Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Missed my glossier delivery yesterday. *Luckily* my son was up super early so managed to get to post office pre 7 to collect it.

Not disappointed. Don't want to be too eager since I've only had the stuff on my face for 15 mins but I am feeling myself today! The stretch concealer is perfection. I'd sent a picture of myself for them to match and the colour is perfect (G11).

Cloud paint (beam) very pretty. Popped some on my eyes too.

Boy brow looks like a miniature but it's working for me! First time I've done make up with no eyebrow pencil in years!
I love those three Glossier items too ( I have Cloud Paint in Dusk and Storm) and I'd definitely rebuy.

Reactions: 1
Missed my glossier delivery yesterday. *Luckily* my son was up super early so managed to get to post office pre 7 to collect it.

Not disappointed. Don't want to be too eager since I've only had the stuff on my face for 15 mins but I am feeling myself today! The stretch concealer is perfection. I'd sent a picture of myself for them to match and the colour is perfect (G11).

Cloud paint (beam) very pretty. Popped some on my eyes too.

Boy brow looks like a miniature but it's working for me! First time I've done make up with no eyebrow pencil in years!
I love the glossier products I’ve tried as well.

Is the concealer quite wet? I find a lot of concealers dry down too quickly for me to blend them properly and end up looking really heavy. Am trying out the French chic dark under eye circle look currently 😉

Never heard of it!
I like squalane, I use the Indeed one from Boots.

What’s a good tretinoin and where did you buy yours?
Tretinoin is the vitamin A cream or gel which is the strong form of retinol. In England it’s a prescription cream, presumably because there are some important warnings like you should not use it during pregnancy.

There is heaps of evidence to back up its ability to prevent wrinkles and even reverse some superficial ones. That’s born out in anecdotal reports as well.

I buy mine from an online pharmacy and I use a generic brand. Have been using it for 18 months or so and absolutely love it. It’s over the counter in some European countries.

It’s usually less than £10/tube and it lasts a good 2-3 months as you have to really ease in to avoid skin irritation!

Is not glam in the slightest but the results are incredible. I expect it’s had quite a big impact on sali’s hooded eyes as it really seems to firm up the skin.

Reactions: 2
Tretinoin is the vitamin A cream or gel which is the strong form of retinol. In England it’s a prescription cream, presumably because there are some important warnings like you should not use it during pregnancy.

There is heaps of evidence to back up its ability to prevent wrinkles and even reverse some superficial ones. That’s born out in anecdotal reports as well.

I buy mine from an online pharmacy and I use a generic brand. Have been using it for 18 months or so and absolutely love it. It’s over the counter in some European countries.

It’s usually less than £10/tube and it lasts a good 2-3 months as you have to really ease in to avoid skin irritation!

Is not glam in the slightest but the results are incredible. I expect it’s had quite a big impact on sali’s hooded eyes as it really seems to firm up the skin.
Would you mind linking to it?

Is the concealer quite wet? I find a lot of concealers dry down too quickly for me to blend them properly and end up looking really heavy. Am trying out the French chic dark under eye circle look currently 😉
[/QUOTE]

Moi aussi!
It's a lovely texture. Kind of oily creamy-ish. That probably sounds off putting but I mean it in a positive way. Maybe not ideal if you like a matte finish to your face though.

Just thought, it's like a lighter version of benefite erase paste.

Last edited:
Would you mind linking to it?
Sure yes, the pharmacy or some evidence about the results? Or both!

This is a nice summary:

This is more of a practical guide:

I will send you a pm with the pharmacy details!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Not tretinoin, but I’ve been using the Drunk Elephant retinol for a few months (less so when it was very sunny), and I really like it. It’s quite, Ed, feisty though.

Ed! Should have said “er”.

[/QUOTE]
Could you send it to me too, please?

Sure yes, the pharmacy or some evidence about the results? Or both!

This is a nice summary:

This is more of a practical guide:

Me too please!

I’ve sent the link to those that asked. Let me know if ordering goes smoothly.

I want to help anyone who wants some to get it as it’s so amazing and so much more cost effective than some things on the market!

Today’s column is about tinted moisturisers. Do any of you have a fave? There’s one I e been trying by Dear Klairs which is lovely. Very good for dry skin.

Not tretinoin, but I’ve been using the Drunk Elephant retinol for a few months (less so when it was very sunny), and I really like it. It’s quite, Ed, feisty though.

Ed! Should have said “er”.
Haha I agree with Feistiness! I had a trial tube in my birthday gift from space NK but it was too much for me even twice a week heavily buffered!

I use dr sam’s new night serum and my skin just loves it. Such a well put together formula. doesbt irritate my slight rosacea or cause peeling. Feels nourishing too

I might move on to tretinoin. I've been using various retinols for about 3 years and definitely see the effects. Mind you I'm only early 30s but I do always get told I look younger (genetics I know I know!) but I don't have lines or wrinkles. I do have terrible dark circles and hyperpigmentation but nothing some makeup can't fix. I started using Peter Thomas Roth which cost £70ish but now I use The Ordinary which is about a tenner and I actually prefer it. It has a really moisturising effect considering it's a retinol. The PTR one dried me out.

This is my absolute holy grail product:

It comes in small, medium and large sizes and it's not cheap (but also not the most expensive) but lasts months and months as I only use a pea sized amount. It works as a SPF50, moisturiser and CC cream in one. Maybe it would be different depending on skintone but I'm fair and like to have a 'glow' (not orange/tan) and this is perfect for that. I mix one pea sized amount with It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream in a couple of different shades depending on how tan I am, which is slightly "heavier"/more makeuppy, but also has SPF50 in it. That's my go-to base I don't wear foundation ever but with that said I like the "no makeup" look so if you're a glam girl you'd think I'm nuts lol.

For me retinol at night followed by SPF every day is my current routine. I've done 12 and even 20 step skincare routines over the years and I find my skin looks best when I just leave it alone, wash it in warm water, apply my retinol at night and make sure I wear my SPF every day. That was advice given to me by a dermatologist that charged a ridiculous amount for a separate issue I visited her for but that piece of advice I took and ran!

Reactions: 5

I want to help anyone who wants some to get it as it’s so amazing and so much more cost effective than some things on the market!

Today’s column is about tinted moisturisers. Do any of you have a fave? There’s one I e been trying by Dear Klairs which is lovely. Very good for dry skin.
Rodial skin tint is my absolute favourite. I don't get on with Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser which a lot of people love.

Also like estee lauder cc cream but Rodial is the best I've used. Similarly to @lime, I don't really use foundation. Only really in deep dark winter but the heaviest I'll go is rimmell wake me up. Used to use the heaviest double wear but was never comfortable with heavy coverage (fortunately my acne has all but gone so I can get away with much lighter coverage).

Has anyone found any good Aldi skin care wins?

Last edited:

I just tried the beautypie tinted moisturiser today. Have to say that I’m impressed so far. It offers a bit of coverage and glow, holds well and spreads well. No patchiness so far. I’m not a huge tinted moisturiser user as I usually just mix a blob of foundation with facial spf instead but this is the best one I’ve tried so far. I found the bare minerals complexion rescue tinted hydrating gel awful and that one gets a lot of good reviews.

I just tried the beautypie tinted moisturiser today. Have to say that I’m impressed so far. It offers a bit of coverage and glow, holds well and spreads well. No patchiness so far. I’m not a huge tinted moisturiser user as I usually just mix a blob of foundation with facial spf instead but this is the best one I’ve tried so far. I found the bare minerals complexion rescue tinted hydrating gel awful and that one gets a lot of good reviews.

Same, I have dry skin so was really excited for bare minerals complexion rescue. Firstly they colour matched me wrong so it’s awfully orangey/too dark... I’ve worn it in the summer with a tan and it goes quite patchy/melts off!

Hi just been reading through this (came from The SH discussion) & loving the recommendations (y) I've been using tretinoin for a few months after buying it in Spain but wondering where you order yours online from? Can you PM me too please? Thanks so much!

Reactions: 3
Love this thread! I used to follow the advice of SH/CH but can't stand either of them now.

I've suffered from acne on and off for years. Last year I had terrible hormonal acne on my jaw line and following Dr Sam's acne advice videos has completely cleared it - I can't believe the drastic difference! I used an avene cleanser and moisturiser morning and night, acnecide in the morning and avene triacneal in the evening. Much more of a simple, cheaper routine than a lot of stuff recommended by SH/CH. I always get the French pharmacy stuff from Escentual when they have a third off. I've since switched to Dr Sam's cleanser and moisturiser as i loved her advice so much and that works great too.

The only thing I think is missing is something to help with blackheads on my nose. It also gets a little oily in the day but nothing too unmanageable. Any product advice?

Moving onto makeup, what does everyone think of tubing mascara? I had never tried it but bought a Clinique one recently and I find it much more effort to remove although I'm sure I've seen people say it is meant to be easier?

Sorry this is so long!!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.