Anatomy of a Scandal - Netflix

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just finished and I really liked the underlying themes. I felt like the story relied too heavily on stereotypes and tropes to get it’s’ point across though, and there were massive holes in the ending.

it isn’t really about rape, or whether he’d done it or not. It isn’t really about the outcome of the trial.

its about entitlement. How men of a certain social class (and they don’t have to be bullingdon club, Tory types to exhibit the type of entitlement that James Whitehouse exhibits), have a certain outlook and view. How it’s pervasive. How we might not like to see it but our middle class husbands, brothers, sons all probably have an element of this entitlement. The white british male has been born into a world that has been shaped and moulded by people who looked like him, to work in the favour of people who look like him and is still run by people who look like him.

As James’ mother points out - women and girls just don’t ever get that self assuredness. James’ sisters were never as confident as him and his mother isn’t self aware enough to understand why. But the viewer understands its because women aren’t conditioned to feel entitled to the world in the way men are. It hasn’t been built for us, it hasn’t been built to work in our favour. It’s been built for men and we exist to compliment men. Sophie realises this at the end. She’s always seen the world through James’s lens. Stood by his side unquestioningly.

We (and Sophie) see it in action in the difference in how James speaks to his son v his daughter. He repeatedly tells his son that Whitehouses always come out on top. He speaks to him face to face. He answers his questions directly. In short - he tells his son he is entitled to certain expectations from life. He is entitled to come out on top. His daughter, he is affectionate and warm towards. But he doesn’t speak to her directly. He sometimes ignores her questions or let’s Sophie answer them instead. He doesn’t speak to her face to face and he never teaches her the same entitlement that he teaches his son.

the difference in the two kids paths and how this is being determined - is shown when their mother returns to the house in the penultimate episode (I think). The son asks Sophie questions. Demands answers - he’s already exhibiting entitled behaviour. Her daughter on the other hand, is empathetic. She watches as Sophie has a cigarette in the garden with concern.

it’s ultimately why Sophie chooses to leave James. She sees how his entitlement has blinded him, turned him into a “brute” and she wants to break the cycle. I think it would have been more powerful to focus on that, instead of trying to end the story on an unrealistic investigation into the heroin death which, let’s face it, had a lot of plot holes.
the harsh reality is that men like James probably won’t ever change, and they won’t ever face consequences. But we can change the next generation, like Sophie chose to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Just finished and can’t believe that despite being well made, the two female leads especially the barrister left me cold. Saw the twist coming a mile off. Predictable, heavy on the messaging and unlikeable leads all round.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
The Whitehouse’s house was actually a set built because Covid restrictions prevented them from using a real location! I googled because I had huge
wallpaper envy😂

Finished it tonight. I think I was the only one who didn’t see the twist coming.
Overall it was ok, filled a bit of time after the incomparable Split!

Reactions: 3
I quite enjoyed it, but I agree that the SFX were unnecessary, I must be the only one who didn’t see the twist coming!

Reactions: 2
The Whitehouse’s house was actually a set built because Covid restrictions prevented them from using a real location! I googled because I had huge
wallpaper envy😂

Finished it tonight. I think I was the only one who didn’t see the twist coming.
Overall it was ok, filled a bit of time after the incomparable Split!
Absolutely! What's on your watch list now? I'm struggling to find something as good!

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Worst thing I’ve watched in quite a while and kept thinking there would be a lot more to the story line but it never came. Felt exactly like when I watch one BBC drama a year that always leaves me disappointed

I hated how fake the House of Commons set was 😂. Surely, if you can afford Sienna Miller you could make it look at least a little bit realistic 😂

Reactions: 3
Just finished this the other night. Half way through the first episode I realised I've already read the book.

I saw the twist a mile off when I read the book and the TV show didn't do any better. Didn't rate the book, don't rate the TV show either.

Why hasn’t a single thing I’ve read online about this show mentioned A character called Holly Berry and not one mention of Hallè Berry or calling the character Halle Berry, even as a joke, especially seeing as the uni scenes are set in the 90s? Also the absolutely ridiculousness of naming a character Holly Berry in a serious literature way

• Haha
I hated how fake the House of Commons set was 😂. Surely, if you can afford Sienna Miller you could make it look at least a little bit realistic 😂
they are real! The corridor scenes are the John Ryland library in Manchester (stunning library but really overused in cinema and kinda ruin the suspension of belief a bit for me since it’s so instantly recognisable!) the chamber itself I think was filmed at the charter house school in surrey

I don’t understand why Kate, as a woman who is in a career she’s worked so hard for, would risk it all for this. If she felt so strongly about the whole thing she could have come forward as a victim and/or passed the case to a colleague she trusted and respected.

Reactions: 11
Why hasn’t a single thing I’ve read online about this show mentioned A character called Holly Berry and not one mention of Hallè Berry or calling the character Halle Berry, even as a joke, especially seeing as the uni scenes are set in the 90s? Also the absolutely ridiculousness of naming a character Holly Berry in a serious literature way
Because if you'd known about Holly Berry that wouldve let u know how silly the show is and u may not have watched it. I think the point of Holly Berry name is it's such a ridiculous name that it just shows how removed the Whitehouses from the little people that they don't put her face to such a memorable name

I don’t understand why Kate, as a woman who is in a career she’s worked so hard for, would risk it all for this. If she felt so strongly about the whole thing she could have come forward as a victim and/or passed the case to a colleague she trusted and respected.
Watched 2 episodes and given up. I haven’t read any of the spoilers on here yet but will. It was obvious to us at the end of episode 1 that Kate shouldn’t have taken the case for the same reasons you’ve mentioned and it was obvious the Christmas name was going to be part of that.

Loved the book, liked the Netflix show. It raises a lot of good points at the moment about how there's more ways to consent / not consent other than just using the word "no" which is very topical at the mo and also educational and would make people think.