Annoying things your work colleagues do all the time? #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Does anyone else work in a place where the "important people" (accountants in my case) need to have their hands held to an absolutely bizarre degree?

These are people with above average intelligence and they get treated like toddlers by all the support staff (my department). It's as if they couldn't find their way out of a paper bag. Worst of all, now there's a culture of it and if you're not there to hold their hand every single step of the way through the simplest of tasks you get blamed.

Also, I can't stand it when people not even that much older than me say they're "technophobes" or "rubbish at computers".

It's 2022. Basic computer skills is up there next to being able to read and write.

If I couldn't read or write, I couldn't do my job. A 40-something saying "ohh but my mouse isn't mousing, will you do it instead" is not an excuse. Get yourself to a bloody computer class.

/rant

• Heart
Reactions: 12
@oicheliath Yep. I used to work for a major accounting / consulting firm as part of an internal team. My team was supporting client-facing consultants / managers / directors etc.. and the behaviour some people had was ridiculous. Some of these people accountants and lawyers but pretended they were terrible with numbers, so someone had to always land them a hand and guide them for hours on end. Granted, it was part of my job, but if you're an accountant and you don't know how to set-up your project budget in a system and manage it properly then I wonder where you got your qualification from. We had to bend over and backwards because they were the ones generating the company's revenue.

It's also the same in my current role. I'm an "analyst" supporting "directors" and I'm treated with such condescension as if I were a new graduate when I have years of experience. These people literally panic if they don't get an automated email telling them something is pending for approval in the system when they can just go into the system and check the pending item after I've emailed them.

It's bad because these people treat anyone supporting them like second-class citizens when they're well capable of doing certain things themselves yet choose to make a big drama out of everything they can't do because their title allows them to. It says a lot about their character. Everyone is busy. People who say "this is not my job" because they think a particular task is beneath them are probably the worst.

Reactions: 1
‘Can you just come on this call to talk about xx’. 5 minutes before the call with no time to prepare or guidance as to what they want me to cover! Grrrrrr

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.