Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
We'll hopefully be moving into our first home soon, and whilst it's lovely and beyond our wildest dreams of what our first home would be, it's currently very, very grey and modern looking. Any ideas on how I could add a feminine touch and make it look and feel more homely would be hugely appreciated 😊 the grey carpets will be staying as they're all newly fitted so any decor will have to work with that.
View attachment 2857458
View attachment 2857461
View attachment 2857463
View attachment 2857464

I really love this kind of look but I don't know if it'll make the rooms feel too dark and enclosed?

View attachment 2857466
View attachment 2857467
Do you know which way the living room window faces? If it's South (edit to add: and you're in the Northern Hemisphere!) I think you could get away with a lovely dark paint colour. Especially if the furniture is wood or lighter tones like in one of your examples.

Also I love dark colours in bedrooms so I think definitely go for something moody in there.

Most of all! Congratulations on your first home. An amazing milestone❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
We'll hopefully be moving into our first home soon, and whilst it's lovely and beyond our wildest dreams of what our first home would be, it's currently very, very grey and modern looking. Any ideas on how I could add a feminine touch and make it look and feel more homely would be hugely appreciated 😊 the grey carpets will be staying as they're all newly fitted so any decor will have to work with that.
View attachment 2857458
View attachment 2857461
View attachment 2857463
View attachment 2857464

I really love this kind of look but I don't know if it'll make the rooms feel too dark and enclosed?

View attachment 2857466
View attachment 2857467
I saw the same post and really loved seeing what they did with their home 😍

IMG_1742.jpeg

Could you maybe start off with a dark feature wall? Have a look on Pinterest and get some ideas from there. The dark style is similar to Abigail Ahern so if you look at her work you might like her ideas.

Reactions: 2
Do you know which way the living room window faces? If it's South (edit to add: and you're in the Northern Hemisphere!) I think you could get away with a lovely dark paint colour. Especially if the furniture is wood or lighter tones like in one of your examples.

Also I love dark colours in bedrooms so I think definitely go for something moody in there.

Most of all! Congratulations on your first home. An amazing milestone❤
Thank you so much! I can't actually remember what way the house is facing 😅 but it doesn't help that when we went to view it, it was dark and rainy weather so the room felt very gloomy anyway. You're definitely right about the dark bedrooms I think, I guess it's one room you don't particularly need bright and airy.
I saw the same post and really loved seeing what they did with their home 😍

View attachment 2857539

Could you maybe start off with a dark feature wall? Have a look on Pinterest and get some ideas from there. The dark style is similar to Abigail Ahern so if you look at her work you might like her ideas.
Yes that's the one! It's got such character hasn't it, I love it. It looks busy but not cluttered, if that makes sense!

I had the same thought about a feature wall, I know some people think they're outdated now but I really like them, especially if it's a funky wallpaper rather than paint. Pinterest is a good idea, thanks 😊

Does anyone have an recommendations for dark grey bath sheets. Must be thick, fluffy and luxurious and don't click and pull.
You know the massive ones that wrap right round you.
Please and thank you 🙏🏻

Does anyone have an recommendations for dark grey bath sheets. Must be thick, fluffy and luxurious and don't click and pull.
Please and thank you 🙏🏻
Next. I’ve had mine for years.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Please and thank you 🙏🏻
Soak & Sleep. Trust me on this. In my post partum insanity I dragged a newborn around all the department stores and Dunelm feeling up towels and these were the hands down winners.

We’ve had these for 18 months and they are excellent.

---
Don’t bother with M&S, I recently bought their Egyptian bath towels for our PFB as I wanted a bright colour and they are absolutely tit and full of pulls already.

• Wow
You want to look at the gsm - higher the gsm the thicker the towel. The soak and sleep ones are 700gsm, so they’d be super cosy. My white company ones are 600gsm which are also nice and thick, but don’t think you’d want to go lower than that

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Soak & Sleep. Trust me on this. In my post partum insanity I dragged a newborn around all the department stores and Dunelm feeling up towels and these were the hands down winners.

We’ve had these for 18 months and they are excellent.

---
Don’t bother with M&S, I recently bought their Egyptian bath towels for our PFB as I wanted a bright colour and they are absolutely tit and full of pulls already.
OK I'd never heard of soak and sleep and now I have spent £122 on 4 bath sheets, 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels. The reviews are incredible, I've never seen anything with such good reviews. They also gave me £35 off so how could I not. I will send my husband your way when he notices 😆🤷🏻‍♀️
Thank you!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
IMG_9775.jpeg

Where would you hang curtains on a window like this? The wall dips in right at the top of it. The blackout blinds aren’t enough to stop the light coming in so we need curtains too otherwise we’d just leave it

• Heart
Reactions: 1
View attachment 2874394
Where would you hang curtains on a window like this? The wall dips in right at the top of it. The blackout blinds aren’t enough to stop the light coming in so we need curtains too otherwise we’d just leave it
I think you might have to do the whole of the recess and have them all the way to the floor and the pole on the white jutting out bit. It will certainly sort out your light problem but will take a bit of space from the room. But it will have quite a dramatic effect

Reactions: 6
I think you might have to do the whole of the recess and have them all the way to the floor and the pole on the white jutting out bit. It will certainly sort out your light problem but will take a bit of space from the room. But it will have quite a dramatic effect
This was my first thought too but I'm not sure about covering the vent?

This was my first thought too but I'm not sure about covering the vent?
you would have a sizeable gap between the curtain and the vent. And the curtains will be open during the day. I think it will be fine plus if you drape the curtains in a way they will cover the vent during the day so your eye won’t be drawn to it

Tinted my eyebrows last night and this morning I’ve noticed I’ve got it on my duvet cover. I did wonder if it was mascara at first, but I think it’s tint. Tried cleaning it this morning with a damp cloth, but don’t have enough time. Will it come out in the wash?!
IMG_9912.jpeg

View attachment 2874394
either on the vertical wall (black) or from the ceiling (orange), you might need four panels if the pole goes the full width of the wall though! it looks like the window goes right to the ceiling rather than stopping with the picture rail so it'd have to be quite high up, more or less flush w the ceiling

IMG_9775.jpeg

• Heart
Looking for utility room storage ideas. The room is 2metres in length and depth. Door swings open fully, in front in washer dryer under counter top. Above counter top is small window & gas boiler. That is the only brick wall, the other 3 walls are plaster board. Current "storage" is hanging rail on back of door with washing basket & recycling and a free standing shelf(on counter top) with baskets for tea towels, washing power/cat food etc. It's a room where I need space to store but also space to unload/separate out a washing. I'm looking on Pinterest but the options seem to be for "small" utility/pantry in the USA which are about 7 times the size of mine!!!

Looking for utility room storage ideas. The room is 2metres in length and depth. Door swings open fully, in front in washer dryer under counter top. Above counter top is small window & gas boiler. That is the only brick wall, the other 3 walls are plaster board. Current "storage" is hanging rail on back of door with washing basket & recycling and a free standing shelf(on counter top) with baskets for tea towels, washing power/cat food etc. It's a room where I need space to store but also space to unload/separate out a washing. I'm looking on Pinterest but the options seem to be for "small" utility/pantry in the USA which are about 7 times the size of mine!!!
I was watching Laura Meachem - has just moved into a new house and was looking at the utility saying she needs storage. I was wondering how she's going to manage it with switches and boiler in the way.
Her fiance is going to do it, (he's already made her wardrobes from the old house look like fitted wardrobes in the new house).
I'm interested to see how he goes about the utility.
Laura has cats and likes cleaning, so will be interesting to see how they store the supplies for these.

I was watching Laura Meachem - has just moved into a new house and was looking at the utility saying she needs storage. I was wondering how she's going to manage it with switches and boiler in the way.
Her fiance is going to do it, (he's already made her wardrobes from the old house look like fitted wardrobes in the new house).
I'm interested to see how he goes about the utility.
Laura has cats and likes cleaning, so will be interesting to see how they store the supplies for these.
Thanks I'll take a look. I've had a carpenter & they've said due to the plasterboard walls I can't put in a unit or nails. I also don't want the expense of a big job or a builder in blocking up the window, looking for quick easy fix!