A Pinch of Nom - Kay Featherstone and Kate Allinson

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I still can’t get over how big they are considering what they promote!!!

I am shook seeing the photos of them, I have their book and planner and had no idea! I was excited for the recipe book, after years of slimming world recipes that all end up tasting of bland tinned tomato and self deprivation. But it’s disappointing, I haven’t really been gripped by any of the meals in their book and as someone else said there’s a lot of faffing with artificial stuff that is trying to mimic the real thing (Quark in lasagna anyone? 🤢). It ends up being disappointing, you’d be better off using the syns/calories and eating a meal that satisfies you.

Although I do really like the sticky chicken recipe!
Get the 2 chubby cubs book
They practise what they preach

Reactions: 7
I am shook seeing the photos of them, I have their book and planner and had no idea! I was excited for the recipe book, after years of slimming world recipes that all end up tasting of bland tinned tomato and self deprivation. But it’s disappointing, I haven’t really been gripped by any of the meals in their book and as someone else said there’s a lot of faffing with artificial stuff that is trying to mimic the real thing (Quark in lasagna anyone? 🤢). It ends up being disappointing, you’d be better off using the syns/calories and eating a meal that satisfies you.

Although I do really like the sticky chicken recipe!
Totally agree would rather have a smaller amount of something really tasty and satisfying. It’s like when you ask someone how is a restaurant/takeaway and they’re like ‘oh it’s great, you get loads!’ And you’re like yes but what about the quality of the food 😂

Quark in lasagne is an abomination.

Reactions: 9
Totally agree would rather have a smaller amount of something really tasty and satisfying. It’s like when you ask someone how is a restaurant/takeaway and they’re like ‘oh it’s great, you get loads!’ And you’re like yes but what about the quality of the food 😂

Quark in lasagne is an abomination.
that’s exactly it! I’d rather make a proper lasagna sauce, have a small portion and syn it and fill up on my half plate of speed salad or veg. Feeling like I’ve had a nice meal, full up and won’t need to snack after. If I look forward to dinner all day and it turns out tit then I feel like I need to pick for the rest of the evening and that’s when the calories mount up 🤣

Get the 2 chubby cubs book
They practise what they preach
I do follow them on fb and love their hilarious posts, but for me the food looks too much, I know they’ve lost weight but it’s like they cheat the system so they can eat loads 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 4
that’s exactly it! I’d rather make a proper lasagna sauce, have a small portion and syn it and fill up on my half plate of speed salad or veg. Feeling like I’ve had a nice meal, full up and won’t need to snack after. If I look forward to dinner all day and it turns out tit then I feel like I need to pick for the rest of the evening and that’s when the calories mount up 🤣

I do follow them on fb and love their hilarious posts, but for me the food looks too much, I know they’ve lost weight but it’s like they cheat the system so they can eat loads 🤣
But it's worked for them,they don't use any crap substitute food either. The oh the humanity chicken is lovely.
Just reduce the portion if they're too big for you

Reactions: 1

That’s it, we’re having lasagne for dinner now 😂 it doesn’t work out too bad if you use your Healthy A anyway, think about 8 syns for mine last time I worked it out. I think a lot of people are obsessed with keeping all their meals free then using syns for treats. I’d rather have a portion of lasagne with proper bechemel and cooked with red wine than have a ‘syn free’ one which just isn’t the same then eat a load of sugary crap afterwards cos like you say it’s not satisfying!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I feel like the best pinch of nom recipes aren’t ever put in the books, the two we love are the creamy red pepper roasted pasta and the bolognese risotto.

Reactions: 2
I have both of their books and quite like a few of their recipes ; I am back on the SW bandwagon. But I refuse to buy frylight and fake butter and quark is the most revolting item of food known to man ..

I did not realise how massive these 2 are though ! Christ on a bike, I’m taking slimming advice from these 2?!

• Haha
Who uses the non-word ‘nom’ anyway in 2020? First heard it, well saw it on FB back in 2009 or so and it irritated me then when people would go out for dinner and write ‘om nom nom’ on pics. Usually the same ‘huns’ who wrote ‘witwoo’ on their good looking mates’ pics!

• Haha
TLDR: the pon facebook group is run by idiots who kick you out if you don't toe the party line.

Ugh, I just need somewhere is have a rant about this. I actually quite like the pinch of nom recipes. I bought the books before I realised they were potentially stolen or that they were both even bigger than I am, but i do use them regularly and they are pretty nice (although need to up the seasonsing in some, especially the curries). I've also been a member of the FB group for probably about 6 months, just because i like to post my pictures and answer people's cookjng questions. I'm not even on SW, just trying to eat healthier (never used quark in my life).

I'd been slightly irritated with the group for a while, due to the cultish fanaticism that is underlying there. Some of then eat pinch of nom literally every single day of the week. There were a number of photos I tried to post which never got approved by the admins, but never any explanation as to why it just disappeared. I did get some clmment deleted with an explanation because it had a swear in it. Not abusive, just emphatic, but fair enough. But the comment just got deleted, no more said. I continued to contribute both my own posts and comment attempting to help others

So yesterday, someone asked for a buttermilk pancake recipe and I sent a link to the Slimming Eats recipe for pancakes. Happened to be scrolling later and noticed my comment had been deleted, but i got no notification for it, just disappeared. This really irritated me, so i posted another comment saying that "I thought this group was about supporting others, not pretending no other websites with recipes even exist". Then a separate comment either the same link. Less than ten minutes later, the link comment was deleted, this time I got a notification. Next thing I know, I go on FB this morning for a browse, notice that no posts from that group are appearing on my feed. I'VE BEEN BLOCKED. For daring to question the great and powerful PON.

Sorry this got so long, I'm just irrationally annoyed about it, and this is the only place I can find that seems to have real people talking about the realities of them two, not just starry eyed "OMG UR SO BRILLIANT, HOW MANY SYNS IN A BUCKET OF QUARK, IF I ROLL A SCOTCH EGG IN RAW SMASH ITS AMAHZING AND HAS NO CALORIES". I bought their book, they have my money already, can I not just talk like a real person on a fb group without getting kicked out by a load of SW zombies, because they're cranky from not getting enough hifi bars.

• Wow
Reactions: 23
TLDR: the pon facebook group is run by idiots who kick you out if you don't toe the party line.

Ugh, I just need somewhere is have a rant about this. I actually quite like the pinch of nom recipes. I bought the books before I realised they were potentially stolen or that they were both even bigger than I am, but i do use them regularly and they are pretty nice (although need to up the seasonsing in some, especially the curries). I've also been a member of the FB group for probably about 6 months, just because i like to post my pictures and answer people's cookjng questions. I'm not even on SW, just trying to eat healthier (never used quark in my life).

I'd been slightly irritated with the group for a while, due to the cultish fanaticism that is underlying there. Some of then eat pinch of nom literally every single day of the week. There were a number of photos I tried to post which never got approved by the admins, but never any explanation as to why it just disappeared. I did get some clmment deleted with an explanation because it had a swear in it. Not abusive, just emphatic, but fair enough. But the comment just got deleted, no more said. I continued to contribute both my own posts and comment attempting to help others

So yesterday, someone asked for a buttermilk pancake recipe and I sent a link to the Slimming Eats recipe for pancakes. Happened to be scrolling later and noticed my comment had been deleted, but i got no notification for it, just disappeared. This really irritated me, so i posted another comment saying that "I thought this group was about supporting others, not pretending no other websites with recipes even exist". Then a separate comment either the same link. Less than ten minutes later, the link comment was deleted, this time I got a notification. Next thing I know, I go on FB this morning for a browse, notice that no posts from that group are appearing on my feed. I'VE BEEN BLOCKED. For daring to question the great and powerful PON.

Sorry this got so long, I'm just irrationally annoyed about it, and this is the only place I can find that seems to have real people talking about the realities of them two, not just starry eyed "OMG UR SO BRILLIANT, HOW MANY SYNS IN A BUCKET OF QUARK, IF I ROLL A SCOTCH EGG IN RAW SMASH ITS AMAHZING AND HAS NO CALORIES". I bought their book, they have my money already, can I not just talk like a real person on a fb group without getting kicked out by a load of SW zombies, because they're cranky from not getting enough hifi bars.
I’ve never commented on the Facebook group but I am a member of it and agree it’s cult like. I know the whole point is to stick to plan/lose weight but it’s like they lose their taste buds and will replace say a small amount of cream cheese with a tit ton of quark or yoghurt which always splits but they don’t mind CoS iT’s FrRe

Slimming Eats is far superior, I love her recipes! We had the teriyaki salmon last night. If I do ever get a PON recipe up, my laptop cannot cope with the amount of crap going on on the page e.g. multiple ads and a video which is off putting. I know it’s probably by rubbish laptop but I don’t have this problem with Slimming Eats or Chubby Cubs so they win every time!

My PON book now lives in the states with my Auntie who does WW. Explaining to the word ‘Nom’ to her was hard work 🤣 she was like ‘so it’s a British word??’ 😂🤦‍♀️

The Facebook group moderators are very power hungry. They must sit on their device every day ready to copy and paste their usual drivel.

I got blocked after pointing out that Gravy Granules made up was considerably less calories, salt and faff that blitzing Red Onions and OXO Cubes for the sake of 1.5 syns 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 12
The Facebook group moderators are very power hungry. They must sit on their device every day ready to copy and paste their usual drivel.
‘Just a reminder free speech is not allowed o
I got blocked after pointing out that Gravy Granules made up was considerably less calories, salt and faff that blitzing Red Onions and OXO Cubes for the sake of 1.5 syns 😂
The salt content in some of the recipes is in insane!

Reactions: 6
When i first joined i was so close to pointing out that a scotch egg made with Smash or cous cous has the same or more calories than one made with breadcrumbs, but i had heard other stories like this so kept my trap shut. But now I'm banned anyway, my trap is free (although, just had a pitta bread for lunch, A MILLION SYNS)

When i first joined i was so close to pointing out that a scotch egg made with Smash or cous cous has the same or more calories than one made with breadcrumbs, but i had heard other stories like this so kept my trap shut. But now I'm banned anyway, my trap is free (although, just had a pitta bread for lunch, A MILLION SYNS)
Lol, someone from my SW group was so dedicated she once cut off a part of her wholemeal pitta bread to make it 60g, then had half a plate of 'syn free' chips with it 😂😂😂😂 I don't go anymore but I'm still a member of my local SW's fb group. Some of the shite they eat 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 4
That’s one thing I really hate about slimming world!! Generally speaking it’s just “healthy eating” but some of the weirdos that do it.... my god!! Never ever understood the quark thing or primula 🤢🤢 I agree with some of the above comments though about slimming eats - I think she’s amazing! I always look on her website even when I’m not following SW! I like that she uses proper ingredients and just says to syn them :)

The whole problem I have with groups like weight watcher and slimming world is
1) they don't actually teach people about proper nutrition so its hard to keep weight off of you stop going and
2) they basically don't really want you to lose weight because if everyone did, their business would collapse.
I tend to use recipes on slimmingeats and pinch of nom, because they're more calorie conscious and include lots of veg, but no way am I going to start guzzling muller light yogurt and making ready brek pancakes beacause "omg syn free!"

Reactions: 11
To everyone saying they hate the word nom. Imagine being nicknamed it when you meet your new boyfriends best friend for the first time ever (because three silabyls are ‘a bit long’). And despite the fact you literally BEG for something else, it sticks, and it spreads, and for the next 5 years of your life everyone you know, including your boss, calls you Nom. 👋🏻🤣

And also not really relevant but my friend lost 7st on Slimming World and became a consultant. Even now she’s gained all the weight back she genuinely doesn’t understand that eating 750g of Mullerlight every day as a snack isn’t good for you. She genuinely thinks that she isn’t binge eating because it’s a ‘healthy swap’ - it’s such a dangerous thing to teach people.