Ali Abdaal

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What is your legitmitate complaint with Ali?
His vids are well produced and taught me a great deal about money and productivity
Sure, he contributes to toxic productivity but living under capitalism, we have no choice but to partake in hustle culture to survive unless we have rich families to fall back on
You claim Ali is privileged but he comes from a single-parent family
Granted, his mum is a doctor, but his family's finances are about half as much as a family with 2 doctors, or 2 working professional parents

Also, Ali has done videos on effective altruism but not many people cared enough to watch it, which reflects badly on his viewership/wider society
Sure Ali could dedicate his life to charity and give away all his money to charity but nobody, including you would/do
You are using tattle life right now, which makes you more privileged than all the 3rd world people who can't even eat or the refugees fleeing ukraine
But are you spending all your money/time/energy on these people?
Are you giving away all your money to charities and poor people?
If you are not doing so, don't expect Ali to. He is not a moral role-model, so don't hold him up to these standards.
If you want a moral role-model, start watching Malala Yousafzi, not Ali the productivity/money guru ffs

His vids are well produced and taught me a great deal about money and productivity
Sure, he contributes to toxic productivity but living under capitalism, we have no choice but to partake in hustle culture to survive unless we have rich families to fall back on
Granted, his mum is a doctor, but his family's finances are about half as much as a family with 2 doctors, or 2 working professional parents

Also, Ali has done videos on effective altruism but not many people cared enough to watch it, which reflects badly on his viewership/wider society
Sure Ali could dedicate his life to charity and give away all his money to charity but nobody, including you would/do
You are using tattle life right now, which makes you more privileged than all the 3rd world people who can't even eat or the refugees fleeing ukraine
If you are not doing so, don't expect Ali to. He is not a moral role-model, so don't hold him up to these standards.
If you want a moral role-model, start watching Malala Yousafzi, not Ali the productivity/money guru ffs
Okay, let me work through this real quick.

Very fair, I agree that his videos are occasionally useful.

Completely incorrect. Toxic productivity actively hurts people, and actually reduces your ability to 'survive' as you put it - if you're putting 110% of your effort into studying/working/etc. and leaving nothing for yourself, you're far more likely to burn out and hurt yourself. Also, we don't have to partake in hustle culture. I've managed two degrees and several part time jobs without hustle culture or toxic productivity, for example.
There are many careers where hustle culture is pushed and can often be the only way to get into it, eg. law, business etc. But this doesn't mean Ali should be advocating for this. There are many great influencers who speak out on hustle culture and toxic productivity, I would encourage you to look at Tiffany Ferg, for example.

If you want to learn more about toxic productivity and why Ali shouldn't be contributing, check this blog post out:

Privilege comes in many forms. He's a man, his mum is well-off, he comes from an affluent background. Many of these factors have helped him get where he is today. He went to a grammar school and got into Cambridge for medicine, that is insanely privileged compared to the majority of people in the UK. You can experience privilege in many ways whilst also having ways in which you are not privileged.

This feels like a non-argument. You could put this argument on anyone with a single parent. I'm sure his mum has not had an easy life, but doctors do earn a lot of money and I'm sure this helped him a lot. From a quick google search, his dad is actually a businessman, so that's something to consider too.

Huh, does it? People follow him for money and study-related content, not altruism. I don't think that means anything bad for wider society, or even his viewership - they just probably choose to get their content on how to be a better person from... well, better people.

Effective altruism also means giving your money away to causes and charities, which in itself is incredibly privileged. Imagine having the money to be able to give so much away each month, and still live comfortably. I have never experienced that. The fact that Ali does is admirable, but I just watched his video on it and... Well, it does come across as him trying to persuade his audience to give away money they probably don't have. Creating study content means that a significant portion of his viewership are students or young adults without money. It doesn't make sense to make a video explaining why he did this except to brag in a 'look i'm so much better than you because i have the time, energy and money to give to others'. Effective altruism is something you can do accurately if you're privileged. It's very hard to do it when you're struggling to make ends meet, you're coping with illness, or you're from a lower income background.

See the point above. This argument is laughable. Google the 'Tu Quoque' fallacy - because that's what you're doing right now. (thanks to the poster in the Unjaded Jade thread who told me what that was called it came in quite useful!)

And you are too? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Surely none of us should be doing anything because we're all more privileged than people in poverty and fleeing war. Ironically, Ali is the person who would be able to make the most difference here, but instead here he is, posting on a gossip forum he's just making toxic productivity content. Privilege is on a spectrum (iffy description but idk how else to explain). Everyone, to some extent, experiences privilege. Nobody is suggesting that we are less privileged than people living in poverty, or refugees fleeing any war or any situation. We are only saying that Ali is very privileged, which is true.

Also, don't use the term 'third world' - this suggests that they're somehow less advanced or developed than we are. Just say poorer countries, or people living in poorer areas of the world. Better explanation here:

Another fallacy. This is just a non-argument.

See above.

I don't think anyone has suggested Ali should be giving away all his money to charities and poor people. Instead, they're saying that he's a privileged, very well-educated man who has fallen out of what made him likeable and into a toxic productivity machine, where he flogs productivity brands, clearly thinks far too highly of himself, almost certainly isn't a feminist, pretends that he's doing lots of good in the world but only really just perpetuates the idea that you have to be Cambridge-educated and spend all your free time working or studying to be successful.

Also, he clearly thinks himself a moral role model, so why shouldn't we hold him to these standards?

Finally, before I sign off, I would just like to point out my favourite argument of any public figure on the internet should be expected to be held to account in some way. Nobody is exempt from criticism, especially not someone like Ali who holds himself in such high regard yet doesn't really do any good.

Anyway, considering you've spent your time thinking up a terrible argument in favour of yourself your role model, and pretty much advocated for contacting someone's family (which is borderline harassment), maybe you should leave this website and go back to jacking off in front of Ali's study tip videos. I don't think this is a good place for you.

• Heart
Reactions: 17

You’ve done this on jack’s thread too, are you one of them? Do you manage them? What is the research you’re doing?

• Haha
Reactions: 14
You’ve done this on jack’s thread too, are you one of them? Do you manage them? What is the research you’re doing?
I just find ali abdaal a better person/youtuber than ruby/holly/grace who all suffer from EDs but have not gotten any help, pretend to be virtuous for attention/money and have not contributed positively to society in any meaningful way

at the very least, ali's money videos have helped me learn and think about money in a better way

but if you are looking for moral exemplars from studytubers, then you will be sorely disappointed...they arent good people, they just want your money/attention and some people like ali do a better job of it

if you want moral exemplars, look at some effective altruism/minimalism/ sustainable/vegan etc. YouTubers instead

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I just find ali abdaal a better person/youtuber than ruby/holly/grace who all suffer from EDs but have not gotten any help, pretend to be virtuous for attention/money and have not contributed positively to society in any meaningful way

at the very least, ali's money videos have helped me learn and think about money in a better way

but if you are looking for moral exemplars from studytubers, then you will be sorely disappointed...they arent good people, they just want your money/attention and some people like ali do a better job of it

if you want moral exemplars, look at some effective altruism/minimalism/ sustainable/vegan etc. YouTubers instead
I'm so glad that you think people who struggle with eating disorders and mental health issues are worse people than men who go to Cambridge and flog terrible study skills/productivity apps and tips. Get out of here and go back to your mum's basement with that bullshit. That's not the reason they're bad people, and even suggesting that is gross.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I'm not suggesting they're bad people bc they have mental disorders etc. Im suggesting they're bad people for telling/showing their impressionable naive audience their mental disorders and not seeking help professionally

I also suggested they are bad people for greenwashing/virtue signalling like Grace Beverly and her greenwashed clothing company, or Ruby/Holly and her veganism

I'm so glad that you think people who struggle with eating disorders and mental health issues are worse people than men who go to Cambridge and flog terrible study skills/productivity apps and tips. Get out of here and go back to your mum's basement with that bullshit. That's not the reason they're bad people, and even suggesting that is gross.
y

when has
Okay, let me work through this real quick.

Very fair, I agree that his videos are occasionally useful.

Completely incorrect. Toxic productivity actively hurts people, and actually reduces your ability to 'survive' as you put it - if you're putting 110% of your effort into studying/working/etc. and leaving nothing for yourself, you're far more likely to burn out and hurt yourself. Also, we don't have to partake in hustle culture. I've managed two degrees and several part time jobs without hustle culture or toxic productivity, for example.
There are many careers where hustle culture is pushed and can often be the only way to get into it, eg. law, business etc. But this doesn't mean Ali should be advocating for this. There are many great influencers who speak out on hustle culture and toxic productivity, I would encourage you to look at Tiffany Ferg, for example.

If you want to learn more about toxic productivity and why Ali shouldn't be contributing, check this blog post out:

Privilege comes in many forms. He's a man, his mum is well-off, he comes from an affluent background. Many of these factors have helped him get where he is today. He went to a grammar school and got into Cambridge for medicine, that is insanely privileged compared to the majority of people in the UK. You can experience privilege in many ways whilst also having ways in which you are not privileged.

This feels like a non-argument. You could put this argument on anyone with a single parent. I'm sure his mum has not had an easy life, but doctors do earn a lot of money and I'm sure this helped him a lot. From a quick google search, his dad is actually a businessman, so that's something to consider too.

Huh, does it? People follow him for money and study-related content, not altruism. I don't think that means anything bad for wider society, or even his viewership - they just probably choose to get their content on how to be a better person from... well, better people.

Effective altruism also means giving your money away to causes and charities, which in itself is incredibly privileged. Imagine having the money to be able to give so much away each month, and still live comfortably. I have never experienced that. The fact that Ali does is admirable, but I just watched his video on it and... Well, it does come across as him trying to persuade his audience to give away money they probably don't have. Creating study content means that a significant portion of his viewership are students or young adults without money. It doesn't make sense to make a video explaining why he did this except to brag in a 'look i'm so much better than you because i have the time, energy and money to give to others'. Effective altruism is something you can do accurately if you're privileged. It's very hard to do it when you're struggling to make ends meet, you're coping with illness, or you're from a lower income background.

See the point above. This argument is laughable. Google the 'Tu Quoque' fallacy - because that's what you're doing right now. (thanks to the poster in the Unjaded Jade thread who told me what that was called it came in quite useful!)

And you are too? I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Surely none of us should be doing anything because we're all more privileged than people in poverty and fleeing war. Ironically, Ali is the person who would be able to make the most difference here, but instead here he is, posting on a gossip forum he's just making toxic productivity content. Privilege is on a spectrum (iffy description but idk how else to explain). Everyone, to some extent, experiences privilege. Nobody is suggesting that we are less privileged than people living in poverty, or refugees fleeing any war or any situation. We are only saying that Ali is very privileged, which is true.

Also, don't use the term 'third world' - this suggests that they're somehow less advanced or developed than we are. Just say poorer countries, or people living in poorer areas of the world. Better explanation here:

Another fallacy. This is just a non-argument.

See above.

I don't think anyone has suggested Ali should be giving away all his money to charities and poor people. Instead, they're saying that he's a privileged, very well-educated man who has fallen out of what made him likeable and into a toxic productivity machine, where he flogs productivity brands, clearly thinks far too highly of himself, almost certainly isn't a feminist, pretends that he's doing lots of good in the world but only really just perpetuates the idea that you have to be Cambridge-educated and spend all your free time working or studying to be successful.

Also, he clearly thinks himself a moral role model, so why shouldn't we hold him to these standards?

Finally, before I sign off, I would just like to point out my favourite argument of any public figure on the internet should be expected to be held to account in some way. Nobody is exempt from criticism, especially not someone like Ali who holds himself in such high regard yet doesn't really do any good.

Anyway, considering you've spent your time thinking up a terrible argument in favour of yourself your role model, and pretty much advocated for contacting someone's family (which is borderline harassment), maybe you should leave this website and go back to jacking off in front of Ali's study tip videos. I don't think this is a good place for you.
When has ali abdaal ever held himself up to be a moral rolemodel?
A productivity/money role model sure, but not a moral one
At least he doesn't pretend to be vegan etc. and claim all his companies are ethical

I just came across this guy through someone else and wtf? So he's a doctor, but his whole Youtube is about making money and how he's a millionaire or whatever? I have no qualms with people being ambitious and wanting to earn a decent living but that seems like a very odd mix of values. What a waste of a medicine degree space.

Reactions: 10
I'm not suggesting they're bad people bc they have mental disorders etc. Im suggesting they're bad people for telling/showing their impressionable naive audience their mental disorders and not seeking help professionally
This feels a little victim-blamey? I'd love for them to get professional help but it's easier said than done. Getting professional help is sometimes the hardest step for someone struggling with a disorder.

Reactions: 6
agree with everything @cheesecakes said and would like to add the following:
so who is to say his dad didn't provide financially? the fact that there's only one parent in the household doesn't mean only one is contributing financially. also "half as much as a family with 2 doctors" is still a lot. like the baseline isn't "family with 2 doctors" the baseline is median household income, which is £31,400 in the UK. His mum very likely makes/made *a lot* more than that.

you quite literally said, and i quote, "I just find ali abdaal a better person [...] than ruby/holly/grace who all suffer from EDs but have not gotten any help"... does kinda sound like you're suggesting they're bad people bc they have mental disorders. also you don't know whether they have gotten help/are getting help. ED recovery isn't easy and it isn't linear. I am not defending this obviously but they might not even realize how much they need help and/or where and how to get it. It's not easy, especially with the added social pressure of such a huge audience. Ali however, who you characterize as mentally healthy (even though you can never tell what someone's mind is actually like but i digress) is essentially telling his young, impressionable audience how to acquire burn out and that it's all their fault if they don't do well (financially). He doesn't seem to care what that might do to them or their mental health. If he's aware of what he's doing, I'd almost say that's worse than someone who's in too deep themselves. Hope that didn't sound too polemic.

nobody wants a moral role-model, just a decent guy - which he just isn't (anymore?).

Also, this dude watches tv in 3x speed because watching normally just isn't ~productive enough~ for him. That's way past any sort of normal productivity tip

Reactions: 5
people in my grammar school mostly went into medicine
they were mostly very self-absorbed and obsessed with grades and had pushy parents
i guarantee u they went into medicine for the stability/money
if they wanted to help others, they wouldn't have went into medicine
they'd have gone to nursing, charity, ngos etc.

I just came across this guy through someone else and wtf? So he's a doctor, but his whole Youtube is about making money and how he's a millionaire or whatever? I have no qualms with people being ambitious and wanting to earn a decent living but that seems like a very odd mix of values. What a waste of a medicine degree space.

people in my grammar school mostly went into medicine
they were mostly very self-absorbed and obsessed with grades and had pushy parents
i guarantee u they went into medicine for the stability/money
if they wanted to help others, they wouldn't have went into medicine
they'd have gone to nursing, charity, ngos etc.
I also went to a grammar school and have a lot of doctor friends and my experience couldn’t be more different 🤷🏻‍♀️ quite sad you have that view of doctors

Reactions: 3
I also went to a grammar school and have a lot of doctor friends and my experience couldn’t be more different 🤷🏻‍♀️ quite sad you have that view of doctors
did ask your friends why they didn't become nurses, ngo workers, charity workers etc. activists etc. instead?
quite a coincidence that most grammar school kids in my school went onto become doctors?
they didn't get into the school bc they were kind, they got into it via 11+, which their parents tutored them/hired tutors for them for
and if their parents care enough about their education to tutor them for 11+, they'd care enough about their kids gaining stable,well-respected employment i.e. doctoring
a great deal of my classmates also became vets, lawyers and bankers
why those careers and not
1. charity workers
2. nurses
3. ngo workers
4. activists
???

• Haha
Reactions: 1
@herathebeaver these comments are extremely weird and shortsighted which makes me question if you went to a grammar at all. I’m a lawyer and I went into the area I practise in because I care about and like working with people. I get to make a genuine and meaningful impact on people’s lives and yes, I’m also compensated well for it. These aren’t mutually exclusive and many of my friends from school wanted to do something that had some human impact as well as a good salary. People who want to be doctors clearly don’t go into it for the money on the whole as frankly there are far more lucrative careers that don’t involve a 5 year degree, a 22.5k starting salary (around the same as a nurse starts on) whilst working gruelling hours with weekends on call. The arrogant, money driven people at my grammar school went into fields like finance and banking, not medicine. And I don’t know why you’ve included charity workers on your bizarre list - big charities are notorious for paying their employees very well at the detriment of the actual causes they support? Unfounded nonsense.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

EpHAEq5W4AEq9IO.png

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Am a doctor, can confirm you are an idiot if you do this job to get rich. 50+ years ago this may have been the case, but things are different now and we are underpaid and overworked. I work 48 hours a week and earn less than a train driver working 35 hours a week. I also have to do huge amounts of unpaid work taking exams, courses, volunteering with teaching and research etc because otherwise I can't progress in my career. But sure, I just wanted an easy way to make money 🤣😂

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Am a doctor, can confirm you are an idiot if you do this job to get rich. 50+ years ago this may have been the case, but things are different now and we are underpaid and overworked. I work 48 hours a week and earn less than a train driver working 35 hours a week. I also have to do huge amounts of unpaid work taking exams, courses, volunteering with teaching and research etc because otherwise I can't progress in my career. But sure, I just wanted an easy way to make money 🤣😂
Preach! As a vet nurse, I can confirm none of the vets I work with got into the job for money and they’re all criminally underpaid for the hours they do - you’re only into decent money if you own the practice. This is such rubbish narrow minded thinking!

Reactions: 10
arrogant, money driven people at my grammar school went into fields like finance and banking, not medicine.
As a doctor myself I have to chuckle at the dichotomy between arrogant, money driven bankers and doctors who are - altruistic and modest? You probably won't be a billionaire in medicine unless you make it a big private business but there are plenty of reasons medicine also attracts some of the arrogant prestige-driven people. And there are a lot of them in my peer work group. Doctors are far from kind saints.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
Hey there Ali!

His old videos are, his new videos are not. They are boring and not produced by him at all, there is no soul to them any more and they are on a boring content production line from his studio.

No we don't? You can be productive and successful without hustle culture and saying people have to participate to get ahead is just making the problem worse.

How do you know this? Do you have Ali's mums bank statements? Ali's mum working as a doctor could also earn far far more than a family where both the parents work in retail.

Well no but I don't earn £27k a week like Ali does. I work 8 hours a day 5 days a week to pay my rent, save a bit and need the weekend to de compress. I wish I could volunteer more to charity but I spend most of my time at work because I don't earn £27k a week like Ali does.

This is just a dishonest argument.

Reactions: 2
Hey there Ali!

His old videos are, his new videos are not. They are boring and not produced by him at all, there is no soul to them any more and they are on a boring content production line from his studio.

No we don't? You can be productive and successful without hustle culture and saying people have to participate to get ahead is just making the problem worse.

How do you know this? Do you have Ali's mums bank statements? Ali's mum working as a doctor could also earn far far more than a family where both the parents work in retail.

Well no but I don't earn £27k a week like Ali does. I work 8 hours a day 5 days a week to pay my rent, save a bit and need the weekend to de compress. I wish I could volunteer more to charity but I spend most of my time at work because I don't earn £27k a week like Ali does.

This is just a dishonest argument.
but are you spending your disposable income on these poor people in poor countries or refugees from ukraine ?
if you arent, how does that make you a better consumer than ali abdaal?

@herathebeaver there are far better role models out there than a Doctor who no longer practices because he can make more money selling overpriced courses to students desperate for success. I imagine it's a bit confronting to discover lots of people don't like someone you look up to. But that's just the reality of things.

Reactions: 9