Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Not exactly home-related but hoped someone would have some tips on here. How do you clean boots that are covered in grass cuttings? I don’t have an outside tap and have three pairs of walking boots/wellies that need cleaning. They also have mud in the grooves. If I wash them in the bath then I have to put drain cleaner down and I’m fed up of them in the hallway. They get like this after one walk 😖

What about using something like a boot buddy? Hopefully this link will work

I bought one for my son for Christmas to use on his football boots, he's given it a thumbs up (and it has saved him getting mud all over my sink!)

• Heart
Reactions: 2
What about using something like a boot buddy? Hopefully this link will work

I bought one for my son for Christmas to use on his football boots, he's given it a thumbs up (and it has saved him getting mud all over my sink!)
I looked into them ages ago but they’d fallen off my radar so thank you, worth a punt!

Not exactly home-related but hoped someone would have some tips on here. How do you clean boots that are covered in grass cuttings? I don’t have an outside tap and have three pairs of walking boots/wellies that need cleaning. They also have mud in the grooves. If I wash them in the bath then I have to put drain cleaner down and I’m fed up of them in the hallway. They get like this after one walk 😖
Have you got a watering can and a brush? you could try that.

Reactions: 1
Have you got a watering can and a brush? you could try that.
I’ve ordered one of these and will see about getting a tap fitted, failing that a watering can is a good shout! I think I’d take forever with a buddy.

1715582606194.jpeg

They had gorgeous ‘art deco’ style ones in ornate metal and golfing ones with a handle that look great but they’re over £200 🫣

I use an old fashioned scrubbing brush and a washing up bowl or bucket filled with hot soapy water then leave them to dry in the sunshine.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
F**king builders!!!!!!!!!! I've had work men in my home over the weekend & 1 of them appears to have brought something in on sole of his shoe. Looks dark tar colour, I've used carpet cleaner & cloth. Still there looking as fresh as ever! Any tips?

F**king builders!!!!!!!!!! I've had work men in my home over the weekend & 1 of them appears to have brought something in on sole of his shoe. Looks dark tar colour, I've used carpet cleaner & cloth. Still there looking as fresh as ever! Any tips?
Butter gets tar out. Massage it in with your fingers and gently pull the fibres upwards and it'll slide out in a few minutes. Washing up liquid and warm water then to get the butter grease out.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
My dishwasher is driving me insane - I keep on top of all the things you’re meant to like salt, rinse aid, regular cleaning cycles, but no matter what I can always see seeds/grains/pulses in the holes in the arms that project out water and I’m certain it’s why some stuff comes out grubby and needs to go back in because of this (pls correct me if I’m wrong). It takes ages picking them out with a toothpick so I’ve gone fully unhinged and just used a jet washer on them & I’m waiting to see the results. Obviously this can’t be normal dishwashing I’m doing lol so coming to ask wtf is everyone doing to make theirs work better pls? I’m also thinking it’s just not a great dishwasher? Is there a brand/model anyone would recommend please? I got a Samsung one because I LOVE our washing machine but someone told me the washers are great but the dishwashers are just white label generic stuff so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just naff?

Thank you for reading this essay - this dishwasher pisses me off at least 2/3 times a week I need to crack this case 😂❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My dishwasher is driving me insane - I keep on top of all the things you’re meant to like salt, rinse aid, regular cleaning cycles, but no matter what I can always see seeds/grains/pulses in the holes in the arms that project out water and I’m certain it’s why some stuff comes out grubby and needs to go back in because of this (pls correct me if I’m wrong). It takes ages picking them out with a toothpick so I’ve gone fully unhinged and just used a jet washer on them & I’m waiting to see the results. Obviously this can’t be normal dishwashing I’m doing lol so coming to ask wtf is everyone doing to make theirs work better pls? I’m also thinking it’s just not a great dishwasher? Is there a brand/model anyone would recommend please? I got a Samsung one because I LOVE our washing machine but someone told me the washers are great but the dishwashers are just white label generic stuff so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s just naff?

Thank you for reading this essay - this dishwasher pisses me off at least 2/3 times a week I need to crack this case 😂❤

I can't say that I've ever had this problem, but one thing that comes to my mind is low water pressure, maybe yours isn't sufficient to keep bits from sticking to the arms. Not sure why that would be though - maybe you can check that the water is fully turned up?
How many arms does your dishwasher have? Mine has two, one below the lowest rack, then one in the middle and I've a model that has also a third top rack for cutlery. I've heard from other people with arms just below the lowest rack that stuff on the middle rack often has bits still sticking to it, depending on what you load in the bottom.

• Heart
I can't say that I've ever had this problem, but one thing that comes to my mind is low water pressure, maybe yours isn't sufficient to keep bits from sticking to the arms. Not sure why that would be though - maybe you can check that the water is fully turned up?
How many arms does your dishwasher have? Mine has two, one below the lowest rack, then one in the middle and I've a model that has also a third top rack for cutlery. I've heard from other people with arms just below the lowest rack that stuff on the middle rack often has bits still sticking to it, depending on what you load in the bottom.
omg this is a genius point thank you - you’re very likely right! We’re semi rural, not even on a mains water waste supply so I’m guessing the mains water provision is probably at the lower end of what’s good in this country. Thinking back our showers weren’t the best when we moved in but we got new heads and they’re passable, again we assumed that was the shower head not the water pressure? 😱 thank you so much though, I was looking at buying a new one even though the waste of scrapping a 2 year old dishwasher makes me die inside, but now I’ll ask a plumber about this!!

• Heart

Pepper seeds are the worst for this! I had this all the time with my old dishwasher, it never seemed to rinse properly and the holes always needed clearing. It doesn't seem to happen in the one I have now though, I'm wondering if the holes are slightly bigger, so they don't get jammed? 🤔

• Heart

I've never had this dishwasher problem but wanted to point out that my mantra is "scrape, don't rinse" and I think maybe that makes the difference? I'm in the habit of giving the dishes a quick once over with a silicon spatula before they go in the dishwasher, if and only if there's something seedy on them (melon seeds, cumin seeds etc in this house). So stuff like this and pepper seeds never make it inside the machine.
My brother's one has been bunged up with melon seeds so many times and they're very hard to remove.

I've never had this dishwasher problem but wanted to point out that my mantra is "scrape, don't rinse" and I think maybe that makes the difference? I'm in the habit of giving the dishes a quick once over with a silicon spatula before they go in the dishwasher, if and only if there's something seedy on them (melon seeds, cumin seeds etc in this house). So stuff like this and pepper seeds never make it inside the machine.
My brother's one has been bunged up with melon seeds so many times and they're very hard to remove.
Funnily re rinsing/scraping I’d read that it’s worse for us as humans to do so as dishwashers and their tablets have been designed to remove residue from plates for us, so if you rinse you end up with deposits left on the cutlery / cups you’re putting in your mouth which obviously isn’t great for us to ingest. I’ve found myself doing it anyway just because my machine/water pressure evidently isn’t great at removing everything.

^ more depths of my dishwasher insanity 😂

Funnily re rinsing/scraping I’d read that it’s worse for us as humans to do so as dishwashers and their tablets have been designed to remove residue from plates for us, so if you rinse you end up with deposits left on the cutlery / cups you’re putting in your mouth which obviously isn’t great for us to ingest. I’ve found myself doing it anyway just because my machine/water pressure evidently isn’t great at removing everything.

^ more depths of my dishwasher insanity 😂
Yes I have read the same.

My understanding is the tablets etc need dirt to actually work but "bits" can block the filters and washer arms.

So you should scrape lumps but never rinse.

• Heart