Which news story has always stuck with you?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
James Bulger. I grew up near where it happened, a bit later mind and it breaks my heart to think about. My heart goes out to the family.
I was the same age as those little shits responsible when this happened and it shocked me even then. Now I'm a mother of a 2 year old boy and I cannot even comprehend how his mother carried on after that. I don't think I could.

I wish I could erase the story from my mind as it truly does mess with me, more so now I'm a mum. Makes my eyes fill up even thinking about it. One of the worst news stories in UK history.

I think the mother passed away. She will be with her babies now. I truly believe that.

I don’t think she ever woke up so didn’t have to, thank goodness. As a mother, that is honestly my worst nightmare.

Yeah the mother passed away sadly after about a year in hospital. Truly horrific story.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
1) A few years ago four people were killed at a water park in Australia when the ride they were on malfunctioned.

2) There was a news story about a girl called Vicky Harrison that killed herself because she couldn't find a job for 2 years and felt like a failure. I have felt like that too when unemployed.

3) A teenage boy sat down on the sofa to have a cup of tea with his dad and nan, and just died of SADS (sudden adult death syndrome, undetected heart problem)

There have been loads that have stuck with me over the years though.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
1) A few years ago four people were killed at a water park in Australia when the ride they were on malfunctioned.

2) There was a news story about a girl called Vicky Harrison that killed herself because she couldn't find a job for 2 years and felt like a failure. I have felt like that too when unemployed.

3) A teenage boy sat down on the sofa to have a cup of tea with his dad and nan, and just died of SADS (sudden adult death syndrome, undetected heart problem)

There have been loads that have stuck with me over the years though.
Your no 3 has just made me shudder as happened to a colleague of mine. She was up on a Monday morning and had called her teenage daughter to get ready for work, she’d heard a noise from her room but when she hadn’t seen her get up she went in and she was dead but still warm so the noise she heard (I think she said it was like a snort/intake of breath) may have been her actually dying. It was so shocking and heartbreaking.

• Sad
Reactions: 17
There was a story in the paper a while back that has haunted me ever since. It is so awful.

A doctor decided to surprise her lover with a visit. So she scaled a ladder to the roof, removed the chimney cap and slid down the flue of the property in California.

The lover obviously did not know about this (or maybe just ignored it - as he described the relationship as "on and off") and her decomposing body was found days later wedged inside the chimney of his home!

She was believed to have been stuck in the chimney for three days.

Can you imagine the sheer horror of that situation? To go down there as a bit of a lark and then find you are completely stuck and alone!

I am claustrophobic so this scenario is utterly unbearable to even think about.
Can you remember the poor boy who was about 7 who was out playing on his own and wandered into a building site - found days later trapped in a pipe after sliding in.

• Sad
Reactions: 11
There was also that awful incident when a girl named Jade Anderson was mauled to death by a friends dogs. It happened not too far from where I am from, very sad and scary.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 5
Leah Betts. The photo of her in the coma. It influenced how I was around drugs and there was no better “just say no” campaign for me. I just automatically thought I’d take an ecstasy and end up like her. To this day, I’ve never ever touched it. All my friends did. It certainly shaped my attitude to it. I felt very confident to refuse, without hesitation.

Must have been so very painful for her parents to have shared that photo? But it certainly stopped me from experimenting with it.
Rachel Whitear is another persons photo I’ve never forgotten. So sad.

Reactions: 5
For me it’s the murder of James Bulger, many times I think about him and his mum. I still can’t believe that two children did this to a toddler and how evil could show up like that.
I also think about Sarah Payne and how scary the world felt when she was murdered. The same with Hollie and Jessica.
I had only seen April Jones a few weeks before she was murdered and I still remember the shock of realising that was the lovely little girl I had met. She was so small and innocent, like a little angel- only a monster could have done that to her. Pure evil.

Lockerbie also played heavily on my mind. I remember as a young girl seeing the haunting image of the cockpit in the field on all the front pages of the newspapers. I now live under a flight path and I often get the jitters hearing planes take off. Which is highly ironic because I’m cabin crew and my partner is a pilot. So even though it plays on my mind I often think it couldn’t have bothered me that much. But if I’m honest I’m more scared of aircraft crashing near my house than me being in an air crash. Bizarrely it’s my most recurrent dream- that I see a plane falling from the sky.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
One that stuck with me happened in 2011. A local man (I use the term loosely) beat his one month old baby in what they called “a murderous attack”. Poor little mite was left with fractured ribs and a punctured lung, all because the baby weed on him.

My baby was a couple of days younger than the baby in question. And him and his wife were in the same anti-natal class as me, and I remember how odd he was then and his wife was really embarrassed by him. He would ask the most bizarre inappropriate questions to the midwife.... like catching the baby With goal keeper gloves... and how far it would land if it fell out and he had to Catch it.

We felt physically sick when we found out. The local community was like a lynch mob and there was riots outside the house he was hiding in after.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 16
For me it’s the murder of James Bulger, many times I think about him and his mum. I still can’t believe that two children did this to a toddler and how evil could show up like that.
I also think about Sarah Payne and how scary the world felt when she was murdered. The same with Hollie and Jessica.
I had only seen April Jones a few weeks before she was murdered and I still remember the shock of realising that was the lovely little girl I had met. She was so small and innocent, like a little angel- only a monster could have done that to her. Pure evil.

Lockerbie also played heavily on my mind. I remember as a young girl seeing the haunting image of the cockpit in the field on all the front pages of the newspapers. I now live under a flight path and I often get the jitters hearing planes take off. Which is highly ironic because I’m cabin crew and my partner is a pilot. So even though it plays on my mind I often think it couldn’t have bothered me that much. But if I’m honest I’m more scared of aircraft crashing near my house than me being in an air crash. Bizarrely it’s my most recurrent dream- that I see a plane falling from the sky.
I ave the plane falling out the sky recurring dream too. I even remark that I have dreams about it , in my dream !

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Tia Sharp
I remember feeling suspicious about her killer because he was rambling and going on about irrelevant stuff when he was interviewed on the news (before he was found out)

• Sad
Reactions: 16
I ave the plane falling out the sky recurring dream too. I even remark that I have dreams about it , in my dream !
Really?!!! I wonder why we dream it so often! Iv always had it. What’s bizzare is that the aircraft I see falling is usually always outside my childhood home in a field- never really anywhere else. But I see it falling and then going up in flames. It’s horrible xx

Reactions: 1
One story I always think about at this time of year is of a mother going up into the loft to bring Christmas decorations down. She fell and died instantly in front of her children. It’s heartbreaking. I often think of those poor children.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
The sixteen year old boy abducting and murdering the six year old little girl on the Isle of Bute. She was staying with her grandparents and her mother was back in Glasgow and apparently found out the news of her daughter's death over Facebook. What made me so upset was apparently the little girl woke up while the boy was carrying her and asked who he was before he did the unspeakable things to her. The sheer terror and suffering she went through. I had just had my first baby when I saw the news, and wanted to wrap him up in cotton wool there and then.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
The sixteen year old boy abducting and murdering the six year old little girl on the Isle of Bude. She was staying with her grandparents and her mother was back in Glasgow and apparently found out the news of her daughter's death over Facebook. What made me so upset was apparently the little girl woke up while the boy was carrying her and asked who he was before he did the unspeakable things to her. The sheer terror and suffering she went through. I had just had my first baby when I saw the news, and wanted to wrap him up in cotton wool there and then.
Yes that was absolutely awful

• Sad
Reactions: 3
A few years ago there was a family who were killed in an arson attack in Manchester a few days before Christmas. The mum survived but had terrible inquiries and in was in hospital for months, I don’t think she even attended their funerals. It was so awful and for some reason I couldn’t get them out of my head for ages afterwards.
That was so sad. When she died I felt relief for her that she was at peace and no longer in pain, both physically and emotionally.

Reactions: 9
Tia Sharp
I remember feeling suspicious about her killer because he was rambling and going on about irrelevant stuff when he was interviewed on the news (before he was found out)

I'm from Croydon and remember that case very well. There were photos of her all over town. We said from the beginning that she never left that house.

I remember reading in a newspaper about a little girl that was allergic to everything, including water. She had to live inside a plastic tent bubble so she wasn't exposed to anything. . That was years ago so she will be all grown up now but I have often wondered over the years how she was doing

To put a more upbeat story in the story of the trapped miners in Chile. I followed that story religiously, and watched the rescue. Everytime another one was brought up was amazing. Similar feels with the trapped boys in the cave.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.