Amanda Palmer

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think like pretty much any bloke with a younger-slanting female fanbase, a lot of whom likely match his exact preference (gothy, quirky, artistic types) he's like, to quote Big Male Feminist and Inevitable Pervert Joss Whedon, 'a kid in a candy store'. Like the person above who thought he probably has at some point shagged fans, I can't imagine he hasn't at some point. It's just so drearily predictable at this point. And the 'We have an open marriage' thing with him and Palmer made me veer closer to believing that's likely the case. I doubt he's having affairs with his age-group peers, you know, when he likely has a line of Aspiring Young Cute Female Writers who swoon over him.
Did you see all the stuff about Warren Ellis (the comics writer, not the member of Nick Cave's band) a couple of years back. He went silent for a bit but is back now, totally brazened it out.

The website the women made is quite something - https://www.somanyofus.com/

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I know we are way off AP right now, but Joss Whedon being a creep and ruining Firefly (I know Inara’s whole backstory is problematic) is unforgivable for me. I loved Captain Mal and hope beyond hope Nathan Fillion is not also a creep.

Reactions: 7
I know we are way off AP right now, but Joss Whedon being a creep and ruining Firefly (I know Inara’s whole backstory is problematic) is unforgivable for me. I loved Captain Mal and hope beyond hope Nathan Fillion is not also a creep.
Did he ruin it? I thought it got cancelled...

Have you watched Resident Alien? It's my favourite series for ages - so funny and touching. It stars Alan Tudyk (as a shapeshifting alien who has crashed in a small town in Colorado) and Nathan Fillion has a guest role in series 2.

Reactions: 4
Did you see all the stuff about Warren Ellis (the comics writer, not the member of Nick Cave's band) a couple of years back. He went silent for a bit but is back now, totally brazened it out.

The website the women made is quite something - https://www.somanyofus.com/
Yes, I mentioned it in my post! I remember following Ellis on Livejournal way back in the day after reading some of his stuff, looking at his little vb forum, and realising it was a sad cult of personality with a host of very specific-looking female orbiters (thin, miniskirt, corsety tit, and most particularly goggles worn on top of coloured hair) trying to emulate some particular image and attitude within his work that he would deign to respond to. It was no surprise to me there was transactional tit going on there.

Then in retrospect, you see it in his biggest work - Transmetropolitan - the lunatic egotistical alcoholic, drug addled writer alter ego Spider Jerusalem with the two young female 'filthy assistants'. One of whom said alter ego Spider accidentally, oh no, shags after an epic binge. Hhahaha. It's always a moment when you realise how much some writers insert themselves brazenly into their work.
---
Haven't heard anything bad about Fillion at all. I loved Firefly too and think it has aged pretty well. In retrospect you see the 'crazy waif who can inexplicably beat up huge men' trope Whedon made his entire career on with Buffy in River, who despite all this is a good, interesting character. He resurrected River again in a lesser, unintersting bit equally teeny-waify character in Dollhouse. He has his type, and his type is teenage-looking. Inara isn't his fantasy, it's always the little waif who can end you cos she has Special Powers. Dollhouse epitomized his whole desired female aesthetic with the tiny, bony, zonked out girls in their braless little strappy tops with the only average sized one being sort of talked down to and dressed all frumpy and admitting she isn't 'the gold standard'. And he had his affair partner Eliza Dushku in there playing the special-ist waif of all, Echo! The one with POWERS. Jesus. Talk about wearing out your one idea.

Whedon has done some great genre telly (and some horrible movie and comics writing), but he lets his sexual fixations bleed into everything, and tried to cover it up with a big LOOK AT ME I AM THE BIGGIST FEMINIST )crap with that 'Feminism Now!' thing that he - and people didn't like it when it was pointed out at the time - he made all about Joss Whedon and how cool he is for supporting women.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I’ve heard Nathan fillion is a good egg and definitely worth a follow on insta.

Reactions: 4
I’ve heard Nathan fillion is a good egg and definitely worth a follow on insta.
There were blinds about him and Katie Stanic having major issues on Castle but all blinds should be taken with a pinch of salt I guess

Reactions: 1
There were blinds about him and Katie Stanic having major issues on Castle but all blinds should be taken with a pinch of salt I guess

I read this and came to the conclusion that Katic is a pain in the arse 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Back to AP I didn’t realise she was in Scientology. And I wonder if his kids still are if his first wife and family is still in and he hasn’t been labeled and SP. I do find Scientology fascinating and horrifying - several great docs and now Leah Remini giving the insiders view is very interesting as to how it works. It’s still massively powerful and rich, I’m not sure what the next step is though once Miscavige dies. Tom cruise takes over?

Reactions: 8

The only intel I have on that is that they just got supremely fed up with always being together during an insane work schedule. Could have led to a bust up I guess but I don't know if I'd buy them hating each other from the outset.

Reactions: 3
Yes, I mentioned it in my post! I remember following Ellis on Livejournal way back in the day after reading some of his stuff, looking at his little vb forum, and realising it was a sad cult of personality with a host of very specific-looking female orbiters (thin, miniskirt, corsety tit, and most particularly goggles worn on top of coloured hair) trying to emulate some particular image and attitude within his work that he would deign to respond to. It was no surprise to me there was transactional tit going on there.

Then in retrospect, you see it in his biggest work - Transmetropolitan - the lunatic egotistical alcoholic, drug addled writer alter ego Spider Jerusalem with the two young female 'filthy assistants'. One of whom said alter ego Spider accidentally, oh no, shags after an epic binge. Hhahaha. It's always a moment when you realise how much some writers insert themselves brazenly into their work.
---

Haven't heard anything bad about Fillion at all. I loved Firefly too and think it has aged pretty well. In retrospect you see the 'crazy waif who can inexplicably beat up huge men' trope Whedon made his entire career on with Buffy in River, who despite all this is a good, interesting character. He resurrected River again in a lesser, unintersting bit equally teeny-waify character in Dollhouse. He has his type, and his type is teenage-looking. Inara isn't his fantasy, it's always the little waif who can end you cos she has Special Powers. Dollhouse epitomized his whole desired female aesthetic with the tiny, bony, zonked out girls in their braless little strappy tops with the only average sized one being sort of talked down to and dressed all frumpy and admitting she isn't 'the gold standard'. And he had his affair partner Eliza Dushku in there playing the special-ist waif of all, Echo! The one with POWERS. Jesus. Talk about wearing out your one idea.

Whedon has done some great genre telly (and some horrible movie and comics writing), but he lets his sexual fixations bleed into everything, and tried to cover it up with a big LOOK AT ME I AM THE BIGGIST FEMINIST )crap with that 'Feminism Now!' thing that he - and people didn't like it when it was pointed out at the time - he made all about Joss Whedon and how cool he is for supporting women.
I liked Inara as a character in a lot of ways. She was independent and confident and interesting. River Tam by contrast I found deathly boring 😆

Reactions: 2
I just saw something about Kaiser Chiefs on Facebook and it twigged something in my memory. Amanda used to date Ricky Wilson. The song 'Leeds United' was inspired by a football shirt he gifted her. I wonder if she would have been happier/less annoying if that relationship had worked out. I can't see Ricky being excited by Sixth-form college levels of artistic understanding and creativity. Maybe she would have made more music like her first 2 albums. Maybe she would have been a judge on the voice lol

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
She's back in New Zealand right now, with their son. Neil Gaiman is in Australia, playing gigs with a band.

I hope his 'singing' has improved since that 'evening with' album they did.

Amanda has been doing some promo for a new EP of ' New Zealand survival songs'. I always thought that they split early into covid lockdown, but some of the things she has been saying about the EP seem to suggest that they split just before it started? But I am sure they were acting like they were happily playing house in an Airb&b until they weren't.

Maybe they split and tried to give it another go before it all fell apart fully? Who knows?

One thing that I can never let go of when it comes to her, she wants us all to know she was having such a depressed sad time in New Zealand, a country that quickly and tightly closed its boarders allowing its citizens to spend much less time in lockdown and restrictions that other place. She practically had a normal life compared to most

However, she is still not as a big a Bellend as Neil ' fell out with my wife so abandoned my child on the other side of the world not knowing when I would be allowed back on the country' Gaiman.

No matter what he does or says or creates, I can't go back to seeing him as a harmless quirky writer man.

Reactions: 15
I hope his 'singing' has improved since that 'evening with' album they did.

Amanda has been doing some promo for a new EP of ' New Zealand survival songs'. I always thought that they split early into covid lockdown, but some of the things she has been saying about the EP seem to suggest that they split just before it started? But I am sure they were acting like they were happily playing house in an Airb&b until they weren't.

Maybe they split and tried to give it another go before it all fell apart fully? Who knows?

One thing that I can never let go of when it comes to her, she wants us all to know she was having such a depressed sad time in New Zealand, a country that quickly and tightly closed its boarders allowing its citizens to spend much less time in lockdown and restrictions that other place. She practically had a normal life compared to most

However, she is still not as a big a Bellend as Neil ' fell out with my wife so abandoned my child on the other side of the world not knowing when I would be allowed back on the country' Gaiman.

No matter what he does or says or creates, I can't go back to seeing him as a harmless quirky writer man.
Neil Gaiman's fans forgave him for that fairly quickly, even though they'd lose their minds altogether if a writer they *didn't* like did it. It was unforgiveable though - for his child as well as everyone who made sacrifices and everyone in Skye who didn't need people bringing Covid to them.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I think they split just before the lockdowns started, tried living together, rowed too much, he fled and then spent nine months trying to get back into NZ again. Maybe they realised that pretending to be together so he'd be let back in again to be with his son was a good idea.

Reactions: 9
Over on Facebook Amanda has just posted it being her 48th birthday. She says she that as a gift she wants her fans to honour her work by becoming a patreon. She has has 18,000 now and she really really wants 20,000. You can sign up for free, or even for as little as 1 dollar....

So effectively she wants $2000 dollars extra income a month for her birthday. 😆

Whilst I am resurrecting the thread, just thought I would mention something that I think of from time to time.

Amanda is not alone in doing this, but I feel that sometimes artists/writers will keep picking away at traumatic events in their life as fuel for art, instead of moving on and finding peace. It can produce brilliant material, but I don't know how good it is for someone to have to keep going on stage and rehashing their drama/personal struggles/trauma for material.

There will be healthy ways to do it, but I get the impression from her posts that she is regularly crying on stage over what she is singing or what someone has said and I just don't feel like that is a good way to live.

Regardless of all this, I am still hopeful for new Dresden Dolls music coming at some point. I want to hear a return to her old spirit, rather than the sad meandering over long songs she did on her last album

Reactions: 7