Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Thanks for this! Wow! Where do you buy your bras? I’ve bought from Boux Avenue recently and am not sure if their sizes are “true to size” or not. X
Panache Envy is true to size. If you want to try the size out then Vinted is good. Boux Avenue run a bit small on the band. There's a BoB thread Im sure.

Reactions: 2
I think a lot of people would be surprised about how wrong their bra size is. The band is meant to be a bit tight on the loosest clip so that as it stretches you can still tighten it by adjusting what clip you have it on. The cup size is just how much bigger you are around your boobs than around your chest where the band goes. Eg DD on a 30 inch band is very different to DD on a 38 inch. I used to wear a 40E, tried boob or bust which measured me as 36HH and it is so much more comfortable and supportive

Reactions: 11
I’ve just ordered a bra in the size BoB suggested would be my actual size but I feel like it’s going to be absolutely massive. Can always return it I guess but I’m curious 😂 I feel like I’d get laughed out of the shop if me and my slightly generous handful walked in and asked for a GG though!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I think a lot of people would be surprised about how wrong their bra size is. The band is meant to be a bit tight on the loosest clip so that as it stretches you can still tighten it by adjusting what clip you have it on. The cup size is just how much bigger you are around your boobs than around your chest where the band goes. Eg DD on a 30 inch band is very different to DD on a 38 inch. I used to wear a 40E, tried boob or bust which measured me as 36HH and it is so much more comfortable and supportive
Thanks so much for this - I think you’re right in that we are just conditioned to equate larger cup sizes with huge boobs! I think I’m surprised to be a 32 as although my underbust does actually measure that, I have a broad back generally so think it must just be wrong! I’ll try the size they have suggested and will report back! X

Reactions: 8
I hope it works now:LOL: but it definitely should be a bit tight when you first try it on as they do stretch a lot over time

Reactions: 4
Looking forward to hearing the reports back from those who have ordered new bras!

I am itching to re-measure, but I need to find myself a seamstress tape measure. I've only got a metal builder one, which probably isn't as accurate, and from when I tried, let me tell you... it is colddddd

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I hope it works now:LOL: but it definitely should be a bit tight when you first try it on as they do stretch a lot over time

The lady that measured me also said this! Bras will stretch over time, so you should be able to tighten it - never buy a size that you need to close on the tightest hook to begin with.
And if you're like me and ridiculously short: Bras are made to fit a person of around 170cm - it's no wonder that the straps always slide off my shoulders, as I'm a good 17cm shorter than that. I've taken to sewing the straps in place - since there's always "weight" in front from the boobs, the straps will always lengthen a little bit overtime, resulting in a never-ending cycle of sliding down, hitching the thing back up again, tightening it, etc.
Sewing a little X on the strap directly just under the little "slider" avoids the mess and you can't even see it.

• Heart
When trying new bras it’s also really important to lean forward and scoop all the breast tissue into the cups. The breast tissue goes back much further than you might think under the armpit

Reactions: 9
I remember reading that a lot of women think the support from bra is from the cups, whereas really your band is what supports the breast and thats why that needs to be quite tight.

So when i see smaller size woman say they are 36 band size i always know they are wearing the wrong size.

I’m a size 12, and my band is 32”

once I switched to a 32HH bra my back felt soooo much better. I felt way more supported. My GP said my old bra size, which was incorrect (34G), wouldn’t have qualified me for the breast reduction I want at some point anyway. So I need to be formally measured at a proper place to get a supportive bra

Reactions: 4
I hadn't measured myself (or been measured) in years so after the chat here did the BoB calculator and then ordered a Panache Envy from Bravissimo in the new size (38H!) rather than what I had been wearing (40D, and there was some spillage 😅 I'd been 38D and then had some pandemic weight gain etc). It came in the mail yesterday and fits surprisingly well! I was a bit skeptical to be honest but wanted to try. I haven't worn it all day yet so shall see how that goes tomorrow.

Buying bras is like buying jeans. You have to try on so many different types to get the right size and shape for you. I find both exhausting. My big breasts atop a small waist, and menopause has made them bigger. I attended a meeting yesterday where it was half Teams and half in a meeting room. I was in the latter and the group image was projected on screen - all I could see were my large breasts. I look like a comedy character. I am trying to lose weight but I can’t see it shifting from there. It’s bloody annoying, it really affects how you dress. I was wearing a minimiser bra as well.

On subject of bras - how do you wash yours? I just hung mine in the machine but I suspect I would do better to either handwash or put on a delicate wash in a bag.

Reactions: 3
I've only got a metal builder one, which probably isn't as accurate, and from when I tried, let me tell you... it is colddddd
Use a bit of string or something for the measuring on your body and then line it up against the builders tape measure so it’s more accurate and less cold 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Buying bras is like buying jeans. You have to try on so many different types to get the right size and shape for you. I find both exhausting. My big breasts atop a small waist, and menopause has made them bigger. I attended a meeting yesterday where it was half Teams and half in a meeting room. I was in the latter and the group image was projected on screen - all I could see were my large breasts. I look like a comedy character. I am trying to lose weight but I can’t see it shifting from there. It’s bloody annoying, it really affects how you dress. I was wearing a minimiser bra as well.

On subject of bras - how do you wash yours? I just hung mine in the machine but I suspect I would do better to either handwash or put on a delicate wash in a bag.
I wash mine on a quick gentle wash and always put them in those net bags.

Reactions: 3
Sorry if this isn't really the right place to ask, but can anyone recommend any good hair straighteners? Mine are finally giving up and I would love a decent pair. Can't really justify Cloud 9 or GHD prices, but maybe up to £100 or something
I use the Diva ones and they are great

Reactions: 1
I’ve just tried the boob or bust method. I usually wear a 36C altho probably do need to go down a band size as they’re really loose after weight loss.

But it came out as a 32GG😅 surely my current bras can’t be that out?
It doesn't surprise me, so many women wearing the wrong size. Probably M and S's fault!

• Haha
I wash mine on a quick gentle wash and always put them in those net bags.
I used to work for a lingerie place - this is the best way. If not washed on a gentle setting, then 30 degrees but lowering the spin will do. Loads of places like Primark and B&M have the net bags.

Reactions: 2
I thought I was a 36E years ago, did boob or bust and was actually a 32HH

Only downside is it is much harder to find cheap pretty bras in large cup sizes

I mostly hand-wash mine, but every couple of wears i put them in those net bags and put them into the machine, along with the rest, but set the machine then only to the lowest spin cycle and 30 degrees.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.