Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

cee-bee

VIP Member
I’ve just finished and I really liked the underlying themes. I felt like the story relied too heavily on stereotypes and tropes to get it’s’ point across though, and there were massive holes in the ending.

it isn’t really about rape, or whether he’d done it or not. It isn’t really about the outcome of the trial.

its about entitlement. How men of a certain social class (and they don’t have to be bullingdon club, Tory types to exhibit the type of entitlement that James Whitehouse exhibits), have a certain outlook and view. How it’s pervasive. How we might not like to see it but our middle class husbands, brothers, sons all probably have an element of this entitlement. The white british male has been born into a world that has been shaped and moulded by people who looked like him, to work in the favour of people who look like him and is still run by people who look like him.

As James’ mother points out - women and girls just don’t ever get that self assuredness. James’ sisters were never as confident as him and his mother isn’t self aware enough to understand why. But the viewer understands its because women aren’t conditioned to feel entitled to the world in the way men are. It hasn’t been built for us, it hasn’t been built to work in our favour. It’s been built for men and we exist to compliment men. Sophie realises this at the end. She’s always seen the world through James’s lens. Stood by his side unquestioningly.

We (and Sophie) see it in action in the difference in how James speaks to his son v his daughter. He repeatedly tells his son that Whitehouses always come out on top. He speaks to him face to face. He answers his questions directly. In short - he tells his son he is entitled to certain expectations from life. He is entitled to come out on top. His daughter, he is affectionate and warm towards. But he doesn’t speak to her directly. He sometimes ignores her questions or let’s Sophie answer them instead. He doesn’t speak to her face to face and he never teaches her the same entitlement that he teaches his son.

the difference in the two kids paths and how this is being determined - is shown when their mother returns to the house in the penultimate episode (I think). The son asks Sophie questions. Demands answers - he’s already exhibiting entitled behaviour. Her daughter on the other hand, is empathetic. She watches as Sophie has a cigarette in the garden with concern.

it’s ultimately why Sophie chooses to leave James. She sees how his entitlement has blinded him, turned him into a “brute” and she wants to break the cycle. I think it would have been more powerful to focus on that, instead of trying to end the story on an unrealistic investigation into the heroin death which, let’s face it, had a lot of plot holes.
the harsh reality is that men like James probably won’t ever change, and they won’t ever face consequences. But we can change the next generation, like Sophie chose to do.

• Heart
Reactions: 19

aidil

VIP Member
Started watching this tonight, three episodes in and want to punch them all in the face.

• Haha
Reactions: 13

Flojo89

I don’t understand why Kate, as a woman who is in a career she’s worked so hard for, would risk it all for this. If she felt so strongly about the whole thing she could have come forward as a victim and/or passed the case to a colleague she trusted and respected.

Reactions: 11

Joannabloggs

VIP Member
Sophie whitehouse's wardrobe and interior design of homes were great, everything else was an absolute mess namely:
- swooping camera work gave me vertigo
- unnecessary SFX
- unnatural dialogue “You think like a poet … politics could always use more poetry” 🙄🤢
- the plot twist that you could see from a mile off
- the closing shot

I would say it's worth a watch but as usual, I think itv/ BBC do brit drama a lot better than netflix

Reactions: 10

Mark81

VIP Member
Really enjoying this so far, high quality for Netflix. Feels more like a bbc production.

Only thing I don't like is the slight gimmick at the end of episode 1.

• Heart

Mark81

VIP Member
Interesting as I felt it was the best Netflix drama for a long time. It just had a classy feel to it, and mostly felt realistic.

The weird sfx at the end of every episode did seem pointless and yeah the twist was obvious but then I wasn't sure if it was really meant to be that much of a twist.

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
The story was the main letdown. I don't know why they spend so much money on doing everything else so well if the basics aren't in place.
The book comes into the charity shop I volunteer in almost as frequently as Dan Brown ones.

Tells you all you need to know really.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 9
Off today and have watched the first episode and I’m hooked, I really really want Sophie to get a back bone though or even get a bit angry.

Reactions: 7

Yel

Chatty Member
Watched it all and

really didn't rate it. The twist was obvious and not very imaginative. Then it played out exactly as you'd expect it to. It was so obvious he'd be not found guilty, the wife would leave and holy would have retribution. Mehflix strikes again

Reactions: 7

aidil

VIP Member
Ugh another Netflix letdown. These dramas always show so much promise and then jump the shark 2/3 of the way through.

Reactions: 6

Yel

Chatty Member
The effect at the end of each episode added nothing but I didn't mind it. Kinda worked for the first episode with hearing about the rape allegation and then they shoehorned it in for the others.

The story was the main letdown. I don't know why they spend so much money on doing everything else so well if the basics aren't in place.

Reactions: 6

Into_the_tunnel

VIP Member
Really enjoying this so far, high quality for Netflix. Feels more like a bbc production.

Only thing I don't like is the slight gimmick at the end of episode 1.
Bingeing it at the moment because of covid.

It has David E Kelley as an Exec producer so it feels slick. Not entirely sure about Sienna but I love the actor from downtown.

Reactions: 5

Wifo1976

VIP Member
Off today and have watched the first episode and I’m hooked, I really really want Sophie to get a back bone though or even get a bit angry.
Exactly this!!! She’s taking it rather well, considering! I find them all a bit Hoorah Henry at the moment, I’m sure that’s how it’s meant to be but it’s a bit irritating.

Mark81

VIP Member
Bingeing it at the moment because of covid.

It has David E Kelley as an Exec producer so it feels slick. Not entirely sure about Sienna but I love the actor from downtown.
Yeah I agree on sienna. She's perfectly fine but I've never thought of her as a strong actress so makes me wonder what someone else would have been like.

Rupert friend and Michelle dockery are great

Spilttea

VIP Member
Just finished and can’t believe that despite being well made, the two female leads especially the barrister left me cold. Saw the twist coming a mile off. Predictable, heavy on the messaging and unlikeable leads all round.

• Sad
  • Wow

Blahblahahaaa77

VIP Member
I hated how fake the House of Commons set was 😂. Surely, if you can afford Sienna Miller you could make it look at least a little bit realistic 😂

Reactions: 3

Yel

Chatty Member
The book comes into the charity shop I volunteer in almost as frequently as Dan Brown ones.
I can see it working as a travel read picked up in WHsmiths airport buy one get one half price. But even if you loved it you most want it taking up space at home.

I can see why lots would enjoy it (especially if it backed up their political persuasion) but it seems so lazy of netflix to always acquire these book rights even if they don't adapt well to a tv show.

Reactions: 3