24 hours in Police Custody - Channel 4

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The CCTV was horrible to watch.

That Nick is a piece of work. His whole demeanour in the interviews was disgusting, then how he was smirking and laughing as soon as he left the room was awful.

I was on the fence with Anthony. He clearly felt remorse and obviously he did the right thing by speaking in the interview but at the same time, it's hard to feel sympathy for somebody who stabbed 3 people multiple times. That's more than a moment of madness.
I was shocked by the age,mentality and brutality of these men,they weren't young kids,they were grown men with kids of their own. It's frightening how so called adults can go out, easily get into fights and have zero impulse control leading to 2 men being murdered. Nick was trying to portray himself as a caring parent,but openly admitted to drinking 10 brandys a day smoking cannabis and taking class A drugs at the weekend. He clearly wasn't to bright because after being charged with 2 murders and one attempted murder,he really thought he had a chance of being bailed to return to his daughter. I only hope his daughter is with a decent family who will give her the chance that idiot wouldn't have provided

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Did anyone else find the custody officer a bit strange? She seemed overly sympathetic towards Nick. I get that it's "innocent until proven guilty" however she should remain impartial. She clearly had taken a bit of a shine to him which is so strange.

• Heart
Reactions: 39
I agree with someone else further up thread that said that Cocaine has a lot to do with these fights, they get angry & arrogant & small altercations then turn into catastrophic events.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Did anyone else find the custody officer a bit strange? She seemed overly sympathetic towards Nick. I get that it's "innocent until proven guilty" however she should remain impartial. She clearly had taken a bit of a shine to him which is so strange.
I did think her attitude towards him was a bit odd to say the least!

Did anyone else notice the look of horror on Anthony’s solicitors face when they were shown the cctv footage of Pat being run over? He was evidently horrified. As any normal person should be

Reactions: 31
Yes I think the custody officer was strange, be nice to know if she watched it back whether her perception of him changed. Also hated Nicks solicitor - I don’t know how you can watch footage like that of your client and still leave the room with them laughing and joking. The world’s a slightly better place with them behind bars, I just feel so sorry about the two boys who lost their life. It’s so senseless, so many families ruined just for sake of a few hours.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
No I don’t agree. She was there to look after the prisoners. They are still people even after what they have done and need to be looked after whilst in custody. I really don’t want the police and the prison service to end up treating prisoners like animals.
They shouldn’t be there to judge, that was not her job.

Reactions: 25
No I don’t agree. She was there to look after the prisoners. They are still people even after what they have done and need to be looked after whilst in custody. I really don’t want the police and the prison service to end up treating prisoners like animals.
They shouldn’t be there to judge, that was not her job.
I never suggested they should be treated like animals - I'm not sure where in my post that was implied? I agree they should still be treated as humans, hence me mentioning that they're innocent until proven guilty. I also agree they aren't there to judge, hence me saying they should remain impartial - I don't feel she was entirely impartial.

I just found it odd how she seemed to have taken a bit of a shine to him, the way she spoke about him was odd in my opinion.

I never suggested they should be treated like animals - I'm not sure where in my post that was implied? I agree they should still be treated as humans, hence me mentioning that they're innocent until proven guilty. I also agree they aren't there to judge, hence me saying they should remain impartial - I don't feel she was entirely impartial.

I just found it odd how she seemed to have taken a bit of a shine to him, the way she spoke about him was odd in my opinion.
I think the families of the victims watching back may find it difficult to hear the custody Sargent. Yes she's there to safegaurd them whilst in custody but also remain impartial,as the previous poster wrote 'innocent until proven guilty'. Maybe not voicing her opinion on camera would have displayed impartiality and also considered the victims loved ones who may watch the episode.

Reactions: 15

Some of it is tactics. I’m really into true crime and often detectives/officers will be friendly and pally with suspects to gain their confidence.

Nick was trying to portray himself as a caring parent,but openly admitted to drinking 10 brandys a day smoking cannabis and taking class A drugs at the weekend. He clearly wasn't to bright because after being charged with 2 murders and one attempted murder,he really thought he had a chance of being bailed to return to his daughter.
Is it possible he also used the drug alcohol angle to imply he is an addict in the hope he would receive different treatment, ie him being in custody would be difficult as he would be detoxing. Understand they have plans in place for this and it isn't a mitigating factor for bail, but it seems this guy isn't the sharpest tool in the box. His drink of choice, brandy, seems to be an interesting one for a 33 year, higher alcohol content I guess. Either way 10 brandies a day is a lot, I imagine the young girl was probably quite self sufficient if dad was never sober.

Like a previous poster I also noticed Anthony's solicitors reaction to the footage. It was so confronting it would be almost impossible not to react, unless of course you are a psychopath.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Agree. Very unprofessional.

Reactions: 11
Some of it is tactics. I’m really into true crime and often detectives/officers will be friendly and pally with suspects to gain their confidence.
I thought this at first but to then voice her opinion away from the actual suspect and basically say she has sympathy just didn’t sit right with me

did anyone else find it odd the second Anthony was taken into custody he was complimenting the lady’s nails🫣 I get that he was trying to come off as “friendly” but when you’re in for murder it’s just very strange

The way Anthony wrote that letter to his grandparents makes it seem that he knew what he had done and that he was going to prison. At least he reacted to the video, Nick watched it like it was a normal thing to see everyday and that's very concerning. However, it was Anthony's choice to do drugs and then stab 3 people. The self defence was absolute bull, he was looking for them and used the knife. People are so cowardly these days, need to use a car or knife as a weapon because their ego is a bit bruised.

Is it possible he also used the drug alcohol angle to imply he is an addict in the hope he would receive different treatment, ie him being in custody would be difficult as he would be detoxing. Understand they have plans in place for this and it isn't a mitigating factor for bail, but it seems this guy isn't the sharpest tool in the box. His drink of choice, brandy, seems to be an interesting one for a 33 year, higher alcohol content I guess. Either way 10 brandies a day is a lot, I imagine the young girl was probably quite self sufficient if dad was never sober.

Like a previous poster I also noticed Anthony's solicitors reaction to the footage. It was so confronting it would be almost impossible not to react, unless of course you are a psychopath.
I agree, I think he was very aware of what he was doing when he disclosed his alcohol and drug use. His 'justification ' for his behaviour maybe trying to imply he wasn't fully in control of his actions. I feel sad for his daughter,poor child lost her mum to murder and her dad is a murderer. The cynic in me also wonders how much of the doting father act was in hopes that 'the system' would go easy on him because he was her only living parent. He saw himself as a victim and showed no remorse for his actions,so I do question the authenticity of the doting parent act.

When she said to him ‘if it was up to me I’d bail you’ (or something to that effect) I was like ?? You’d bail a man who has been charged with murder?? Such a strange thing to say

When she was talking to him I said "what" to myself, she should have kept those comments to herself in the first place especially knowing it was being recorded and what she said was inappropriate.

When she was talking to him I said "what" to myself, she should have kept those comments to herself in the first place especially knowing it was being recorded and what she said was inappropriate.
I also thought it was very inappropriate and over familiar. At one stage she told him she was sorry or words to that effect. I can’t imagine how the families felt seeing that.
She wasn’t going to be questioning him and wouldn’t have any input as to whether or not he was charged or not so there was absolutely no need for her to try and be pals with him to gain his trust.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
When she said to him ‘if it was up to me I’d bail you’ (or something to that effect) I was like ?? You’d bail a man who has been charged with murder?? Such a strange thing to say
I think perhaps, she was trying to ensure the situation didn't escalate and he kicked off at her. I have heard psychiatric nurses will use a similar approach when a patient is distressed about something, for instance the patient is highly agitated saying, I am not sick, the nurse will agree with them to diffuse the situation and calm the patient, even though the patient is obviously sick. Perhaps her approach is similar, it is not my decision, I dont make the rules so don't take it out on me. I mean this was a guy who ran over someone in cold blood because they pissed him off, you would want to keep him as calm possible I would have thought.

Reactions: 9
I think perhaps, she was trying to ensure the situation didn't escalate and he kicked off at her. I have heard psychiatric nurses will use a similar approach when a patient is distressed about something, for instance the patient is highly agitated saying, I am not sick, the nurse will agree with them to diffuse the situation and calm the patient, even though the patient is obviously sick. Perhaps her approach is similar, it is not my decision, I dont make the rules so don't take it out on me. I mean this was a guy who ran over someone in cold blood because they pissed him off, you would want to keep him as calm possible I would have thought.

This is exactly my thoughts on it too. I wouldn’t wanna piss off crazy eyes papworth if he was in front of me. I know the mate with the knife was for Anthony, but imagine if Nick had managed to bring in a knife and attacked aomeone, you wouldnt want to be on the wrong side of him.

Reactions: 9
Most people are rightly horrified at this whole situation however I do think people don't seem to care as much than they would if it was a random person going out murdering strangers , the whole country will be up in arms wanting them hanged. I do think people who murder like this get a bit more leniency with peoples opinions. I'm struggling to explain what I'm thinking haha buy think I've got my point across

Reactions: 3