What’s annoying you right now? #4

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I was going to apply for a rather interesting ESG role. I went through the regular education/experience questions, then I saw the "diversity" questionnaire requesting the below information:
  • Race affiliation
  • Highest level of education achieved by parents
  • Were you availing of Free School Meals at any point during your school years?
  • What type of school did you attend (State-run, independent paying school etc..)?
  • Would you describe yourself as coming from a lower socio-economic background?
I was astonished. What on earth is this? I don't believe these questions are genuinely asked in the name of so-called "diversity". These are quite discriminatory/intrusive questions that no one should be required to answer within the scope of a job application. It infringes several legal principles. Whilst I've seen "race" and "sexual orientation" being listed in questions for another companies, the above listed are the cherry on top. What does my parents' level of education or free school meals have anything to do with my professional capacities and credentials at this stage? Smaller niche companies are sometimes out of this world with their application process.

Definitely cancelled the whole process once I saw these highly discriminatory questions in the same of "diversity". Yeah, right.
This makes me feel so uncomfortable.

Reactions: 5
I have a friend who keeps making sly digs at me. The latest one was “I thought I saw you today… (then she described me horribly”).

I had already told her it wasn’t me!

It was a dig.
Not really a friend then are they? A friend wouldn’t do that.

I am attempting to toilet train MiniGlenCoco and I just feel rubbish about it. My parents have been pressuring me to do it for about 12 months now and reckon that I will have loads of issues because I've left it too long 🙄
They will do it when they’re ready. Don’t let anybody pressure you. ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Trying to write a shopping list. I hate trying to come up with meal ideas.

Reactions: 2
I was going to apply for a rather interesting ESG role. Went through the regular education/experience questions, then I saw the "diversity" questionnaire requesting the below information:
  • Race affiliation
  • Highest level of education achieved by parents by the time you turned 18
  • What type of school did you attend (State-run selective school, state run non-selective, independent fee-paying school etc..)?
  • Would you describe yourself as coming from a lower socio-economic background compared to people in general?
I was astonished. What on earth is this? I don't believe these questions are genuinely asked in the name of so-called "diversity". These are quite discriminatory/intrusive questions that no one should be required to answer within the scope of a job application. It infringes several legal principles. Whilst I've seen "race" and "sexual orientation" being listed in questions for another companies, the above listed are the cherry on top. What does my parents' level of education or free school meals have anything to do with my professional capacities and credentials at this stage? Besides, the "compared to people in general" - what does this even mean? Smaller niche companies are sometimes out of this world with their application process.

Definitely cancelled the whole process once I saw these highly discriminatory questions in the same of "diversity". Yeah, right. Supposedly, the data will never be linked back to the individual application or be seen by the hiring manager. Well, surely enough, if they are part of the application questionnaire and you can't submit your application before answering these questions, then yes, by default the answers will be linked to your application. Who on earth are they fooling, I wonder.
My SiL works for a well known insurance company and they do this
No doubt this will come under positive discrimination. Before, that covered just ethnicity and then it was expanded to include sexual orientation too but what we see today is that a lot of jobs go to middle class degree holders and exclude people from poorer backgrounds or who haven't had the same educational opportunities.

People without degrees are complaining of losing out on jobs that are perfectly do-able without a degree (I think the telegraph did an article on it last year)
Companies have to meet targets when it comes to diversity and it looks like they are expanding what that diversity box includes. My guess is this is going to become standard in the recruitment process.

Reactions: 3
That I'm trying the ice in front of the fan to cool down. Am I doing it right? Don't notice a difference. This weather is making me feel 🤢

My SiL works for a well known insurance company and they do this
No doubt this will come under positive discrimination. Before, that covered just ethnicity and then it was expanded to include sexual orientation too but what we see today is that a lot of jobs go to middle class degree holders and exclude people from poorer backgrounds or who haven't had the same educational opportunities.

People without degrees are complaining of losing out on jobs that are perfectly do-able without a degree (I think the telegraph did an article on it last year)
Companies have to meet targets when it comes to diversity and it looks like they are expanding what that diversity box includes. My guess is this is going to become standard in the recruitment process.
I think the socio-economic background is not an appropriate question. You can come from a low socio-economic background, but attended fee-paying schools and top universities with a plethora of financial sources of support. Higher education is free in many European countries in order to provide access to higher education to everyone. Same goes, you can come from an affluent economic background and decided not to attend college for various reasons. I really don't think the socio-economic background you at between 11-18 and should be factored in. People without degrees are still going to be rejected from jobs due to lack of higher education, the same way minority people are going to be rejected. Positive discrimination is only smokescreen. You don't need an intrusive questionnaire to objectively assess if someone is fit for the job.

That the previous person that lived in my house never cleaned their washing machine 🤢 Just uncovered about 8 years worth of sludge from the rubber door seal.

• Sick
Reactions: 3
I think the socio-economic background is not a reflection of anything. You can come from a low socio-economic background, but attended fee-paying schools and top universities with a plethora of financial sources of support. Higher education is free in many European countries, in order to provide the same chance to everyone. Same goes, you can come from an affluent economic background and decided not to attend college for various reasons. I really don't know the socio-economic background you at between 11-18 and should be factored in. People without degrees are still going to be rejected from jobs due to lack of higher education, the same way minority people are going to be rejected. Positive discrimination is only smokescreen.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. Just that, with what my SiL said about her company and the daily telegraph article it looks like it might become a common theme in recruitment

Reactions: 1
I have a fridge freezer and a under counter freezer.
My under counter freezer has randomly decided to just not work anymore. The door won't stick. It doesn't need defrosting and it's got a load of meat in it that i need to cook or lose.
Money is tight so i guess I'm cooking meat today

• Heart
I have a fridge freezer and a under counter freezer.
My under counter freezer has randomly decided to just not work anymore. The door won't stick. It doesn't need defrosting and it's got a load of meat in it that i need to cook or lose.
Money is tight so i guess I'm cooking meat today
Can you tape the door shut and order a new seal?

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I was going to apply for a rather interesting ESG role. Went through the regular education/experience questions, then I saw the "diversity" questionnaire requesting the below information:
  • Race affiliation
  • Highest level of education achieved by parents by the time you turned 18
  • What type of school did you attend (State-run selective school, state run non-selective, independent fee-paying school etc..)?
  • Would you describe yourself as coming from a lower socio-economic background compared to people in general?
I was astonished. What on earth is this? I don't believe these questions are genuinely asked in the name of so-called "diversity". These are quite discriminatory/intrusive questions that no one should be required to answer within the scope of a job application. It infringes several legal principles. Whilst I've seen "race" and "sexual orientation" being listed in questions for another companies, the above listed are the cherry on top. What does my parents' level of education or free school meals have anything to do with my professional capacities and credentials at this stage? Besides, the "compared to people in general" - what does this even mean? Smaller niche companies are sometimes out of this world with their application process.

Definitely cancelled the whole process once I saw these highly discriminatory questions in the same of "diversity". Yeah, right. Supposedly, the data will never be linked back to the individual application or be seen by the hiring manager. Well, surely enough, if they are part of the application questionnaire and you can't submit your application before answering these questions, then yes, by default the answers will be linked to your application. Who on earth are they fooling, I wonder.
Actually many companies, I would say most of the FTSE companies in the UK are doing this. You can choose not to answer them, is voluntarily. If it is mandatory then something is definitely wrong.

Discriminative goes beyond that, by looking at your name (ethic minority!) / address/ school/ years of experience, the people who screen you can profile your class, wealth, your age (this is so damaging for female, because god forbid you decided to have baby while on employment) based on all the information you submitted.

Idk what the solution is really :(

The fact that is now my kids holidays which i love but my husband has 3 times this week decides to have bleeping work done on the house whilst i would rather not. I get the jobs need to be done but i dont want them done right now, dont get why he cannot wait six weeks, probably irrational but annoying me all the same.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.