Actually Honest - skincare & makeup reviews #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My hair has become a dried out mess. It’s brittle and with bits sticking up. It isn’t dyed, but just thought it was an age thing. I dread trying to get a comb or wetbrush through it when it has just been washed. Spent so much money recently on masks and conditioners etc. Just went to Rome. Washed my hair, was resigned I would have to spend time teasing out the tangles, I planned to dry it and then tie it up because it would be a frizzy mess. But no, it was easy to get a comb through, no tangles, it was shiny and soft - in short how my hair used to be. Penny has dropped. It’s the water. I live in a hard water area and it’s really damaging my hair.

Anyone else have the same issue, and is there a solution? I know you can get water softeners but that isn’t something I want to do. Thinking shampoos etc.
You can get a shower head that filters the crap out of the water, that might help! I still haven't found my perfect shampoo and conditioner combination so can't advise there...

Edited to add: something like this
Screenshot_20230401_170649_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Reactions: 4
Ok so I have been wearing the It Cosmetics CC nude glow and I wouldn't purchase it again. I have combination skin but it feels tacky on my face even after I've powdered, The coverage isn't bad and when I asked if I looked different my mate said I looked like I had a glow so I suppose it does what it says 🤣

Reactions: 3
I've developed a bit of a Garnier sheet masks habit. My skin is in tit since having a bad cold/upper chest infection thing recently and these masks seem to really lash some moisture in there and make things look a bit less dull.
Any opinions on how often is too often, and whether a night cream is needed after? I've been applying my favourite Clinique Moisture Surge overnight mask and my skin feels lovely after it.
Also if anyone can recommend other similar masks that might be somehow better!

Reactions: 1
Can anyone recommend something that will help with the following?

I’m dreadful about poking and squeezing my skin around my mouth and chin which results in a big spot a couple of days later. When they eventually go away, I’m often left with a red mark. How product can I use to make those red marks disappear?

I’m dreadful about poking and squeezing my skin around my mouth and chin which results in a big spot a couple of days later. When they eventually go away, I’m often left with a red mark. How product can I use to make those red marks disappear?
Niacinamide 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻 I get hormonal spots that always left red marks and this has been a game changer

Reactions: 6
I've developed a bit of a Garnier sheet masks habit. My skin is in tit since having a bad cold/upper chest infection thing recently and these masks seem to really lash some moisture in there and make things look a bit less dull.
Any opinions on how often is too often, and whether a night cream is needed after? I've been applying my favourite Clinique Moisture Surge overnight mask and my skin feels lovely after it.
Also if anyone can recommend other similar masks that might be somehow better!
Hyaluronic acid twice a day before moisturiser will make a huge difference! 😊

Reactions: 2

Use spot stickers instead of squeezing! They’re seriously satisfying when you see the crap they draw out. I used to be a big picker and squeezer and noticed as I got older, it took my skin way longer to recover each time so had to get out of the habit before I got permanent scars!

Reactions: 4
Use spot stickers instead of squeezing! They’re seriously satisfying when you see the crap they draw out. I used to be a big picker and squeezer and noticed as I got older, it took my skin way longer to recover each time so had to get out of the habit before I got permanent scars!
Can you recommend a brand?

Reactions: 1
Not skincare but general beauty related q.
Anyone tried any teeth whitening (other than professional) that actually works?
My teeth aren't that bad but would lobe a wee brighten up before a big birthday in June!

Azealiac acid is good for this, and niacinamide. Salicylic acid/BHAs are good for spots. I really rate the L’Oréal detox clay mask for spots. I’ve not used spot patches before but 100% want to try.

Idk if this is controversial (it’s certainly gross) but I find there is a right stage and way to squeeze them. If I do it outside this point it’s usually a disaster. On top of this, I wash my face & hands, use tissue to squeeze and then put savlon on after and it’s fine. My face’s skin isn’t sensitive though. Def try to avoid squeezing them ofc but if you absolutely have to that’s what I’d recommend

Not skincare but general beauty related q.
Anyone tried any teeth whitening (other than professional) that actually works?
My teeth aren't that bad but would lobe a wee brighten up before a big birthday in June!
Crest whitening strips are amazing, the ones from the US, I always pick up a couple of boxes when I go.
I generally use a strip once a month and whitening toothpaste in between.
I had zoom whitening about nine years ago, worked brilliantly but the sensitivity was horrible, would have lightening hit my mouth mid sentence and was left drooling like a basset hound for 2 days.

Any recommendations for a good face SPF for oily skin?
Some of my foundations do have SPF but now i'm almost 34, I'm conscious about taking better care at all times - not just makeup days.

Some of my foundations do have SPF but now i'm almost 34, I'm conscious about taking better care at all times - not just makeup days.
I have combination skin and use La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF 50+ (the mattifying one). Not too greasy, doesn’t leave a cast and is protective enough for city dwellers like me. You can also buy a moisturiser with “inbuilt” SPF protection — that’s what I’m currently using but, once again, it probably doesn’t have enough protection for warmer climates (=holidays in the sun).

Ultra Violete Supreme Screen is amazing!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.