Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Check out Wayne Goss on youtube, he gives great advice and if you look up his vlog on the ordinary range he lists every product along with links to them in the description, I started using it since watching that and so far love it, routine will obviously differ on skin type, age etc but I think he's great and he does nice short to the point vlogs

Reactions: 2
Check out Wayne Goss on youtube, he gives great advice and if you look up his vlog on the ordinary range he lists every product along with links to them in the description, I started using it since watching that and so far love it, routine will obviously differ on skin type, age etc but I think he's great and he does nice short to the point vlogs

Thank you I’ll go have a look! Thank you x

Reactions: 1
I’ve got blackheads but sensitive skin. Chemical exfoliants often cause me to get broken veins/redness. Any advice on whether stridex would be too strong?
It’s alcohol free which definitely helps. I think of salicylic as one of the gentler acids.

Alternatively you could try PHA or a retinol (heavily buffered until your skin gets used to it). You definitely don’t need acid and retinol together if you have sensitive skin. You can always use the product just on your nose if that’s where the blackheads are.

I go to the beautician for a professional facial cleansing and before that I underwent a course of acid peels to remove acne marks.

Can anyone give an honest review on ‘the ordinary’ skin care products and foundation? I’ve been tempted a couple of times but stopped myself 🤔 ..

Also did anyone find the pixie glow tonic as underwhelming as I did? The only glow was the reddening and rash left from using it!!

I've not used the foundation but the 2% granactive (?) Retinoid I think has been great. Although I been alternating with la Roche Posey retinol so cant for sure say what's made the difference. But first time using retinol and amazed at the difference after 3 months. Need to get hold of Spanish stuff mentioned up thread 😀

Tried a couple of the acids but nothing wow'd.

Agree, pixie glow is a bit 'meh'. I LOVE Ole Henrikson Truth serum and find that gives a real noticable glow.

Can anyone give an honest review on ‘the ordinary’ skin care products and foundation? I’ve been tempted a couple of times but stopped myself 🤔 ..

Also did anyone find the pixie glow tonic as underwhelming as I did? The only glow was the reddening and rash left from using it!!
I have tried quite a few of the ordinary products but haven’t ended up with any as a permanent part of my routine. I always felt the formulas were a bit sticky!

What are your skincare goals? There are definitely products which are as good value as the ordinary. I think it’s quite good for getting into skincare and experimenting and getting to know different ingredients.

There are some products that combine ingredients so they end up being better value...

I haven’t tried the pixi glow tonic. At one stage I really wanted to but I’m glad I didn’t bite.

I know people were talking about beautypie up thread. Does anyone have any faves from there which have become permanent in their routine?

I'm on the highest tier Beauty Pie membership and think I've tried most of their products at this point (considering a downgrade soon; there's only so many beauty products you can use!).

My faves - skincare:

- Japanfusion cleanser (really like feel of this, though IMO not great at removing eye makeup)
- Japanfusion serum
- Japanfusion moisturiser
- Plantastic cleansing balm
- Super Healthy Skin daily moisture lotion (good basic day moisturiser)

Makeup - multiple repurchases:

- False flash lash mascara
- Lip oil (the single tube rather than the trio; trio is fine, but with exception of red, not as pigmented as you'd expect from the looks of them, and it could be psychosomatic, but the formula doesn't feel as nice)
- Lip colour balm stick
- Superbrow fine precision pencil
- One Powder Wonder

Things that I've tried that I haven't been sold on:

- Japanfusion hydra prep lotion (don't notice this adds much to the routine)
- Qi Engergy serum/moisturiser (found it hard to get past the scent and didn't notice great results)
- Massive fan mascara (very understated on me, hard to build up)
- Their matte lipsticks don't wear well on me
- Ditto foundations (possibly just haven't found the right colour match, despite ordering the sample set)

Other BP stuff I like but not yet permanent in the routine:

- Love their candles
- Recently tried the foot peel. Wasn't expecting much, but a couple of days later the peelage was satisfyingly gross and my feet are now impressively soft - will repurchase
- Fan of the One Palette Wonder (think it's a CT dupe)
- Just bought their body exfoliator and moisturiser - first impressions really good (especially the moisturiser texture) - most likely will repurchase

I have tried quite a few of the ordinary products but haven’t ended up with any as a permanent part of my routine. I always felt the formulas were a bit sticky!

What are your skincare goals? There are definitely products which are as good value as the ordinary. I think it’s quite good for getting into skincare and experimenting and getting to know different ingredients.

There are some products that combine ingredients so they end up being better value...

I haven’t tried the pixi glow tonic. At one stage I really wanted to but I’m glad I didn’t bite.

I know people were talking about beautypie up thread. Does anyone have any faves from there which have become permanent in their routine?
I heard a lot of good things about the ordinary products but didn’t know if it was influencers with #gifted #ad so wanted some honest reviews really, they seem reasonably priced too. I have quite dry/ combination skin and also want to start with eye creams now I’ve reached my 30s 😬

I’ve seen a lot of professionals recommend le Roche possay (am I spelling that right?!) so might research further!

Reactions: 1
I'm on the highest tier Beauty Pie membership and think I've tried most of their products at this point (considering a downgrade soon; there's only so many beauty products you can use!).

My faves - skincare:

- Japanfusion cleanser (really like feel of this, though IMO not great at removing eye makeup)
- Japanfusion serum

- Lip oil (the single tube rather than the trio; trio is fine, but with exception of red, not as pigmented as you'd expect from the looks of them, and it could be psychosomatic, but the formula doesn't feel as nice)
- Lip colour balm stick
- One Powder Wonder

- Qi Engergy serum/moisturiser (found it hard to get past the scent and didn't notice great results)
- Ditto foundations (possibly just haven't found the right colour match, despite ordering the sample set)

- Love their candles
- Recently tried the foot peel. Wasn't expecting much, but a couple of days later the peelage was satisfyingly gross and my feet are now impressively soft - will repurchase
- Just bought their body exfoliator and moisturiser - first impressions really good (especially the moisturiser texture) - most likely will repurchase
How did you try the foot peel? I'm still waiting for it to be released. Also if anyone wants an introductory code for extra Beauty Pie allowance please message me. I've been a member since it started and agree with lots of Arya Stark's recommendations. I'd add the eyeshadow sticks as a repeat buy.

My faves - skincare:

- Japanfusion serum

- Lip colour balm stick
- One Powder Wonder

- Love their candles
Thank you for this detail! Such good timing because I did a huge BeautyPie order at the weekend. I’d let my allowance roll over for a few months.

Really pleased with the texture of the eye cream sticks - can’t wait to try one tomorrow.

Body cream also love everything about so far - texture, smell and size of the tub.

I heard a lot of good things about the ordinary products but didn’t know if it was influencers with #gifted #ad so wanted some honest reviews really, they seem reasonably priced too. I have quite dry/ combination skin and also want to start with eye creams now I’ve reached my 30s 😬

I’ve seen a lot of professionals recommend le Roche possay (am I spelling that right?!) so might research further!
Do you want to try to smooth out lines and even skin tone? The ordinary have retinol products and vitamin c which might not suit you long term but are affordable enough to trial and see if you get on with those ingredients.

Here is a simple outline of key ingredients to look for and what they do:

Niacinamide - evens skin tone, soothes irritation, can help with acne

Retinol/Tretinoin - can smooth wrinkles and superficial scars, even skin tone, increase collagen and thickness of skin, making it appear plumper, reduce acne.

AHA acid - chemical exfoliation increases cell turnover, smooth skin tone, fade pigmentation, brighten, very slightly smooth wrinkles, appearance of pores and scars

BHA acid - chemical exfoliater which can get into pores and clean some gunk out. Can help with acne and prevent pores from stretching if used long term.

Vitamin C - can fade hyperpigmentation, can be a booster alongside SPF to protect against photoaging, can help with brightness.

(Sorry if you knew all of that!)

The acids, vitamin c and retinol can all be irritant so it’s a good idea to introduce one at a time until you can use with no problems and then introduce the next. You’ve also got to be clear about how many steps you’re willing to do as they work best long term. So that’s why it’s good to see if there are ways to use products that are two in one or whatever 🤩. Like CeraVe is a moisturiser with niacinamide and it’s affordable so you can add it in with no drama and you’ve already included a very helpful ingredient.

And finally - the main product for anti-ageing is sun protection and the Asian market is years ahead of the UK in terms of cosmetically elegant formulations.

An example could be:

From The ordinary:

Retinol with squalene (as it’s gentle on dry skin for an intro)
Vitamin c ascorbix acid powder
Glycolic acid

Then order from Boots:

Cerave moisturiser in the tub
Cerave hydrating cleanser
Cerave lotion in the pump

Then from YesStyle

Biore Aqua Rich water essence SPF 50

All of that would probably be under £50 all in!

You can use all of those products close to the orbital bone instead of an eye cream and enough active ingredient will migrate enough to be effective around the eyes (I use tretinoin around my eyes with no probs but it gives some people dry eyes)

I can go into detail about which thing to use when and so on if you’re interested but I wil leave it there as I’m rambling a bit!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
How did you try the foot peel? I'm still waiting for it to be released. Also if anyone wants an introductory code for extra Beauty Pie allowance please message me. I've been a member since it started and agree with lots of Arya Stark's recommendations. I'd add the eyeshadow sticks as a repeat buy.
I'm in the US - just taken a look at both sites, and it's currently available in US but not UK from the looks of it (which makes a change as a lot of the items have been ready frustratingly a lot earlier in the UK than US, body moisturiser/exfoliator and haircare being recent examples).

Eyeshadow sticks – forgot about them! They’re also a repeat buy for me, have them in loads of colours (prefer the shimmers to the mattes).

Carryonnursing - such a good outline of different ingredients and what they do!

Reactions: 3
Would love to know how the foot peel goes if anyone gets it. I remember a friend of mine got those £25 socks from boots and said whilst really satisfying it’s notning that a footfile wouldn’t do.
I LOVE the lip oils (the original one). I recently got the new plain one and I think it’s a little smaller. It smells good but I also don’t think it’s as good as the original.
I used to have the highest allowance but find the £5 a month works fine for me. I just buy the lip oil, mascara, and eyebrow pencil regularly and then top up with foundation etc when I want. I spend £30 a month on dermatica so can’t really justify going mad with all the serums like I used to. I have the cosrx snail serum that seems to be taking an age to get to the bottom of and then I am definitely open to recommendations please??

Hot Cloth Cleansers....The MASSIVE con is the price. Your going to have it on your skins for 30 seconds and then presumably if it's doing its job it should all come off along with the dirt. Seems crazy to use these massively expensive ones. So my criteria is does it smell nice and take off make up by nicely emulsifying with water.

Body Shop Oils of Life Intensely Revitalising Cleansing Oil-In-Gel. £8

SORRY SORRY SORRY

THIS IS A AFFILIATE LINK AND I MAY GET A SMALL PONY IF YOU BUY USING IT.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Hot Cloth Cleansers....The MASSIVE con is the price. Your going to have it on your skins for 30 seconds and then presumably if it's doing its job it should all come off along with the dirt. Seems crazy to use these massively expensive ones. So my criteria is does it smell nice and take off make up by nicely emulsifying with water.

Body Shop Oils of Life Intensely Revitalising Cleansing Oil-In-Gel. £8

Now I have to say the camomile one gave me contact dermatitis but I can’t think what’s in it to have caused it. I’m scared of buying another from the bodyshop now. Was so gutted.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.