Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Do you get your tretinoin from a Derm, or online?
Online. I have seen suggestion, I think from Caroline Hirons, to ask your GP nicely to write you a prescription. I worry about being matched out the door though!

Reactions: 1
Love this thread. We all have a huge collective knowledge of skincare and makeup.

I overdid things with the ordinary. Had to strip it all back. Think I was using 4 serums each at am and pm... 🤔

I actually really like beauty pie! Love the bit C, the jeju cleanser, Dr glycolic and the ceremides capsules. Latter like a swaddling blanket.

Has anyone much experience with using cervave cream on their face? I read somewhere it's full of ceremides. They're my new obsession for my dry skin.
I've used their PM cream in a tube and a thicker one in a tub. Loved them both, no irritation or any other reactions. Highly recommend!

Regarding the Ordinary, I'd only repurchase the niacinamide zinc serum and the squalane oil (this lasts ages). The hyaluronic serum was "meh", as was the Buffet, the azelaic acid would immediately reduce redness, but this effect would go away as soon as I'd put something over it and I didn't see any lasting improvement.

I was watching QVC and they were flogging this device - a 'glo pro' (£150) - that was a roller with lots of needles. (Is this microdermaabrasion? I've no idea tbh). But you sort of roll your skin to make tiny holes then when you put on your product in sinks in better. Plus the sort of 'scarification' on a small scale encourages skin renewall or something like that.
Now apologies to anyone here who does this and it is good but I was horrified. Treating your face as this difficult 'thing' to be tackled so brutally with a specially invented device. And I can't believe puncturing your skin constantly is what nature intended - I'm sure if serums etc soak in easier then other nasties are getting in too.
Again apologies if I've totally missed the point. It just actually made me a bit sad that we as women are encouraged to believe this is normal. And the before and after pictures looked almost the same anyway.

Sorry to carry on ranting. But do we really want serums etc to sink in very deeply? I want mine to sit on my skin. I don't know enough of what is in products to be comfortable with them going subdermal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I’ve sent the link to those that asked. Let me know if ordering goes smoothly.

I want to help anyone who wants some to get it as it’s so amazing and so much more cost effective than some things on the market!

Today’s column is about tinted moisturisers. Do any of you have a fave? There’s one I e been trying by Dear Klairs which is lovely. Very good for dry skin.
If you could send me the link too please, I’d be hugely grateful! Feeling a bit flummoxed by what I’m supposed to do / use for my skin. Thank god for this thread!

I might move on to tretinoin. I've been using various retinols for about 3 years and definitely see the effects. Mind you I'm only early 30s but I do always get told I look younger (genetics I know I know!) but I don't have lines or wrinkles. I do have terrible dark circles and hyperpigmentation but nothing some makeup can't fix. I started using Peter Thomas Roth which cost £70ish but now I use The Ordinary which is about a tenner and I actually prefer it. It has a really moisturising effect considering it's a retinol. The PTR one dried me out.

This is my absolute holy grail product:

It comes in small, medium and large sizes and it's not cheap (but also not the most expensive) but lasts months and months as I only use a pea sized amount. It works as a SPF50, moisturiser and CC cream in one. Maybe it would be different depending on skintone but I'm fair and like to have a 'glow' (not orange/tan) and this is perfect for that. I mix one pea sized amount with It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream in a couple of different shades depending on how tan I am, which is slightly "heavier"/more makeuppy, but also has SPF50 in it. That's my go-to base I don't wear foundation ever but with that said I like the "no makeup" look so if you're a glam girl you'd think I'm nuts lol.

For me retinol at night followed by SPF every day is my current routine. I've done 12 and even 20 step skincare routines over the years and I find my skin looks best when I just leave it alone, wash it in warm water, apply my retinol at night and make sure I wear my SPF every day. That was advice given to me by a dermatologist that charged a ridiculous amount for a separate issue I visited her for but that piece of advice I took and ran!
I might move on to tretinoin. I've been using various retinols for about 3 years and definitely see the effects. Mind you I'm only early 30s but I do always get told I look younger (genetics I know I know!) but I don't have lines or wrinkles. I do have terrible dark circles and hyperpigmentation but nothing some makeup can't fix. I started using Peter Thomas Roth which cost £70ish but now I use The Ordinary which is about a tenner and I actually prefer it. It has a really moisturising effect considering it's a retinol. The PTR one dried me out.

This is my absolute holy grail product:

It comes in small, medium and large sizes and it's not cheap (but also not the most expensive) but lasts months and months as I only use a pea sized amount. It works as a SPF50, moisturiser and CC cream in one. Maybe it would be different depending on skintone but I'm fair and like to have a 'glow' (not orange/tan) and this is perfect for that. I mix one pea sized amount with It Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream in a couple of different shades depending on how tan I am, which is slightly "heavier"/more makeuppy, but also has SPF50 in it. That's my go-to base I don't wear foundation ever but with that said I like the "no makeup" look so if you're a glam girl you'd think I'm nuts lol.

For me retinol at night followed by SPF every day is my current routine. I've done 12 and even 20 step skincare routines over the years and I find my skin looks best when I just leave it alone, wash it in warm water, apply my retinol at night and make sure I wear my SPF every day. That was advice given to me by a dermatologist that charged a ridiculous amount for a separate issue I visited her for but that piece of advice I took and ran!
Absolutely love Sunsense. Haven’t used with IT cosmetics cc cream though - that’s a great tip. Thanks!

I just tried the beautypie tinted moisturiser today. Have to say that I’m impressed so far. It offers a bit of coverage and glow, holds well and spreads well. No patchiness so far. I’m not a huge tinted moisturiser user as I usually just mix a blob of foundation with facial spf instead but this is the best one I’ve tried so far. I found the bare minerals complexion rescue tinted hydrating gel awful and that one gets a lot of good reviews.
I agree with everyone who has said BP products are hit & miss. I do like their perfumes but the staying power isn’t great. I’ve been eyeing up the tinted moisturiser but was reluctant to buy more given I’ve got two on the go - L Mercier & Nars - neither of which I like much. One BP product I really rate but haven’t seen mentioned are the super strobe drops. They sound hideous but a smidge mixed with foundation or tinted moisturiser gives a hint of glow that seems to make a difference (at least for me) when I’m feeling absolutely knackered.

Love this thread! I used to follow the advice of SH/CH but can't stand either of them now.

I've suffered from acne on and off for years. Last year I had terrible hormonal acne on my jaw line and following Dr Sam's acne advice videos has completely cleared it - I can't believe the drastic difference! I used an avene cleanser and moisturiser morning and night, acnecide in the morning and avene triacneal in the evening. Much more of a simple, cheaper routine than a lot of stuff recommended by SH/CH. I always get the French pharmacy stuff from Escentual when they have a third off. I've since switched to Dr Sam's cleanser and moisturiser as i loved her advice so much and that works great too.

The only thing I think is missing is something to help with blackheads on my nose. It also gets a little oily in the day but nothing too unmanageable. Any product advice?

Moving onto makeup, what does everyone think of tubing mascara? I had never tried it but bought a Clinique one recently and I find it much more effort to remove although I'm sure I've seen people say it is meant to be easier?

Sorry this is so long!!
The best tubing mascara I ever used was Cover Girl professional mascara. Was dirt cheap but sadly CG have never been available in the U.K. - I used to buy it off eBay from Aussie or American sellers. After being around for yonks it was suddenly discontinued and I’ve never really found a tubing mascara that compares. I don’t really rate Blink as it doesn’t have the required oomph so I tend to use a cheap mascara and then pop a nyx waterproof coat over the top to get it to stay put. Of course, that means I need a decent remover to get it off but as others have mentioned here the japanfusion cleanser isn’t too bad when you can’t be bothered with a separate cleanser for eye make up (who can?)

Last edited:
Yes I like those super strobe drops. They’re nicely dewy.

for a tinted moisturiser I absolutely love the Dear Klairs (forget the exact name) it’s just really subtle and moisturising and healthy looking. It’s about £16 from YesStyle when they run their offers (which seems to be every other week)

Can anyone give an honest review on ‘the ordinary’ skin care products and foundation? I’ve been tempted a couple of times but stopped myself 🤔 ..

Also did anyone find the pixie glow tonic as underwhelming as I did? The only glow was the reddening and rash left from using it!!
Pixi Glow was useless for me! I’ve used the Ordinary foundation (the serum one). The formula is ok, the packaging is awful (has a pump and the texture is too watery to work well with a pump). Having said that I bought it when the product was just released so packaging may have changed since.

Sorry everyone for taking over this thread, I’m just very excited to have found it 😂

Yes I like those super strobe drops. They’re nicely dewy.

for a tinted moisturiser I absolutely love the Dear Klairs (forget the exact name) it’s just really subtle and moisturising and healthy looking. It’s about £16 from YesStyle when they run their offers (which seems to be every other week)
@Carryonnursing I can’t seem to pm you either & it’s bothering me 😕

Reactions: 2
I was watching QVC and they were flogging this device - a 'glo pro' (£150) - that was a roller with lots of needles. (Is this microdermaabrasion? I've no idea tbh). But you sort of roll your skin to make tiny holes then when you put on your product in sinks in better. Plus the sort of 'scarification' on a small scale encourages skin renewall or something like that.
Now apologies to anyone here who does this and it is good but I was horrified. Treating your face as this difficult 'thing' to be tackled so brutally with a specially invented device. And I can't believe puncturing your skin constantly is what nature intended - I'm sure if serums etc soak in easier then other nasties are getting in too.
Again apologies if I've totally missed the point. It just actually made me a bit sad that we as women are encouraged to believe this is normal. And the before and after pictures looked almost the same anyway.

Sorry to carry on ranting. But do we really want serums etc to sink in very deeply? I want mine to sit on my skin. I don't know enough of what is in products to be comfortable with them going subdermal.
It’s microneedling rather than microdermabrasion. Just another home version of a salon/dermatologist treatment. Although I agree that the idea of puncturing skin to facilitate the better absorption of products sounds a bit pseudo-sciencey, I’ve been tempted to try it (you can buy basic microneedling wands really cheaply, closer to £15 than £150) to treat old acne scars which give my chin a really craggy appearance. I hate them.

Reactions: 3
hi,
I'm really after some help.
I'm 45 very nearly 46. In my 20s and 30s i had lovely skin, but i used expensive products,had monthly facials, zero stress etc.
For the last few years I've really let myself go.
I've now got wrinkles, spots, dry skin, congestion, enlarges pores, random hairs - all set for halloween!

i really want to sort myself out, because quite frankly its making me depressed and i think some self care will make me look and feel better.

id really like to use non plastic, animal friendly, kind products.

can someone advise me? i feel clueless.
thank you.
If it makes you feel any better I’m in the same boat. It’s exhausting, isn’t it! Check out @carryonnursing’s comment further up this thread with recommended products and what they do. It’s a great start.

• Heart
If it makes you feel any better I’m in the same boat. It’s exhausting, isn’t it! Check out @carryonnursing’s comment further up this thread with recommended products and what they do. It’s a great start.
Same here tbh. I think it is the approach to menopause (in my case anyway) that really messes with your head amongst other things. I am fine now but for a while felt totally adrift regarding my looks after being fine - almost overnight. My body felt quite alien and I just forgot how to look 'nice', clothes, face, hair, everything. I lost complete confidence. I suspect (I obviously don't know) that you are looking at yourself hypercritically and you haven't changed much. Your mind is terribly good at playing games. It is sort of like puberty all over again. I then started thinking I wasn't even worth looking after so it got worse.
In my case it was baby steps back to self care - dying my hair again after letting it get grey roots, drinking lots of water to rehydrate, cheapy face masks, just getting into a routine again (amongst other little things).
Good luck!

Reactions: 8
Great advice from @Jelly Bean there. I’m in my early 40s and have recently gained a ton of weight, much of it in my face (but most around my middle). Nothing fits any more, and I really sympathise on the whole thing, @TescoSainsburys. Hang in there.

Reactions: 5
My health (including my skin and hair) vastly improved after I started taking digestive enzymes. It’s not talked about enough in my opinion - if food isn’t digested properly it can wreak all kinds of havoc throughout your body, and you can think you have gained weight around your middle but a lot of it is basically permanent bloating. A simple check is first thing in the morning (before eating or drinking), mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of cold water. Drink it and if you haven’t burped within three minutes, it is worth looking into your stomach acid levels. Apparently stomach acid can weaken as you get older so it makes sense.

Also thank you to everyone who recommended the shampoo scalp massager brush - it really works.

I heard great things about the dear klaris range. Trying by use stuff up though - as part of my new anti-influencer regime. Unfortunately got a tube of beauty pie tinted moisturiser which did not suit me one bit, too oily, too dark (shade: light) and some erborian cc stuff that was too chalky.

That's interesting about the digestive enzymes, Pineapple Queen. I'm about to hit menopause, so just can't wait to see what my hormones have in store.

Have to recommend Lush ultrabland cleanser it’s like butter and so gentle amazing on my eczema ridden skin!!

For those asking about tretinoin I use dermatica. I'm not going to say the results are amazing and incredible but at the moment I think it's the best I can do!

For anyone with spot prone and oily skin I can really reccomend the ordinary niacinamide and 100% squalane. I have been using for 2 weeks and my skin is the best it's ever been. I've just been using them with normal cleanser or face scrub. With the squalane you only need a tiny bit and I only use if my skin feels dry.

Feed back on Demitica tret - it's lovely. I'd used the standard tube you buy in spain (retrides) and peeled horrifically. Not sure what the difference is but I haven't had the dreaded tret face. Purging as I would of expected, I had a lot of spots under the skin.
Currently using every 3 days but going to build up to every two this week.
My plan is the get my face used to the tret using this and then move over to the cheaper retrides when my skin has acclimatized.

At the moment I'm just using creave cleanser and moisturiser. I'm thinking of adding a hado labo serum but waiting till i'm using the dermitica daily.

But yeah, thumbs up from me. £20 a month is a bit steep tough, when you can buy a tube of tret online for what £10

On another note. Just been to my local TkMaxx and picked up a foreo luna mini for £39,99. They had the bigger one for £60
Worth a look if you're thinking of buying them. Put one away for my daughters Christmas.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.