Your accent

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I lived in N.I after I got married and I really struggled with the accent and was forever asking people to repeat themselves (this was the north of N.ireland so hardly a strong accent)

My son was born in N.I and lived there until he was 6 but doesn’t have an Irish or my local accent

I don’t hate my accent but a lot of people point it out to me. I’m from Stoke and so people pick up on the little ways I say things like look and book. We also say things like duck, shug, conna and ayup orate! Which can be like a different language! I don’t hate my accent but I think it sounds kind of funny at times. But I love it at work when I hear another Stokie- makes me feel comfy and at home. If I could chose an accent to have it would probably be Southern Ireland or some sort of Italian accent I think. I wouldn’t chose Stokie!!
whats conna?

Love my accent. Scottish, not too broad. Probably more sides to the posh end of the scale in terms of pronunciation when working, but day to day, generic Scottish sounding. Love it.

Reactions: 1
I’m from the south west and have a West Country accent which gets stronger the more drinks I have 🤣 I’m not that bothered by it but other people like to point out that I sound like a farmer. My sons dad is a brummie and when he goes to stay with him he comes home with a west mids twang so will be interesting to see how his accent develops as he grows up.

Reactions: 3
I’m from the midlands but it’s not a strong brummie accent, but you can tell, my cockney partner loves to take the piss out of how I say things 😂
I love accents, I talk to people all over the uk for work and my favourites are scouse, N.I, most northern accents actually and cockney too!
I always find it fascinating when people have moved to this country and with their foreign accent you just hear hints of the local accent popping out, for example Man United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, has a mash up Norwegian/manc accent I love it!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I moved around a lot in my 20’s and overseas for a few years, I’ve lost my accent. Think I sound like a blend of places 😂😂

Reactions: 2
I'm from South London - not posh but not common either. I love an Irish or an Australian accent

I'm from the West Country and do have an accent, not a strong one through.
Sometimes when im visiting relatives in London/ Hertfordshire they can pick up on my accent but being in the SW of England no one picks up on it.

My least favourite accent is Brummie - sorry.

I never thought I had much of an accent, even tho my husband and coworkers for example mock me for it all the time! I just can't hear it myself. I did a course a couple of years ago where they videoed us talking and we had to watch it back and I was so shocked! :ROFLMAO: I finally heard what everyone else hears and yep, it's pretty strong!

Generic estuary / Home Counties southern accent here... grew up in Essex, with a fairly strong twang that had the edges rounded off by living on the South coast for uni, where my friends were predominantly from upper middle-class/private school backgrounds. I remember coming home from my first term at Christmas and my oldest friend asking why I’d started talking funny. People now rarely guess where I’m from other than somewhere in the south.

My ‘original’ accent comes out stronger with family or friends from home, or after a few drinks!

As someone with an NI accent currently living in England, my accent has been described as an “angry man” so sometimes I hate it but mostly I’m okay with it 😂
ELIZABETH!! I always go straight to Jim McDonald when I think of a NI accent. Or the grandad in Derry Girls

Gloucestershire through and through and I love it

• Haha
I have an Yorkshire accent which I don’t mind. It annoys me when people say they “don’t have an accent.” Everyone has an accent 🙄

Reactions: 10
I have a Scottish accent but not one of the nice ones 😂 I know no one likes to hear their on voice back but mines makes me sound so rough 😂 I love a scouse accent & Newcastle 😊

• Heart
I grew up in Birmingham but never had a strong accent, or so I thought until I moved up to the north-west/north Wales area and people could notice it. I think I’ve now picked up some more northern-sounding words and even a hint of Scouse! (saying words that end -ck differently from how I used to). Personally though I love the NI accent, and the way they say, “so it is”.

Ive from a mid size town in Ireland but have a generic enough accent. People wouldnt be able to pinpoint where i am from.

I do sometimes think i can sound very country but other than that i quite like it

I’m from thr south east and wouldn’t say I had an accent. However when I lived in York I was told that I was very posh!
I’m not. I do pronounce my H’s T’s etc. And pull my children up if they say things like ain’t. The husband is from York and I find he puts H’s where they shouldn’t be. Not sure if that’s just him or a Yorkshire thing. And the children do say a few yorkshireism’s occasionally and I notice when they speak to him they might say Baf instead of Barth and other words that are pronounced differently in Yorkshire.

My accent is Northumbrian, people tend to think it's geordie, except for other geordies . I quite like it . We have our own dialect too.

• Heart