Ali Abdaal

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
His stationary brand is too expensive.
He has a stationary brand…well, of course he does… I remember from the videos I watched, he did everything with digital planners and apps and was advocating for those as the superior form of planning/studying 🙄

Reactions: 5
I've been a short term lurker on this thread and I think this video explains a lot about this phenomenon and how easy it can be to fall into it.

nathaniel drew is writing a book and ali is helping him (?)

what's up with youtubers and book deals!

Reactions: 2
I kinda want him to do a follow up video regarding these 2021 goals?
I am especially interested in the Wife Quest goal LOL

View attachment 981262

My guess:

Writing a Book ❌
The Wife Quest ❌
Six Pack Abs ❌
Busk on the London Underground ❌
Draw Like a Concept Artist ❓ (IDK about this as he never posted his journey that much)
Become a Better Storyteller ❓ (can't rate him on this one as I do not watch his videos religiously anymore)

I get the polished vibe too but I don't think I will label his life as "balanced."
Dude is obsessed with productivity. In a different way than Ali (he seems to be having a life outside of his work and all), but he is definitely a bit on the obsessive side.

According to me, a good example of well balanced life would be Matt D'avella (at least from the outside).

Not surprised.
Things that Ali said that made me realise he is devoid of emotions like empathy:
1. He told Jade that he doesn't care much about sustainability, since he doesn't get how one person (him) using plastic cups and straws can have a big impact on the environment.
Yeah, Ali, many people think like that and turn a blind eye to the issues. And that's how they get bigger.
2. A couple of years ago he tweeted about settling in Dubai for sometime, and someone asked if he ever thought that he might be paying to a country that treats women and homosexuals like tit. His answer, "honestly, no."
I get it. He doesn't have to go to the activist route, but really? that's your reply to that tweet? how about being a bit more empathetic? how about not replying at all, if you don't know what to say??
3. He thinks he cannot be a feminist because he is a man. He thinks "ally" is a better word.
Ali, a feminist means anyone who supports " the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes "
You thinking like that only solidifies that negative connotation of feminism. You like Harry Potter, right? Here's a quote from Emma Watson - " “If you stand for equality, then you're a feminist." It doesn't matter what gender you are. If you are supportive of women's right, you should label yourself as a feminist.
I have a feeling he refrained from calling himself because of his audience.
I just honestly don't think any feminist (or "ally") would repeatedly say "I intend to have four kids" as easily as if having children was such an effortless task.

Reactions: 4
nathaniel drew is writing a book and ali is helping him (?)

what's up with youtubers and book deals!
Probably a prestige/legitimacy thing.

YouTube is a visual medium and that is what these peoples expertise and craft is. I don’t want to buy a book by a YouTuber I would rather just watch more of their videos.

Reactions: 1
Probably a prestige/legitimacy thing.

YouTube is a visual medium and that is what these peoples expertise and craft is. I don’t want to buy a book by a YouTuber I would rather just watch more of their videos.
Probably all under the same management company. These “collaborations” are more cringy than the content sometimes. Cant really understand who would want to read a book by either of these two. Yes, they probably have made it money wise - but in Ali’s case it’s be rehashing rubbish over and over, and to be honest I think he may have vastly overextended himself with this whole studio in London thing - he had a video recently about expenses and they look massively out of control. The guy spends more on take out than some people earn in a year. Madness. The other guy is similar, but I guess at least he has gone out in the world a bit and gained some life experience. No really sure what either of them have achieved other than gaining internet followers.

Reactions: 5
Probably all under the same management company. These “collaborations” are more cringy than the content sometimes. Cant really understand who would want to read a book by either of these two. Yes, they probably have made it money wise - but in Ali’s case it’s be rehashing rubbish over and over, and to be honest I think he may have vastly overextended himself with this whole studio in London thing - he had a video recently about expenses and they look massively out of control. The guy spends more on take out than some people earn in a year. Madness. The other guy is similar, but I guess at least he has gone out in the world a bit and gained some life experience. No really sure what either of them have achieved other than gaining internet followers.
true.

nathaniel, at least, has some experience with the outside world. he travels, meets new people, actually tries to befriend strangers, and also did some yes theory acts. i do not watch him regularly because his content is, for the lack of a better word, abstract. however, i was pleased when he moved away from the productivity niche and took another path. we have too many of those productivity gurus. wouldn't buy his book though.

ali, on the other hand, sits on his desk and makes numerous videos. i'd rather see him getting out of his comfort zone and seeking some discomfort. that's how you grow. but no, his tendency to stay within his comfort zone also shows his privilege. there is no doubt that he worked hard to become a well-known youtuber, balancing studies, work and business along with it. but that's where it ends. he was relatively privileged before he started.

i do get ali's justification of passive income. especially when covid rolled and many people were furloughed and were strapped for money. but his vision of passive income become the only way and everything else is secondary is what puts me off. when elizabeth once said that 9to5 doesn't always mean a bad thing and many people actually preferred that, he wasn't convinced at all.

Reactions: 4
true.

nathaniel, at least, has some experience with the outside world. he travels, meets new people, actually tries to befriend strangers, and also did some yes theory acts. i do not watch him regularly because his content is, for the lack of a better word, abstract. however, i was pleased when he moved away from the productivity niche and took another path. we have too many of those productivity gurus. wouldn't buy his book though.

ali, on the other hand, sits on his desk and makes numerous videos. i'd rather see him getting out of his comfort zone and seeking some discomfort. that's how you grow. but no, his tendency to stay within his comfort zone also shows his privilege. there is no doubt that he worked hard to become a well-known youtuber, balancing studies, work and business along with it. but that's where it ends. he was relatively privileged before he started.

i do get ali's justification of passive income. especially when covid rolled and many people were furloughed and were strapped for money. but his vision of passive income become the only way and everything else is secondary is what puts me off. when elizabeth once said that 9to5 doesn't always mean a bad thing and many people actually preferred that, he wasn't convinced at all.
Nathaniel drew is a more interesting person than Ali because he forms his own world views based on time living in multiple countries. A book by him might be marginally more interesting but given his video style it would be probably be a chore to read and it would still come across as a privileged gap year type student type person giving you life advice.

Ali as we all know has nothing new to offer. He just regurgitates other peoples ideas, usually the last gurus book he read from. When he has his own idea like make 100 YouTube videos before expecting to get views, or only spend 10% of your time with your partner, they are universally bad.

Passive income is also a problematic idea which I think contributes to a lot of the woes people have with modern capitalism. Not everyone can have a YouTube account making money from ads, or write a course and get money off of that.

Recently saw a video from one of those financially free type people who was telling us how he retired by 24. Of course he had bought a house and was renting it out and using it to leverage the next property. bleeping the housing market over for people who might want to buy themselves.

By supporting people like Ali and the whole passive income movement you're just promoting another deadly form of capitalism.

Yeah good point.

With cost of living going up so much as well Ali has got to really be on point with how he reigns in his business expenses and honestly from what he's paying out on various things it's crazy - but is the trap a lot of young start up founders fall into and I would say it's extra risky for Ali because he's not looking for an "exit" or anything he just wants to build an income stream. He's talking now about making the "Part Time" brand a thing so probably trying to create Part Time Youtuber Part Time Doctor Part Time Gymthelte whatever but I don't think that has the brand value at all to sell to investors. The name of course is strong but it is far too generic to by trademarked or something

Reactions: 3
Seemingly off-topic but has anybody watched the brilliant BBC 2 medical comedy-drama This Is Going To Hurt, watching it has made me curious about what Ali's medical career would have been like if he didn't fall into this cringe-hustle side gig and fake productivity schtick...

Long time ~ periodic ~ lurker here. I actually liked Ali. In fact, I even signed up to SkillShare and watched his Anki tutorials - quite good tbf. But the lines between Ali Abdaal (individual) and Ali Abdaal (the brand) are becoming blurred. The constant spammy, emoji riddled threads - clearly not written by him, but outsourced - are really eroding his authenticity. And I definitely think he is on the spectrum! Do you guys think he's a virgin?

I've also lurked a long time. I'm really worried about Ali's trajectory from innocent productivity guru (well, he hasn't been for years) to fully red pill-social darwinistic asshat with an Elon Musk-shrine. 90% of his videos are about money.

Reactions: 6
Seemingly off-topic but has anybody watched the brilliant BBC 2 medical comedy-drama This Is Going To Hurt, watching it has made me curious about what Ali's medical career would have been like if he didn't fall into this cringe-hustle side gig and fake productivity schtick...
Yeah - made me think about him but mainly think well I can't really blame him for leaving. Fantastic series and the book is so good.

Long time ~ periodic ~ lurker here. I actually liked Ali. In fact, I even signed up to SkillShare and watched his Anki tutorials - quite good tbf. But the lines between Ali Abdaal (individual) and Ali Abdaal (the brand) are becoming blurred. The constant spammy, emoji riddled threads - clearly not written by him, but outsourced - are really eroding his authenticity. And I definitely think he is on the spectrum! Do you guys think he's a virgin?
True but also idk I think the emoji thing is probably his idea but you see him using it everywhere on his notion etc. and also them extremely ugly graphics he uses in his videos.

Not a virgin I don't think though.

I don’t think he’s a virgin - he’s had a girlfriend since last summer, and says he’s been in relationships before.

Girlfriend??! Who? Sheen?
It’s not Sheen, it’s someone whose identity he hasn’t shown. He first posted photos of an anniversary dinner (presumably 6-month anniversary?!) a few months ago, then he started talking more openly, also recently saying he hopes to be married within about a year and that Taimur’s got a girlfriend too.

Definitely on the spectrum.

I think his content has lost a lot of personality since he got a "Team" making it and focusing it around him.

Does it look better? Yeah probably. But we have people like Casey Neistat whose content is frankly far better and more creative in that sphere.

But it's extremely boring and curated and formulaic now. The whole appeal of Ali's channel was that he was a (fairly) normal bloke studying and practising medicine in Cambridge. His trips to London and Dubai giving talks around the world and running a "business" with the stock ukelele/calming music in the background is so boring.

Reactions: 7
I really do wonder what he needs that big of a team for. Twelve people and counting, isn’t that right? I feel like he dug his own grave by outsourcing to that many people when the improvement in quality or production isn’t showing. He used to have much better backgrounds, lighting, and even camera work. He had a video before where I commented that it was like he was manufacturing authenticity because of how wonky the camera work was; it was like he was trying to give a homey vibe or something.

But yeah, even Graham Stephan was confused over why Ali would need the staff he has and why he would need the apps and softwares he uses. Now, Graham isn’t really a good benchmark since that man is frugal to a fault, but it’s saying something since Graham has three channels and a podcast while only having two employees. He even used to struggle to keep the third employee busy.

Ali, I don’t know. He’s trying too hard to be a legit guru, I guess. He’s taking things too by the book with his very impersonal Twitter threads and all since he’s doing that very corporate thing of packaging his videos for other platforms like blogs and Twitter. That works for corpos, but it works less for YouTube personalities who people follow for—you guessed it—their personalities. And I’m hardly assuming any of these because these are from his own advices - like before, he mentioned that one viable job to put yourself out there is to offer services for writing where you’ll reach out to youtubers to turn their videos into blog posts or Twitter threads. It’s fairly logical then to conclude that that’s also what he’s doing and what he’s paying someone from his staff to do.

I guess he’s not putting all his eggs in the YouTube basket. He’s really trying to turn himself into an authority or an enterprise by touching base on different platforms, but he’s just going about it in a very bland and blatant way.

That said, I do enjoy some of Elizabeth’s content. She actually has insightful and thoughtful things to say.
He recently started hanging out with Ben Francis and thinks he is a big business man himself.

How is Ali still writing this book by committee coming up to 2 years on?

Also Ali looks like such a twit just walking around Kings Cross station singing to himself. What a mug.

Last edited: