Ali Abdaal

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
" that tweet doesn't seem that bad" Except the screenshot is literally indication of incel behaviour?
Cis women aren't objects who are obligated or be forced to be with men they don't find attractive,wtf does that has to do with "equal oppurtunity?" or women advocating for treating everyone well in society? It sounds horribly wrong akin to slavery.

Yes you're very much biased over here, in fact I thought in my previous post that you most probably are him hiding behind a fake account.
AFAIK a lot of the tweets from that account are meant to be ironic so it probably wasn't meant seriously, but Ali liking that whilst following those other accounts (the blocked ones in the screenshot on the last page) suggests he may have taken it seriously unless he makes a point of following accounts he doesn't agree with (even so, those seem like unusual accounts to follow as I'm not sure what insight you would get from following them). I'm not sure if he's an incel necessarily but his outlook on relationships doesn't seem healthy from what I've seen.

Reactions: 3
I find this so funny because he’s one of the reasons I got an ipad for uni and his spaced repetition videos were good!
Right! His older content were like a breath of fresh air. Also, they were so helpful, even the ones that helped with the process of getting into Medicine.

Idk, it's dodgy but I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on liking the tweet and reading the books. The tweet doesn't seem that bad, I know a few girls who are like that and it is very hypocritical. That isn't so much an incel thing but a general (still misogynistic) thing that's quite pervasive in our culture.
LMFAOO doesn't seem that bad? That tweet was awful. How are you white knighting on a gossip forum of all places? 😂😂😂 Ali won't shag you mate.

Reactions: 6
Ali wants the best of both worlds. He wants the money from youtube and he wants the respect of a doctor. The funny thing is he seems to have no interest in the role of an actual doctor and sees it based on how many lives he can save, when medicine is also about the quality of someone's life. He views medicine so robotically and voids any kind of emotion, but patients are naturally emotional and need that emotional support from everyone, it's not just the nurses' job. He says he doesn't feel guilty about not working as a doctor during the pandemic which is just heartless - can he not read a room? What about the medical students volunteering at hospitals during the pandemic? They have less training than Ali, but they still helped because they know what's at stake. His reasoning for going back to medicine is bull because if he was being honest, he would really say he doesn't suit medicine but wants the prestige of a doctor. He's obviously more suited to youtube - a tonne of cash and there's no people skills involved. If you watch videos of doctors working in the nhs, you'll see how much of it is dependent on emotional intelligence as well as being book smart. Knowledge will only take you so far - there's plenty of other professions where a lot of studying is involved and emotional intelligence isn't important.

Reactions: 17
Ali wants the best of both worlds. He wants the money from youtube and he wants the respect of a doctor. The funny thing is he seems to have no interest in the role of an actual doctor and sees it based on how many lives he can save, when medicine is also about the quality of someone's life. He views medicine so robotically and voids any kind of emotion, but patients are naturally emotional and need that emotional support from everyone, it's not just the nurses' job. He says he doesn't feel guilty about not working as a doctor during the pandemic which is just heartless - can he not read a room? What about the medical students volunteering at hospitals during the pandemic? They have less training than Ali, but they still helped because they know what's at stake. His reasoning for going back to medicine is bull because if he was being honest, he would really say he doesn't suit medicine but wants the prestige of a doctor. He's obviously more suited to youtube - a tonne of cash and there's no people skills involved. If you watch videos of doctors working in the nhs, you'll see how much of it is dependent on emotional intelligence as well as being book smart. Knowledge will only take you so far - there's plenty of other professions where a lot of studying is involved and emotional intelligence isn't important.
It makes me also think about the admission process to medicine on the unis. Weren't they supossed to check how well people are suited for the actual work as a doctor? Or is it only for the "science" knowledge?

Sorry to say that but Ali is not a good example for Cambridge University.

Reactions: 8
Was the sound different on his medicine video? Like it feels like he tried to make his voice a lot deeper?

• Haha
If he’s so concerned about the number of lives he saves as a doctor and how productive that makes him, why doesn’t he donate blood?
Doesn’t the average donated pint save 3 lives?

It makes me also think about the admission process to medicine on the unis. Weren't they supossed to check how well people are suited for the actual work as a doctor? Or is it only for the "science" knowledge?

Sorry to say that but Ali is not a good example for Cambridge University.
Slight tangent but I saw this on the student room yesterday (detailing the interview process, how applicants with family in medicine have an advantage and how some interviewers are ill-suited to non-science questions) and would recommend reading for more info from someone who has done interviews (or claims to - it's anonymous but seems to line up with what I've heard previously) - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6979622

At undergrad level there's definitely an emphasis on science throughout secondary/post-16 education for medicine as you need strong science GCSEs and biology and chemistry at A-level, less so for GEM as you don't always need a science background but Ali was an undergrad I believe

Reactions: 2
Slight tangent but I saw this on the student room yesterday (detailing the interview process, how applicants with family in medicine have an advantage and how some interviewers are ill-suited to non-science questions) and would recommend reading for more info from someone who has done interviews (or claims to - it's anonymous but seems to line up with what I've heard previously) - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6979622

At undergrad level there's definitely an emphasis on science throughout secondary/post-16 education for medicine as you need strong science GCSEs and biology and chemistry at A-level, less so for GEM as you don't always need a science background but Ali was an undergrad I believe
This is very interesting and I still think there must have been an error with his admission. It's clear now that he is not interested in being a doctor, he just wants the prestige.

On the last Q&A video he again mentions looking for a girlfriend. Damm this is an obsession.

Wow thank you for sharing that. The part of the post that said 'The questions didn't feel at all insightful, other than in identifying absolute psychopaths (the girl who tried to argue Harrold Shipman offered great palliative care. No, really). Medical and privileged families clearly had a huge advantage.' is absolutely shocking.

Reactions: 5
I get the feeling he's fairly typical for a Cambridge medic? They're very focused on academics and the interview process is quite different from what's dicussed in that post. I attended one of his courses for med applications a long time ago and I remember him being asked about applying to Oxbridge - he replied something along the lines of do you just want to be a doctor or do you want to go to an elite medical school? Which I think says it all

omg this infuriates me honestly, interviews are the worst !!!! i know people who would be amazing doctors but because they don't have the right connections they cant shine as well at the interview as those who do
therefore missing out on a place, this is especially common at GEM where places are so so limited so u either have to be a lot older and working in the NHS for years or you have to know someone who will coach you into saying the right things and getting a place

I get the feeling he's fairly typical for a Cambridge medic? They're very focused on academics and the interview process is quite different from what's dicussed in that post. I attended one of his courses for med applications a long time ago and I remember him being asked about applying to Oxbridge - he replied something along the lines of do you just want to be a doctor or do you want to go to an elite medical school? Which I think says it all
What is the point of "elite medical school" when you are no longer a doctor? And your "eliteness" is only your diploma xD. No one cares Ali, now you are just a youtuber who desperately is looking for a girlfriend

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I'm a junior doctor and no one cares what med school you went to, no one ever asks. You don't even put it on job applications! As long as you went to a UK medical school, you're viewed equally because all British med schools are regulated and up to a certain standard. Going for a med school based on prestige is so dumb to me, I chose mine based on the place I thought I'd be happy staying for 5+ years of my life!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
I'm a junior doctor and no one cares what med school you went to, no one ever asks. You don't even put it on job applications! As long as you went to a UK medical school, you're viewed equally because all British med schools are regulated and up to a certain standard. Going for a med school based on prestige is so dumb to me, I chose mine based on the place I thought I'd be happy staying for 5+ years of my life!
I send students to Med School every year, and you're absolutely right.

I think his issue is he needs to be seen as super special, hence he was perfectly happy when he was making content that was 'How I came top of my class at Cambridge'. However, upon becoming an actual doctor - as you say - none of this mattered, and he was judged on his day to day work.

What he misses is the fact that in public service jobs, if you work hard and are good at what you do you become hugely well respected within your professional community. Presumably as he can't measure that, or make a YouTube video about it, he doesn't value it.

Reactions: 12
Just saw Ali uploaded a video a week or so ago about his toxic relationship with productivity. Apparently he only just realised it was toxic. :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Just saw Ali uploaded a video a week or so ago about his toxic relationship with productivity. Apparently he only just realised it was toxic. :oops:
He’s just doing it for the views, because now there’s a popular trend of calling out toxic productivity

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Re: discussion of emotional intelligence above. Didn't Ali say in a video a while back that when he was at school and told his headmaster that he wanted to apply to medicine, he was told he was 'too robotic / not warm enough' and wouldn't pass medicine interviews? I can't remember which video now but I found that interesting.

Re: discussion of emotional intelligence above. Didn't Ali say in a video a while back that when he was at school and told his headmaster that he wanted to apply to medicine, he was told he was 'too robotic / not warm enough' and wouldn't pass medicine interviews? I can't remember which video now but I found that interesting.
Apparently headmaster was right.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
This came up in my reccomended today and I still cannot believe it's real, and he now talks about toxic productivity 😶 prime example

• Haha
This came up in my reccomended today and I still cannot believe it's real, and he now talks about toxic productivity 😶 prime example

iirc he got a lot of backlash (well disagreement) for that video. I think he did a poll later on Twitter and seemed disgruntled that people also voted against his thoughts on this... don’t have a link to hand though