Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Well that makes me feel ancient.....for me it was a 10p mix-up! :rolleyes:

Just Seventeen magazine
The Body Shop's White Musk & Dewberry......later it was Ysatis, Amarige & Dune....the smell of those instantly transports me back to my youth (along with the smell of perm solution from the spiral corkscrew perms!)
Lynx Oriental (on boys and girls)
Levi's Jeans ads on telly
Buying your jeans from Madhouse or Benetton
The Adventure Game (like Crystal Maze) - anyone remember the talking plant?
Radio 1 Roadshow (skived off school to go!)
Wearing Grolsch bottle tops on shoes
Kickers, Pods and Hi-Tec Silver Shadow
Eerie Indiana
Sweet Valley High
Why Dont You?
Little House on The Prairie (cheesy and sentimental, I know!)
Top of the Pops & The Chart Show
Global Hypercolour colour-changing t-shirts
Magic Eye pictures
Etch-a-Sketch & Simon toys
Judy Blume books :love:
Those useless plastic Jelly Bags to go with your jelly shoes
"Love is....." cartoons
View Master Picture Reels
Plastic bread bag tags clipped onto your bike cables
Pez
Berol Handwriting pens (in a furry pencil case, of course)
Scented pencil rubbers
Popeyes from the Ice Cream Man at the school gates
Wimpy's Brown Derby or Knickerbocker Glory when you visited with the family.....or nursing a toasted tea-cake and a drink when you were with your mates (the epitome of sophistication!)
Mirrors with cartoon pictures on them (I had a Snoopy one)
Wonkey Donkey & Cat the Dog
Trevor & Simon (especially "We Don't Do Duvets"......absolute class!)
Sun-In hair lightener
Frosted Pink & Rimmel Heather Shimmer lipsticks
Poster shopping in Athena
Record shopping in Our Price, Virgin or Woolworths
Clothes shopping in Chelsea Girl, Etams & Mark One

I'll leave it there or I'll be here all night. Great thread!
Omg I think you must be me :LOL: Down to the odd wee things like cartoons mirrors - mine was a Peanuts one too.
Does anyone remember Blue Jeans magazine with their photo stories? My then boyfriend aged about 15, was in a story with his brother and Dad! We were so excited - people were so sweetly naive about being in the media back then.

• Haha
Reactions: 2

mags

VIP Member
River Island when they had the brown and green decoupage-style carrier bags

View attachment 24227View attachment 24228
Yesssss! :love:

Had a Saturday job there when River Island was still pretty new (used to be Chelsea Girl). Loved it!

Anyone remember the music played in River Island shops in the early days? We weren't allowed to play anything other than the official supplied playlists and it was all really old American blues/rhythm & blues type music from the 1950s-ish. Every time I hear Fats Domino's "Blueberry Hill" it instantly takes me back.

I love it that you mentioned Mermaids. I used to play the soundtrack non-stop in my bedroom......the Shoop Shoop song and "If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife!".....etc etc.

Stand by Me, Beetlejuice, The Lost Boys, Mannequin, Young Sherlock Holmes & Peggy Sue Got Married (with a young Nicholas Cage...swoon!) are also faves from around that time. Ahhh....good times!

Does anyone remember watching Junior Kickstart as a kid?

Oohthedrama

Iconic Member
C28A3383-47F9-4AAA-B1C2-1085FB5D79EB.jpeg

When cabbage patch kids lived their best Chris Ingham Life with no shame....

Take That, East 17 and erm Adam Rickett were my poster boys 🙊
Stickers were goals especially holographic ones 😂
Adam Rickets 😂🤣😂🤣😂 (don’t correct me!)
Nsync 😬 curly hair Justin. #justinandBritneyforever

Mayday

VIP Member

Sugar/Bliss/More....and any magazine that had a "good" freebie like Collection 2000 lipstick or a bright red lip liner.

Smash Hits with the posters, song lyrics and the occasional free cassette tape.
Yes!
Speaking of Smash Hits...the days when you had to sit through the entire top 10 or weekly releases countdown for the 1 song/video you were interested in seeing. And having to text in to get a song played.
And your favs miming on Top Of The Pops.

erin182

VIP Member
Smtv live. Wonkey donkey!!!
Mona the vampire/ Tracy Beaker/ Hey Arnold
Renting videos from blockbusters
Msn/MySpace - when you’d have something stupid as your myspace name like daniDinosawww
Emos hanging round town (in Liverpool it was the courts and the gardens)
Hub festival (Liverpool thing)
Having a massive computer with windows 98
Theme hospital, sim city and the sims 1
Pink sliding Samsung phones
Motorola razer phone
Blow up chairs/couches/ bags 😂
When a child fare on the bus was 50p
Pegleg at colomendy
PlayStation one - dance mat, Spyro, crash bandicoot and the noise the little mask makes 😂

Highlandcow

VIP Member
- Body Shop Dewberry and Ananya perfume
- Impulse body spray
- Neighbours - Todd and Phoebe, Brett and the diabetic Dani Stark, Cody Willis. There is also a piece of incidental piano music used when Lucy Robinson had a brain tumour that has stuck in my head all these years and I remember always hearing it in my head when my Mum left me at school each morning and I'd be upset
- Heartbreak High
- my best friend always went to sleep playing Enya on her stereo so when I hear her music I remember our sleepovers and her house
- same friend was also a fan of Celine Dion so I probs know more of her lyrics than I care to
- remembering there was a time when the Peugot 306 was considered sexy
- TV adverts for Peugot 105 (or was it the 106 🤔) with 2 girls on adventures and Reanult Clio ("Nicole?" "Papa?" 😂)
- more TV ads: You Know When You've Been Tangoed, Tampax with Haddaway's "It's my Life",
- The smell of real Christmas trees
- catalogues - Argos, Index, Freemans. I liked looking at all the pictures of the Christmas hampers and imagining all the crockery I'd have
- Maid Marian and her Merry Men ("its pancake day, it's pancake day, it's P-P-P-P-P-P-P-P pancake day!")
- The Big Breakfast with Johnny and Denise - I found an episode on YouTube last year and spookily it was from 20 years ago that very day
- This Life, The Knock, Anna Lee, The Chamomile Lawn
- Byker Grove, Grange Hill, Round the Twist, Goggle Eyes, Live and Kicking (081 811 8181, yeah)
- The Darling Buds of May
- remembering that me and my friends used to spend hours playing "elastics" (I think it's proper name is French skipping??) and the levels were called "ankles-ees", "knees-ees" and "bums-ees"
- being the backseat passenger in any car
- Planet Sound on Teletext. Used to read every morning. Big Fat Flying Bloke
- Kerrang! magazine every Thursday
- sugar paper, wax crayons, PVA glue
- FunFax
- thinking about the routine of school
- hearing any music my parents liked - Simply Red, The Shadows, various 60s and 70s bands
- Only Fools and Horses The Jolly Boys Outing - my favourite episode ever
- The Goonies, Home Alone, Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, Dirty Dancing, Mermaids
- If Wishes Were Horses (Channel 4 show about kids learning to ride)
- having a 'special tea' when family visited on Sundays, where we put crisps in bowls and I was allowed to arrange the biscuits/Tunnocks teacakes on plates
- weekly trip to Safeway
- collecting rubbers (pencil erasers!) and postcards
- Shops: Bay Trading, The Sweater Shop, River Island when they had the brown and green decoupage-style carrier bags

View attachment 24227View attachment 24228

- annual one week holiday to Weymouth and the need to have not sandals, but "canvas shoes" for said holiday

What a list ❤

Horatio

VIP Member
I can't remember if it was sugar who did sex position of the month?? Well, I brought the magazine with my pocket money for the free gift and my mum went marching with said magazine back to the post office because of how "disgusting" it was, mortified! Lol
OMG I remember position of the month ...wasn't it in more or maxim or something like that ?! Feel like sugar was too, erm, sweet for that...

Ignightmare

Yesssss!!!!!!!!!!
Smash hits magazine 🤣
with yet another boyzone notebook NOBODY EVER NEEDS.
😒
4 stickers all saying something along the lines of “girls crew” or “WOW” (pre lmfo and omg” days)
And a poster of “the wanted” as the centre fold 🤣

Waiting for a solid hour to get to the top 5, pressing record while HOLDING YOUR BREATH... and the damn DJ talks over the end of song 😒
Same time next Sunday then 😐
😂😂😂 im howling at these, didnt u ever rewind to when the dj started talking and tape over that part 🤷🏼‍♀️

Mayday

VIP Member
Cute thread idea. Seems many of us are a similar age, I identify with so many of these.

Magazines were definitely a big part of my life growing up too. Remember "mizz" which was big on the "cringe" embarrassing moments section? each confession would be awarded a different amount of money( between 1 and 50 quid I think ?) I'm struggling to remember the difference between shout and sugar? I remember thinking I was so grown up when I started reading things like this but at the same time magazines like cosmopolitan and more (?more?) seemed impossiblly adult and sophisticated. I miss devoting that much time to reading magazines as much as books, without the distraction of the Internet and social media. I remember so many things I read in them, such a formulative time of life.

I also miss renting videos and what a big deal it was when a big film finally came out. But every time there was serious excitement going to the shop to choose something. I guess losing that is part of growing up anyway but at the same time we are spoilt with a practically infinite choice of films to stream, nothing is special. Same with things like catching a glimpse of your favourite band or actor on TV. We are just so over saturated now.
I think Shout was a bit more for younger teens? (especially looking at it now where it seems more focused on Youtubers and online stuff with memes etc) where as Sugar tried to appeal more to 16-24, and I think covered more 'mature' stuff because of that like body image issues, health, relationships etc? They also tended to have a more wide range of celebs from what I remember with exclusive interviews, where as Shout tended to just use red carpet/event photos on the cover a lot of the time. I was quite sad when Sugar went bust tbh, I loved that and Company!

Anon96

Blackberries
Impulse spray
Hollister

Random one but when I watch a flock of birds in the morning/eve flying together it always makes me nostalgic watching them fly away in the sunrise/sunset

Horatio

VIP Member
Yes to superman followed by live and kicking i remeber that on Saturday mornings! And wasn't rugrats in there too somewhere?

Jimbob89

Programmes like only fools and horses, porridge, rising damp etc that i used to sit and watch with my dad when i was little. Also, tomato soup with cheese sandwiches dipped into it for sunday lunch!

PennyLane321

I love this thread 🥰

Cool waters perfume
Lacoste pink perfume
Joop aftershave - every guy in high school wore this
Boyzone/Westlife/B*witched/Aqua
Gold name chains
L’Oréal watermelon no tears kids shampoo
90s/00s RnB
Any 90s films or tv shows set in New York
Baby G watches

• Heart

iLoveMeSomeCanoles

Chatty Member
Press Gang with Dexter Fletcher
Fuzzy Felt especially the Space/Farm editions
Plasticine with the ridges that came in strips...not Play Doh
A la carte kitchen, with the advert with the little girl taking breakfast in bed
Collecting Pogs
Collecting ‘Cop Cards’, you would get cards from police officers with different scenes on them, if I remember correctly.
Simon and the Witch
T-Bag...”It’s time for high tea”
Watching Supergran at the weekend
Guessing what colour dress Cilla would wear on Blind Date just before the show started
Coca Cola Super Cans, they were just bigger cans of coke
Composing tunes on a Major Morgan
The Really Wild Show
A bath on Sunday, ready for school, drying your hair in front of the fire...watching London’s Burning/Heartbeat
Look In magazine/Fast Forward magazine
Listening to Worlds Apart/Brother Beyond...it was always about Nathan :love:🙈
Lycos chat, which was great before the whole ‘ship’ theme
Composing your own ringtones on your mobile...now everyone seems to have their phone on silent
Listening to Sugar Ray ‘Halo’ or Len ‘Steal my Sunshine’
Listening to anything on The OC soundtrack
Trackies with poppers, wearing Kickers shoes, NafNaf jumpers and coats, Kangol hats, Fubu tops, Tommy Hilfiger dungarees, The Sweater Shop sweaters, wearing a suit to go ‘out out’ in...with a corset top underneath, inspired by the Lady Marmalade video (Just me then 🙈)
Paula Danziger/Judy Blume books

Absolutely brilliant thread, have been cringing at some of the memories!
Fast Forward!! I can still remember the tune from the TV advert! There was a competition in one issue you could win a part in the BBC Chronicles of Narnia adaptation of The Silver Chair. I wanted to enter it but my parents wouldn't let me.

Reactions: 1

runner28

Antiques Roadshow- my parents used to watch that when I was a kid
cassette tapes i taped songs off of the radio for playlists

Reactions: 1