24 hours in Police Custody - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think perhaps, she was trying to ensure the situation didn't escalate and he kicked off at her. I have heard psychiatric nurses will use a similar approach when a patient is distressed about something, for instance the patient is highly agitated saying, I am not sick, the nurse will agree with them to diffuse the situation and calm the patient, even though the patient is obviously sick. Perhaps her approach is similar, it is not my decision, I dont make the rules so don't take it out on me. I mean this was a guy who ran over someone in cold blood because they pissed him off, you would want to keep him as calm possible I would have thought.
He wasn’t agitated at the police station though in fact he was pretty calm so there was no reason to think he would kick off. A simple ‘unfortunately due to the seriousness of the offence I won’t be able to grant you bail’ would have sufficed

Reactions: 20
He wasn’t agitated at the police station though in fact he was pretty calm so there was no reason to think he would kick off. A simple ‘unfortunately due to the seriousness of the offence I won’t be able to grant you bail’ would have sufficed
Agreed, but I think he has shown that he is a loose cannon with a short fuse, that was my point. So he could have kicked off at any point despite appearing calm.

Reactions: 5
From a mental health practitioner point of view - at the core of our training is being non-judgmental and empathetic. It is incredibly difficult working with people who have committed heinous crimes and keeping emotion in check. There is nothing to be gained from being confrontational; it’s easier for everyone to remain calm and as a previous poster suggested we treat the individual with empathy.
It would appear there were a lot more people involved, arrested and interviewed. As viewers we only saw a fraction of the work put in to solving the case. Her comments were a snapshot of all her interactions and perhaps she had a moment when emotions got the better of her.
Let’s not forget- 24 hours in police custody is a very well edited program and not everything is shown in the context of what actually happened in that moment.

Reactions: 30
Did anyone else find the custody officer a bit strange? She seemed overly sympathetic towards Nick. I get that it's "innocent until proven guilty" however she should remain impartial. She clearly had taken a bit of a shine to him which is so strange.
I thought that too. At first I thought she was going to say she had sympathy for him because of his daughter and her situation. But she didn't really mention that part of it! She just said he seemed like a nice bloke???!like wtf?? How??... I did have a slight bit of empathy when he had the phone call with his daughter, but only as a parent and imagining how his daughter must feel. It soon left- because if he can do what he did, on cocoaine or not, she's better off without him. He was a tit parent, end of.
---
From a mental health practitioner point of view - at the core of our training is being non-judgmental and empathetic. It is incredibly difficult working with people who have committed heinous crimes and keeping emotion in check. There is nothing to be gained from being confrontational; it’s easier for everyone to remain calm and as a previous poster suggested we treat the individual with empathy.
It would appear there were a lot more people involved, arrested and interviewed. As viewers we only saw a fraction of the work put in to solving the case. Her comments were a snapshot of all her interactions and perhaps she had a moment when emotions got the better of her.
Let’s not forget- 24 hours in police custody is a very well edited program and not everything is shown in the context of what actually happened in that moment.
Very good point to be fair. I admire people who can be non judgemental in such circumstances.

Reactions: 11
Is it possible he also used the drug alcohol angle to imply he is an addict in the hope he would receive different treatment, ie him being in custody would be difficult as he would be detoxing. Understand they have plans in place for this and it isn't a mitigating factor for bail, but it seems this guy isn't the sharpest tool in the box. His drink of choice, brandy, seems to be an interesting one for a 33 year, higher alcohol content I guess. Either way 10 brandies a day is a lot, I imagine the young girl was probably quite self sufficient if dad was never sober.

Like a previous poster I also noticed Anthony's solicitors reaction to the footage. It was so confronting it would be almost impossible not to react, unless of course you are a psychopath.
There are posts on Facebook by Pat’s sister who says amongst other things that Nick was never really a dad to the girl and only kind of got involved when her mum disappeared (not sure why) - he has two other kids who he doesn’t bother with.

Reactions: 4
There are posts on Facebook by Pat’s sister who says amongst other things that Nick was never really a dad to the girl and only kind of got involved when her mum disappeared (not sure why) - he has two other kids who he doesn’t bother with.
The mum was murdered by her partner

• Sad
Reactions: 6
You have articulated so much better than I did, thank you 🙂

• Heart
I agree you can't be confrontational and have to be impartial no matter the criminal but for her to show sympathy on camera when he wasn't even there was still odd

Reactions: 11
How can you be a solicitor and represent these kind of people? Do you get to choose the cases you take on or are you just told you have to represent them? I've no idea on the law.

Reactions: 4
How can you be a solicitor and represent these kind of people? Do you get to choose the cases you take on or are you just told you have to represent them? I've no idea on the law.
Police stations have a duty solicitor who will be on hand to support those arrested, provided they don't have their own legal representation. As for choosing cases, barristers have the 'cab rank principle', where they must take cases given to them in their field of competencies. Solicitors do not have this, so they have more freedom to choose their cases.

Many working in defence will say that they believe in ensuring any defendant is given a fair hearing. They may suspect a client is guilty but often cannot know for sure. If a client confesses, then it's the duty of their legal team to ensure the criminal doesn't say so under oath, as this would help them to commit perjury. Otherwise, they can defend someone they know to be guilty, and it becomes a moral question/debate.

Reactions: 9
I think ❄ played a big part in the outcome of this whole sorry mess.
I also thought that. When Nick was first admitted to the police station he mentioned he had taken ❄ over the weekend. I wonder how many of the rest of them had?

Reactions: 7
I'm sure someone (maybe Curtis) said something about people hating each other for being in a different postcode so basically they were rival drug gangs. It was never really mentioned what started it all off in the first place apart from one brief comment saying it was about a girl but sounds like they hated each other for years , obviously more to it than that

I'm sure someone (maybe Curtis) said something about people hating each other for being in a different postcode so basically they were rival drug gangs. It was never really mentioned what started it all off in the first place apart from one brief comment saying it was about a girl but sounds like they hated each other for years , obviously more to it than that
Yeah no way was it over just one silly fight. These people hated each other. And Anthony’s car was absolutely trashed, like someone had gone at it with a bat. No doubt they were all off their faces on coke as well. That’s got to be one of the most brutal nonsensical crimes I’ve ever seen. And the poor people who witnessed it, they’ll have nightmares for the rest of their lives. Truly horrific.

Reactions: 10
I got the sense they were travellers. Especially as it's down in that part of country.

Reactions: 5