Your tips on how to keep your home glamorous #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Can anyone recommend a robot hoover?
We have the Roomba j7+, one with the mop and one without (for different floors). The mop is surprisingly good on hard wood floors so would recommend. We recently had an issue with a part and they replaced it for free/with next day delivery under warranty (~2 years old device, used daily). They’re easily debugged if the worst happens eg a Lego brick gets sucked too far into the self emptying system. I like the schedules you can set up but imagine they all have the same apps/functionality these days. Likewise have never used anything else so can’t compare, also don’t have carpets (but do have rugs).

Reactions: 2
We have the Roomba j7+, one with the mop and one without (for different floors). The mop is surprisingly good on hard wood floors so would recommend. We recently had an issue with a part and they replaced it for free/with next day delivery under warranty (~2 years old device, used daily). They’re easily debugged if the worst happens eg a Lego brick gets sucked too far into the self emptying system. I like the schedules you can set up but imagine they all have the same apps/functionality these days. Likewise have never used anything else so can’t compare, also don’t have carpets (but do have rugs).
I have an entry model roomba, but my brother has the J7+. Entry model (ie cheapest) is great, I love it. It doesn’t go consistently across a room, so it takes longer, but I just shut it behind a door for a few hours whilst it wonders around and then go back in and it’s beautiful and clean.

I actually hoovered the day before it arrived, by chance, then obv put the roomba on straight away when it arrived and it picked up so much more dust despite the fact I thought I’d already given it a good clean (this was on carpet)

Keep an eye out for a price drop on Amazon. I got mine discounted by quite a bit during BF sales

• Wow
Reactions: 4
I have an entry model roomba, but my brother has the J7+. Entry model (ie cheapest) is great, I love it. It doesn’t go consistently across a room, so it takes longer, but I just shut it behind a door for a few hours whilst it wonders around and then go back in and it’s beautiful and clean.

I actually hoovered the day before it arrived, by chance, then obv put the roomba on straight away when it arrived and it picked up so much more dust despite the fact I thought I’d already given it a good clean (this was on carpet)

Keep an eye out for a price drop on Amazon. I got mine discounted by quite a bit during BF sales
I love this experiment (hence the shock emoji) as I’ve always wondered just how good it’d actually be at pulling stuff up from deeper piles, cos going across wood/stone isn’t really hard you just have to be like a broom swooping stuff in rather than sucking it up. Although I got into this guy’s content on TikTok and he’s convinced me all bagless vacs are a con and bad for air quality so I’m not sure how much faith I have in anything anymore lol.

The mop is genuinely impressive, if we had to replace the older non mop one I’d get the mop version. But there’s no self emptying equivalent for that (yet?), you do need to refill the water tank yourself but I find they last at least a whole floor’s clean.

I love this experiment (hence the shock emoji) as I’ve always wondered just how good it’d actually be at pulling stuff up from deeper piles, cos going across wood/stone isn’t really hard you just have to be like a broom swooping stuff in rather than sucking it up. Although I got into this guy’s content on TikTok and he’s convinced me all bagless vacs are a con and bad for air quality so I’m not sure how much faith I have in anything anymore lol.

The mop is genuinely impressive, if we had to replace the older non mop one I’d get the mop version. But there’s no self emptying equivalent for that (yet?), you do need to refill the water tank yourself but I find they last at least a whole floor’s clean.
Ah yeah it’s absolutely amazing how much stuff it gets up. My mum has one too, and the amount of cat fur it can suck up from the carpet that you didn’t even realise was there! I recommend them to anyone who listens 😂

Why’d he say they were bad for air quality? Tbf everything is a con in someways I reckon these days haha.

RE self emptying water tank, your wish may be granted…. https://www.irobot.ie/en_IE/roomba-combo-j9plus/C975840.html

Right. This might be a stupid question, but how do I keep a single spare bed fresh? I can’t remember when someone last slept in it. I’ve washed the bedding today as I’ve been decorating the room. The house gets dusty quickly (old house) and I don’t want to be washing it all the time when it’s not even getting slept in but I don’t want it just sitting there getting dusty and stale 🤣. Do I just give the bedding a shake every now and again outside?

Reactions: 3
Right. This might be a stupid question, but how do I keep a single spare bed fresh? I can’t remember when someone last slept in it. I’ve washed the bedding today as I’ve been decorating the room. The house gets dusty quickly (old house) and I don’t want to be washing it all the time when it’s not even getting slept in but I don’t want it just sitting there getting dusty and stale 🤣. Do I just give the bedding a shake every now and again outside?
The minimum effort easy way would be to not make the bed at all until it's needed and vacuum pack the bedclothes

Reactions: 10
This might sound like a bizarre question but is there such a thing as a company you can hire to help you arrange your furniture in a way that compliments the room etc? Me and my 2 year old have to share a room and I’m really struggling with space and finding something that works because obviously there’s 2x every piece of furniture, I want her to habe a little play space. Plus as she grows she’ll need a bigger bed and no idea how I’ll make it all fit 😭
There is a group on Facebook called “ask an interior designer” who really helped me plan a weirdly shaped sitting room. Could try that first as it’s free, prior to hiring someone

Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning and/or home organisation YouTubers? Preferably ones that don't do anything dodgy like mixing dangerous chemicals but have good practical tips that don't rely on cleaning your house being a full time job 🤣

Theres someone on tiktok who does this - her name is Tabby, can't remember her username but she does interior design for homes!
I wouldn’t recommend her at all, she’s very snotty and rude… There’s a couple of other TikTokers who do the same thing though!!

Does anyone have any recommendations for cleaning and/or home organisation YouTubers? Preferably ones that don't do anything dodgy like mixing dangerous chemicals but have good practical tips that don't rely on cleaning your house being a full time job 🤣
The most organised person I've watched is Sunday Stylist.
I got the impression she has to move a lot so reorganizes to fit her new space.
Her content gets plundered by other You Tubers passing it off as their own. At least one has lifted it word for word.

Reactions: 5
This lady talks about different types of organising styles:

She's on tiktok and IG but I enjoy Home with Roo's cleaning content. She's funny and doesn't mix chemicals together, has a normal sized flat etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
She's on tiktok and IG but I enjoy Home with Roo's cleaning content. She's funny and doesn't mix chemicals together, has a normal sized flat etc.
I was going to suggest her too! She seems very normal and relatable. Less 'tips' but I often get some motivation after watching a few of her vids.

Reactions: 1
I love Roo! She’s great - so refreshing and funny too. I watch every video, she’s so motivating without being fake.

Looking some advice, best way to clean skirting boards ,I normally use warm water and lemon flash . But I have ran out of flash .was thinking bleach and washing up liquid? Would I use it with cold or hot water?

Can anybody recommend any nice instagram accounts for normal homes and budgets? Trying to make my house look like a home. Need some motivation to get there. I quite like colour. Not maximalist or anything but bright and cheerful.

whilst I’m at it tidying and decluttering tips tor accounts too

Looking some advice, best way to clean skirting boards ,I normally use warm water and lemon flash . But I have ran out of flash .was thinking bleach and washing up liquid? Would I use it with cold or hot water?
I use washing up liquid and warm/hot water on ours, personally wouldn’t ever use bleach on anything that wasn’t a bio hazard eg blood or poo?

Came across this that I had saved:

January - Recycle

Take down all of your Christmas decorations and pack them into cardboard boxes so they’re organised for next year.

Dispose of your unwanted boxes and cards by recycling them. Return or donate any unwanted Christmas gifts.

February - Get organised in the kitchen

Reorganise the kitchen by checking the expiry date on foodstuff and putting anything that is out of date in the food waste bin.

Tackle the junk drawer. Recycle old takeaway menus, find proper storage for receipts and manage other miscellaneous items.

Take an inventory of your small appliances and cooking utensils and get rid of items that you no longer need.

March - Bathroom cleanse

Clear out your bathroom including your medicine cabinet. Check to see if medicines are still in date and dispose of items that have expired. Store them by medicine type, such as liquids, pills and emergency first aid.

Clear out your vanity drawer by assessing if creams, make-up and bath products are still okay to use.

April - Donate or sell

Go through your closet and cut your winter wardrobe down. Pick out anything you didn’t use and donate or sell them.

If you have children, do the same for their closet. See what clothes fit them (and will still fit in the next six months).

June - Sort storage space

Go through your storage space such as a garage, shed or attic.

Sort your space into specific zones, one for household tools, sports equipment, seasonal decorations and garden supplies.

July - Get crafty

Craft items such as paints, pens and other bits can create clutter quickly. Store various craft items in cardboard storage boxes.

Sort out all of your books, boardgames and DVDs in your living room or games room.

August - Summer spruce

During the summer holidays, cull your linen cupboard. Recycle thread-bare towels, sheets, blankets and linens or donate them to your local animal shelter.

September - Tackle the home office

Take time to organise your home office space. Invest in some desk organisers, such as pen pots and filing systems for documents that you have to keep.

Cable organisers are an easy way to ensure that your desk looks tidy.

October - Store away

You’ll want to repeat the process you did in April with winter clothes. Look at the items you didn’t use and sell, donate or repurpose them.

Store away your sandals, flip-flops and other summer shoes. Get rid of the ones you won’t use next year.

November - Sort decorations

Go through the decorations that you packed away in January. Donate or sell what you won’t use.

Again, make sure you’re up to date with what is in the kitchen cabinets since you organised it in February.

December - Kick back and relax!

Pour yourself a mulled wine and enjoy all the festivities in a clutter-free house!

The costs of a cluttered home - from sleep deprivation to feelings of guilt

A cluttered home can be a massive burden on your mental health and physical health. Here are some of the costs of a messy home that you may not be aware of:

Sleep deprivation

Attempting to sleep in a cluttered room can result in a higher risk of developing sleep problems, such as trouble falling asleep and waking up in the middle of the night.

Unhealthy habits

Mess can lead to bad coping and avoidance strategies like excess snacking and binge-watching TV shows.

Feelings of guilt

Clutter creates feelings of guilt and embarrassment when your house isn’t clean and tidy, especially when you have guests over for Christmas.

Heightened anxiety

It provides the mind with excessive stimuli, making the senses work overtime on things that are not important.

• Heart
Reactions: 19
We'll hopefully be moving into our first home soon, and whilst it's lovely and beyond our wildest dreams of what our first home would be, it's currently very, very grey and modern looking. Any ideas on how I could add a feminine touch and make it look and feel more homely would be hugely appreciated 😊 the grey carpets will be staying as they're all newly fitted so any decor will have to work with that.
Screenshot_20240405_112958_Rightmove.jpg

Screenshot_20240405_112954_Rightmove.jpg

Screenshot_20240405_112950_Rightmove.jpg

Screenshot_20240405_112927_Rightmove.jpg

I really love this kind of look but I don't know if it'll make the rooms feel too dark and enclosed?

Screenshot_20240403_224336_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20240403_224343_Facebook.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 7