Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
ladies, Ladies, ladies

I am 47 and have been told by every beauty counter lady that I have amazing skin, what on earth do I use??!!

I do have slight wrinkles around my eyes but 47; but I do remember being 'carded' when I was 36 trying to buy Guinness in Tesco. I am often mistaken for my daughters' sister rather than mother (ooohhh get me) and no-one I have ever met believes my age. (granted i am a fruit loop too)

I am not bragging but setting up my amazing skin care routine................

Approx 25 years ago I was watching This Morning and Judy told the day's guest she looked amazing and what was her secret. The guest was Joan Collins and she simply stated "Nivea"

From that day on this is what I have used - the little blue pot 99p. I have tried Drunk Elephant, Clarins, Elemis et al but nothing makes my skin as happy or better looking than Nivea. Apply liberally every night and on days you dont wear make up (your make-up will slide off or at least wait a good 10 minutes) and voilá lovely skin.

Reactions: 17
I double cleanse every night and remove with a flannel. I usually use a balm or oil cleanser. I always follow up with Pixi Glow Tonic, it’s incredible and then moisturise with Nivea but Nivea soft. The best moisturiser I’ve found for me and so so cheap!

I definitely do need to find a good eye cream though!

Reactions: 2
My skin has improved so much since I chucked out the make up remover face wipes and started properly cleansing and moisturising both AM and PM. I can’t believe how lazy I was before - my skin definitely told the tale.

I love the Rodial and Tropic cleansers.

Reactions: 3
ladies, Ladies, ladies

I am 47 and have been told by every beauty counter lady that I have amazing skin, what on earth do I use??!!

I do have slight wrinkles around my eyes but 47; but I do remember being 'carded' when I was 36 trying to buy Guinness in Tesco. I am often mistaken for my daughters' sister rather than mother (ooohhh get me) and no-one I have ever met believes my age. (granted i am a fruit loop too)

I am not bragging but setting up my amazing skin care routine................

Approx 25 years ago I was watching This Morning and Judy told the day's guest she looked amazing and what was her secret. The guest was Joan Collins and she simply stated "Nivea"

From that day on this is what I have used - the little blue pot 99p. I have tried Drunk Elephant, Clarins, Elemis et al but nothing makes my skin as happy or better looking than Nivea. Apply liberally every night and on days you dont wear make up (your make-up will slide off or at least wait a good 10 minutes) and voilá lovely skin.
My mother has used Nivea all her life and has amazing skin and doesn’t look her age (in her 80’s). She’s always used hand cream as well and still has young looking hands.

Unfortunately I haven’t faired as well! Always looked young for my age upto 40 but soon went downhill from there but I rarely moisturised only ever used water to wash my face also had lots of sunburn over the years so now have a lot of sun damage.

As the saying goes ‘if I had my time again..’

Reactions: 3
The littel blue Nivea pot was a miracle in the previous generation. My mum used it all the time, on her hands, her feet, her face, on me, on her mum, everywhere lol I think she might have used it on the cats too ha ha
But I think the formula has changed because it became so so thick. I can not use it anymore.

My skincare routine is: remove make up with whatever micellar water I have and then apply pure rose water that I bought from the market.
And that's about it really. I use SVR tinted mineral skin as SPF and 'foundation' lol Can I be lazier than this?

Reactions: 4
Afternoon ladies! I use Nivea. Twice a day morning and night, and also use it to prime my face before makeup. Im 30 years old and don't have a line on my face, and get complimented on my skin all the time how its blemish free and smooth! I know 30 sounds very young but I have been a mother since 18, have 3 children 2 of which have additional needs and i work bloody hard and have a stressful life, so in reality I should have a face like a dogs ballbag. Not only that my little granny always used Nivea and swore by it, and it also smells beautiful and makes me feel so fresh when I put it on. I have also tried the Lacura brand from Aldi, its fantastic as well. I also only ever wash my face with water, never soap. A lot of the time a high price tag means nothing with skin care.

Reactions: 6
So for the last 10 days I’ve been using the ordinary.
I wash in the morning with Soap and glory vitamin C face wash which I love. Then I use a few drops of The Ordinary buffet followed by the hydrating moisturiser. Then evening same face wash and serum followed by The ordinary Vitamin C cream. I previously was using The body shop drops of youth and vitamin E creams but didn’t rate them.

What else do I need from The ordinary?? I’d love to get more of their stuff.

Reactions: 1
Natural brands I’ve been using and loving...

68280E60-D6A2-4693-AA3B-7CA7FB4AA9F1.jpeg B66F263F-7B45-4EC9-B3A3-4AEED2DC6343.jpeg A5C191BB-E631-4A98-B7D3-AF71031F5058.jpeg
Salcura's Bioskin Zeoderm Extra caters specifically for those prone to more severe cases of eczema, psoriasis, dermatitis, urticaria and dry skin conditions on the face and body. Fortified with Linseed and Jojoba Oil, the 99% natural moisturiser helps to minimise redness and inflammation, whilst natural volcanic Zeolite defends against free radical damage for long-lasting comfort.

2E62F420-E9D8-4CAC-85B6-7A402CE06D1E.jpeg 27DFD2F7-0C04-4EF5-BCA6-31E4EEE86BEE.jpeg F7C08085-288E-4239-BD8E-28E2F1176BE6.jpeg

Mattifying cream “Iceland moss” has been created for combination and sensitive skin.Organic Iceland moss nourishes skin and helps fight inflammation.Bio Clary Sage fights excessive oiliness of skin and gives it a smooth matte color.The special complex of active ingredients moisturizes skin and promotes its improvement.

I’m allergic to lavender and anything thick like Nivea clogs my skin so badly and leads to breakouts
🤦🏻‍♀️ It’s trial and error but this combination is working for me. 😃

I'm 34 and wrinkle free! I have always had sensitive skin and very spot prone due to pcos, so simplicity is key for me but it works. I use St Ives scrub a couple of times a week, vitamin e face wash or clinique soap the rest of the week. Also Clinique moisture surge gel but at the moment I love the nivea daily essentials oil free moisturiser which I bought in an emergency. I hardly wear make up unless I'm going somewhere. I also use spf on my face and don't sit in the sun as I'm so pale. My mother in law is 65 and looks 85-90, she has always worn loads of make up and is a sun worshipper! She always uses expensive products.

I honestly don't think that products make a difference in the long term. I think the only way to stay wrinkle free is minimal wear and tear to the skin (using eye makeup) and minimal sun damage!

What else do I need from The ordinary?? I’d love to get more of their stuff.
Do you have any acids in your routine? The type would depend on what your skin concerns are. I am no expert but have become pretty obsessed with TO acids.

The mandelic acid on hands is A M A Z I N G. I am actually trialing it with only one hand and everyone can see and feel a huge difference in only four applications. I live in a fairly harsh climate (often -20c winters at night and low humidity) so my hands really take a beating even with good gloves and humidifiers. I am definitely going to try it on my face at some point.

I've also started using TO lactic acid 10% diluted twice a week and this has eliminated the need to use any other kind of harsh exfoliator. My skin feels much tighter and younger the morning after using this stuff. Has not triggered my rosacea at all which is my main concern. Building up tolerance to use it more often. 😬

Got my the ordinary order. Have tried 4 products and it’s a no from me. Don’t like the textures or the feeling on my skin of the hyalronic acid,buffet or the moisturising factors- they feel really drying. The rose hip oil is ok. I’m used to using Clinique moisture surge which instantly plumps out my fine lines and makes me skin look really fresh and hydrated . These don’t do that. A waste of 42 quid 😭

Got my the ordinary order. Have tried 4 products and it’s a no from me. Don’t like the textures or the feeling on my skin of the hyalronic acid,buffet or the moisturising factors- they feel really drying. The rose hip oil is ok. I’m used to using Clinique moisture surge which instantly plumps out my fine lines and makes me skin look really fresh and hydrated . These don’t do that. A waste of 42 quid 😭
You can return them for a full refund if you bought direct from them? I use the products on damp skin and then follow up 20mins later with moisturiser. I found the moisturising factors a very blah basic moisturiser and had to go in with better stuff, for sure.

You can return them for a full refund if you bought direct from them? I use the products on damp skin and then follow up 20mins later with moisturiser. I found the moisturising factors a very blah basic moisturiser and had to go in with better stuff, for sure.
I bought them from Cult Beauty :cry: The moisturising factors reminds me of Clinique dramatically different cream- it just sits on the skin and doesn’t do anything and doesn’t even feel moisturising

I bought them from Cult Beauty :cry: The moisturising factors reminds me of Clinique dramatically different cream- it just sits on the skin and doesn’t do anything and doesn’t even feel moisturising
Yes, it is like that! I think it's formulated for a much younger skin. I never got along with CDD either. I don't know Cult's policies. Do they take returns? Have a sneaky try on damp/wet skin as that was the game changer for me to get them working better. The hyaluronic acid definitely needs a follow up with a good moisturiser, or even mix it in with it if you cannot return these things?

The Ordinary is amazing for well priced high tech serums and toners!
It's actually one of the reasons I stopped following "Lady Hirons": she tried her hardest to not recommend it despite all the products basically being cheap and good dupes of the crazy expensive stuff she peddles nowadays (Tata Harper, Drunk Elephant, etc), and in the end was left with nothing to witch about except "Oh they don't feel as a treat, a woman deserves a treat, and the packaging is not luxurious - this is the same woman who kept saying for years that over a certain price you're paying for packaging :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (Sorry this rant may have belonged in the CH thread).

I'm against foam cleansers as they tend to really dry out the skin with long term use. Even oily skin needs moisture!

Reactions: 5
I have suffered badly with Rosacea pretty much all my adult life and have lost count of how many creams/gels/moisturisers I have used. I also recently bought Rozex from the online service at Superdrug which I have been using for a month or so but not convinced of much impact.

After looking on this forum I decided to try the Argan Organics balm and moisturiser and wow what a difference after a couple of days use. It hasn't cleared it completely but a vast improvement. Sooo pleased to have something which finally works. Thanks for the recommendation 😄
I used the roseax and it did nothing! I’m not convinced my redness is roseacea. My redness is very much a reactive redness I.e - being too hot, alcohol, being unwell etc. Apparently there is nothing I can do but I like to try new things.

Is the balm just used as a moisturiser??

I didn’t want to go off topic on the Sali Hughes thread but I’m keen to pick the brains of those who post on there because they are wonderfully knowledgeable and entertaining and I’d like to pin them down for their expertise!

I’ve placed my first order for Glossier – wish I’d asked around here cause now I’ve ordered I see there’s a referral scheme. A random American woman has my £10 credit.

I’ve ordered boy brow, stretch concealer and cloudpaint. Keen to try skin care but I had a sort through my shoe box full of skin care samples and I’ve banned myself from buying anything new until I’ve used them all up.

Last edited:
Ha! Reporting in ..... I don't know a great deal but I'll help if I can :D

Also reporting in. Haven’t tried much from Glossier, just a Play eyeliner, which is actually pretty good. Decent staying power. I also inherited a bottle of their fragrance which is ok but has zero staying power.

Yes! Love reading both of your posts!

Also reporting in. Haven’t tried much from Glossier, just a Play eyeliner, which is actually pretty good. Decent staying power. I also inherited a bottle of their fragrance which is ok but has zero staying power.
ahh, I've requested that as my sample. I got the Beauty Pie samples too. Wasn't wild on any of them and similarly they didn't last well on me. The cashmere one had longest staying power but wouldn't rush to buy them.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.