Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #9

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Put stuff that you're on the fence about in a box. If you then use any of the things from that box in the next 12 months, you know it might be worth keeping. Anything else from that box, just toss away/recycle.

Don't feel guilty about getting rid of things. Possessions should serve us, and not weigh us down and make us feel stressed or overwhelmed. Only keep things which are useful or make you feel good.

If you’ve bought too much makeup, maybe take some time to assess why that is? I am guilty of doing this, but mainly because I have a hard time finding colours which suit me. I’m finally getting to a place where I know what suits me, and what won’t.

I made a promise to myself to not buy any more liquid products, as these don’t last long. E.g. lip glosses, liquid highlighters. Powder products last for years if you store them well, and if they contain preservatives (so not products from "clean beauty" brands). I'm glad I kept some powder blushes, eyeshadows and foundations that I thought didn't suit me, but do now.

The only thing I feel bad about is throwing away makeup in packaging which isn't recyclable. So much of it isn't recyclable. I think in the next few years, companies are going to have to (or they should be made to) change their packaging to become recyclable and more eco-friendly - more cardboard, recyclable plastics, metals/aluminium. Why should they be allowed to produce things made of impossible-to-recycle plastic, just because it looks good or cool? I'm talking about the hard coloured plastics and decorative resins some companies use. It might look good on their Instagram pages, but this stuff will take hundreds of years to degrade in landfill.
To be fair a lot of the products I have are left from when I had a blog and was purchasing things to keep up with bloggers that received things in PR.

Really bugs me about packaging especially for products where there are multiple elements so have to be broken down for recycling. Seems to be more brands coming out with refillable products so hopefully that'll be the future.
---
If there is a women’s shelter/refuge near you they may be take your unwanted items. Often women flee domestic violence with little more than the clothes they are wearing and are grateful for any gifts.
I'm not sure if they'll take used product but that's a good shout, will check out what they take.

Reactions: 4
I have seen a lot mention the OGX ACV shampoo for a deep cleanse, just to let you know it’s half price (£4) in both Waitrose and Tesco (with tesco clubcard)

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Is it good?
I haven’t used it but it gets a lot of recommendations here. I just picked one up to try. I have used Alfa Parf Semi Di Lino for years; and occasionally use Moroccan oil. Thought I’d try giving hair a good cleanse. Will let you know once used it.

Reactions: 2
I’ve just signed up to Skin & Me, has anyone else tried it?

I’ve got my first box on the way- they said I’ve got acne and rosacea (I agree).

Reactions: 1

I’ve got my first box on the way- they said I’ve got acne and rosacea (I agree).
Yeah I've been using it since March maybe? Can't remember but it really helped with my acne, I would always get acne in the autumn and couldn't get rid of it until the summer, this year I've only had a few spots here and there.

Saw they have an offer to try their new serum for free which I'm going to do as I'm looking for a Vitamin c serum

Is it good?
I like it, good to give a proper cleanse I find, especially if I’ve been a bit heavy handed with the dry shampoo and the products and a bit lax with the washing. I don’t find the matching conditioner to be ‘enough’ for the current state of my hair so I use other things or I don’t use any conditioner and go in with K18.

Reactions: 5

I used it for about 8 months, felt like it wasn’t really making much difference to my skin so cancelled it. I quickly realised that I needed to lower my expectations because once I stopped it my skin was awful. I was expecting glowy, glass looking skin (naïve I know). I’ve restarted it and my skin is nice again. Mine has niacinamide, azelic acid and tret in it.

I've not tried it but people on here have generally been very positive about it when discussed previously

Straight haired girl here, I'm trying the heatless curl method with the silky foam rod. Quick and easy to use and curls look lovely the next morning. Only thing is they are not holding. Take them out at 8:30am & by 10:30am/11am I am poker straight again. I've tried hairspray but I'd nearly need the whole bottle for very little hold. Also tried Mark Hill styling spray- but left hair tacky/gritty, even after washing still have residue in my hair.

Any advice? Am I missing a trick?

Straight haired girl here, I'm trying the heatless curl method with the silky foam rod. Quick and easy to use and curls look lovely the next morning. Only thing is they are not holding. Take them out at 8:30am & by 10:30am/11am I am poker straight again. I've tried hairspray but I'd nearly need the whole bottle for very little hold. Also tried Mark Hill styling spray- but left hair tacky/gritty, even after washing still have residue in my hair.

When you have it put it get a spray bottle filled with water and spray that on your hair before you go to bed! That will help the hair hold in the mornin.

• Heart
Has anyone made a NYE resolution related to grooming/feeling polished? Might be a nice way to finish off this thread before we move to a new one!

I'm determined to get into a better routine with my LED face mask, because I notice a different when I am more diligent about using it regularly.
I actually said I wasn’t going to get my nails done anymore - my nails are in really decent condition thanks to BIAB so I’m going to do them at home with decent polishes and keep that up, I just don’t need to be spending £30/40 a month on nail care atm!

Also using my gua sha morning and evening 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 6

What heartless curl system are you using? I can’t figure them out 🤣

• Haha
Just received a free Revolution rose quartz face roller thingy. Does anyone use one, is there a routine, are they any good?

What heartless curl system are you using? I can’t figure them out 🤣
You know the silk long thing about the thickness of a sausage? Twirling hair away from face and picking up hair at back. It's great very handy and quick, if I could get the curls to stay in it would be a game changer! Going the try PP method of spraying water?!?

Again trying to hold myself accountable for using up some of my products

As always during December, I'm trying to use up some stuff, it's my own little end-of-year tradition :D I love when people post their yearly favourites and I look back on mine and also try to use up some of the non-favourites to get a clean start , to have justification to buy those favourites everyone posts about.

I'm hoping to finish up
  • bottle of Sante conditioner (needs mixing with another one, so takes time and ruins hair otherwise)
  • Foamie Face Bar. One of my favourites! Next one already in line
  • Balea Shine shampoo. Absolutely meh, will not repurchase
  • Inkey List Tranexamic Acid. Also meh. Don't think it does anything for me
  • Inkey List Niacinamide. Again meh. Not sure my skin likes niacinamide serums in general
  • Maria Nila Colour Refresh hair mask. I'm too lazy for this, but it's nice
  • Greendoor Deodorant Creme - like it, but want a new scent. You need tiny amounts, might last longer

I've more stuff I need/want to use up but those I really want to see the end of this year.

I never learn - I used up the Greendoor deodorant creme and had a Foamie deodorant stick after. The Greendoor creme works insanely well, the only thing I dislike is that I have to apply it with my fingers and always have to wash my hand with soap after. I really like the concept of the recyclable packaging and all that, but I feel the application method is basically forcing me to use resources that the packaging otherwise saved.
Anyway, the Foamie stick smells really nice, but I dislike how the scent develops on my skin after a few ours to he point that I want to wash it off as it makes me feel a bit nauseous :cry: should have stuck with the trusty Greendoor stuff and just wash my hands.

• Heart
You know the silk long thing about the thickness of a sausage? Twirling hair away from face and picking up hair at back. It's great very handy and quick, if I could get the curls to stay in it would be a game changer! Going the try PP method of spraying water?!?
Yeh I’ve seen them and even bought a set but the little foam thing was so flimsy! Did you buy a specific brand?

Mousse makes a difference to the hold of mine (also helps curls made with my curler hold as well). I apply it to my damp hair, but only wrap the hair up with the rod when it's basically dry (sometimes I give it a quick blast upside down with my hairdryer to speed things up). From what I can figure out, cheap mousse seems to works well so I'd give a try to whatever is on sale in Boots/Superdrug!

@avabella I had a cheap amazon one which worked okay but my fav heatless curler is from Eternal Muse. They have different widths too, depending on your hair length and thickness and what sort of curl you want. It is super squishy which makes it easier to sleep in (at least for me)
---
Just received a free Revolution rose quartz face roller thingy. Does anyone use one, is there a routine, are they any good?
Not sure if mine makes a difference but I like using one with face oil! I find I get a better face massage with a gua sha stone but it's quite relaxing just rolling the face roller around before bed 😅 I bet there are some routines on youtube if you wanted to follow one though.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.