Actually Honest - skin care and make up reviews

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have you tried the Buffet with Copper included in it? it's fantastic, as is the Glycolic Acid Toner
Not yet. Is it worth the extra splurge? I had a ton of stuff in my cart on their site (for the sale), but lost it all so I have to refill it again. 😏🥳

For skincare nerds, the YouTube channel Beauty Within is worth checking out. Their latest video is affordable dupes for Sephora’s best selling high end products (drunk elephant, tatcha etc) - so informative and well presented.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Does anyone have any recommendations for a straightening brush? Looking to get one for my mum for Christmas. She had a stroke and is finding doing her hair tricky. She has fine, thing hair. So I’m thinking she can air dry and use a brush as less fiddly than straightening it.
ideally I’d like to keep it under £50. As nice as the god glide is, I don’t want to spend £130 on something that doesn’t work for her.

Reactions: 1
Love this thread 😍 You all know so much!

Can anyone recommend a good concealer please? I have a lot of thread veins on my cheeks and I use estee lauder double wear foundation. That used to cover them up but as I’ve got older my skin looks old if I put my foundation on like I used to 🙁
Tried just putting extra on the bits that need it but its not covering the veins anymore.

I had my makeup done professionally earlier this year for a wedding and my skin looked flawless but I’ve asked the mua what she used but for some reason she just ignores that question and says oh yeah your skin looked amazing.
I know she used nars foundation but she used a lot of concealer first so if anybody can help 🙏

You might get on well with dermablend. It covers everything! I use it when my acne flairs have died town to that sort of grey purple stage. I use a fluffy-ish brush to sheer it out. A little goes a loooooong way.
my friends love the nars creamy concealer. I also like the glossier one in a pot.
mom the budget side, I rate the makeup revolution one and the collection 2000 one. Ive picked both up when skint and been suitably impressed.

Also poor show from the MUA.

Reactions: 2

Can anyone recommend a good concealer please? I have a lot of thread veins on my cheeks and I use estee lauder double wear foundation. That used to cover them up but as I’ve got older my skin looks old if I put my foundation on like I used to 🙁
Tried just putting extra on the bits that need it but its not covering the veins anymore.

I had my makeup done professionally earlier this year for a wedding and my skin looked flawless but I’ve asked the mua what she used but for some reason she just ignores that question and says oh yeah your skin looked amazing.
I know she used nars foundation but she used a lot of concealer first so if anybody can help 🙏
Tarte shape tape covers everything but can dry a bit chalky/settle in creases.
Laura Mercier Secret camouflage - comes in a compact with 2 colours so you can mix to your desired shade.
Nars creamy as mentioned above.

You might get on well with dermablend. It covers everything! I use it when my acne flairs have died town to that sort of grey purple stage. I use a fluffy-ish brush to sheer it out. A little goes a loooooong way.
my friends love the nars creamy concealer. I also like the glossier one in a pot.
mom the budget side, I rate the makeup revolution one and the collection 2000 one. Ive picked both up when skint and been suitably impressed.

Also poor show from the MUA.
Never even thought of dermablend.
I use a few bits from makeup revolution so I’ll give that a go. Its cheap enough to just give away if its no good.
Thanks for your help 😊

Tbf she is a really lovely girl so dont know why she wont tell me! I had my makeup done by another girl a few weeks ago and before I’d even left the studio she’d txt me what concealer, foundation and powder she’d used without me even asking. But I wasnt that impressed with the concealer she used

Tarte shape tape covers everything but can dry a bit chalky/settle in creases.
Laura Mercier Secret camouflage - comes in a compact with 2 colours so you can mix to your desired shade.
Nars creamy as mentioned above.
Nars sounds like a good option then. Seen as 2 of you have mentioned it.
Thanks for your help 😊

I'm not a massive fan of the nars one but as above a lot of people love it. Benefit erase paste (If they still do it) is good and thick but moist too so it doesn't dry out. Also like the glossier one but not sure if it would give you enough coverage. I really rate it for covering faded acne scar's and evening out my under eye.

Oh, also rodial (the one in the compact) is great. Depending on your colour you might get it cheaper from their outlet on the website. It's not in many places to try though.

I love the catrice liquid camouflage concealer. It’s a thin formula, covers anything and everything and once set, does not budge
https://www.justmylook.com/catrice-cosmetics-liquid-camouflage-high-coverage-concealer-5ml-p10876

I second @lipsticktaser's post! Vichy dermablend!

I usually use NARS creamy concealer but had to pick up a drugstore one the other day and got Maybelline FIT. I've only used it to spot cover a blemish but wow I was pleasantly surprised at the coverage! Stayed on all day without even setting. Highly recommend.

anything by origins! especially their drink up intensive mask & night a mins cream, I have very dry skin and these products work wonders

Hands down cannot beat the ordinary.

I have a skin care regime from them but also use body shop cleansing balm and then run a pad with miceller water over the top. I also use nip & fab glyclonic cleanser in the morning.
do you know which product of theirs (the ordinary) is best for dry skin? thank you!

I regularly suffer from break outs, and I’m especially prone to whiteheads... can anyone recommend a product that you can apply to spots directly to stop them getting worse? 🙏

I regularly suffer from break outs, and I’m especially prone to whiteheads... can anyone recommend a product that you can apply to spots directly to stop them getting worse? 🙏
salicylic acid and those patches you can get from COSRX etc. On YesStyle.

You can get these pads called stridex from America I’m sure you could find some on eBay. The red ones are very gentle and have no alcohol and a tub lasts for years because you can cut the pads up. You just cut a bit off and hold it against the spot for a few mins, repeat every couple of hours. Then overnight put one of those patches on.

then for prevention, once or twice a week or every day if your skin can handle it you can sweep a stridex pad over your spot prone areas after cleansing.

what sort of cleanser do you use? You could try a clay base or an oil cleanse to try to keep the pores clear of potential gunk.

Some people also have luck with niacinamide sérums and I really like the one from Holy Snails called shark sauce. It’s a bit pricey tho. You could try using the cerave lotion in a bottle as a moisturiser as it’s quite light and has niacinamide but it is very soothing.

Sorry to double post but I think I have sent the link for Tretinoin to everyone who has asked - please remind me if I have missed anyone!

If anyone orders from there would you add to this thread to say if it was a success or not? Ordering pharmacy stuff online can feel a bit dodge so it would be nice for others to feel comfortable about it! Or if there are any problems we can all know about them.

honestly if I wasn’t worried about it being illegal I would just do a bulk order and send it on to you guys at cost price but I’m scared I would get arrested for distributing creams without a license or something 😂

Last edited:
salicylic acid and those patches you can get from COSRX etc. On YesStyle.

You can get these pads called stridex from America I’m sure you could find some on eBay. The red ones are very gentle and have no alcohol and a tub lasts for years because you can cut the pads up. You just cut a bit off and hold it against the spot for a few mins, repeat every couple of hours. Then overnight put one of those patches on.

then for prevention, once or twice a week or every day if your skin can handle it you can sweep a stridex pad over your spot prone areas after cleansing.

what sort of cleanser do you use? You could try a clay base or an oil cleanse to try to keep the pores clear of potential gunk.

Some people also have luck with niacinamide sérums and I really like the one from Holy Snails called shark sauce. It’s a bit pricey tho. You could try using the cerave lotion in a bottle as a moisturiser as it’s quite light and has niacinamide but it is very soothing.

Sorry to double post but I think I have sent the link for Tretinoin to everyone who has asked - please remind me if I have missed anyone!

If anyone orders from there would you add to this thread to say if it was a success or not? Ordering pharmacy stuff online can feel a bit dodge so it would be nice for others to feel comfortable about it! Or if there are any problems we can all know about them.

honestly if I wasn’t worried about it being illegal I would just do a bulk order and send it on to you guys at cost price but I’m scared I would get arrested for distributing creams without a license or something 😂
Thx for your response. I’ve got very oily skin. I use neostrata glycolic wash... I sometimes use Pixi Glow Tonic too to cleanse. I’ll look into your recommendations, thank you.
The skincare world is a mine field. And I’m interested in not overloading my skin with too many products.

If you want a truly simple solution and you are willing to commit, you could try retinol with the aim of moving to Tretinoin. If you struggle with acne, your GP may be willing to prescribe Tretinoin.

A typical streamlined anti-ageing and anti-acne routine would be:

AM:
Cleanse with a low pH cleanser (COSRx low pH morning cleanser, CeraVe hydrating cleanser for example)
Moisturise with a very mild moisturiser with few ingredients and possibly water based if you have oily skin even after washing (clinique dramatically different moisturising gel, Hada Labo Tokyo Skin plumping gel cream)
Sun protection (ELTA MD UV clear, Biore Aqua riche)

PM:
Oil cleanse to remove sunscreen and make up (Kose deep cleansing oil cleanser, Simple hydrating cleansing oil)
Same moisturiser as morning
Tretinoin or retinol product (2-3 days a week)
On off days from Tretinoin (if your skin isn't too sore) Stridex red pad swept across the acne prone areas
Another layer of moisturiser just before bed if your skin needs it.

Have a couple of days per week when you don't use either the Tretinoin/Retinol or Stridex pads so your skin can relax

Retinol and Tretinoin can cause a 'purge' which is when your skin has a breakout and gets all the gunk out as it gets used to the treatment and the skin cells turn over more quickly. The it usually settles and mellows out!

Do you know all about it or would you like more info?

@midnightrose sorry I should have also said the glycolic cleanser might be a bit harsh if you were to start retinol which is why is recommended others.

Also should have said that if your skin is oily but feels sore or dehydrated you can also try serums and gels such as Benton Aloe Propolis soothing gel. That would come after cleansing and before moisturising

Last edited:
Honestly, wouldn't rate the Cosrx good morning cleanser. It's subjective, but I found it stung my eyes and was quite stripping, reminded me more of the cheapest "acne" cleansers from back in the day. Superdrug has now a wide range of basic cleansers, for something more easy to pick up, not sure about the ph etc though.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.