Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Being told you need more confidence by a colleague with 20+ years experience when you're still fairly new šŸ˜‚ ok, thanks, that comment made me feel more confident. witch :cautious:

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
Being told you need more confidence by a colleague with 20+ years experience when you're still fairly new šŸ˜‚ ok, thanks, that comment made me feel more confident. witch :cautious:
It might not have been said in malice, I was told this many years ago and it made me fake confidence until I made it. Seriously, when youā€™re new - take advice as advice, not as criticism, sometimes itā€™s hard but sometimes things stick šŸ™ŒšŸ¼

Reactions: 5
It might not have been said in malice, I was told this many years ago and it made me fake confidence until I made it. Seriously, when youā€™re new - take advice as advice, not as criticism, sometimes itā€™s hard but sometimes things stick šŸ™ŒšŸ¼
I know šŸ˜˜ but hindsight is a wonderful thing, when you've got experience it's easy to see others mistakes, it does nothing for the new person's confidence though to point it out bluntly when some understanding and praise would be more helpful

• Heart
I know šŸ˜˜ but hindsight is a wonderful thing, when you've got experience it's easy to see others mistakes, but it does nothing for the new person's confidence to point it out bluntly when some understanding and praise would be more helpful
I completely agree. Praise is essential, as is highlighting things that need working on. Finding the balance as a manager is such a hard thing to navigate!

Reactions: 3
People who think they're above everyone else and deserve special treatment.

One of my co-workers will start an MBA in September (not funded by the company) and has requested every single Thursday afternoon off for two years while remaining a full time employee. It appears the company agreed to this and now w have to cover for them every single Thursday afternoon when they're off according to my manager. Fair enough if they had become part time and their workload alleviated accordingly, but they're still full-time which makes zero sense.

There are plenty of people out there who are doing part-time degrees and I don't know of anyone who requested such arrangement while placing the burden on other employees.

This in addition of someone who has been on "sick" leave for the last couple of months and I had to pick up the slack. So effectively, every Thursday, it will be just myself and the manager. If they're expecting me to pick up the slack, not happening. I have extenuating circumstances too and I've never asked for special treatment. I'm tired of these people who think their situations are so "critical" people need to cater to their every demand while placing an unfair burden on other people.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
When you ask someone to call a customer back and they email them šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜”

Reactions: 6

One of my co-workers will start an MBA in September (not funded by the company) and has requested every single Thursday afternoon off for two years while remaining a full time employee. It appears the company agreed to this and now w have to cover for them every single Thursday afternoon when they're off according to my manager. Fair enough if they had become part time and their workload alleviated accordingly, but they're still full-time which makes zero sense.

There are plenty of people out there who are doing part-time degrees and I don't know of anyone who requested such arrangement while placing the burden on other employees.

This in addition of someone who has been on "sick" leave for the last couple of months and I had to pick up the slack. So effectively, every Thursday, it will be just myself and the manager. If they're expecting me to pick up the slack, not happening. I have extenuating circumstances too and I've never asked for special treatment. I'm tired of these people who think their situations are so "critical" people need to cater to their every demand while placing an unfair burden on other people.
TBF they did ask the company and a regular half day mightā€™ve been reasonable to them - but they should not expect you to cover without discussing, I agree.
Everyone has a right to go for further study and take that chance to do it, and self-funding opens up that opportunity quicker than expecting the company to pay for it. You might enjoy the quiet time šŸ˜†
Iā€™m also finishing my Uni studies and just changed working to 4 longer days in week, but told to come in 2x week whilst my other office no-show colleagues have been working PT for many many years and are taking more days off in summer so they were prob expecting me to pick up their slack. Iā€™m also sick of my older colleague ā€œremindingā€ me to do things via Teams first thing every Monday when they should let me get on with my day as I already know what to prioritise. Also theyā€™ve been allowed to WFH for the foreseeable future since Xmas whilst I have to slog it in on a long commute via public transport, ok for 2x week but regularly I'm the only one from my sub-team šŸ§
I kicked off today about my workload via Teams, but itā€™s been a long time comingā€¦ especially as this job has too many problems with internal systems and record keeping is Sh!te.
Itā€™s been a shame we donā€™t have a regular F2F team meeting with our manager about the workloads and the change in hours as I could have discussed our expectations and priorities, especially as Iā€™ve now been spearheaded to take on more work in fewer days, with a new Co-worker all the whilst trying to finish my thesis šŸ„¹ and Iā€™m very tempted to throw in the towel and take time off to do it in the next few months but I donā€™t want to let my Co-workers down šŸ„²

TBF they did ask the company and a regular half day mightā€™ve been reasonable to them - but they should not expect you to cover without discussing, I agree.
Everyone has a right to go for further study and take that chance to do it, and self-funding opens up that opportunity quicker than expecting the company to pay for it. You might enjoy the quiet time šŸ˜†
Iā€™m also finishing my Uni studies and just changed working to 4 longer days in week, but told to come in 2x week whilst my other office no-show colleagues have been working PT for many many years and are taking more days off in summer so they were prob expecting me to pick up their slack. Iā€™m also sick of my older colleague ā€œremindingā€ me to do things via Teams first thing every Monday when they should let me get on with my day as I already know what to prioritise. Also theyā€™ve been allowed to WFH for the foreseeable future since Xmas whilst I have to slog it in on a long commute via public transport, ok for 2x week but regularly I'm the only one from my sub-team šŸ§
I kicked off today about my workload via Teams, but itā€™s been a long time comingā€¦ especially as this job has too many problems with internal systems and record keeping is Sh!te.
Itā€™s been a shame we donā€™t have a regular F2F team meeting with our manager about the workloads and the change in hours as I could have discussed our expectations and priorities, especially as Iā€™ve now been spearheaded to take on more work in fewer days, with a new Co-worker all the whilst trying to finish my thesis šŸ„¹ and Iā€™m very tempted to throw in the towel and take time off to do it in the next few months but I donā€™t want to let my Co-workers down šŸ„²

I'm not sure I understand the bit about "they did ask the company". How else would they go about it?

I still don't see why they need every Thursday afternoon off when their course is in the evening past 6.30pm. No matter how your spin it, asking for every Thursday afternoon off for 2 years is not reasonable unless you move to part-time.

I did a part-time course and so did plenty of people in the company and we all said it's an unreasonable expectation to take every Thursday afternoon off for 2 whole years. I personally do not agree with this. If you cannot manage your time with a full-time job, then you shouldn't engage in further studies period. There are people out there who are juggling a full-time job, studies and kids including my former manager and they're not asking for special treatment.

We're severely understaffed with one person off sick and this person now requiring Thursday afternoon off every single week, leaving just me in the office on Thursday afternoon. Not reasonable nor fair if the course is not sponsored by the company. I'd understand it if the company was financing the course, but if it's out of your own initiative and pocket, then you should manage your own time adequately without seeking special treatment. What you do in your personal life is no one's business. First time in my life I've seen this type of request even when I was working in one of the top accounting firms and tons of employees were sitting their ACA at the same time.

I made it very clear to my manager this person needs to ensure their work is managed accordingly and they better not expect me to cover for them every Thursday afternoon when I'm already covering for a person who has been on "sick" leave for months.

I personally do not agree with any of this. They may have thought it was "reasonable", but again, never seen this type of request anywhere else. Then again, this is coming from someone who asked for their pens to be refunded when they joined the company remotely. The spectrum of what is "reasonable" for this person is quite questionable.

• Haha
I'm not sure I understand the bit about "they did ask the company". How else would they go about it?

I still don't see why they need every Thursday afternoon off when their course is in the evening past 6.30pm. No matter how your spin it, asking for every Thursday afternoon off for 2 years is not reasonable unless you move to part-time.

I did a part-time course and so did plenty of people in the company and we all said it's an unreasonable expectation to take every Thursday afternoon off for 2 whole years. I personally do not agree with this. If you cannot manage your time with a full-time job, then you shouldn't engage in further studies period. There are people out there who are juggling a full-time job, studies and kids including my former manager and they're not asking for special treatment.

We're severely understaffed with one person off sick and this person now requiring Thursday afternoon off every single week, leaving just me in the office on Thursday afternoon. Not reasonable nor fair if the course is not sponsored by the company. I'd understand it if the company was financing the course, but if it's out of your own initiative and pocket, then you should manage your own time adequately without seeking special treatment. What you do in your personal life is no one's business. First time in my life I've seen this type of request even when I was working in one of the top accounting firms and tons of employees were sitting their ACA at the same time.

I made it very clear to my manager this person needs to ensure their work is managed accordingly and they better not expect me to cover for them every Thursday afternoon when I'm already covering for a person who has been on "sick" leave for months.

I personally do not agree with any of this. They may have thought it was "reasonable", but again, never seen this type of request anywhere else. Then again, this is coming from someone who asked for their pens to be refunded when they joined the company remotely. The spectrum of what is "reasonable" for this person is quite questionable.
Wow they must be a penny pincher, but they are going to be spending Ā£20k+ on fees probably.

Yes these days companies do request to know if someone is doing a course in their own time as it can impact business needs and they donā€™t want to also pay them to study in working hours, so they can request them to use paid or unpaid leave and keep the work/study separate. I used to have fortnight tutorials in evenings but had to do a lot of pre-reading and prep beforehand as Iā€™d be worried even though it was on Zoom. I also had a colleague who did Law yonks ago and they would leave early to drive to their lectures in town.

Well, Iā€™m thinking to forget having half a day off now, and just have a week or two off each month. That way I can block Work out of mind. Iā€™ll book the time tomorrow ā˜ŗ Besides they already know Iā€™ll be going back to FT end of year so I may as well use my paid leave as I wish!

Reactions: 2
Wow they must be a penny pincher, but they are going to be spending Ā£20k+ on fees probably.

Yes these days companies do request to know if someone is doing a course in their own time as it can impact business needs and they donā€™t want to also pay them to study in working hours, so they can request them to use paid or unpaid leave and keep the work/study separate. I used to have fortnight tutorials in evenings but had to do a lot of pre-reading and prep beforehand as Iā€™d be worried even though it was on Zoom. I also had a colleague who did Law yonks ago and they would leave early to drive to their lectures in town.

Well, Iā€™m thinking to forget having half a day off now, and just have a week or two off each month. That way I can block Work out of mind. Iā€™ll book the time tomorrow ā˜ŗ Besides they already know Iā€™ll be going back to FT end of year so I may as well use my paid leave as I wish!
Not really. There is absolutely no obligation to disclose if you're doing a course you're paying for on your own and I actually specifically remember having a conversation with a previous manager at a previous company about this. It's nowhere stipulated in any work contract I've ever had personally. Again, what you do in your personal time is no one's business. Voluntary disclosure is appreciated, but it's not an obligation if it's not going to impact your work in any way shape or form. Your work has to be done regardless. This is why part-time courses are generally after business hours and on Saturday morning.

The bit about "worrying" about your preparation while on a Zoom call etc... again, that is your own personal business. Other people might have other things they are worried about too that may affect their performance or attention span during Zoom calls. Does this need to be disclosed too? I don't think worrying about your preparation on a Zoom call is a relevant justification in my eyes. We all have personal lives and things we worry about. It's life.

There is a difference between disclosure and asking for special treatment. Every Thursday afternoon for two years is special treatment. I've never seen this before in any company.

We won't agree on this but my personal stance is unless it is sponsored by the company, what you do in your personal time is yours only.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Not really. There is absolutely no obligation to disclose if you're doing a course you're paying for on your own and I actually specifically remember having a conversation with a previous manager at a previous company about this. It's nowhere stipulated in any work contract I've ever had personally. Again, what you do in your personal time is no one's business. Voluntary disclosure is appreciated, but it's not an obligation if it's not going to impact your work in any way shape or form. Your work has to be done regardless. This is why part-time courses are generally after business hours and on Saturday morning.

The bit about "worrying" about your preparation while on a Zoom call etc... again, that is your own personal business. Other people might have other things they are worried about too that may affect their performance or attention span during Zoom calls. Does this need to be disclosed too? I don't think worrying about your preparation on a Zoom call is a relevant justification in my eyes. We all have personal lives and things we worry about. It's life.

There is a difference between disclosure and asking for special treatment. Every Thursday afternoon for two years is special treatment. I've never seen this before in any company.

We won't agree on this but my personal stance is unless it is sponsored by the company, what you do in your personal time is yours only.
Iā€™m glad I donā€™t work with the likes of you, and also stop picking on my personal context which I have provided here re Zoom which you have over-analysed šŸ˜†

We have flexible working hours so we can leave at 3pm. Our company want us to have a work-life balance how about that. Answers on a postcard.

Every company has different managers and contracts šŸ˜‚ Try working elsewhere

Reactions: 2
The company who has let an employee take every Thursday afternoon off - that is purely between that employee and the company. Management of the work from that period is a management issue, and itā€™s not for another employee to just take it on or be expected to take it on. If itā€™s suggested that the work for that period of time is landing on you, ask what is being taken off you? Diligent employees (and I am one!) cause issues for themselves by not saying no and not asking for help when itā€™s needed, and itā€™s always to our own detriment.

• Heart
Reactions: 13

I am with you on this. Someone on my team has been granted 3 hours off every Tuesday to go attend pilates session because of 'mental health reasons' and they don't have to make the time up and yet any of the rest of us ask to come in early and leave early once to run an urgent errand, it's "no". It's unfair. They should make up the time. Or do Pilates at the weekend or evening.

The company who has let an employee take every Thursday afternoon off - that is purely between that employee and the company. Management of the work from that period is a management issue, and itā€™s not for another employee to just take it on or be expected to take it on. If itā€™s suggested that the work for that period of time is landing on you, ask what is being taken off you? Diligent employees (and I am one!) cause issues for themselves by not saying no and not asking for help when itā€™s needed, and itā€™s always to our own detriment.
I agree, I have experienced this, and I've seen it happen to my husband at his work too, often the diligent end up taking slack upon slack, and others take the piss by taking extra inches to cover their own incompetentence. It's always the diligent that end up paying the price. ā˜¹ I now try to push back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I am with you on this. Someone on my team has been granted 3 hours off every Tuesday to go attend pilates session because of 'mental health reasons' and they don't have to make the time up and yet any of the rest of us ask to come in early and leave early once to run an urgent errand, it's "no". It's unfair. They should make up the time. Or do Pilates at the weekend or evening.
I agree - it's completely unfair. If you're going to give special treatment to one person, you need to do the same for other people or not do it at all. Everyone has a lot going on.

I agree - it's completely unfair. If you're going to give special treatment to one person, you need to do the same for other people or not do it at all. Everyone has a lot going on.
Forgive me if this is a silly question but if you need time off regularly, why don't you put in a request?

Regarding the Thursday afternoon thing. I requested an afternoon off a week and it was granted. I dont see the big deal. However my afternoon does not impact anyone else and I can understand why someone wouldn't want to pick up the slack from someone having a paid afternoon off.

Eta, despite my afternoon off not affecting anyone there are still people I work with who witch and moan about it. I actually complete my work later on in the evening they just don't see me doing it because im at home.

If you need time off from work put in an official request.
If you donā€™t need it, donā€™t moan

donā€™t expect everyone else to behave like you as you will always be disappointed

Reactions: 6
If you need time off from work put in an official request.
If you donā€™t need it, donā€™t moan

donā€™t expect everyone else to behave like you as you will always be disappointed
Side note: The patronizing tone is uncalled for.

If I wanted time off, I'd be asking for it.

Of course, I am going to moan if I'm expected to pick up for this person every Thursday afternoon when we are severely understaffed and 2/3 of the team is off. If it is impacting me directly, yes I am going to have an issue with it and anyone with half a brain would. Are they paying me more to cover for the person on sick leave and this person every Thursday afternoon? Where does it stop exactly?

Exactly. Very sensible post and completely hits the nail on the head. I've nothing to add. I 100% agree.

• Haha
Side note: The patronizing tone is uncalled for.

If I wanted time off, I'd be asking for it.

Of course, I am going to moan if I'm expected to pick up for this person every Thursday afternoon when we are severely understaffed and 2/3 of the team is off. If it is impacting me directly, yes I am going to have an issue with it and anyone with half a brain would. Are they paying me more to cover for the person on sick leave and this person every Thursday afternoon? Where does it stop exactly?

Exactly. Very sensible post and completely hits the nail on the head. I've nothing to add. I 100% agree.
it wonā€™t stop. it will continue for as long as you put up with it. Most likely get worse too

i wasnā€™t patronising you and I understand you need to vent but you need to speak up for yourself in the workplace and have a discussion around workload and capacity

My new Do Not Disturb status to colleagues is ā€œon Zoom callā€, even though we use Teams šŸ˜†

My WhatsApp status is ā€œpreparing for Zoom callā€ šŸ˜†

30977871-DDC9-4C24-8BB8-B98F98BBDB62.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.