bigger than she is so I sometimes wonder if it’s a bit of a dig but I find it triggering. Wish she would just stop cos it makes me feel uncomfortable.
I have a colleague who is similar and I just said “wow I’d hate to hear what you think about me” and she was like “???” and I said pretty much what you’ve said, I’m bigger than you and all you do is talk about how gross my body type is which I don’t appreciate hearing in the workplace

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Leave a mess for everyone else to have to clean up later. It's the same member of staff every time and it's starting to grate on me because I had to clean everything myself again last night whilst serving customers as I was the only staff member on the tills. It was super busy last night too idk how I got anything done. Just wish people would consider whoever is gonna have to clean it all up later.

• Sad
Reactions: 2
When I'm on tattle and colleagues disturb me with really important work related issues.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 30
My management is unbelievable.

I was told by my previous manager I’d be promoted this year. Then new management came along in June and when I mentioned the topic, they said they’d never heard of anything of the sort. I’ve been in the team 2.5 years and bended over backwards doing managerial tasks and getting dragged into every project that came along, only to have the promotion taken away from me and given to an external hire.

I got an offer for an internal role which will promote me into the same level as the one would have been promoted to in this team has they not taken it away from me illegitimately. I accepted the offer.

Yesterday, I announced my offer and intention to transfer to my manager and his manager. Then his manager told me to give him the green light to pull strings to get me promoted this year through an exceptional approval process but I needed to hear in mind I’d be promoted a year early lol (as if I’m not ready lol).

As they did not want to take no for an answer after 40 minutes, I said I’d need to think about it before they made any move of the sort.

Fast forward, today my direct manager tells me he and his manager already sent a request to get an exceptional promotion approved. I never agreed to anything and they went behind my back today.

During yesterday’s meeting, they said if I agree to let them get the approval, I need to give them my word I’ll accept the offer. I said no, I’m not giving you any green light right now. I’d need to think about it and they still went behind my back.

It’s on them now. My decision is made (it was clear they were never going to promote me and they on top of this removed the legitimacy of my promotion by saying I’d be promoted early due to this counter offer when I’ve been working my behind off for years).

I only told them I’d think about it because 40 minutes of back and forth on the call and they weren’t taking no for an answer.

Not to mention, my direct manager said to my face during that same meeting they’d now need to promote another employee in the team because they’re the only one left and they need to keep them around (even though their performance and attitude are subpar).

How vile and disgusting.
So you are leaving that team, I hope?

It sounds horrible and now they don't want to lose you because they know darn well how good you are.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.