Ali Abdaal

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
He's in the UK so has to adhere to ASA regulations rather than FTC:

Basically the viewer needs to be able to tell it's an ad before they click on the video to watch (ie. AD needs to be in the title/thumbnail). So many influencers don't do this :rolleyes:

You can report UK influencers here: https://www.asa.org.uk/make-a-complaint.html
Sorry but that seems completely unreasonable. Why would UK youtubers have to basically nuke their channels just cause some random authority decided that when other youtubers don't? What if someone moves abroad and it takes 5 years to get citizenship in that respective country? Would they have to use "#AD" in their thumbnails for 5 years just because their citizenship is UK? Or what if 80% of their audience was US-based? It seems more than reasonable to have disclosure in the description, via the pop-up and spoken within the video. Don't really care that it's "law" in the UK, it's a stupid law. The video isn't an ad, it just contains a 50 second ad that is properly disclosed. You'd have to be an absolute imbecile to not figure out the video contains a sponsorship after it was disclosed in 3 places including via spoken word. The idea is not to present a product/service like you're genuinely using it when in actuality you were paid to do so and it seems absolutely ok to disclose it according to FTC regulations.

Sorry but that seems completely unreasonable. Why would UK youtubers have to basically nuke their channels just cause some random authority decided that when other youtubers don't? What if someone moves abroad and it takes 5 years to get citizenship in that respective country? Would they have to use "#AD" in their thumbnails for 5 years just because their citizenship is UK? Or what if 80% of their audience was US-based? It seems more than reasonable to have disclosure in the description, via the pop-up and spoken within the video. Don't really care that it's "law" in the UK, it's a stupid law. The video isn't an ad, it just contains a 50 second ad that is properly disclosed. You'd have to be an absolute imbecile to not figure out the video contains a sponsorship after it was disclosed in 3 places including via spoken word. The idea is not to present a product/service like you're genuinely using it when in actuality you were paid to do so and it seems absolutely ok to disclose it according to FTC regulations.
You’re entitled to your opinion on the matter.

But those are the rules UK influencers and creators are beholden to, and can be fined for not following.

Reactions: 11
Got nothing to do with being a citizen, it’s where you’re currently working from, just like if you were living in a country you now have to adhere to their laws. Doesn’t matter about where your audience is, it’s where you are. And they shouldn’t be disadvantaged if the AD is the right fit, the ASA developed these guidelines because it was never clear in the UK when it was an AD and when it wasn’t and they’ve charged several influencers as a result now

50 second ad that is properly disclosed. You'd have to be an absolute imbecile to not figure out the video contains a sponsorship after it was disclosed in 3 places including via spoken word……
Umm what about deaf users? Or people with learning difficulties!

Reactions: 7
You’re entitled to your opinion on the matter.

But those are the rules UK influencers and creators are beholden to, and can be fined for not following.
Directly from ASA's website after 10 minutes of digging:

"If the video is largely editorial but includes a section that is advertising, or only some of the products featured are affiliate-linked products, it should be clear immediately before or at the time the advertising starts/the affiliate linked products are featured – either by way of a clear verbal explanation or prominent on-screen text to make clear which parts of the content are advertising."

So not just my opinion.

Got nothing to do with being a citizen, it’s where you’re currently working from, just like if you were living in a country you now have to adhere to their laws. Doesn’t matter about where your audience is, it’s where you are. And they shouldn’t be disadvantaged if the AD is the right fit, the ASA developed these guidelines because it was never clear in the UK when it was an AD and when it wasn’t and they’ve charged several influencers as a result now

50 second ad that is properly disclosed. You'd have to be an absolute imbecile to not figure out the video contains a sponsorship after it was disclosed in 3 places including via spoken word……
Umm what about deaf users? Or people with learning difficulties!
Nope, doesn't apply to the type of content people like Ali make unless the entire video is an ad.

Edit: just read here https://www.asa.org.uk/news/like-comment-and-comply-youtube-and-the-cap-code.html

There's a clear distinction between an influencer post and a vlog that might contain a product placement ad but would stand up on its own without it. So we can all calm down now about reporting and all that. Clearly the ASA doesn't mean all UK youtubers who receive sponsorships for something should label the entire video with "ad". So that's reasonable.

With Kharma's latest video it is unclear whteher the entire video is an ad, or just a section of it is sponsored. Especially with Notability's recent controversial business tactics and the timing of when this came out, it does need to be disclosed before you click on the video.

Reactions: 4
With Kharma's latest video it is unclear whteher the entire video is an ad, or just a section of it is sponsored. Especially with Notability's recent controversial business tactics and the timing of when this came out, it does need to be disclosed before you click on the video.
Kind of a grey area here, there's a clear sign at the beginning that the video is sponsored, he has several popups throughout with it and speaks it. But he doesn't have a dedicated segment where he plugs it. However, the whole video is largely editorial.

Directly from ASA's website after 10 minutes of digging:

"If the video is largely editorial but includes a section that is advertising, or only some of the products featured are affiliate-linked products, it should be clear immediately before or at the time the advertising starts/the affiliate linked products are featured – either by way of a clear verbal explanation or prominent on-screen text to make clear which parts of the content are advertising."

So not just my opinion.

Nope, doesn't apply to the type of content people like Ali make unless the entire video is an ad.

Edit: just read here https://www.asa.org.uk/news/like-comment-and-comply-youtube-and-the-cap-code.html

There's a clear distinction between an influencer post and a vlog that might contain a product placement ad but would stand up on its own without it. So we can all calm down now about reporting and all that. Clearly the ASA doesn't mean all UK youtubers who receive sponsorships for something should label the entire video with "ad". So that's reasonable.
Sure, I was just sharing the ASA guidelines Ali and Kharma Medic are required to follow.

KM probably met the bare minimum requirements. Though It’s not for me to say as I’m not the ASA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Sure, I was just sharing the ASA guidelines Ali and Kharma Medic are required to follow.

KM probably met the bare minimum requirements. Though It’s not for me to say as I’m not the ASA.
Yep, and they seem to be following them. However Lola's been trying to rally people to report Ali all over the thread and clearly he's not in breach as per what it says on the ASA site. I am not defending him, I'm just defending truth and reason. I despise his content and way of approaching things but I'm not gonna pretend he's breaking a law when he isn't.

Yep, and they seem to be following them. However Lola's been trying to rally people to report Ali all over the thread and clearly he's not in breach as per what it says on the ASA site. I am not defending him, I'm just defending truth and reason. I despise his content and way of approaching things but I'm not gonna pretend he's breaking a law when he isn't.
You can @ me next time, what I will say is, report him if you want or don’t, all I’ve had is positive interactions with the ASA about Ali going back ages ago when he was being sly and still is to a certain point. My thoughts are what I think, if you think he hasn’t that’s fine too, the ones who decide are the ASA and the CSA

Reactions: 3
I, like @Lola123, am a proponent of reporting influencers. I do it all the f-ing time. Because they break the rules all the f-ing time. Ali has too, which is why Lola and others have reported him in the past.

'truth and reason' Seriously? You're not defending anything except your own opinion. It differs from ours which is fine. But no need to get haughty about it. This is a gossip forum.

Last edited:
I, like @Lola123, am a proponent of reporting influencers. I do it all the f-ing time. Because they break the rules all the f-ing time. Ali has too, which is why Lola and others have reported him in the past.

'truth and reason' Seriously? You're not defending anything except your own opinion. It differs from ours which is fine. But no need to get haughty about it. This is a gossip forum.
First you have to understand the rules before deciding that someone broke them or forming such a strong opinion about it. As shown by the paragraph posted above, it seems like you hadn't, which is why precisely nothing happened following your reporting and these youtubers are still continuing to advertise in the exact same way. Also these rules are completely arbitrary and decided upon by an organisation that's completely out of touch with common sense. The ASA banned a commercial that was showing a woman caring for her child cause it promotes "gender stereotypes" so excuse me if I don't give a rat's ass about the holy institution of ASA.

Your opinion on them being arbitrary is entirely irrelevant @JohnMasters

Ali (and all other UK based influencers) are beholden to the ASA regulations and rules. That is all I was pointing out by discussing them.

~

Anyway, back to Ali himself. has anyone seen any critical reviews of the YouTuber course? I’ve only come across a few very positive videos made by people hoping to gain some followers from including his name in the title of their video.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
Given that most of the reviews are at under 10k views (there's one with 11k) then I think that speaks for itself.

You're going to have sunk cost fallacy when dropping that amount of money on something anyway, and you also probably won't want to be speaking ill of The Ali himself so people aren't going to say it is bad.

Reactions: 3
Ali is unable to find any substantial content ideas and decided to do summary videos of the books he reads?
Also, judging by the title, he is talking about self-love, right? He did the same thing in another video, where he included the words "love life" in the title and then proceeded to talk about self-love.
Either way, not gonna spend even 1 microsecond watching it.

It is the same crap as usual.

"I listen to 100 podcasts, only 2 are about relationships? Why don't we talk about relationships more instead of just about business and finance?" It's literally one of the main sources of conversation between people in the real world Ali.

Presents a bunch of rules and learnings from the book like going on 2 dates, finding out what type of person you are etc.

Talks in his horrible pseudo-intellectual style like he's written an A-level essay. "Ury argues in her book How To Not Die Alone that this means that."

The book actually seems quite interesting to but once again Ali needs to distill it into "10 learnings" to make a meaningful relationship which is exactly the reason he is not in a relationship. You cannot make a bunch of rules for interactions with the infinite spectrum of dealing with people.

Anyone on this thread or Googling or might want to buy his course. Please don't. His smart idea "The Infinite Content Generator" is clearly just repurposing other peopels content into videos, probably based around books. His niche is self-help books but he probably suggests channel themed books like music etc. He also probably thinks he is incredible smart for figuring this out which is why you should give me £1500 but please do not do that.

"I listen to 100 podcasts, only 2 are about relationships? Why don't we talk about relationships more instead of just about business and finance?" It's literally one of the main sources of conversation between people in the real world Ali.

Presents a bunch of rules and learnings from the book like going on 2 dates, finding out what type of person you are etc.

Talks in his horrible pseudo-intellectual style like he's written an A-level essay. "Ury argues in her book How To Not Die Alone that this means that."

The book actually seems quite interesting to but once again Ali needs to distill it into "10 learnings" to make a meaningful relationship which is exactly the reason he is not in a relationship. You cannot make a bunch of rules for interactions with the infinite spectrum of dealing with people.
You need to remember he has a writing team, which probably means young people accustomed to writing for school essays and tit. Not an excuse, just a reason why his stuff sounds so unnatural. They're not even his words.

Also this book seems really useless, doesn't address anything regarding working on yourself to be a good partner and these 4 tips are just... what?
She's not wrong about some of this stuff but it barely scratches the surface. This is the kind of advice you'd get from your dad when you hit 17 or 18. Really basic stuff, nothing of substance.

Also this author has written some goofy articles about feeding her husband raw broccoli as some weird trust exercise and how you need another significant other. Of course Ali's in love with her because she works at Hinge, which is a corporation that he uses. Seems to just instantly trust anyone who works at a company cause we all know big companies are the most trustworthy entities. Relationship expert at Hinge sounds about as trustworthy as environment expert at Exxon.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
She's not wrong about some of this stuff but it barely scratches the surface. This is the kind of advice you'd get from your dad when you hit 17 or 18. Really basic stuff, nothing of substance.
Makes sense he thinks it's incredibly enlightening given his lack of a father figure.