Actually Honest - skincare & makeup reviews #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t understand how layering Vaseline on your face wouldn’t block every single pore.
It does for me - end up with a couple of those painful under-the-skin spots every time I’ve tried it. Loads of others swear by it though.

Reactions: 1
Does anyone have any recommendations for Inkey List products? I have £20 in points on their website (don’t ask me how ive never ordered just registered an account) but it seems a shame to waste them. Not a clue what to order though.

Reactions: 2
Does anyone have any recommendations for Inkey List products? I have £20 in points on their website (don’t ask me how ive never ordered just registered an account) but it seems a shame to waste them. Not a clue what to order though.
Caffeine Eye Cream
Helps me look like I’ve had some sleep and doesn’t trigger my dermatitis 👍

I love the niacinamide serum for my t zone and second the caffeine eye cream

The oat balm cleanser is a great product. I have also used the vitamin b, c & e moisturiser which I liked ( my skin is mature / dry ) and also the collagen serum . This made my skin feel really hydrated and plump.

The polyglutamic acid is lovely. It’s not an exfoliating acid - it holds water like hyalauronic but in even greater quantities.

I saw this online a few days ago. Finally my make up isn’t piling anymore
869DBC1A-90BC-4E02-85A5-FC4BC397907A.jpeg

Reactions: 3
I saw this online a few days ago. Finally my make up isn’t piling anymore
View attachment 2063533
Interesting. I've tried putting oil over moisturiser (just Superdrug's Vit E one which I've been using for years) as I heard that was the correct order, but it always just feels so wrong so revert to serum, oil, moisturiser.

Interesting. I've tried putting oil over moisturiser (just Superdrug's Vit E one which I've been using for years) as I heard that was the correct order, but it always just feels so wrong so revert to serum, oil, moisturiser.
Same!!! I don't feel happy with that order but maybe the oil on top works a bit like the vasaline layer and seals all the goodness in!??

Another vote for the oat balm cleanser! I use it to melt my makeup off before I use my face wash and it’s SO lovely and gentle.

You likely need to let the moisturizer sink in for a bit before adding the oil. I can’t picture the skin having a chance of absorbing any moisture through a barrier of oil.

Can any of you lovely tattlers recommend a anti wrinkle cream that wont give me spots?

Can anyone recommend a good daily toner?

I have dry skin and I want to reduce the size of my pores on my nose.

This is my routine which is still relatively new as before I just used cleanser and moisturiser.

AM: CeraVe hydrating cleanser, CeraVe Hydrating Hyaluronic Acid Serum and SPF

PM: CeraVe hydrating cleanser, La Roche Posay Retinol, LaRoche Posay Effeclar, Nivea moisturiser.

I've recently started using the Pixi Glow Tonic toner but have read it should only be used every few days and want to have a good daily toner.

Can anyone recommend a good daily toner?

I have dry skin and I want to reduce the size of my pores on my nose.

This is my routine which is still relatively new as before I just used cleanser and moisturiser.

AM: CeraVe hydrating cleanser, CeraVe Hydrating Hyaluronic Acid Serum and SPF

PM: CeraVe hydrating cleanser, La Roche Posay Retinol, LaRoche Posay Effeclar, Nivea moisturiser.

I've recently started using the Pixi Glow Tonic toner but have read it should only be used every few days and want to have a good daily toner.
I was actually going to suggest Pixi Glow until I saw your last sentence! I would not recommend using it every day but every other day has always been my preferred way (I have combination skin), acid toners are the only thing that help me with pores. Maybe you could rotate Pixi Glow and another toner? I see you use La Roche-Posay, their Effaclar toner is said to be good. My personal favourite is Lumene Klassiko Refreshing Toner, but it’s quite difficult to find these days.

Also, I’m no expert, but I would avoid layering AHAs, such as glycolic acid (= Pixi Glow), with retinol, as their combination can make your skin quite dry.

Can any of you lovely tattlers recommend a anti wrinkle cream that wont give me spots?
This doesn't really answer your question but I've started using hyularonic acid serum under any old moisturiser and it really does have a good plumping and smoothing effect on my skin. It is just the Boots Ingredients one in pink packaging for £5 (I think???).
I'm not prone to spots so can't really guarantee it from that aspect. Also you can mix a few drops with existing moisturiser.

My hair has become a dried out mess. It’s brittle and with bits sticking up. It isn’t dyed, but just thought it was an age thing. I dread trying to get a comb or wetbrush through it when it has just been washed. Spent so much money recently on masks and conditioners etc. Just went to Rome. Washed my hair, was resigned I would have to spend time teasing out the tangles, I planned to dry it and then tie it up because it would be a frizzy mess. But no, it was easy to get a comb through, no tangles, it was shiny and soft - in short how my hair used to be. Penny has dropped. It’s the water. I live in a hard water area and it’s really damaging my hair.

Anyone else have the same issue, and is there a solution? I know you can get water softeners but that isn’t something I want to do. Thinking shampoos etc.

My hair has become a dried out mess. It’s brittle and with bits sticking up. It isn’t dyed, but just thought it was an age thing. I dread trying to get a comb or wetbrush through it when it has just been washed. Spent so much money recently on masks and conditioners etc. Just went to Rome. Washed my hair, was resigned I would have to spend time teasing out the tangles, I planned to dry it and then tie it up because it would be a frizzy mess. But no, it was easy to get a comb through, no tangles, it was shiny and soft - in short how my hair used to be. Penny has dropped. It’s the water. I live in a hard water area and it’s really damaging my hair.

Anyone else have the same issue, and is there a solution? I know you can get water softeners but that isn’t something I want to do. Thinking shampoos etc.
Argh been there. So much so I avoided tangles by ignoring them. Which surprisingly did not help 😂
I can only say what has helped me.
I've stopped using conditioners as they just seemed to make matters worse for some reason (made my hair greasy, dry and tangly all at the same time 🤷‍♀️) . I use a small amount of shampoo in the shower and really massage the scalp, and try not to have the water very hot as that dries out hair terribly, then when hair is not sopping wet use a tiny bit of Hask Argan oil (I mean like a half penny sized blob and I have long hair), or a deep conditioning leave in conditioner. (I use a Cantu shea butter one) again a tiny bit, and that seems to have done the trick for me. Such a simple switch but it has worked.
I just think normal conditioner coats the hair so much it is hard to rinse out, maybe even more so in your hard water area. So it just sits there making a tangly mess. Then the hair dries out so we use more conditioner.

Maybe try a water filter? You can get devices that can be screwed into your existing shower plumbing.

Maybe try a water filter? You can get devices that can be screwed into your existing shower plumbing.

Would second this- my hair was so much nicer when I lived in Dorset because of the soft water. London water was such a shock! I found I required less products too.

I moved to a hard water area and someone suggested Kristin Ess micellar shampoo to me - it’s fantastic. My hair feels so soft after. It’s on offer in boots at the moment. Usually a tenner but it’s a third off.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.