Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

AliceInWanderLost

VIP Member
In my family we call it Picky Bits which I think sounds worse!

I keep hearing youngsters using the word Leng?!
this has just unearthed a memory from when i was a kid and my family used to call what people now call a "picky tea" as "things on a plate" - like "what's for tea?" "things on a plate!" which, in retrospect, was weird! 🤣

"Mother Nature" dictates this or that especially in reference to health stuff - so shall we all die and not treat medical conditions just because they are "natural?" It's annoying outside of that too e.g. I recently saw an article about colouring your hair "the colour Mother Nature chose for you is the one that best suits your skin tone so don't go more than two shades lighter/darker!" No one "chose" anything for you, dye your hair whatever colour you want

or JusRollWithIt

VIP Member
Any word is ruined for me if it ends in a T or K and is pronounced with an extra harsh emphasis on that last sound. 😖

Also unpleasant:

Littles
Mumsie
Normalize

"Brain fog" - vague and overused, also (in context of "long COVID causes brain fog!" "brain fog is a symptom of menopause!" and so on) makes what is actually a form of brain damage sound harmless and normal

RaveChampion

Chatty Member
This ones just me-a personal Caprice.
I still feel compelled to share and "spread it" though.
Up until around the age of 13 I pronounced and spelled the word "ALBUM" - "ALBLUM"
Naturally I was soon disabused of this notion and had the piss taken until I stopped doing it - Grudgingly.

However despite the passage of time I still think/feel that "ALBLUM" sounds/reads/scans better. "Bum" sounds abrupt in comparison to "Blum" which actually sounds more "melodic" to me in this context.

What to do?

1. The English language could apologise to me and everyone else and issue a Firmware update to reflect this.

2. Someone will read this post and start mixing up the words and thus spread the "BLUM" virus.
I'm a subscriber to the "Language as a virus" thing.

mags

VIP Member
Burp;
pussy;
panties;
food baby;
awesome;
minging / minger;
bro;
gotten;
cis.

Bloody hell, I'm shuddering just writing them! 😂
Just curious....what would you say instead of "burp"?

I don't mind burp, minging and minger but yeah, I'm in complete agreement with the rest....especially awesome. 🤬

I hate the word numpty - it just rubs me the wrong way and I know I’m probably alone here.

Same as bless, specifically bless you, I find it very patronising. Esp when used with an aaaaaw.

The below aren’t so much the words but the way they’re used;

literally, usually followed by anything but.

obviously, again usually when speaking about something that isn’t so.