William and Kate

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Apparently the Cambridges used access to the children as leverage for the press not going too hard on the Prince Andrew story, which is obscene. They palace can control the narrative the press decide to print. They do it through bargaining with the press, which is why Harry is so pissed off at the press and the Royal Rota.
How do you know this?

Reactions: 1
How do you know this?
Rumour, just like everything else but its known that they have their favoured reporters on the Royal Rota who are given stories in exchange for favourable access. The children are tabloid gold, and really the only thing, apart from Meghan and Harry that non Royal Watchers are interested in, apart from scandal.

Reactions: 4
I'm all ears for some good gossip here ;)

All I know is that Leti seems to be loved by most any royal watcher outside Spain and apparently loathed in Spain.
I never really bothered to look into why she's hated, though I saw posts claiming she's controlling, which is frankly the label most often stuck to women married into power and the gifs attached didn't have me convinced.

As complete outsider who doesn't follow the Bourbons too closely (mostly pics and then it's usually what Letizia wore 🙈 ) I always perceived her as great professional, always dressed well for the occasion (with exceptions, eg that flapper-style dress a couple of years ago to I think an old people's home?) and have assumed she's intelligent and does a good job due to her journalistic and academic background (she covered serious journalism and not some fluff during her career).

On a superficial note, I love her hair and I love how she's going gracefully grey! (nothing against dyeing at all, but it's nice to see that dyeing isn't quite a must anymore and someone in such a prominent position being so grey)
No comment on the face :censored:

So, long story short, if you know more I'd appreciate a few pointers if you know better and maybe some tea along the way if you can and are willing to share! 🙈🤭
You are correct, she is definitely not liked in Spain. When I first moved there, I was interested to learn more about her from people, but they didn't even want to bring her up in conversation. In general, the former Reina Sofía and Felipe are well liked, and Felipe is seen to have steadied the ship, somewhat. JC had a bit of a cultural resurgence in his latter years when he told Hugo Chavez of Venezuela to basically STFU. The next day you could not move for the usual tourist stalls selling scarves and every other kind of memorabilia imaginable with his words "¿Por qué no te callas?" emblazoned on them. He was seen as a bit of a hero for that, one of his last great acts as king.

When Felipe and Letizia visited us privately, he took the time to talk to each and every member of staff. He was really interested in our work (this was not long after the bombings) and made you feel special. I think that is something they must teach to Royals as a lot of them seem to have this capability. Leti I felt sorry for, she seemed painfully thin. She was wearing a dress with 3/4 length sleeves and her hands and wrists were not just slim but skeletal. Anyway, she was only interested in talking to the Ambassador and not us mere mortals. She even rolled her eyes a couple of times as she was being made to wait by Felipe, who was taking his time in talking to us. Very rude, and she left all of us with a poor opinion of her that day. My colleagues attended other events with her in the coming years and said she was no different; aloof, rude to her staff, only interested in talking to important people, unless the cameras are there. Another poster has mentioned the incident in church with her daughters and Reina Sofía. It was most unpleasant and uncalled for and most Spaniards took the side of Sofía. I agree with you about not being afraid to rock the grey hair though, and yes sadly, she is going the same way as Rania of Jordan, facially.

As others have said, the Euro Royals don't seem to be trapped by the gilded cage as much, as have better lives because of it. Sofía was always mooching around El Corte Inglés department store, Felipe was a regular at Joy Eslava nightclub, and you'd stop at the traffic lights and there was JC pulled up next to you on his motorbike. Nobody batted an eyelid, they just got on with it. There is a story about one of HMQ's last state visits to Spain whilst JC was still the King; he wanted to take her to one of his favourite restaurants, but she refused because she had never been to one and didn't see any reason to start going to them 😟 So yes they have a lot more freedom. (Also, she calls him Juanito and he calls her Lilibet).

Anyway I digress 😊

• Heart
You are correct, she is definitely not liked in Spain. When I first moved there, I was interested to learn more about her from people, but they didn't even want to bring her up in conversation. In general, the former Reina Sofía and Felipe are well liked, and Felipe is seen to have steadied the ship, somewhat. JC had a bit of a cultural resurgence in his latter years when he told Hugo Chavez of Venezuela to basically STFU. The next day you could not move for the usual tourist stalls selling scarves and every other kind of memorabilia imaginable with his words "¿Por qué no te callas?" emblazoned on them. He was seen as a bit of a hero for that, one of his last great acts as king.

When Felipe and Letizia visited us privately, he took the time to talk to each and every member of staff. He was really interested in our work (this was not long after the bombings) and made you feel special. I think that is something they must teach to Royals as a lot of them seem to have this capability. Leti I felt sorry for, she seemed painfully thin. She was wearing a dress with 3/4 length sleeves and her hands and wrists were not just slim but skeletal. Anyway, she was only interested in talking to the Ambassador and not us mere mortals. She even rolled her eyes a couple of times as she was being made to wait by Felipe, who was taking his time in talking to us. Very rude, and she left all of us with a poor opinion of her that day. My colleagues attended other events with her in the coming years and said she was no different; aloof, rude to her staff, only interested in talking to important people, unless the cameras are there. Another poster has mentioned the incident in church with her daughters and Reina Sofía. It was most unpleasant and uncalled for and most Spaniards took the side of Sofía. I agree with you about not being afraid to rock the grey hair though, and yes sadly, she is going the same way as Rania of Jordan, facially.

As others have said, the Euro Royals don't seem to be trapped by the gilded cage as much, as have better lives because of it. Sofía was always mooching around El Corte Inglés department store, Felipe was a regular at Joy Eslava nightclub, and you'd stop at the traffic lights and there was JC pulled up next to you on his motorbike. Nobody batted an eyelid, they just got on with it. There is a story about one of HMQ's last state visits to Spain whilst JC was still the King; he wanted to take her to one of his favourite restaurants, but she refused because she had never been to one and didn't see any reason to start going to them 😟 So yes they have a lot more freedom. (Also, she calls him Juanito and he calls her Lilibet).

Anyway I digress 😊
Wow I e never been that interested in the Euro Royals but they sound fascinating!

Wow I e never been that interested in the Euro Royals but they sound fascinating!
The story of how Norway’s Crown Prince met Mary is also really interesting. Because they’re not as famous, like Harry and William, he was in Australia and they just met in a bar and got talking and got to know each other.

Similar to Peter and Autumn Phillips, they met at work and it wasn’t until she opened a magazine and saw him with The Queen he told her she was his grandmother.

Slightly off topic but, Felipe is hot. William is NOT! 😂
He is defo hot, and must have 100% of his mothers Gene's, considering his dad was short and fat from what I remember! Wills started off more Di and is morphing into a Windsor.
( btw unforgotten 😲)

• Haha
Reactions: 6
The story of how Norway’s Crown Prince met Mary is also really interesting. Because they’re not as famous, like Harry and William, he was in Australia and they just met in a bar and got talking and got to know each other.

Similar to Peter and Autumn Phillips, they met at work and it wasn’t until she opened a magazine and saw him with The Queen he told her she was his grandmother.
Denmark - Frederik and Mary Donaldson.

Crown Prince Haakon of Norway is the one who married Mette-Marit who was an unmarried mother with a child by a drug dealer - MM and Haakon met at a festival! The whole family took them to their hearts and her son is considered a (private) family member, with Harald and Sonja treating him as their grandson; you often saw him in the pictures before he became an adult. (Edit - Haakon also didn't overstep his role as stepfather with Marius's parents jointly parenting; pictures of the three adults together were taken on important occasions such as first day of school, etc.) Sadly, Mette-Marit now has pulmonary fibrosis which limits her activities and may limit her life. Apparently, her official activities are kept joint with Haakon so he can go alone in case she is not well enough on the day. Their elder child together is Ingrid Alexandra who is a teenager and being seen more in public as the next heir.

Until the past couple of generations, the Scandinavian royals seemed to be on a never-ending roundabout of swapping princes and princesses, but they have now broken that mould with foreigners and/or plebs! Harald threatened to remain unmarried for life unless he could marry Sonja, Carl Gustav fell in love with the half-Brazilian, half-German Silvia at the Munich Olympics (after his marriage to a commoner, he then approved the marriage of his uncle Bertil to Lilian, making the Welsh daughter of a miner a princess, after they had lived together since WW2 so Bertil was available to act as regent for his infant nephew without being disinherited like his brothers), and Margrethe fell in love with the French Henri/Henrik as a student in London and he was working at the French Embassy - her sister Anne-Marie fell in love with Constantine, the then King of Greece and Sofía of Spain's brother, as a young teenager and married him shortly after turning eighteen.

With the Spanish royals, Leonore, the Princess of Asturias, is already taking her place as her father's heir, having given her first speech at thirteen and her first major speech at fourteen (note that, Kate Cambridge!). Queen Sofía has not followed her husband into exile (Edit - unsurprisingly given his affairs) and can still be seen with the family. Incidentally, Felipe is often considered mature royal sexiness, something William is unlikely to achieve 😉.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I’ve also noticed that since Harry & Megs fed some info to the press via Gayle King (about talks with William and Charles being “not very productive”), the Cambridges have been feeding their own stories to the press. Today’s is that Kate has been supporting William who has been “so upset”. A total non-story, but I have to say it’s fun watching all this tit-for-tat play out 🍿

Reactions: 9
That outfit today though 😬😬😬. Worst thing I've seen her in for a very long time and I am a fan of her style usually. I find the hair quite ageing too. Needs a good cut and restyle but don't we all?

Reactions: 5
I think William didn't want the same thing to happen to Kate as happened with his mum, but I suspect his way of doing that was to find out how much she would put up with and still want to marry him. William is a Windsor through and through. He wants the status quo. He will benefit hugely from the Status Quo. He didn't make the same mistake as his father, marrying a teenager and hoping she would bend to shape, he met a teenager and kept her hanging on a string until she had moulded herself into everything he wanted.
BINGO!

By treating Kate like Waity Kate he ensured the power balance in his relationship. She will never leave him, he made sure of that by practising his bad behaviour early on, to see how much she would put up with.

And it's getting kind of boring to hear Megan mentioned every time Kate is. Surely she was interesting enough before Meg came along. Or was she? ;)

By the way, since the Wills and Kate thread and the media circus is the Megan Show now, can anyone just take a minute to realise both brothers married so-called commoners? They went in the opposite direction of their parents failed marriage and married for love. That's awesome!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
They went in the opposite direction of their parents failed marriage and married for love. That's awesome!
They did. And that's progress. Why should Harry have married a 'suitable' bride when he fell in love with Meghan? What's the worst that could happen? They divorce- like most of the Queens children and one of her great grandchildren and her sister. Hardly worth the hysteria, which is only pushing them together. Same goes for Wills and Kate, although no one is saying he shouldn't have married her. She's a perfect Royal wife. If they divorce, they will have just fallen out of love like many others, not been forced into a doomed and miserable marriage of convenience.

Reactions: 5
Kate really does need to dress her age. Those shoes went out with the flood and that coat dress thing today would be more suited to camilla.

Of course she needs to wear clothes fitting of the role she has but why can't she showcase young designers with fresh ideas? Even if she doesn't want to use young designers, she is bound to have better options than what she's wearing.

Shes 39 years old, slim as a rake and would look amazing in more up to date clothes.

I would love to see her with a chin length hairdo

Reactions: 8
Kate dresses way too old for her age and it puts years on her. Obviously she has to dress conservatively, I'm not suggesting that she should head out in a crop top and hotpants, but she needs to have a look at how the European royals dress, especially Queen Letizia. She always looks very appropriate, but also very stylish and she's almost 10 years older than Kate yet looks the younger of the two.

Reactions: 12
Diana had the same role as Kate yet Diana was streaks ahead in the style game.
She was never afraid to wear something new fresh and modern yet she retained the grace in her clothes that the role dictates

Kate dresses way too old for her age and it puts years on her. Obviously she has to dress conservatively, I'm not suggesting that she should head out in a crop top and hotpants, but she needs to have a look at how the European royals dress, especially Queen Letizia. She always looks very appropriate, but also very stylish and she's almost 10 years older than Kate yet looks the younger of the two.
Agree, I know she can't be edgy and is trying to dress more like the future queen she is destined to be, but today's ensemble was like something the actual 94 year old Queen would wear. It looked like a cross between rice pudding and Anaglypta wallpaper. She is the same age as me and I wouldn't consider wearing something like that for at least another 20 years. Brown shoes and bag too 😬. I don't think Kate has much of an interest in fashion, or taking fashion risks, unlike Diana.

Diana had the same role as Kate yet Diana was streaks ahead in the style game.
She was never afraid to wear something new fresh and modern yet she retained the grace in her clothes that the role dictates
Remember the furore when Diana attended that evening do in America with her hair slicked back **clutches pearls**

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 7
Agree, I know she can't be edgy and is trying to dress more like the future queen she is destined to be, but today's ensemble was like something the actual 94 year old Queen would wear. It looked like a cross between rice pudding and Anaglypta wallpaper. She is the same age as me and I wouldn't consider wearing something like that for at least another 20 years. Brown shoes and bag too 😬. I don't think Kate has much of an interest in fashion, or taking fashion risks, unlike Diana.

Remember the furore when Diana attended that evening do in America with her hair slicked back **clutches pearls**
Well, Diana was a bit of a clown to be honest. She was acting out like a spoiled child (not really her fault when she was groomed into a marriage at 19). Her little tantrums and lashing out, combined with the way she played the victim in the press, is a masterclass for anyone who wants to learn. Please note though a disclaimer: the victim act doesn't work for mixed race wives of the royals, only white ones. :censored:

I think Kate's outfit was carefully selected to look like a wedding gown. Probably the last time she felt relevant in the press. We are all entitled to relive our past glory.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
MAybe Kate's coat was a nod to her wedding dress, given the location.

But her wedding day was certainly not the last time she felt relevant - this made me laugh actually. She had so many moments in the media last year - Hold Still, the Mary Berry Christmas TV Special, Photographer of the Year, 5 Questions etc

I think her outfit wasn't too bad, although she looked tired

Reactions: 11
Shes been in that location plenty of times and never given a nod to her wedding gown. It was pure white anyway and nothing at all like a cream coat

They went in the opposite direction of their parents failed marriage and married for love. That's awesome!
They did. And that's progress. Why should Harry have married a 'suitable' bride when he fell in love with Meghan? What's the worst that could happen? They divorce- like most of the Queens children and one of her great grandchildren and her sister. Hardly worth the hysteria, which is only pushing them together. Same goes for Wills and Kate, although no one is saying he shouldn't have married her. She's a perfect Royal wife. If they divorce, they will have just fallen out of love like many others, not been forced into a doomed and miserable marriage of convenience.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.