Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Now I have to say the camomile one gave me contact dermatitis but I can’t think what’s in it to have caused it. I’m scared of buying another from the bodyshop now. Was so gutted.
Oh no! The one in the tin? Found that very greasy.

Can anyone give an honest review on ‘the ordinary’ skin care products and foundation? I’ve been tempted a couple of times but stopped myself 🤔 ..

Also did anyone find the pixie glow tonic as underwhelming as I did? The only glow was the reddening and rash left from using it!!
I am a big The Ordinary fan. I love that you can mix and match to suit your skin, I love the utilitarian packaging and as a skin care junkie on a budget, I love the affordability.

It’s by no means perfect though - the formulas are usually basic, often not as fine or refined as more expensive products and overall not very sophisticated. The dropper bottles aren’t ideal either.

Even if I could afford skinceuticals or murad all the time, I’d definitely still have some The Ordinary products in the mix too. They do the job at an excellent, transparent price point.

On the foundations I’d say they are great, perform really well but I need a primer underneath else they go streaky on me. Very good and not just for the price, but equally not quite worth the over-the-top saccharine accolades they garnered on launch.

Pick glow tonic not a fan, much prefer The Ordinary’s glycolic toner. It’s more effective yet gentler and much better value for money.

Reactions: 2
I love The Ordinary and DHC, considering a BeautyPie membership - recommended products please, and membership level?

Reactions: 1
Also
Oh no! The one in the tin? Found that very greasy.
Yes I suppose it was. Maybe I didn’t remove it very well.
I’m now on the beautypie super healthy skin one. It’s okay but not great. I need something that doesn’t require a double cleanse as I am lazy...

I get tretinoinin 0.05% from dermatica. Is there another way to get it that’s better value? If so would LOVE to know please. I get Azelaic acid from there as well.

I hope someone can help! I'm such a basic b*tch. I actually use oil of olay! You guys are great with all your technical knowledge and percentages!😍

I hope someone can help! I'm such a basic b*tch. I actually use oil of olay! You guys are great with all your technical knowledge and percentages!😍
Hey- if it works then don’t change!
I’d echo everything @Carryonnursing has said. Tretinoin (start at 0.025% and every few days.. working up), a hydrating serum - I’ve heard amazing things about Hado Labo which I’ve just found on yesstyle but don’t actually know which one to buy.. so maybe just your oil of Olay.. and that’s night sorted. Eye cream - I use cerave as it has ceramides in it for repair.
Day - use an SPF.

Then when you’ve sorted all of that start adding in more fun stuff. DON’T make the mistake I did and throw everything at your face and end up spending three years trying to fix it (advertisers/ influencers/ credit card company’s dream I am).

I buy my tretinoin and azelaic acid from an online pharmacy. I’ve shared the link with a few people here but someone said they googled and there were some dodgy reviews! I felt bad in case it was a problem but I’ve honestly been using them for years and never had a problem.

The tretinoin is about £7 a tube and the 20% Azelaic acid is about the same. A tube of each lasts me at least 2 months.

@CloudierN there are lots of those footpeel masks on YesStyle

Last edited:
Speaking of the Laura Mercier primer up on the other thread. Has anyone got any good recommendations? I found porefessional to just show up all the lines and looked cakey. But I do have quite big pores.
I quite like me some silicones to be honest..

Any recommendations for good vitamin c serums for sensitive skin prone to blocked pores but not spots?

For anyone else with dry eyes, I haven't found an eye cream that can match Eucerin Hyaluron Filler. Only one that stops my eyes flaking. And it's always on offer in boots.
Thanks for tip re: eye cream. Despite the rest of my face being oily, my under eyes have the dryness and texture of 2-week old bread 😱

Hey- if it works then don’t change!
I’d echo everything @Carryonnursing has said. Tretinoin (start at 0.025% and every few days.. working up), a hydrating serum - I’ve heard amazing things about Hado Labo which I’ve just found on yesstyle but don’t actually know which one to buy.. so maybe just your oil of Olay.. and that’s night sorted. Eye cream - I use cerave as it has ceramides in it for repair.
Day - use an SPF.

Then when you’ve sorted all of that start adding in more fun stuff. DON’T make the mistake I did and throw everything at your face and end up spending three years trying to fix it (advertisers/ influencers/ credit card company’s dream I am).
Nadine Baggott did a review of the red / white Hada Labo products a few days ago on her YT channel. I found it really helpful, might be worth checking out if you haven’t seen it yet x

Last edited:
Speaking of the Laura Mercier primer up on the other thread. Has anyone got any good recommendations? I found porefessional to just show up all the lines and looked cakey. But I do have quite big pores.
I quite like me some silicones to be honest..
The only primer I've ever liked is the smashbox hydrating one, the one in the blue tube. It helped with my skin looking flaky under foundation. I got mine cheap on depop though. My friend swears that a Barry m one is just as good and much cheaper but I've never tried it!

Straying from makeup/skin chat.. Anyone have any tips for greasy hair? I need a good shampoo!

My hair is very fine and floppy so gets greasy at the front from touching it. I like Body Shop ginger shampoo but I think it’s expensive and it frustrates me that they don’t do a bigger bottle. I also like Alphosyl medicated 2 in 1 stuff out the chemist, gives very shiny hair but doesn’t flatten it to death. The L’Oreal Fibrology Air is good too (Aware my recommendations are all a bit unethical!)

please could somebody recommend me an acid toner? I used to like Clinique but they meddled with it, I’ve tried Aveda which I liked but got too expensive and I was underwhelmed by REN. M&S have Pixi Glow Tonic for a good price but I’m wary of influencer bollocks and haven’t seen much love for it here.

Also what about M&S sleep cream they were all raving about a couple of years ago? The reviews are great and I love their cheapo day cream. I’m using the Aldi Caviar one which is fine but fancy a change.

I’m not a serious skincare type, too poor and found my face likes to be mainly left alone (something oily to get dirt off, soap and cheap creams) though it does like salicylic acid in small doses.

Thanks, loving this thread and all the SH ones which I’ve been lurking on for months!

Also what about M&S sleep cream they were all raving about a couple of years ago? The reviews are great and I love their cheapo day cream. I’m using the Aldi Caviar one which is fine but fancy a change.
I said on the other thread - I rate the sleep cream. It's really good. I've started using a whole load of The Ordinary things at night now but on evenings when I can't be bothered I use that (or the ROC deep wrinkle retin-A stuff).

Any recommendations for good vitamin c serums for sensitive skin prone to blocked pores but not spots?
The beauty pie capsules are really good. It will be tingly especially if your skin is a bit sensitive but I love them.

My hair is very fine and floppy so gets greasy at the front from touching it. I like Body Shop ginger shampoo but I think it’s expensive and it frustrates me that they don’t do a bigger bottle. I also like Alphosyl medicated 2 in 1 stuff out the chemist, gives very shiny hair but doesn’t flatten it to death. The L’Oreal Fibrology Air is good too (Aware my recommendations are all a bit unethical!)

please could somebody recommend me an acid toner? I used to like Clinique but they meddled with it, I’ve tried Aveda which I liked but got too expensive and I was underwhelmed by REN. M&S have Pixi Glow Tonic for a good price but I’m wary of influencer bollocks and haven’t seen much love for it here.

I’m not a serious skincare type, too poor and found my face likes to be mainly left alone (something oily to get dirt off, soap and cheap creams) though it does like salicylic acid in small doses.

Thanks, loving this thread and all the SH ones which I’ve been lurking on for months!
Cosrx do good acids- depending on what you want the do a BHA or an AHA or both. Be warned the AHA one smells a bit fishy.. not really sure why! But it works..
Or Beauty Pie micro peeling super drops are nice.

Thanks - not sure I fancy ‘fishy’ even if it’s the elixir of youth!
My friend has Beauty Pie so I’ll have a look.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I buy my tretinoin and azelaic acid from an online pharmacy. I’ve shared the link with a few people here but someone said they googled and there were some dodgy reviews! I felt bad in case it was a problem but I’ve honestly been using them for years and never had a problem.

The tretinoin is about £7 a tube and the 20% Azelaic acid is about the same. A tube of each lasts me at least 2 months.

@CloudierN there are lots of those footpeel masks on YesStyle

Could you DM the link for the pharm you use? I'm just about finished my retrides and no one I know is off to Spain for a while. WHELP

@Gusber any idea on colours for the a’pieu concealer? I can’t find swatches. The descriptions for the lighter ones (which i’d normally go for - light beigeish- am a 2 or a 3 in L’oreal True match) seem to be VERY light.

Tubing mascaras.

I use the no7 stay perfect one. It's doesn't have a wow effect at all but I have long eyelashes so look doll-like with big mascara. It washes off so easily which is why I use it every day.

The clinique full to flutter one was a better for making lashes longer/fuller but didn't wash off as easily. They don't do it anymore but the same formula is in another one of theirs but can't remember which one.

I was excited to join Beauty Pie on the recommendation of a pal. I have very sensitive skin and rosacea and reluctantly wear make up every day to cover things up. Obviously, some things I hate might really suit someone else but I thought I'd chip in. I love the idea of actual honest reviews.

I was initially enthusiastic about the cheap prices and tried a lot of products. Having been with them a while now paying out my £10 a month I've realised that it's not so cheap. I order on average about 4 times a year so if I add £30 on to the price that bumps it right up and I'm not sure it's worth it so am on the verge of cancelling.

Things I've been unimpressed by:

Shampoo and conditioner - really average.

Eyeshadow palettes - very neutral/almost invisible

Moisturisers - Jeju overnight superinfusion - woke up with skin feeling dry

Japanfusion super cream and serum - did nothing for me at all.

Shimmerbar - can't tell it's on (I have 2 of the colourways.)

Eyeliners - Too thick and smudgy.

Things I like.

Wondercolour longwear cream shadow sticks - I have ALL the colours and these are so easy and do last. Current faves are goldie and wild violet.

Wondergloss lip oil - LOVELY! Funnily enough, having been alerted to the existence of Tattle Life via the Sali Hughes drama, I stopped wearing lip gloss after attending a book signing where SH was in conversation with Caitlin Moran and they both agreed that women over a certain age should not wear lip gloss and so, ridiculously, I stopped and felt slightly mortified I'd made such a faux pas. Ha! After dutifully wearing my lipsticks I thought I'd chuck one of these in my Beauty Pie box and adored it. It's not sticky, it's subtle but visible, it lasts well, and it makes my lips feel good. I've ordered all the colours now.

Super retinol hand treatment - really moisturising and comforting.

Clean House candle - smells delicious and honestly has the look and scent of a luxury candle at a pretty reasonable price of just over £14

You’re so right about the jeju over night super infusion. It’s just not moisturising.
Couldn’t get into the Japanfusion either.
I do think BP is good value but I more look at it as decent mid range rather than a bargain at the price (ie it’s not high end at a fraction of the cost, more just products that work at the price point they’re set at.. if that makes sense) so I’m still happy to maintain my £5 a month membership to keep getting the stuff I love (ie lip oil) and occasionally trying new stuff out.
The hair stuff is a bit meh isn’t it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.