Amanda Palmer

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But the last few years she seems to have become more and more...how can I say...grifty? I wonder if Gaiman initially saw her as a younger, oh so arty, quirky second wife and as her career has faded the shine has worn off.
She's been a balls-out grifter since that appalling 'Art of Asking' book (or whatever it was called). Then having a Patreon and acting La Starving Artiste despite being married to a bleeping millionaire. She's an example of making a very little talent go a very long way with an immense amount of self belief and confidence, tbqh. She cannot sing and in the end, became little more than a wandering noisy cult of personality with the aforementioned dodgy self-help type book. Spare me the tales of lift hitching and fan floor sleeping when your husband is minted and now so are you.

As for quirky second wife, the moment Gaiman got with her I thought, haha, you found yourself a 15 years younger Poundland Tori Amos since the original you liked so much wasn't free. He's looked like a bleeping bag lady midlife crisis wanker ever since he's been with her. Clearly has a boner for eccentric artist women anyway.

Apparently they both slept around as part of their open relationship then had the combined balls to get butthurt about each other or whatever. Pretty immature for a pair of middle aged and above people. He's 60 now and has probably given up and decided to stick around for the kid. Typical older divorced dude with much younger wife and very young child. The classic 'do over family' because you fucked up with the first one. At least Scientology isn't involved this time. Maybe.

I find Gaiman's 'nice' image increasingly likely to be a typical smokescreen for not being quite as nice as you'd want. I always wondered if like Palmer, he shagged fans. Note most of Neil's uberfans are women on the younger side. With a dose of the kind of quirky he obviously finds attractive.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
I had a friend I went to school with that when we were 18/19 somehow up sticks and went to live with her in America to be some kind of glorified groupie/hanger on under the premise of making โ€˜artโ€™ ๐Ÿคฃ donโ€™t know what happened but he was back a couple of years later.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
OooooOooft! The thread I needed!

Things that piss me off about Amanda Palmer:

- that one time she tried to "hire" backing musicians for her tour, but for free / beer money. Proper classical musicians like, not your mate with a set of bongos
She cemented her status as a c*nt with that.

F*ck her.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
She's been a balls-out grifter since that appalling 'Art of Asking' book (or whatever it was called). Then having a Patreon and acting La Starving Artiste despite being married to a bleeping millionaire. She's an example of making a very little talent go a very long way with an immense amount of self belief and confidence, tbqh. She cannot sing and in the end, became little more than a wandering noisy cult of personality with the aforementioned dodgy self-help type book. Spare me the tales of lift hitching and fan floor sleeping when your husband is minted and now so are you.

As for quirky second wife, the moment Gaiman got with her I thought, haha, you found yourself a 15 years younger Poundland Tori Amos since the original you liked so much wasn't free. He's looked like a bleeping bag lady midlife crisis wanker ever since he's been with her. Clearly has a boner for eccentric artist women anyway.

Apparently they both slept around as part of their open relationship then had the combined balls to get butthurt about each other or whatever. Pretty immature for a pair of middle aged and above people. He's 60 now and has probably given up and decided to stick around for the kid. Typical older divorced dude with much younger wife and very young child. The classic 'do over family' because you fucked up with the first one. At least Scientology isn't involved this time. Maybe.

I find Gaiman's 'nice' image increasingly likely to be a typical smokescreen for not being quite as nice as you'd want. I always wondered if like Palmer, he shagged fans. Note most of Neil's uberfans are women on the younger side. With a dose of the kind of quirky he obviously finds attractive.
'Poundland Tori Amos' ๐Ÿ˜‚

Bravo ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 15

All of this, so much!! Poundland Tori Amos ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

What I really dislike about them is how they've roped their son into the publicity of their circus of a life. I've seen posts by Amanda that imply she's such a thoughtful, respectful mother... Well not really if you put his name, face etc all over SM. She sees him as an accessory, not a person. Though I was pleasantly surprised she didn't give him a ridiculous name to showcase how artsy she is (that gave me hope she might not put him all over the Internet like an accessory, but I was wrong).

(edit - spelling)

Her son's full name is Anthony David Karl Palmer Gaiman. Anthony after her late best friend, mentioned in a post above, David after Neil's father, who died some years ago, and Karl after her brother/step-brother who died young. I read somewhere that she didn't like Ant or Tony for short so they settled on Ash.

Reactions: 3
An interview in which Amanda Palmer talks about her favourite subjects - Herself and her "art".

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
Is there a thread about Neil Gaiman on this site, please? I've tried looking, but to no avail.

Reactions: 2
She's been posting to Instagram about how happy they are in New Zealand. He's also been saying they're happy. Personally, I think he looks resigned to his fate. This newfound peace might last, until the next argument. I'm not trying to be negative, but I just truly don't see them lasting for the rest of their lives. He's going to be away from them for six months filming Good Omens 2, and that's not good for a relationship they're still trying to heal.

Reactions: 5
a few years ago a girl i worked with grifted thousands of pounds from friends by asking for them to donate a few pounds instead of buying her a coffee when they saw her (as if they would?!) so that she could go to a wedding in australia. she was a massive amanda palmer fan and that was what inspired her to do it, like she genuinely thought that was an ok thing to do because of her? at the time people were donating to it without questioning and i was wondering whether i was just a total hole for thinking it was cheeky AF.

itโ€™s just totally normalised now thanks to these absolute chancers ๐Ÿ™„

• Wow
Reactions: 20
I find it strange that both AFP and NG insist they're together. He says it more than she does. But, she went to a yoga retreat for a few weeks and was away for their wedding anniversary on the 1st of January. I'm regarded as eccentric, but even I spend my anniversary with my partner. Just comes off the wrong way, to me. And he mentioned doing a majority of the parenting since he got back to New Zealand last year, as if there's some kind of rota, not just a couple raising their child. I might be very wrong, but I think they've split/remained separated and are living together/putting on a brave face for their son. Wouldn't surprise me if they split officially when they finally get back to America.

Reactions: 6
She just reminds me of Lyndsey Way from Mindless Self Indulgence and Emilie Autumn with this whole struggling artist thing. I donโ€™t know, they all annoy me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
Her latest, beg on toast post

Dear Everyone...

Below is a link to "ENJOY THE SILENCE": the Depeche Mode cover I recorded exactly one week ago, when I went into Roundhead Studios in Auckland (fun fact, created by Neil Finn of Crowded House!) for two full days of studio time with no planned agenda.

I had a professional film crew webcast my studio process for over 10 hours, while my patrons watched, chatted, joked and discussed with me. At one point they voted - fair and square - on a cover song they wanted to hear: the winner was "Enjoy the Silence"....a song that's near and dear to my tired old goth heart.

Over the course of the two days, my patrons hung out with me in the studio via the webcast while I picked the key, made tempo choices, arranged the piano, explained my thinking and choices, recorded the tracks, went into a vocal booth, decided on overdubs and effects...everything. It was a masterclass in how to create a cover song, and it was SO FUN...I had the best two days of my life in a long time. We all felt...together. The studio crew were incredible and worked really hard to do several jobs at once: put on a webcast show and record a song simultaneously.

My patrons helped me work; we all kept each other company all over the world. People woke up and went to bed and kissed each other good night and good morning. We celebrated a birthday, everybody heard me pee by accident at one point, we had two special guests come into the studio (Neil Gaiman and Reb Fountain).

Two days after we finished, I sent the final mix over to Jherek Bischoff to master and he added a few extra heart-crushing strings, recorded in his house in LA. The result is this almost-too-beautiful-for-words (see what I did there) recording.

You can listen to it, read the entire story, see all the photos, and access all the webcast links through the ink below. The song will play right off the patron post, and there's also a soundcloud link, where you can download it.

For now, you need to be a patron to listen.

Why? Because patronage is what paid for this all to happen. In the old system - when I was on a major label - there is no way that this kind of "work" could make a profit. There was no avenue through which to "monetize" this kind of fast and connected creativity. On the contrary: I used to pay my own money out of pocket to do hi-jinks like this, and just consider myself lucky that I earned enough money on the road to support my "weird project" habit. Now I can do weird projects and get PAID.

This song will probably not be going up on Spotify, as I'm currently in the middle of figuring out what to do with my music over there given the current tussle over there.

I'll likely put it on Bandcamp when I have the time to do some hollering about it on the Internetz. It's a really good cover, it moves me, I know it's good. So it's worth my time and attention, and I don't have that now...I'm on my own with my kid for the next few days.

My friends: I will crawl out of my hole and remind you every once in a while: I'm a working musician, it's a strange way to earn a living, and there are costs.

This is my JOB. I know it sounds weird, but it is.

I have to earn. I can make these magical sounds, but the money to pay for the recording studio, the film crew, the engineers, the mastering, the piano tuning, my house rent, my food, my office rent in New York, my assistant Micahel's salary and insurance costs...it does not happen by goddamn magic. Beyond patronage, I do not have another major source of income right now, especially with Covid and no touring happening. You know how I wrote a bestselling book back in 2014? That doesn't mean anything at the moment. I do not get a check. I GOT that check already.

The music and the art happens because people want me to put it into the world, and some are willing to give me a salary so that I can work. Those people are my patrons. Their collective dollars cover my ability to live and work.

It really is that basic. It's REAL.

If you want to become a patron right now, I'd love it. I had about 15,000 patrons at the start of the pandemic, and that's dwindled down to around 12,000. That trend isn't uncommon right now: the pandemic has led to a lot of belt-tightening for all people who use crowdfunding. I am still fine. I will not starve, I've cut costs, I'm in a very safe zone.

But I know there are people out there who love my work who maybe haven't considered giving me $1 a month in order to keep me in my job and safe zone.

I'm so: I'm asking. And you'll get to hear this beautiful song and get access to the 10+ hours of studio footage. Yes, it's a sales pitch. Yes, I am not above that. I'm Amanda Palmer. Have you forgotten?

If you can't afford it? Don't do it. Don't struggle. It's more than okay. The beautiful thing about patronage is that almost nothing STAYS behind the paywall for very long.

I'll put the song out to the public sometime soon - on Bandcamp - and I may even ask my patrons if they think cutting together a little youtube clip (30, 40 minutes?) of the best-of-the-studio-process footage is a good use of funds. That will go out free to everyone, probably on Vimeo and Youtube, funded by the patrons. Everybody wins. I know there are a lot of people out there who want the art but who cannot afford to pay me for it. That's fine. It all comes around.

I said it before and I'll say it once more: it costs as little as a dollar a month to be a patron.

If you are wondering What You Can Do in the face of the Spotifys, you can do THIS.

This. You can support an artist directly and pay her for her hard work, and feel the pleasure in knowing that 99% of your money isn't going into the pocket of some creepy middleman. It feels nice, trust me.

Enjoy the Music.

And to my readers here who are already patrons...thank you. You know it means the world to me to have your support, financial and emotional and otherwise. Thank you for being my art family, and thank you helping me make this. I love you all to bits.

Here it is, folks:

x AFP

• Angry
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 12

Dear Everyone...

Below is a link to "ENJOY THE SILENCE": the Depeche Mode cover I recorded exactly one week ago, when I went into Roundhead Studios in Auckland (fun fact, created by Neil Finn of Crowded House!) for two full days of studio time with no planned agenda.

I had a professional film crew webcast my studio process for over 10 hours, while my patrons watched, chatted, joked and discussed with me. At one point they voted - fair and square - on a cover song they wanted to hear: the winner was "Enjoy the Silence"....a song that's near and dear to my tired old goth heart.

Over the course of the two days, my patrons hung out with me in the studio via the webcast while I picked the key, made tempo choices, arranged the piano, explained my thinking and choices, recorded the tracks, went into a vocal booth, decided on overdubs and effects...everything. It was a masterclass in how to create a cover song, and it was SO FUN...I had the best two days of my life in a long time. We all felt...together. The studio crew were incredible and worked really hard to do several jobs at once: put on a webcast show and record a song simultaneously.

My patrons helped me work; we all kept each other company all over the world. People woke up and went to bed and kissed each other good night and good morning. We celebrated a birthday, everybody heard me pee by accident at one point, we had two special guests come into the studio (Neil Gaiman and Reb Fountain).

Two days after we finished, I sent the final mix over to Jherek Bischoff to master and he added a few extra heart-crushing strings, recorded in his house in LA. The result is this almost-too-beautiful-for-words (see what I did there) recording.

You can listen to it, read the entire story, see all the photos, and access all the webcast links through the ink below. The song will play right off the patron post, and there's also a soundcloud link, where you can download it.

Why? Because patronage is what paid for this all to happen. In the old system - when I was on a major label - there is no way that this kind of "work" could make a profit. There was no avenue through which to "monetize" this kind of fast and connected creativity. On the contrary: I used to pay my own money out of pocket to do hi-jinks like this, and just consider myself lucky that I earned enough money on the road to support my "weird project" habit. Now I can do weird projects and get PAID.

This song will probably not be going up on Spotify, as I'm currently in the middle of figuring out what to do with my music over there given the current tussle over there.

I'll likely put it on Bandcamp when I have the time to do some hollering about it on the Internetz. It's a really good cover, it moves me, I know it's good. So it's worth my time and attention, and I don't have that now...I'm on my own with my kid for the next few days.

My friends: I will crawl out of my hole and remind you every once in a while: I'm a working musician, it's a strange way to earn a living, and there are costs.

I have to earn. I can make these magical sounds, but the money to pay for the recording studio, the film crew, the engineers, the mastering, the piano tuning, my house rent, my food, my office rent in New York, my assistant Micahel's salary and insurance costs...it does not happen by goddamn magic. Beyond patronage, I do not have another major source of income right now, especially with Covid and no touring happening. You know how I wrote a bestselling book back in 2014? That doesn't mean anything at the moment. I do not get a check. I GOT that check already.

The music and the art happens because people want me to put it into the world, and some are willing to give me a salary so that I can work. Those people are my patrons. Their collective dollars cover my ability to live and work.

If you want to become a patron right now, I'd love it. I had about 15,000 patrons at the start of the pandemic, and that's dwindled down to around 12,000. That trend isn't uncommon right now: the pandemic has led to a lot of belt-tightening for all people who use crowdfunding. I am still fine. I will not starve, I've cut costs, I'm in a very safe zone.

But I know there are people out there who love my work who maybe haven't considered giving me $1 a month in order to keep me in my job and safe zone.

I'm so: I'm asking. And you'll get to hear this beautiful song and get access to the 10+ hours of studio footage. Yes, it's a sales pitch. Yes, I am not above that. I'm Amanda Palmer. Have you forgotten?

If you can't afford it? Don't do it. Don't struggle. It's more than okay. The beautiful thing about patronage is that almost nothing STAYS behind the paywall for very long.

I'll put the song out to the public sometime soon - on Bandcamp - and I may even ask my patrons if they think cutting together a little youtube clip (30, 40 minutes?) of the best-of-the-studio-process footage is a good use of funds. That will go out free to everyone, probably on Vimeo and Youtube, funded by the patrons. Everybody wins. I know there are a lot of people out there who want the art but who cannot afford to pay me for it. That's fine. It all comes around.

I said it before and I'll say it once more: it costs as little as a dollar a month to be a patron.

If you are wondering What You Can Do in the face of the Spotifys, you can do THIS.

This. You can support an artist directly and pay her for her hard work, and feel the pleasure in knowing that 99% of your money isn't going into the pocket of some creepy middleman. It feels nice, trust me.

Enjoy the Music.

And to my readers here who are already patrons...thank you. You know it means the world to me to have your support, financial and emotional and otherwise. Thank you for being my art family, and thank you helping me make this. I love you all to bits.

Here it is, folks:

x AFP
I hate it when some types a long essay like this and adds CAPITALS to words to EMPHASISE things. It makes them look like a dick.

Reactions: 5
โ€˜I can make these magical soundsโ€™ ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ (translation: you can badly cover Depeche mode)

• Haha
Reactions: 11

Dear Everyone...

Enjoy the Music.

Here it is, folks:

x AFP
Amazing how in one post she can say "I will not starve" AND reveal that she's making at least 12.000$ a month (probably a lot more, that figure assumes everyone is paying the minimum tier).

Damn right you're not going to starve on that!

Reactions: 11
Amazing how in one post she can say "I will not starve" AND reveal that she's making at least 12.000$ a month (probably a lot more, that figure assumes everyone is paying the minimum tier).

Damn right you're not going to starve on that!
But she has to pay her ASSISTANT, and the rent on two properties, dontcha know?

• Haha
  • Angry