Where were you when? Memories from important historical events.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Diana - i remember some girls talking about it at school, i didn't really pay much attention. i remember my mum had been at work all day and not heard the news and i told her when she picked me up. she didn't believe me til we got home.

Take That - i was in y 5 of primary school and an older girl had a take that t shirt on and she was crying throughout the assembly. i remember laughing because i thought it was so silly she was crying over a boy band.

9/11 i came home sick from school and it came on the tv, i watched the whole thing all day it was the 1st time I truly understood terrorism.

I remember finding out the Manchester arena bombing from a post on mumsnet as it was all happening, there was posters saying Hayley (i cant recall her name) from corrie had tweeted it was just balloons going off before it came on as breaking news on bbc. I think i was too young for real impact of 9/11 to hit me but the arena bombing and seeing all the victims faces really upset me. Particularly one girl from a remote Scottish island, i remember tearing up seeing her coffin making its way back to the island on a beach procession.
I had found out the morning after the attack happened, 3 of my friends were there. Fortunately they were all safe but the emotional scars will never heal. I'll never forget our 22 angels 💔Brings me to tears just thinking about it.

Reactions: 1
Princess Diana: We were on our way to the airport to drop my parents off to go on holiday to Greece.

Berlin Wall: I was 9 and remember seeing it on TV, but I honestly don't remember much about it (and I am german 😬)

9/11: I was on my way home from work when I heard it on the radio. I got home and told my dad who was working in his garden and he asked if it was April fools day.

Reactions: 1
9/11 I was 18, I'd just come home after a shift and it was all over the tv. My parents were on holiday in New York at the time so I tried ringing them but all the phone lines were down. It was so scary I didn't know if they were even alive. About 6 hours later my mum rang me to say they were ok. When they flew home a week or so later, there was still smoke coming from the rubble.
crazy because my daughter is 18 now and on 9/11 I left hospital with her, I did think what the hell is she being born into..

9/11 - GCSE French class. TV wheeled in (remember TVs in wheels?!)

Diana's death - at home at the end of the summer hols. Mum woke me up to tell me. I remember when we went back to school, our first piece of work was to write a newspaper article about it.

Berlin Wall - not a clue as I was only 4!

Take That - not a clue. Wasn't really a fan at the time.

Other big one for me (being from NI) is Omagh Bomb. Was in Glasgow visiting family and sat in the hotel room all day watching the news.

Bloody hell that told me. I was 13 so it was a loooooong time ago and all I recall is it being all that was discussed in school for the day and was our first day back. Pardon my ignorance 😂😂
It was right at the end of the summer holidays from memory - like end of August I think, so that makes sense x

Last edited:
9/11 I was off school porley. I remember my mum talking to the neighbour about it and then me running out to tell her the second tower hit. I didn't even know what the WTC was. I also thought my friends were going to die on their way home from school that day from a terrorist attack.

9/11 I was at home as we were moving house to a different county.

why would schools pull TVs out and show kids terrorist attacks?

Diana i found out when I switched the tv on. I was about 6. Ran into the kitchen to tell my mum and she didn’t believe me.

911- out doing thr weekly shop with my mum and it came on over the radio

Diana- was on holiday in Turkey when she died and also for her funeral! We all watched it huddled around the hotel reception t.v. I was 15

I don't remember 9/11 as i was nearly 6, but everyone i ask who was old enough remembers exactly what they were doing. Same with Princess Diana. I also strangely don't remember 7/7.

I remember Manchester though, my best friend the day before told me he was going to see Ariana in Manchester and when I woke up to the news my first thought was OMG my friend is there!! Tried calling him and his phone was off... i was really starting to freak out and i remember watching the news that day waiting for his face to appear on the victims. Thankfully he contacted me later that day saying he was safe. So terrifying. i also remember crying when I saw one of the girls who was found dead's mum pleading for her to get in touch on the news. :( Heartbreaking and I'll never forget it