Words you can't stand

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Cringe when used as a noun. It is a verb.

Plate - when at school it was used to describe cunniligus.

Jamrag - again at school, it was used instead of sanitary towel 🤢

gong

Woke - when used as a pejorative word
---
That should be M ong not gong

Reactions: 1
Poorly.

So you're sick, right ? :rolleyes:
totally relate to your dislike of the word "poorly" - it sounds so infantile to hear an adult use "poorly" to describe how they are feeling!

in terms of "sick" though, it's interesting as to whether that is more about where you live. I'm in the UK, and i would be more likely to use the terms "not feeling well" or "ill" to refer to a general illness - things that other people would refer to as being "poorly" - whereas if someone is "sick", or used the phrase "i feel/i'm feeling sick" it would refer more to actual nausea/vomiting. obvs i know what "sick" means and that it can be used more generally - but i kinda feel like that us led to be more of an American term. 🤷🏻‍♂️

*this isn't me nitpicking or criticising in any way, I genuinely find it interesting that people use different words in different countries and/or regions to mean the same thing! 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 7
totally relate to your dislike of the word "poorly" - it sounds so infantile to hear an adult use "poorly" to describe how they are feeling!

in terms of "sick" though, it's interesting as to whether that is more about where you live. I'm in the UK, and i would be more likely to use the terms "not feeling well" or "ill" to refer to a general illness - things that other people would refer to as being "poorly" - whereas if someone is "sick", or used the phrase "i feel/i'm feeling sick" it would refer more to actual nausea/vomiting. obvs i know what "sick" means and that it can be used more generally - but i kinda feel like that us led to be more of an American term. 🤷🏻‍♂️

*this isn't me nitpicking or criticising in any way, I genuinely find it interesting that people use different words in different countries and/or regions to mean the same thing! 😅
I know what you mean though I tend to use sick more often. I don't know why but when I say 'ill' it sounds to me like I have some serious illness, not just a standard cold 🤣

I know what you mean though I tend to use sick more often. I don't know why but when I say 'ill' it sounds to me like I have some serious illness, not just a standard cold 🤣
that's interesting, as i would do the opposite - unwell/ill if it's a cold/flu/ear infection or whatever, but i would describe someone as being "sick" if it was a serious illness/disease. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: 3
Winningest. “having achieved the most success in competition.
"the winningest coach in pro-football history" It just sounds like a made up word.

• Sick
Reactions: 4

I totally get you...I'd also say " I'm not well" or "not feeling well"...I'm in Ireland. 😀
Another Irish way to say it would be "I'm banjaxed" or "I'm in bits"...i also find it funny and fascinating how we all use different words for the same thing!
The word poorly just gives me the absolute ICK!!
---
Yep!!

An independent coffee shop has described their coffee as ' artisanal' . I'm not even sure if that's a real word. My inner immaturity can't unsee the anal bit.

Actually, while I'm at it , I hate the word artisan. It's rarely used correctly.

Reactions: 5
Gotten is all over the place now!
Cackling
Popped (as in I popped to the shops)
Sling/bung
Loo

Reactions: 2
When people use the C word. It shocks me how frequently it’s used on here. It will never not shock me when I see it, and I find it deeply offensive that anyone can use part of a woman’s anatomy as nothing more than a casual insult.

• Haha
When people use the C word. It shocks me how frequently it’s used on here. It will never not shock me when I see it, and I find it deeply offensive that anyone can use part of a woman’s anatomy as nothing more than a casual insult.
But people also use parts of men's anatomy as insults. Dick, prick lol.

There are also gender neutral ones like hole 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 7
"Hate"

As used by various Tattlers.
Usually seems to equate to mild vexation/opprobium at best.
The Word ends up grotesquely over used and thus once again the meaning in demeaned. What word/s do you use then? Really hate/really really hate?

Also Prostate.
My sole objection is that it's too similar to prostrate.

In regards to bleep.
Ths one makes me chuckle tbh. It's predominately used by types who think it makes them sound "hard/tough" like the women prisoners talk in that film "Scrubbers", "Scum" or some Guy Ritchie Cockney atrocity. It's rarely used in the 1980's "Spare rib" feminist sense on here which I thought it may be tbh.
It doesn't offend me though it's just laughable like kids showing off.