Alcoholism

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My OH had finally reached out for help but he isnt really trying. He sets targets and fails at each one, justifies and excuses drinking.. im so sick of him being useless falling asleep on the sofa the next day, snapping at the kids, leaving me feeling like im alone, the worry of what he'll do when drunk (nothing violent!) .. its just so draining. Its hard to stay, but its hard to leave.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 7
My OH had finally reached out for help but he isnt really trying. He sets targets and fails at each one, justifies and excuses drinking.. im so sick of him being useless falling asleep on the sofa the next day, snapping at the kids, leaving me feeling like im alone, the worry of what he'll do when drunk (nothing violent!) .. its just so draining. Its hard to stay, but its hard to leave.
Sounds like he isn’t really ready for the help at all, he’s just paying lip service to it. Hopefully he’s ready to make the leap properly soon.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
Sounds like he isn’t really ready for the help at all, he’s just paying lip service to it. Hopefully he’s ready to make the leap properly soon.
He isnt, at all. He is still avoiding dealing with what drives him to drink. Before drink, it was something else. Before that, something else. I'm so drained from it. I just don't know what it will take.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
He isnt, at all. He is still avoiding dealing with what drives him to drink. Before drink, it was something else. Before that, something else. I'm so drained from it. I just don't know what it will take.
I really feel for you. This is so draining. People won't break their addiction unless they are motivated to do it. Everyone around them can do all they can but unless the alcoholic wants to stop, it's all a waste of time.

• Sad
Just to say I feel for you. Its an exhausting process to be a part of and unfortunately alcoholics have no regard for how they make us feel.
I was able to break away from my person and cut them off for a while, until they made the right choices and got the help. I know it might not be as easy for you though. Little things used to help me when things were really bad, just anything that took my mind off if even for 10 minutes. Running and watching comedy movies bizarrely, it sort of let me get in a different headspace.
I really hope your person realises soon that they need to address this x

• Heart
Reactions: 6
HI everybody, just checking in and hope you all ok. Husband still sober, going to AA daily. I am going on holiday on Sunday leaving him by himself, so of course i am a little nervous that i am not at home checking on him. But I really do not time away recovering from all the 2021 trauma.
I hope you and the addict in your life recovery and forgiveness.

Love to you all

Reactions: 4
HI everybody, just checking in and hope you all ok. Husband still sober, going to AA daily. I am going on holiday on Sunday leaving him by himself, so of course i am a little nervous that i am not at home checking on him. But I really do not time away recovering from all the 2021 trauma.
I hope you and the addict in your life recovery and forgiveness.

Love to you all
I hope you have a lovely break, and that you’re able to switch off your worries about what’s happening back home.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I think I’m in denial about mine. It sounds so obvious to leave but our relationship is really good.

Hi everyone, it’s been a while so thought I’d check in and see how everyone is getting on.

Reactions: 1
We're both in a much better place. Xmas & NYE was a wake up call, so dry jan helped cut out alcohol. We are getting on better and it has been a massive relief.

• Heart
My husband is still drinking between 350-700ml each week. His first reaction to any stressor is to drink, but it’s obviously just an excuse for him to drink. I don’t really know what to do. I don’t want to leave. An ultimatum wouldn’t work on him. Every time I say anything about his drinking he gets annoyed and dismissive. He is very much in denial. He’s always sick and tired and won’t acknowledge that alcohol could (guaranteed does) have a part to play in how terrible he feels most of the time. I’m pregnant with our second child. I avoid him when he’s drinking and go to bed because I can’t stand the smell or how relaxed he gets when the alcohol kicks in. I’m just really tired of it. I know his drinking has nothing to do with me but it’s hard not to take it personally. When he started having 1 or 2 midweek 3 years ago, I thought it was funny that he was a bit hungover the next morning. I never thought this was where I’d end up.

My husband is still drinking between 350-700ml each week. His first reaction to any stressor is to drink, but it’s obviously just an excuse for him to drink. I don’t really know what to do. I don’t want to leave. An ultimatum wouldn’t work on him. Every time I say anything about his drinking he gets annoyed and dismissive. He is very much in denial. He’s always sick and tired and won’t acknowledge that alcohol could (guaranteed does) have a part to play in how terrible he feels most of the time. I’m pregnant with our second child. I avoid him when he’s drinking and go to bed because I can’t stand the smell or how relaxed he gets when the alcohol kicks in. I’m just really tired of it. I know his drinking has nothing to do with me but it’s hard not to take it personally. When he started having 1 or 2 midweek 3 years ago, I thought it was funny that he was a bit hungover the next morning. I never thought this was where I’d end up.
You have to put yourself and your children first. If he refuses to acknowledge that he has a problem, won’t discuss it, won’t take an ultimatum…. What are you expecting to happen? He’s going to get worse and worse and worse. This isn’t going to get better. He’s refusing to put you or your children before his addiction and won’t even meet you half way. That’s no life for you as his partner and sure as tit as no way to bring children up with a drunk father.

I have a close family member who is an alcoholic in denial (and has been for as long as I can remember). I certainly won't be alone. I don't want sympathy, but I wanted to enquire about coping mechanisms.

My coping mechanisms have been to distance myself, not to deal with them when drunk - so perhaps matching their denial with my own!

Is anyone else willing to share?
My coping mechanism is the same, but its hard to watch someone you love going through it.

If i could have told my younger self what to do, I would stop making excuses for him. Put down my boundaries immediately. So much easier to say than do. Sticking around to see them hitting their rock bottom, you drown with them.

Reactions: 5
Hi all, I have messaged in here before about my dad and his binge drinking. We are currently in another binge period - since February he has been drinking everyday and just lying in his bed. I haven’t gone along much or phoned him but it is just really hanging over my head. I was looking at old photos and came across one of him as a little boy and I just felt so sad for him, and what he has become. He is such a talented, funny person with such a dark cloud over his head. I hope you are all doing ok ❤

• Heart
Hi all, I have messaged in here before about my dad and his binge drinking. We are currently in another binge period - since February he has been drinking everyday and just lying in his bed. I haven’t gone along much or phoned him but it is just really hanging over my head. I was looking at old photos and came across one of him as a little boy and I just felt so sad for him, and what he has become. He is such a talented, funny person with such a dark cloud over his head. I hope you are all doing ok ❤
I'm sorry to hear this 😔 I know it's difficult to step back but remember it's self preservation. I hope he can find the strength to come out the other side soon 🖤