Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Everyone talks over each other constantly in Teams meetings, it's horrendous. I am so sick of having to fight to be heard in meetings.
You never get to speak unless you butt in whilst someone else is speaking.
It's rude AF.
Occasionally I am on calls with other business areas and it's a joy that everyone raises their virtual hand before speaking, or if they want to add something after the curret speaker has finished.

You put your hand up in our calls and it gets ignored every time.

Also men mainsplaining constantly in meetings, or going into unnecessary detail. I don't need the minutiae, just be brief!
Your meetings need an agenda and a chair, no??
No one can possibly be satisfied with things as they stand, maybe raise the issue if you feel able? You might be everyone's hero!

Reactions: 2
When you come in in the morning and get met with a barrage of negativity and complaints. Most of which aren’t legitimate complaints but part and parcel of the job. It would be nice if people said hello, Spoke, how are you, before they get wrapped up in a rant.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Your meetings need an agenda and a chair, no??
No one can possibly be satisfied with things as they stand, maybe raise the issue if you feel able? You might be everyone's hero!
The meetings are weekly or sometimes bi weekly and there's never an agenda as such. It is chaos most of the time. About 5 years ago our senior managers PA introduced agendas, action points etc. Lasted about 3 months, and even then everyone interrupted each other and talked over each other.
I've never worked anywhere that people have so little meeting etiquette. Worst part is most of them speak for the sake of it and to demonstrate 'active listening', they have nothing to say of relevance!

I think I'm institutionalized about it now, it's become the depressing norm. I do chair my own meetings twice a month, slightly different audience but those at least are always well run ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Men being excused from important project admin because it’s ‘not their skill set’, but it coincidentally is automatically assumed to be for woman who then end up picking it up.
No, it’s obvious what’s going on there and it annoys me so much that it’s enabled.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Get too involved in personal business. Don’t care for their opinion on what I do in my free time. Also I don’t care details about everyone’s weekend. sorry not sorry 😤

• Heart
Reactions: 11
A coworker who keeps talking/mentioning it's their birthday. It is non-stop for weeks before the actual day. No one really cares apart them. It gets really boring after a while. It's like some people feel the need to broadcast everything to everyone and make themselves known.
I know I am not the only one in my office who finds it quite annoying.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Not really all the time but the only place I can vent. Our team got sent home at the start of covid and the company agreed policies for people to work how they wanted as long as their role was performed satisfactorily. That has worked fine for everyone in the team prior to covid. We took on a new member during covid, they had a few ups and downs and eventually left. In their exit interview they blamed everything on said policies that work for everyone else so we are now being made to report back into the office regularly to address this issue. The issue that was only raised by one person as they were on their way out the door.

I appreciate they may have just been truthful but only addressing it as they left feels a bit like we have been stitched up with the resulting change to everyone's work routine.

• Sad
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
I used to really look forward to coming into work but this one bad egg has ruined it. She's not even full-time, and often works from home (but openly criticises anyone else for doing the same), yet she creates so much friction. I don't know why our MD hired her! He never used to close his office door and operated on pretty much a flat management structure; since this woman's come onboard he's taken to closing his door on a regular basis, not stopping to do have a chat with us in the morning, and seems buried in worry all the time. The whole energy of the office has changed - it's just awful!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I'd had a good run of being offered a cuppa of an afternoon then just had 2 days of being ignored. Actually calling over my head to find out what people want, making sure those who are busy get one made.....several left to go cold even but not a word said to me. They didn't even bother clearing up their cups when they'd finished, just walked off and left them. Bunch of petty witches. I'm useful when I answer the phone 100 times a day or I find casenotes that have gone walkabout but heaven forbid I'm actually considered part of the team and worthy of a coffee break of an afternoon. And yes, I could go get myself one but it's more the being left out part that bothers me than the actual lack of a drink.

I'd also like one particular member of staff to shut up about masks. Yes, visitors should be wearing them, yes it's annoying that we have to wear them all day and they won't wear them for an hour but none of us are going to get in an argument about it especially when half the staff don't bother wearing them properly, or at all! She rants about it for hours daily. My heart sinks when I seen she's on.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Heart
When I was growing up, office workers in films and TV shows had these little cubicles they worked in or seperate offices to just get on with their work, and honestly it looks like it was bliss!! I don't know who came up with the idea that modern offices be communal, open plan, noisy - it just looks like chaos to me. Must be great if you're a chatter and need constant company around you, but if you just need to get your head down and work it must be a nightmare. I work in nursing so I sometimes fantasise about having a peaceful job somewhere in an office 😂 but even that doesn't seem to exist anymore.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Ok .. hear me out . I took time off after my mum died and I can finally talk about her death without crying. Some colleagues won't just stop at Hi ,how are you . They keep going on and on to the point where I burst into tears and it seems they enjoy that element of making me sad so they can feel special by comforting me .

They aren't even close colleagues . A friend observed this recently & after the other person had left said they were on the verge of telling them to duck off because it was blatant goading.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice for people to ask how you are but that's where it should stop .

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I spent at least half an hour explaining something to a colleague on Monday, including sitting with him. He said he understood it all and would do the work straight away.

Now he's emailed me saying he's been too busy to do it, so can someone else do it instead? Give me strength! So that's another item for muggins here to do.

When I was growing up, office workers in films and TV shows had these little cubicles they worked in or seperate offices to just get on with their work, and honestly it looks like it was bliss!! I don't know who came up with the idea that modern offices be communal, open plan, noisy - it just looks like chaos to me. Must be great if you're a chatter and need constant company around you, but if you just need to get your head down and work it must be a nightmare. I work in nursing so I sometimes fantasise about having a peaceful job somewhere in an office 😂 but even that doesn't seem to exist anymore.
Yeah I've seen those cubicles. I think they're more common in the US maybe? That said, in the days of hybrid working they seem a bit pointless as you might as well stay working from home rather than sitting by yourself in a cubicle. :D

• Angry
Reactions: 6
I work in a ward where majority of the time, it's quite heavy with constant admissions and staff shortages.

There's this one colleague who will come in whilst I'm assisting with the likes of a bed bath/medication round/helping a patient to the toilet and will tell me that the consultant is starting their ward round with the patients I'm looking after and always looks at me as if I should stop everything I'm doing and go start the ward round but never offers to help take over. So I always reply with I will get to the ward round when I can. It absolutely winds me up because a) she never offers to help, always avoids anything involving personal care and b) she gets snippy when I essentially tell her tough titties I'm busy with a patient because God forbid I don't stop everything and join the ward round.

Luckily most of the consultants on my ward are really understanding as they know how short staffed we are and will give a brief update when I do finally get to join it.

Reactions: 5
I spent at least half an hour explaining something to a colleague on Monday, including sitting with him. He said he understood it all and would do the work straight away.

Now he's emailed me saying he's been too busy to do it, so can someone else do it instead? Give me strength! So that's another item for muggins here to do.
I'd say sure, but he needs to find that person and agree it with them, not you.

Reactions: 4
I'd say sure, but he needs to find that person and agree it with them, not you.
Yeah I know that's the proper way to do it, but without going into too much detail, it's a specific task that needs a bit of training - hence why I sat with him to show him the ropes and got him the relevant access. And it needs doing ASAP.

If someone else were to do it, I'd need to train them as well plus get them access when it'll just be quicker to do it myself and it'll then be done before the deadline. As is often the case!

But I'm going to tell his manager it's not on so he doesn't try and pull it again in future. So many people have bad planning skills.

• Sad
Reactions: 8
This guy who is constantly making mouth noises, and imitating the sound of every motor vehicle passing by or every phone that rings with an annoyingly high voice. The other guy who is constantly humming and mumbling to himself. I often find myself moments away from an actual rage fit. I don't get why people find itnso difficult to work in silence.

• Haha
Ok .. hear me out . I took time off after my mum died and I can finally talk about her death without crying. Some colleagues won't just stop at Hi ,how are you . They keep going on and on to the point where I burst into tears and it seems they enjoy that element of making me sad so they can feel special by comforting me .

They aren't even close colleagues . A friend observed this recently & after the other person had left said they were on the verge of telling them to duck off because it was blatant goading.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice for people to ask how you are but that's where it should stop .
I’m sorry for your loss.

I understand. I’m in the opposite situation where my dad died and not a single person asked if I’m OK, not even my managers. It’s just as painful.

I know it is painful to have people asking you all the time because it’s a reminder, but they don’t mean to get you in tears. Perhaps you should take more time off. A loss is difficult to process and perhaps you’re not ready to be at work. Otherwise, just change the topic of conversation before it gets too intrusive.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
people who lie to try and cover up a mistake. just admit to it and fix it or ask for help to fix it - we all make them so i don't understand why they try to cover it over.

Reactions: 14
One of my coworkers is driving me up the wall. This person was on and off on sick leave for the last 7 months when he’s only been in the role for a year. Today, it was announced he found a job internally and will be moving soon. Last week, he claimed he still had tons of health issues and needed second opinions etc. I asked him again today if he’s doing any better and he said his health issues are “now a thing of the past” when he said last week they were long-standing. It is highly coincidencial his issues disappeared on the same day he got a new job …who is he fooling.

I’m surprised no manager asked him why he was too sick to work yet wasn’t sick enough to login to apply for jobs and go to interviews .

He keeps asking me why I’m still in the role and each time, I tell him it’s circumstantial (lost my parent a few months ago, I needed some time to process the loss first). Each time they get the same answer. I don’t need this type of BS right now.

Then today they bothered me all day long about why so and so hasn’t left the team yet or talking about the same thing on repeat hours apart (referring to how the manager announced their departure). I even had to say “you’ve already told me this three times today already”!

Some people think because they’re leaving, everyone needs to do the same. They keep bothering you all day when you have work to do. You’re leaving, cool but I’m still here and got work to do. Be gone already!

SMH.
To follow up on this - they pinged me today “Hey, how are you” then went on and on about how it’s not right the managers already posted the ad for his replacement when he’s not gone yet.

I’m honestly getting a headache from this person and their drama over their departure. People come and go all the time. They need to get a grip because all the drama I see is coming from them and not the other people in the team. I don’t even engage anymore and just say “sorry, I’m busy”.

Reactions: 1
My colleagues talk over me all the time and it's sooooo annoying. Can't get a word in edgeways unless I interrupt/talk over one of them and I hate doing that because it feels so rude. Especially in meetings, they'll start talking about something that I actually know more about, but won't pause for breath for me to step in and elaborate or correct. Then afterwards it's "why didn't you speak about x in that meeting?" Errrr kindly tell me when I had the opportunity?!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.