Where were you when? Memories from important historical events.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
9/11 I gave birth and was in hospital. So remember leaving the hospital that day. Princess Di died on a Sunday in the early hours. It had been on the news all day Sunday and Monday. I am sure it was a bank holiday weekend? I remember I went out on the Monday night to a bar in London. The bars were really busy. It's all people were talking about. The 7/7 bombings I was pregnant. I had been for a scan that week in London. I remember thinking what if it had been that day. High street Kensington bombings I was working that day. I heard them go off while eating lunch in the park with friends. We came out of the park and the high street was taped off. Sirens going off police everywhere. We were lucky we were in the park at the time.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
9/11 id just got home from school when the second plane hit. My sister and I were glued to the tv the rest of the night.

7/7 I was in London at an internship in Camden. I’d never seen my stepfather cry before that day.

9/11 - walking through the town centre to go to my college lesson. Walked past a telly shop and just stood there in amazement. I rang my dad straight to say wtf is going on?

Diana - Sunday morning all very surreal. Remember waking up to it and was actually very sad.

Take That - I was more upset about Robbie leaving. I was off on a club 18-30 holiday that day and I was a right mess I’m sure my mates would of been quite happy to leave me back home to mourn😂

Manchester Arena Bombing - my niece was at the concert. I’d gone to bed decided to check Twitter, read that an explosion had gone off jumped out of bed, got in my car in my pyjamas and spent 4 hours searching for her. She was ok but you couldn’t get anywhere close to get to them as everything was cornered off. What a scary night that was.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Princess Diana I was in Blackpool with my friend and her parents for her birthday. We were high school age my greatgrandma died the same day .

9/11 I was at college , I'm pretty sure it was a Tuesday as me and my group of friends were all hungover following student night Monday. One of the boys on our course parents were in New York at the time so he had a empty house , 4 of us went back to his and just numbly watched the news for about 20 hours straight ( and smoked loads of joints) ** his parents were safe**

Don't remember take that was never a fan anyway

I was working on 9/11, (despatching as I have done for 30 years) and at the time I was on Contract for the Bank Of New York based at Canary Wharf.
As things were happening I heard vague reports and I got a little worried, I started to think that what was happening in the States was going to
happen to the UK within hours or the next 48 hours. I really thought the UK especially London was a target and there was me working in a
potential target area. Got home and nearly puked my guts up when I heard what really happened, I wasn't keen on working but as I've face the
threat of terrorism in the UK most my life it didn't stop me from working.

Nail Bomb in Soho, I was in the street collecting a cheque in the same street as the explosion 5 hours earlier.

7/7 London bombings, I was home recovering from an operation, I watched the whole thing play out on TV, I was gutted and also worried about my fellow couriers. I even rang up the courier company to see if every one was okay, I didn't lose any fellow couriers on that day thankfully.

Last edited:
Princess Diana - I was a nearly 17 year old hungover in my bedroom with about 7 other people who had slept over at my house😂 woke up with my sister screaming up the stairs that princess Diana had died and we all lay there for hours watching the news on tv.

9/11 I was nearly 21 with a nearly one year old. My friend and her sister had come to visit and for lunch and the tv was on in the background as we all chatted and played with my kid. We saw the breaking news of a plane crash and then watched the second plane crash in to the tower. I sat there all day watching the live footage!

I’d lost interest in both take that and spice girls by the time they’d split up but I remember spice girls being all over the news that day

9/11? I arrived at the dentist and they said "Have you heard the news?" I hadn't. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit I'd never heard of the twin towers. I think I was 16/17.
Princess Diana’s death? In bed because it was overnight but my friend called me to tell me in the morning.
When the Berlin Wall came down? I remember watching this on Wacaday and Timmy Mallet gave away pieces of it
when take that broke up? I remember it happening but I wasn't a fan by the time they broke up. I was a huge fan in the beginning

Diana's death - I'd got up to watch Sunday morning TV (remember Fully Booked anyone? No? To be fair, it was crap...) and it was the news. I woke my parents up and told them.

9/11 - I was at college, and text messages came through to a few of us that a plane had smashed into tower one - we then couldn't focus so got sent home - I was through the door to find my parents watching the news, and I'd literally been in a minute when the first tower collapsed.

Take That - was devastated when Robbie left (the whole crying shebang!), but when they actually split as a group I wasn't surprised, kinda thought the writing was on the wall once Rob was gone.

Do you remember where you were when important events in history went down?

9/11?
Princess Diana’s death?
When the Berlin Wall came down?
when take that broke up?
9/11, I was at my gran's after school and remember seeing it on the news. My mum and I then went to Tesco where all the tvs were playing as one of the towers fell.

9/11 I was 18, I'd just come home after a shift and it was all over the tv. My parents were on holiday in New York at the time so I tried ringing them but all the phone lines were down. It was so scary I didn't know if they were even alive. About 6 hours later my mum rang me to say they were ok. When they flew home a week or so later, there was still smoke coming from the rubble.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
9/11 at work as. Junior as an estate agents a colleague rang in to say get on the internet as he’d just seen it on a vendors tv. Princess Diana I was in hospital having an overgrown earring pulled out 🤢
7/7 at Work & worried sick about a friend who took the tube to work. She was ok x

Princess Dianas death - I was on my hen night. I came home drunk and saw it all on the news.

My actual wedding day was the day of her funeral. The place doing my hair and makeup rang me on the Wednesday to cancel, but then relented and on the day they did my hair and make up in silence and they watched the funeral on a portable tv and one of them kept bursting into tears 😕

9/11? -- At work
Princess Diana’s death? -- Just got into work and found out from a colleague
When the Berlin Wall came down? -- In my first year at art school. So drunk or high for the first few months of term I had no clue it happened. Shameful.
when take that broke up? -- I have no clue so I am guessing I was at work again. :rolleyes:

I was also at work when an IRA bomb went off in the pub across the street. We heard it go off, windows shook etc., and we all looked at each other and agreed it was a bomb. We had to evacuate...obviously. Bomb threats were pretty common back then on trains etc., so an actual bomb didn't seem that unexpected. Sadly, one person died. :( That was in 1992.

• Wow
Reactions: 1
9/11: I was 7 mths pregnant sitting in my MIL gobsmacked at what I was seeing on TV .We thought they had cut to some disaster movie. Diana: In Bed and heard nxt door neighbour come in and say to my mum she had been killed. No Idea about the other two .But I remember I was in the car outside Tesco when the newsflash came on about the Omagh bomb going off.

9/11 I had came home from secondary school i was 14 put tv on and was scared that the uk would be next to be hit,I'd never knew what terrorists were before then lived in my own teenager bubble.

Princess Diana’s death I was 10 years old stayed at my friend's house and woke up to her mum sobbing that the princess had died,we watched it in her mums room (normally her room was out of bounds)her mum was the type of women who would be in her good clothes and makeup.that day she didnt get dressed.

When the Berlin Wall came down? I was to young to remember this.

when take that broke up? I was 8 wasnt into them. I can remember my older cousin crying about them breaking up.

Spice girls I adored them I was 10 and when they broke up I sobbed my little heart out 😂🙈

9/11 at school. Remember coming home to my mum watching it on sky news

Princess Diana's death- in a car on the way home from the lake District, remember waking up that morning at my grand house and seeing it on GMTV

Berlin wall- probably In a Moses basket if we're going with it falling in 89

Take that...at school probably but too young to care who they were 😂
What year did they break up??

9/11 - I remember the news being on at home then the next day the entire school was talking about it.

Diana's death - first one up in the house,, watching the news (not sure why as I was only about 9 ) my dad came down and I told him she had died... He didn't believe me till he saw the TV.

Diana's death - I dint remeber as I was only 5 but I do remember seeing my Mum crying watching the funeral and it worried me because I didn't know why she was upset.

Geri leaving the Spice Girls - I was on holiday in Jamaica when it happened and I remeber one of my friends telling me when I went back to school.

9/11 - I was in year 5 and I think school kept it quiet but I remeber my Mum talking to me about it on the way home and seeing it on the TV when I got home from school which wasn't long after the second tower fell.

7/7 bombings - I was in year 8 and the teachers had the news projected up on the smart boards pretty much all day.

Manchester Arena bombings - I went to bed just as news reports came in of "loud bangs" at the arena. At first they were saying they thought some speakers had blown or something and I just went to bed. Not long after my husband came and told me that it was actually bombing. He works in a hospital in Manchester and got a call to see if he could go in as part of the major incident plan. He missed the phone call and when he called back they had enough people to go in that night and told him he would be needed in the morning to relieve people.

Diana my mum told me I was 14 and it was very surreal. I remember watching the tv and William and Harry going out to say thank you to mourners etc and some woman literally grabbing at William and wailing “WILLIAM WILLIAM HARRY WILLIAM”

Twin towers mum who’s a bit of a anxious scaremonger met me walking down the road and told me to go STRAIGHT home and stay there. She was expecting something to happen in the uk.

I remember seeing nelson Mandela leave prison on tv news special broadcast.

9/11 - like many, cane home after school and it was on the news. Didn’t even know what the towers were.

Diana - on a early coach trip to the seaside. Didn’t understand why the radio wasn’t playing any music. The got there and all the flags down the pier were half mast