Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve got a colleague who, every week when a particular job is due, has something wrong with them that means them having to disappear several times whilst I carry on and finish the task.
Without fail, they’ll need to make several coffees because they’re so very tired today; pop outside for a breather because they feel faint/have an awful headache, etc.,etc. Every single week when this one job is due.
Yesterday I struggled through it completely alone as they felt more unwell than usual. On top of that I was being chased for the rest of my work that day and was then questioned as to why the joint task took so long - as though only I was responsible 😡
I feel like I’m being taken for a mug and I’m really tired of it.
You need to start doing it first, next time just pretend you don't feel well

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
When you are cc'd into an email and another person forwards it to you. Thanks but I can see the email already.
Or you cc someone else into the email and the person that sent the initial email sends the email again to that person. :mad:

Reactions: 6
How does everyone feel about contributing to colleagues birthday gifts? I’m not close to anyone in my team really (cliquey/ bitchy) and we only do big birthdays, of which there’s 1 40th and 3 30ths coming up. I said I could afford to (which I can’t, currently working 2 jobs to afford alot of outgoings) and I’ve basically been told I’m a terrible person 🤣🤣🤣

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
I don’t do collections within my team, and if somebody has a baby or leaves, I buy the present myself but mark it from all of us. I really think collections shouldn’t be a thing in most workplaces, especially right now when so many people are struggling.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
How does everyone feel about contributing to colleagues birthday gifts? I’m not close to anyone in my team really (cliquey/ bitchy) and we only do big birthdays, of which there’s 1 40th and 3 30ths coming up. I said I could afford to (which I can’t, currently working 2 jobs to afford alot of outgoings) and I’ve basically been told I’m a terrible person 🤣🤣🤣
Complete lack of empathy on your colleagues’ side. I don’t think office collections should be a thing. I do contribute but quite often it’s for people I barely know, who aren’t even well mannered enough to send a general thank you message to everyone.
You can see in some cases that some people are really struggling to find the money but don’t want the stigma of refusing to put in.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
It annoys me but I do it. It’s a small team and only £2 for a birthday. Works out about £20 a year so it’s not outrageous and I am lucky really. I think what annoys me is the obligation. I am the newest member and it was brought up in an email that specifically tagged me explaining the process, so I didn’t really feel like I had a choice if that makes sense?
I’m also not really friendly with them either. We get along but I wouldn’t say we’re friends and most of the time they kind of get on my nerves tbh 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Thanks all I’m glad it’s not just me! There are people at my workplace I’ll buy things for because they are genuine friends, glad it’s not just me who feels it’s unfair to oblige people xx

Honestly, I couldn't really care less and I'd rather noone got me anything either. I've contributed to collections for those in my group ie those I go for tea/lunch with etc but not got in general. I only found out recently that there's a "gift book" where you put £2 in a month and it covers things like birthdays/wedding anniversary type things. Apparently someone should have signed me up when I started but they didn't and I'm planning on fully avoiding 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 4
In my department,you only get a collection/card if your face fits
For that reason I do not contribute and have made it clear that I will not be expecting anything from them.

• Heart
In my department,you only get a collection/card if your face fits
For that reason I do not contribute and have made it clear that I will not be expecting anything from them.
Same! I think only doing for milestone birthdays also means that if you haven’t got one for years you end up contributing and never being the recipient 🤷‍♀️😂 I’m also of the view that I’d rather they don’t bother for mine either. No one got my boss anything for hers in summer now someone’s 40 they get balloons, cake present and night out- how’s that fair? 🤣🤣🤣

Personally speaking, workplace collections and 'shouts' (you bring in the food/pay for the drinks) are never a good idea. They just create animosity over who has/hasn't donated, and who has/hasn't shouted or to an acceptable standard.

I work in what used to be a great place in the creative industry and we're all a bunch of oddballs who typically get along great (we're all so different, and were hired for our individual areas of expertise, which helps). About a year ago, the MD brought in an accountant part-time (previously all that stuff, including payroll was handled by an accounting firm), and things haven't been the same since. She doesn't really fit in personality-wise (on her first day, we hosted a welcoming morning tea for her, to which she blurted out that she'll be putting a stop to events like these) and from her first day there made it very clear that she was going to 'turn things around' ... which is a mystery in itself as the company was doing just fine before. The MD had made noises about selling the business so we assumed he brought her in to streamline a few things before doing so, but it's all turned to custard. In her time there, she's just created friction and infighting about things that previously weren't an issue, while trying to make her mark. A few of us have tried talking to the MD (who used to be a very approachable, open-door type of guy) about it, but he shuts us down fairly quickly. He's also become very stressed and jumpy over the past few months - I think this woman just has a knack for creating problems! She's pissed off our suppliers and clients with her rudeness and introduces herself to people as being in the senior management team (not true - we have a flat structure).

A couple of our colleagues resigned a while ago and are currently sitting out their restraint of trade, before they set up in competition; a few of us have been invited to join once they get things properly established. Such a shame how things have turned out. Just one rotten egg can really ruin it for everyone!​

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
Thanks all I’m glad it’s not just me! There are people at my workplace I’ll buy things for because they are genuine friends, glad it’s not just me who feels it’s unfair to oblige people xx
No, not just you and you're absolutely right. It's wrong to be putting people under pressure for money. I once worked with the 'Queen of Collecting Money for Colleagues I barely knew.'

She demanded money one time for a wedding present for a guy on another team. I know for a fact that one person on the same team as us, was struggling. She was paying her mother's mortgage, as well as all of her other outgoings including rent for her own place.

I didn't pay, I had nothing to do with the guy who was getting married. I barely knew him except to say hello. Why on earth would I want to give him a wedding present!

Very posh wedding, by all accounts. Not even the Queen of Collections was invited. She was very comfortable financially, as she never got tired of reminding us, but anyway...

• Heart
One of my coworkers is driving me up the wall. This person was on and off on sick leave for the last 7 months when he’s only been in the role for a year. Today, it was announced he found a job internally and will be moving soon. Last week, he claimed he still had tons of health issues and needed second opinions etc. I asked him again today if he’s doing any better and he said his health issues are “now a thing of the past” when he said last week they were long-standing. It is highly coincidencial his issues disappeared on the same day he got a new job …who is he fooling.

I’m surprised no manager asked him why he was too sick to work yet wasn’t sick enough to login to apply for jobs and go to interviews .

He keeps asking me why I’m still in the role and each time, I tell him it’s circumstantial (lost my parent a few months ago, I needed some time to process the loss first). Each time they get the same answer. I don’t need this type of BS right now.

Then today they bothered me all day long about why so and so hasn’t left the team yet or talking about the same thing on repeat hours apart (referring to how the manager announced their departure). I even had to say “you’ve already told me this three times today already”!

Some people think because they’re leaving, everyone needs to do the same. They keep bothering you all day when you have work to do. You’re leaving, cool but I’m still here and got work to do. Be gone already!

SMH.

Last edited:
  • Heart
It’s a mannerless zone in my office! Yesterday someone interrupted what I was doing to ask me to look something up.
I came out of my screen and found the info they wanted; they then walked off without a thanks!
Everyone ignores each other most of the day -I’m not exaggerating when I say I only leave my desk twice a day, max 🥱 When I do though, anyone I pass in the corridor on the way to the loo will not even acknowledge me.
(Can guarantee as soon as I take a mouthful of a sarnie at lunch though, someone will come and ask me something 😂)
The atmosphere is so oppressive - apart from the cliquey few - that I just about get a good morning when I go in, before sitting in this really heavy silence for hours.
I’m not a chatterbox; far from it, but it’d be nice to just have a couple of minutes here and there to break the monotony. I’ve honestly never worked in an atmosphere like this before.
Add to this that I’m the best thing since sliced bread when everyone else is off sick and loads needs doing, but virtually ignored when everyone is back at work, and I’m just so cheesed off.
I’ve become such a moaner too - I post on here at least once a week.
I’ve not been here 6 months yet, but I feel like it’s time to go 😞

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
Everyone talks over each other constantly in Teams meetings, it's horrendous. I am so sick of having to fight to be heard in meetings.
You never get to speak unless you butt in whilst someone else is speaking.
It's rude AF.
Occasionally I am on calls with other business areas and it's a joy that everyone raises their virtual hand before speaking, or if they want to add something after the curret speaker has finished.

You put your hand up in our calls and it gets ignored every time.

Also men mainsplaining constantly in meetings, or going into unnecessary detail. I don't need the minutiae, just be brief!

Everyone talks over each other constantly in Teams meetings, it's horrendous. I am so sick of having to fight to be heard in meetings.
You never get to speak unless you butt in whilst someone else is speaking.
It's rude AF.
Occasionally I am on calls with other business areas and it's a joy that everyone raises their virtual hand before speaking, or if they want to add something after the curret speaker has finished.

You put your hand up in our calls and it gets ignored every time.

Also men mainsplaining constantly in meetings, or going into unnecessary detail. I don't need the minutiae, just be brief!
Sounds chaos. That’s why I put my two cents in the chat so they all read it 😆

I’m new to the office and there was another guy that started a month or so before me and he’s just trying too hard to fit in. We’re a small office (5inc. Myself) and we all live normal healthy lives, we’re all runners so we have that in common. He does not BUT he like to think he knows what he’s on about and whatever he says just goes down like a led balloon- not just running but everything in general. They’re always something he’s winging about and everyone has just started to ignore him. One of the girls has just been on the phone to her fiancé and said love you as she hung up to which he responded with a throwing up sound… mature for a 39 year old. No one responded it was just awkward silence. He’s not even that good at what he does. I overheard them saying how he’s not great at proof reading and the work he produces isn’t to their standards…

• Haha
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.