Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The only primer I've ever liked is the smashbox hydrating one, the one in the blue tube. It helped with my skin looking flaky under foundation. I got mine cheap on depop though. My friend swears that a Barry m one is just as good and much cheaper but I've never tried it!

Straying from makeup/skin chat.. Anyone have any tips for greasy hair? I need a good shampoo!
Paul Mitchell or Davines - both worth the money and a little goes a long way.

Reactions: 4
Has anyone tried and had success with Cerave SA smoothing wash/cream.

I want to try it for my bumpy arms but Sal recommended it so I'm hesitant! Funny how the tides turn.

Would it be best to use wash or cream? Or both? I've read reviews of people using it from head to toe and loving it. Would there be any pros or cons to that?

Any recommendations for good vitamin c serums for sensitive skin prone to blocked pores but not spots?
Ole Henrikson Truth Serum!
I first got 'into' beauty a few years ago and spent 18months spending SO much money on products that were 'recommended' by various influencers. Scaled back now and have a few products that have stayed and others that I'm happy with cheaper stuff. Clinique Take the Day Off and Ole Truth Serum are my two constants!

Reactions: 3
@NoseyP2019 have you tried the Timeless vitamin C serum? It’s very good. Other faves:
Melano cc vitamin c drops (used over entire face)
The ordinary ascorbic acid powder mixed into water or a water based serum
Skinceuticals c and ferulic serum (this is SPENDY)

I’m going to try the beauty pie vitamin c cream next.

Reactions: 2
I'd like to try the beauty pie eyeshadow sticks but my membership has lapsed and not keen to sign up (and spend more money) at the mo.

Any other reasonably priced versions anyone can recommend?

I'd like to try the beauty pie eyeshadow sticks but my membership has lapsed and not keen to sign up (and spend more money) at the mo.

Any other reasonably priced versions anyone can recommend?

My daughter got topshop eye crayons at Christmas. I’ve pinched them. Got to say I’m pretty impressed. I love the purple one.

Reactions: 1
@RayRayJay i have two from Kiko that I am happy with but they are the only shadow sticks I’ve used so no comparison. I find shopping at Kiko horrible, it’s intense and overwhelming but the products are good and reasonably priced.

hi,
I'm really after some help.
I'm 45 very nearly 46. In my 20s and 30s i had lovely skin, but i used expensive products,had monthly facials, zero stress etc.
For the last few years I've really let myself go.
I've now got wrinkles, spots, dry skin, congestion, enlarges pores, random hairs - all set for halloween!

i really want to sort myself out, because quite frankly its making me depressed and i think some self care will make me look and feel better.

id really like to use non plastic, animal friendly, kind products.

can someone advise me? i feel clueless.
thank you.

hi,
I'm really after some help.
I'm 45 very nearly 46. In my 20s and 30s i had lovely skin, but i used expensive products,had monthly facials, zero stress etc.
For the last few years I've really let myself go.
I've now got wrinkles, spots, dry skin, congestion, enlarges pores, random hairs - all set for halloween!

i really want to sort myself out, because quite frankly its making me depressed and i think some self care will make me look and feel better.

id really like to use non plastic, animal friendly, kind products.

can someone advise me? i feel clueless.
thank you.
What sort of products did you like before? When you say animal friendly do you mean ‘natural’ or just not tested on animals?

Just don’t want to recommend things that are a complete no!

What sort of products did you like before? When you say animal friendly do you mean ‘natural’ or just not tested on animals?

Just don’t want to recommend things that are a complete no!
I use to use all sorts before such as Thalgo, Environ are two I remember i was using before i started using supermarket things but over the years i've used everything elemis, clarins, clinique...

I would prefer "natural", but I want things that work. So as long as they aren't tested on animals id be happy.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I use to use all sorts before such as Thalgo, Environ are two I remember i was using before i started using supermarket things but over the years i've used everything elemis, clarins, clinique...

I would prefer "natural", but I want things that work. So as long as they aren't tested on animals id be happy.

Thank you.
I can’t go too much into proper natural type stuff because it’s never quite agreed with my skin and I’ve always felt they’re v expensive for what they are. I’ve heard good things about trilogy Rose hip oil though - 2 - 3 drops overnight.
I know I keep banging on about it but honestly - Tretinoin. I know it’s not in the slightest bit natural but it works. Products in the EU aren’t allowed to be tested on animals so you’re fine there. Dermatica or another online pharmacy.

Other people might be able to suggest some options.. I’ve heard good things about the ordinary which you can get vitamin C (cheap alternative to something like the environ) and they do a retinol too. You should be good with either of those alongside what you already use.

@TescoSainsburys it depends how much time and energy and money you want to invest.

As a basic regime you could try an acid toner a few times a week and begin with the ordinary retinol in squalene (glass bottle) on the nights you don’t use the acid toner.

Then use a niacinamide toner in the morning before a simple moisturiser (Weleda skin food light is good) and then a broad spectrum SPF.

There is a comment upthread with a list of the most hardworking ingredients and what they do.

I’m not so good with ethical cosmetics - I’m really ashamed to say I’ve had my head in the sand about how problematic a lot of the companies I buy from are.

I second the recommendation for tretinoin. There isn’t anything like it. The only problem is that it’s really quite irritant at first but if you use plenty of heavy moisturise you’ll be fine.

Also some people have a purge and it takes a while to take effect. But over time it reduces wrinkles, shrinks the appearance of pores and evens out the skin tone

ok so currently I'm using these

Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
Clinique Clarifying Lotion 1.0
Simple Eye Make-Up Remover
Neutrogena Hydro BoostWater Gel Moisturiser

Im about to run out of
moisturiser and i think this is a bit weak for me. So I'm thinking a new moisturiser and serum - maybe AM and PM ones? but i really have no clue. Only started using the Neutrogena stuff after C.Hirons spoke about them on This Morning...

Maybe try CeraVe products, they are cruelty free (last time I checked, but things can change suddenly if they start selling in China). Their PM cream is good, of course you can use it during the day as well.

Sukin do a hydrating mask which contains acids. It’s ethical & natural. Affordable and on amazon and boots. It’s bloody good. Environ is always good. I’d suggest booking in for an environ facial and facial threading. On top of that start doing regular facial massage. If you can afford then maybe some “tweakments” or some good new make up.

Is there anything else from Sukin you'd recommend? I'm looking at their sensitive facial moisturiser as a possible purchase.

Is there anything else from Sukin you'd recommend? I'm looking at their sensitive facial moisturiser as a possible purchase.
I use their sensitive facial moisturiser as my day to day one on top of any serum or more active product that I’m using. It’s really soothing and seems to do the job. It’s also great value as it’s a big bottle. I’m planning to switch to their cleansers too, although not decided which one. I also use their rosehip oil. It seems to be good but, obviously, it’s a gentle ingredient so I wasn’t expecting something dramatic. It doesn’t clog my pores. I actually only used their mask as a family member left it at my house and I saw an immediate result in terms of glowiness. I think their products are great and they don’t make any ridiculous claims.

My hair is very fine and floppy so gets greasy at the front from touching it. I like Body Shop ginger shampoo but I think it’s expensive and it frustrates me that they don’t do a bigger bottle. I also like Alphosyl medicated 2 in 1 stuff out the chemist, gives very shiny hair but doesn’t flatten it to death. The L’Oreal Fibrology Air is good too (Aware my recommendations are all a bit unethical!)

please could somebody recommend me an acid toner? I used to like Clinique but they meddled with it, I’ve tried Aveda which I liked but got too expensive and I was underwhelmed by REN. M&S have Pixi Glow Tonic for a good price but I’m wary of influencer bollocks and haven’t seen much love for it here.

Also what about M&S sleep cream they were all raving about a couple of years ago? The reviews are great and I love their cheapo day cream. I’m using the Aldi Caviar one which is fine but fancy a change.

I’m not a serious skincare type, too poor and found my face likes to be mainly left alone (something oily to get dirt off, soap and cheap creams) though it does like salicylic acid in small doses.

Thanks, loving this thread and all the SH ones which I’ve been lurking on for months!
The ordinary glycolic acid is hands down my favourite toner. The only one that actually does something for my skin.

I got the m&s sleep cream and didnt make much of a difference to my skin. Would never repurchase.

I use the ordinary skin peel (the red one, think it's called aha bha) twice a week.

No7 cleansing balm is AMAZING I get it when its 3 for 2 and that will last me months and months even with daily use.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.