Who wants to go to the office?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If he’s central government he will have been offered some form of hybrid working.

There will be some policy that provides a framework or guidance for hybrid working. The majority of staff will spend a percentage of time working in the office & from home.

It’s concerning that you feel he would be sacked and not supported. Especially if he had a protected characteristic under the Equality Act. Think a lot of people feel they have to work in certain patterns or locations but covid has proven so many businesses and organisations across sectors are able to work more efficiently and dynamically with some staff homebased.

If he really feels like he would be sacked for asking to work from home he could maybe speak to HR or even union like unison

Same with your employer as well. You’d hope they would have a more inclusion and supportive approach.
He works for a private company, but is contracted to 'central government'. I've put it in abbreviated commas as I can't say where he's based or who he's contracted to. If the client says he's in, then he's in. He's had one month out of two years wfh and then he was told be has to be back in. I've already said too much but I do agree with you.
My manager is happy for us to carry on hybrid but if we take the piss then we're back in. I'm in a call centre environment and every second of our work day is logged. They know when I log in, how long my toilet break are and how long I've been typing up notes after a call. These stats will be analysed and they'll use the results to check productivity.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 5
He works for a private company, but is contracted to 'central government'. I've put it in abbreviated commas as I can't say where he's based or who he's contracted to. If the client says he's in, then he's in. He's had one month out of two years wfh and then he was told be has to be back in. I've already said too much but I do agree with you.
My manager is happy for us to carry on hybrid but if we take the piss then we're back in. I'm in a call centre environment and every second of our work day is logged. They know when I log in, how long my toilet break are and how long I've been typing up notes after a call. These stats will be analysed and they'll use the results to check productivity.
I would come unstuck very quickly with that type of monitoring. I tend to procrastinate for a few hours then have a massive spurt of productivity. Then back to faffing!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I would come unstuck very quickly with that type of monitoring. I tend to procrastinate for a few hours then have a massive spurt of productivity. Then back to faffing!
I've been here for five years and I still struggle with it. Its a totally different environment from what I'm used to. Pressing a button on your phone when you go to the loo seems so strange.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
I've been here for five years and I still struggle with it. Its a totally different environment from what I'm used to. Pressing a button on your phone when you go to the loo seems so strange.
Would not like that. My bowel movements and bladder demands are my business.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I'm not based in the UK and we don't get much of an allowance for commute over here. You have to sign-up for a one year subscription at a "reduced" rate which is taken out of your salary. Commuting in Ireland is more complicated as public transportation isn't that great in my opinion. I know people who have resigned or even decided to move countries altogether for better opportunities.

I can understand certain operational functions need to be present in the office, but a lot of functions don't. I don't think it's fair to say: "I'm going in, so it's only fair that those who don't come in get punished". You don't know what's going on in people's lives, especially after a two year pandemic. A lot of people have developed social anxiety (or anxiety period), mental health issues etc... You can't judge a person simply on the fact that they're not coming in. You'll have people who won't come in because they simply don't want to, but you can't generalize. If you chose to go back and abide by the rules, good for you, but no one should be policing anyone. At the end of the day, all contracts pre-pandemic never included a "post-pandemic work arrangements" clause, so businesses have the right to demand people coming back in, but it is a pity they won't adjust to the current times.

I'm not based in the UK and we don't get much of an allowance for commute over here. You have to sign-up for a one year subscription at a "reduced" rate which is taken out of your salary. Commuting in Ireland is more complicated as public transportation isn't that great in my opinion. I know people who have resigned or even decided to move countries altogether for better opportunities.

I can understand certain operational functions need to be present in the office, but a lot of functions don't. I don't think it's fair to say: "I'm going in, so it's only fair that those who don't come in get punished". You don't know what's going on in people's lives, especially after a two year pandemic. A lot of people have developed social anxiety (or anxiety period), mental health issues etc... You can't judge a person simply on the fact that they're not coming in. You'll have people who won't come in because they simply don't want to, but you can't generalize. If you chose to go back and abide by the rules, good for you, but no one should be policing anyone. At the end of the day, all contracts pre-pandemic never included a "post-pandemic work arrangements" clause, so businesses have the right to demand people coming back in, but it is a pity they won't adjust to the current times.
I am fully sympathetic to anxieties around coming into the office. My organisation has been amazing throughout this. But we have all been asked to come on a couple of days a week now. And only 10 per cent are complying. I do not believe that the other 90 per cent have health anxiety etc. More like they have got used to the freedom and better work life balance. I would rather WAH all the time, but I am complying. Those who aren’t, and don’t face any repercussions, are now on better terms and conditions than those that are. The bottom line is, you want a job with full flexibility, you may have to look elsewhere.

I believe in flexibility - but i do believe it has to work both ways.
If your company wants you in for something - then you do need to remember to consider the needs of the overall business.
I also believe that if you wish to WFH full time and you have London weighting then this should be moved from salaries - particularly Government Civil Servants. I have several friends who work for the big offices of state, who are pocketing their London weighting with no intention of ever returning to the office.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I just dont like the assumption that wfh is an easy ride. Ive worked so hard i burnt myself out covering for people who werent able to wfh. I sit in my spare room with no tv, podcasts on just like in the office. I think it says a lot more about work ethic of those who assume wfh people "take the piss" than the actual workers themselves!
If anything i do less in the office because im distracted by everything going on, or have ppl drop by my desk on the way to the loo or a meeting, or those weird ppl who ask you a question to your face rather than just message on teams

• Heart
Reactions: 14
I just dont like the assumption that wfh is an easy ride. Ive worked so hard i burnt myself out covering for people who werent able to wfh. I sit in my spare room with no tv, podcasts on just like in the office. I think it says a lot more about work ethic of those who assume wfh people "take the piss" than the actual workers themselves!
If anything i do less in the office because im distracted by everything going on, or have ppl drop by my desk on the way to the loo or a meeting, or those weird ppl who ask you a question to your face rather than just message on teams
No one is saying it’s an easy ride wfh. But it is in terms of less time and money spent travelling. And if I were a boss and I needed people in some of the time I would expect full compliance. Being allowed to wfh is something a lot of people can only dream of. Trying to not come in when you are lucky enough to be allowed wfh is wrong. Come in, all is well, stay away and risk financial penalties etc. Getting a job with full wfh is the answer, but expecting work to bend to every demand by employees because the pandemic forced in a different way of working is not on.

I don’t like going in, would prefer to wfh full time. I don’t particularly like my colleagues, and as we have to book a space now, you can look at diaries, see who you want to avoid, and sit somewhere completely different. I am headphones in, smile at people occasionally, go home. I don’t like it, but it is my prerogative to look for other employment too.

The issue I have is we have been told we must be in office 2 set days no choice. And the rest is up to our department head. I asked for clarification 2 months ago still waiting as no one knows, they are just playing it by ear. But Im asking for the 2 in office and 3 remote that I do now. I wont get it and will agree to 3, but if they try make me do 4 I will walk away. There is zero need for any of us in my company to be in that much.
They are also not telling us how the car park will be affected. Rumours are that it management only, I will accept that but if any minion gets to use it I will go straight to big boss and ask why Im not allowed.
When Im in the office I watch the clock the whole day and Im out of there on the dot, when Im on the bus I will be worse as Im just not into hanging around bus stops for ages when Dublin Bus just decides to lose buses all the time.
I understand the need to get back to it but the world and most of us have changed over the last 2 years.
The people telling us we need to shut up get on a crowded bus and get in to office all have the option to stay home whenever they want.

Reactions: 1
No one is saying it’s an easy ride wfh. But it is in terms of less time and money spent travelling. And if I were a boss and I needed people in some of the time I would expect full compliance. Being allowed to wfh is something a lot of people can only dream of. Trying to not come in when you are lucky enough to be allowed wfh is wrong. Come in, all is well, stay away and risk financial penalties etc. Getting a job with full wfh is the answer, but expecting work to bend to every demand by employees because the pandemic forced in a different way of working is not on.

I don’t like going in, would prefer to wfh full time. I don’t particularly like my colleagues, and as we have to book a space now, you can look at diaries, see who you want to avoid, and sit somewhere completely different. I am headphones in, smile at people occasionally, go home. I don’t like it, but it is my prerogative to look for other employment too.
Theres absolutely loads of ppl who say people working from home do nothing. Demonised in the press as sitting wobbling a mouse, watching this morning all day

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I’m still doing hybrid 3 days in, 2 days at home. However with various reasons from each team member, it looks like i’ll be on my own in the office tomorrow :ROFLMAO: So much for company!

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Theres absolutely loads of ppl who say people working from home do nothing.
Yes! My Mum says this to me all the time (I'm doing a mix at the moment). What she means is she personally doesn't have the discipline to work at home so she assumes everyone else doing so is just as lazy as her. I find a day out of the house an easy ride now - an enforced lunch time, end of day time, few chats here and there that waste time? Yes please. At home, I forget about/work through lunch, never 'leave' on time because I'll always think 'I'll just finish XYZ', nobody to talk to to pass/waste some time...I get masses done. If you can't, then by all means go to work, but other people's inability to manage their time at home is not my problem 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 16
Yes! My Mum says this to me all the time (I'm doing a mix at the moment). What she means is she personally doesn't have the discipline to work at home so she assumes everyone else doing so is just as lazy as her. I find a day out of the house an easy ride now - an enforced lunch time, end of day time, few chats here and there that waste time? Yes please. At home, I forget about/work through lunch, never 'leave' on time because I'll always think 'I'll just finish XYZ', nobody to talk to to pass/waste some time...I get masses done. If you can't, then by all means go to work, but other people's inability to manage their time at home is not my problem 🤷‍♀️
Exactly! I just find the peace easier to think and actually do my job

• Heart
I work with two colleagues (family members in same department) 😳 neither have come into the office for months making excuses of stress and commute, except once, although we were all told to come in any workday 2x week. I’ve not seen either since the Omicron pandemic struck end of November 😬 However, I’ve come in office to comply with the management, even with a cold 🤧 not even had time to read Tattle 😆

Reactions: 1
I work with two colleagues (family members in same department) 😳 neither have come into the office for months making excuses of stress and commute, except once, although we were all told to come in any workday 2x week. I’ve not seen either since the Omicron pandemic struck end of November 😬 However, I’ve come in office to comply with the management, even with a cold 🤧 not even had time to read Tattle 😆
Do you know why they havent come in? Everyone is different so you cant really compare, but i really hoped after all this people wouldnt go into the office sick.
I stayed away from the office as long as i could because they lied about the precautions and went in sick, went in after being pinged by the NHS etc and i have vulnerable people all around me.
Being able to 100% say I am no risk to those around me was the number 1 priority. There will be people in the office who dont know this, who might compare their own efforts to get in as if it is the same.

Do you know why they havent come in? Everyone is different so you cant really compare, but i really hoped after all this people wouldnt go into the office sick.
I stayed away from the office as long as i could because they lied about the precautions and went in sick, went in after being pinged by the NHS etc and i have vulnerable people all around me.
Being able to 100% say I am no risk to those around me was the number 1 priority. There will be people in the office who dont know this, who might compare their own efforts to get in as if it is the same.
Once free tests stop we'll all be going into work sick. I'd have be very unwell to miss a day, as in I can't get out of bed. Omicron was milk thank goodness and if I get it now as I wasn't feeling that unwell I'd be going in. We still have screens up but I've has a cold for a month, I can't be off that long.

Reactions: 4
Once free tests stop we'll all be going into work sick. I'd have be very unwell to miss a day, as in I can't get out of bed. Omicron was milk thank goodness and if I get it now as I wasn't feeling that unwell I'd be going in. We still have screens up but I've has a cold for a month, I can't be off that long.
I just think its terrible that the expectations after all this are to go into work sick. Not talking about covid specifically but colds, flus. Why the hell should everyone have to suffer? I remember our whole office getting a sickness bug because 1 person couldnt possibly take a day off. Now we have proven ability to work from home, why still endure this old fashioned thinking. Utterly bizarre and backwards

Reactions: 10
I just think its terrible that the expectations after all this are to go into work sick. Not talking about covid specifically but colds, flus. Why the hell should everyone have to suffer? I remember our whole office getting a sickness bug because 1 person couldnt possibly take a day off. Now we have proven ability to work from home, why still endure this old fashioned thinking. Utterly bizarre and backwards
Not everybody wants to work from home. I like hybrid, I like my colleagues and I also like being at home. Employers will see their staff posting their holiday, nights out, festival and family day photos on social media and will naturally then, as its business as usual want staff in. We can't help ourselves, we complain its back to the office but then mjx with people in bars and clubs etc.

They both drive into work so it seems to be about childcare, commute and traffic, not so much about Covid risk. Yes, to be fair no one should need to come in with cold, or risk catching it, and the warm office is a breeding ground perhaps.
Long term they won’t be able to stay away from office as we have a meeting performance review next week and it will be brought up. If we were all told had at least come in once a week, that might have been reasonable… maybe two dpw is a stretch for many atm 😒

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.