Your accent

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I never really thought I’d got an accent, it was only when I used to have to record answerphone meaaages at work that I heard myself properly 😆 I live on the Notts/Derbyshire border and have a lazy accent - lots of letters missed and things dropped - like ‘just going t’ shop’, ‘no, I bleep do that’ (rather than couldn’t). I don’t call people ‘duck’ or ‘love’ but it’s quite popular raaand ‘ere 😆

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I’m from north Dublin but don’t really have the accent. It’s more of a muted nondescript Irish accent with quite an American twang thanks to the Simpsons.

Reactions: 1
I have a Yorkshire accent and although i don't particularity like my tone of voice (i think i have quite a whiny, young voice which doesn't match my age) i do like my accent and wouldnt want to change it. Whenever i go away and hear a Yorkshire accent its like a comforting sound

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I have a very broad Barnsley accent. I wouldn’t change it for anything. Brummie, Barnsley and Scottish accents are my favourites.
I would hate to have the typical yummy mummy accent - ie MOD. Worst accent going.
I LOVE the Barnsley accent! I also love all the same accents as you with northern Irish added in too

• Heart
I have a very broad Barnsley accent. I wouldn’t change it for anything. Brummie, Barnsley and Scottish accents are my favourites.
I would hate to have the typical yummy mummy accent - ie MOD. Worst accent going.

Snap! I do like my accent but I find that people automatically assume I’m thick. I went to uni in a different part of Yorkshire and I currently work in another part of Yorkshire, and I find myself really making the effort to pronounce words properly and tone it down a bit. Because people struggle to understand me, I do mumble though so that may be why 😂 they used to take the piss out of me at uni because I pronounce ‘couldn’t’ as the C word! I’ve noticed my Barnsley accent has really got thicker since we’ve been in lockdown as I’ve been working from home and most communication with my workmates has been via messages so I haven’t had to dial it down.

In my job I have to call stores all over the country and I really have to tone my accent down - on the other side I do struggle to understand some accents on the phone, mainly scouse/Scottish/welsh!

I find it fascinating how accents change within such a small distance. Personally I can’t stand the Sheffield accent and how they pronounce certain words.

Last edited:
I am from Manchester but have always made a big effort to ensure I didn’t end up With the typical manc accent. People assume I’m from Oldham rather than Manchester which is ok. I don’t mind the Manc accent I grew up in a place it is prominent and where we live now is 10 mins from the city centre and most people do have the typical accent. I’ve just always been very aware that I don’t want to sound like that.

Duck ayup and orate here too 🤣
My BIL is from stoke and I love his accent!

Reactions: 2
I’m from the Black Country, and where I am we tend to have a more thicker Black Country accent.

As a note, just to get it out there straight away, our accent is not to be likened or confused with a Brummie accent. We live no where near Birmingham and B’ham is not part of the Black Country. The easiest way to offend any of us? Call us Brummies 🤣

We have our own language here. Can’t is replaced with Cor. Didn’t is replaced with Day. Been is replaced with Bin. Not is replaced with Ay.
So:
“I cor believe my husband day do the washing up tonight. I’ve bin at work all day, I ay having it”

I’d say at least 80% of words are replaced with a Black Country variant of some sort. It’s worth looking up for a laugh (or loff in our case)

We have friends from the posh parts of Lincolnshire, and we do try speak properly while we are with them. Once they get a few beers down us, it’s down hill from there 🤣

I’m another generic English accent - from the western Home Counties, just very standard. I don’t think I have one at all

Born and grew up in NI but lived in Scotland since I moved over for uni at 18 (now in my 30s) so apparently my accent is a bit of a hybrid. I think I still sound firmly Northern Irish, but my family in NI think I sound Scottish now! 🤷🏻‍♀️

I like my accent. I was brought up in Wolverhampton until 13, then lived in Scotland for five years and then moved down to Lancashire and lived here since. I've always tried to adapt the way I speak to where I live and ended up with quite a well spoken accent by accident lol. But in my head I think I sound proper Lancashire 🤣 I have three children and they have a similar well spoken accent too which is weird as they have only ever lived in Lancashire 🤔😊

I'm from Liverpool (and happy to be) but after studying and living away for a while my accent is now RP (never had the strongest scouse accent and trained at a theatre school and lost it a lot more, taught abroad for a long time and what was left apparently just vanished). I moved back not too long ago and everyone assumes I'm from London. I correct them but hilariously people don't always believe me. I get ripped off on taxi journeys all the time (they always ask on the way where down south I'm from and get shocked when I start directing them the right way). It never happens when I put the accent on - yeah I've tested it.

Been called a posh witch a couple of times by random chav girls on buses (asked them not to smoke lmao)

I get told I'm 'not a scouser' a lot now too. Whatever 😂 (don't get me wrong, people here are generally nice so it seems I encounter all the gits).

Last edited:
St Helens accent here, but as my dad was born and bred Liverpool I have a bit of that too. I say coke and coat properly 🤣

• Heart
My accent used to be a lot more Manchester when I was younger and that was all I’d known. Then spent time living in the US and no one could understand me, so I ended up speaking in a weird sort of non accent which was definitely not my own for a while just to be understood ordering food etc. I’m back now and don’t live in Manchester anymore but still up north. My accent comes back in full force when I’m with old friends but it has become a lot more toned down through living abroad and my job now as I go all over the country. Do have clients repeating stuff I’ve said and laughing because I do still have a bit of a twang with certain words and don’t pronounce my T’s properly at the end of words 🙈

I’ve been told I sound like Toff - I don’t hear it. My school always made us practice Received Pronunciation so I put it down to that.

Everyone has an accent, it’s the way you speak. Once had an American say that they didn’t have one and wouldn’t have it that yes they did

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I am Berkshire born and bred, never lived anywhere else. The old Berkshire accent doesn't really exist anymore and I don't have it. I don’t have any strong feelings about my accent, it's quite soft and that's about it.

I’m from central Scotland and love my accent. Not weegie 🤣 like most I have my telephone voice and normal voice.

I love that us Scots can have a conversation in slang and people from elsewhere have no idea what we’re saying.

Also enjoyed being told to ‘speak English’ by English customers when I worked in a call centre years ago 🤣

Reactions: 3