Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #3

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Some people need to stop airing their dirty laundry (or disagreements) in calls where part of the audience has no involvement in whatever drama happened between them. I was dragged into a call hat had nothing to do with me but they wanted me as "backup". Then two people on the call literally started arguing with each other with person A saying "you're imposing your work onto other people, things you can do yourself" then it went on with person B responding "I'm not imposing anything, I'm asking for something" and person A retorquing "You're not asking, you're demanding and we don't have capacity to cater to your every demand. If you want to escalate to the department head, please do so. We can take this up with HR".

Now, I have to agree that the person "accused" of demanding things has been the rudest, most egoistical person to deal with and they have a strong tendency to dodge their work onto other people. Some people even raised complaints about this. However, the call wasn't about this and I wasted an hour on a call that a) was not relevant to me b) was unprofessional with people airing their dirty laundry.
I get the sense that people put all their woes upon you and you aren’t comfortable with that, but my question is why do they feel so comfortable doing that? I get you come here to vent but I think it’s time to find an impartial confident in your workplace that you can talk things through with. It’s really difficult for me to talk about work with my friends because they all work in different sectors so none of us really understand the gravitas of certain situations. I found someone on my level at work but another department allows me to vent but also takes an objective view on situations and it’s really helped!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I get the sense that people put all their woes upon you and you aren’t comfortable with that, but my question is why do they feel so comfortable doing that? I get you come here to vent but I think it’s time to find an impartial confident in your workplace that you can talk things through with. It’s really difficult for me to talk about work with my friends because they all work in different sectors so none of us really understand the gravitas of certain situations. I found someone on my level at work but another department allows me to vent but also takes an objective view on situations and it’s really helped!
Thank you.

Quite frankly, no, I'm not comfortable with any of this. Everyone's problem turns into my problem in one capacity or another. I wish I had a confident in the company but I don't. I have a therapist which certainly helps until I find a new job.

Reactions: 4
I don't like it when anyone uses my desk ... obviously it's not "mine" but it feels like my little corner of the world / my safe space for when I'm at work ... I was away at a workshop yesterday and someone decided they wanted to sit there (it's not a hot desk), and they left it really messy, adjusted my chair to a weird setting that took a while to get back to normal, changed my desk phone ring tone and stretched my headset! They seem to do this a lot (at various spots around the office) ... probably because their own desk is a pigsty.

Someone keeps pinching my fruit chutney from the fridge, too. I've put a sticker on it with my name, along with a message asking people to please ask me if they'd like some - not to seem like I'm policing it, but more from a coeliac perspective (I don't want contaminated - with gluten - cutlery going in it), yet the message isn't getting through. I guess I'll have to take to keeping my lunch bits and pieces at my desk.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
I don't like it when anyone uses my desk ... obviously it's not "mine" but it feels like my little corner of the world / my safe space for when I'm at work ... I was away at a workshop yesterday and someone decided they wanted to sit there (it's not a hot desk), and they left it really messy, adjusted my chair to a weird setting that took a while to get back to normal, changed my desk phone ring tone and stretched my headset! They seem to do this a lot (at various spots around the office) ... probably because their own desk is a pigsty.

Someone keeps pinching my fruit chutney from the fridge, too. I've put a sticker on it with my name, along with a message asking people to please ask me if they'd like some - not to seem like I'm policing it, but more from a coeliac perspective (I don't want contaminated - with gluten - cutlery going in it), yet the message isn't getting through. I guess I'll have to take to keeping my lunch bits and pieces at my desk.
I had to sit at a colleagues desk for an hour yesterday. I left it exactly as I found it. You do not change anything on someone elses permanent desk, you just dont.
Sone people are just pigs.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

When i worked in an office years ago - i had someone use my PC while i was on holiday - ther desk itself was a mess when i g ot back the PC search history was another story - i had to report it!!!

• Wow
Reactions: 14
When i worked in an office years ago - i had someone use my PC while i was on holiday - ther desk itself was a mess when i g ot back the PC search history was another story - i had to report it!!!
Oh! this sounds interesting.... can you tell us more about the search history?

Lunchtime in canteen 2 colleagues are incapable of blowing their noses, so they are shovelling food in and sniffing away. My stomach is churning.
This. 🤮 I sit on a bank of desks with two young lads who come in every Monday with a *ahem* “Colombian cold” and the sound of them both breathing snot back into their throats instead of just blowing their noses makes me want to take a cheese grater to my skin. It’s vile.

• Sick
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Oh! this sounds interesting.... can you tell us more about the search history?
Lets just say the search terms were for naughty things and close to not being legal - they knew it wasnet me cos A why would i report it B i am not stupid i know the computers are monitored

• Haha
  • Wow

I don’t understand people having the audacity to come into a shared space that they are only using for a brief period of time and rearranging everything. I had a colleague who did the same. One day I had enough and asked “when you go on holiday for a week or two…do you move all the furniture around in the room? Do you decorate? No. So why do you think it’s ok to come into a shared space for a few hours and move things around. It’s a bit passive aggressive really.” 😂 x

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Everything!
I’ve only been there a short while and I had such high hopes for this job, but it’s turned out to be the weirdest, most draining atmosphere I’ve ever worked in. Stifling.
Then there’s work allocation. Some get away with taking almost all day to do one job; others get more and more dumped on them. Every day it’s decided to do things a different way, and the more accommodating you are, the more is expected of you.
Add to this a team leader who is a complete control freak and it’s starting to push me over the edge!
I did have a mini meltdown last week - in a very controlled way - because I seem to get so much dumped on me, and I ended up making a silly mistake. Mistake was my fault, but the imbalance of work isn’t being noticed.
I felt really bad for trying to defend myself afterwards so now I’m just morphing into the rest of the stepford workers 😂

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Do you ever think some people live to be annoying?

The most rarest of things occurred today - I had a free afternoon! Not a single meeting. So I had a few things earmarked to crack on with - and blocked the whole afternoon out to make that clear.

So of course I get a Teams IM from some annoying guy: "Hi Ensay, can I have an urgent meeting this afternoon?" 😡

• Sad
Do you ever think some people live to be annoying?

The most rarest of things occurred today - I had a free afternoon! Not a single meeting. So I had a few things earmarked to crack on with - and blocked the whole afternoon out to make that clear.

So of course I get a Teams IM from some annoying guy: "Hi Ensay, can I have an urgent meeting this afternoon?" 😡
IM him back saying ‘Ensay says no way’

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6

That’s so annoying! I have a nut allergy and i have taken to bringing my lunch in a insulated bag and keep it under my desk. I’ve seen the state people leave the fridge in, and also pinching of other peoples’ food. No thanks! People can be pigs at work, leaving mess everywhere. I feel exactly the same way about my desk, it’s my corner!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
There was a woman I worked with.
If you had new shoes, dress, went out for a meal, bought something for the house, anything…she would say “how much did you pay for that?”

Reactions: 8
I’m currently working with a set of ‘mean girls’ who are lazy witches too. I’m constantly having to pick up their work load to keep things on track while they won’t even acknowledge I’m there. Today I had to leave bang on my finish time and the look I got when they realised I wouldn’t stay late to help them finish their job 🤬

• Sad
I honestly had to put everyone on time out today because I am tired of the chronic complaining in my team. (I complain too but on Tattle only lol). They all complain to me about the exact same person (who is a real piece of work).
  • Per my previous post, I got dragged into a meeting on Monday and it turned into a confrontation between the "problematic" person and someone else. I wasted an hour of my day listening to two people bickering and one threatening to go to HR.
  • My manager also complains to me about this same individual all the time but does not seem to want to address the issue whether with HR or their own manager.
  • The other member of the team pinged me this at 9am this morning complaining "I'm tired of this problematic person because they did XYZ yadi yada".
I am in the midst of an assignment with senior management, I don't have time for this, so I ended up ignoring everyone on Teams today because every single day I get complains from people about this person. It's rude but it's becoming a joke at this point. I'm tired of hearing about their latest shenanigans. I try my best not to interact with this "problematic" person because they have a lot of issues and I even wonder why anyone is allowing someone like this to stay in a company. It's shocking.

• Sad
  • Wow
Can I get advice on something here...I am interviewing for jobs at the moment mainly because of my manager!

Anyway a few months ago she suggested a short course which is a little expensive at approx 1500 euro. She occasionally tries to appear supportive and this was one of those times. I knew i was planning to leave so i said i would look into it and waited as long as I could but she mentioned it again earlier this week so I felt I had to sign up for it. But I have since gotten a fair few interviews set up and I feel so guilty...my notice is really long so even and if I hand in my notice in the next week or so it would be at the very end of my notice period.

If one of the jobs works out I was going to say I would pay for it myself just as a goodwill gesture. What do ye think?

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.